Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-23, 20:36   Link #1
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Any Samurai based anime

Hey everybody, I'm looking for some anime based on historical Samurai anime, preferably with lots of sword duel. I want to recommend it to my friend. Keep in mind, he already has watched most of mainstream samurai anime, apparently, he has already watched Ninja Scroll, Afro Samurai and Shigurui and thought they were great. I'm looking for ones like those.

I thought he would like House of five leaves, I showed him a pilot episode, he didn't seem too enthusiastic about it. He didn't care too much for Rurouni Kenshin, either. So do you have any anime that comes in mind? Also, if it's old school and good story, the better.
Old 2011-05-23, 21:11   Link #2
jedinat

Not sure how someone can think Ninja Scrolls and Afro Samurai are great, yet stick their nose up at Rurouni Kenshin... if the TV series just won't do, get him to look at this OVA.

Shura no Toki
Samurai Champloo
Kazemakase Tsukikage Ran
Old 2011-05-23, 21:29   Link #3
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Hakkenden

It's all about samurai and it should be old school enough.

Old 2011-05-23, 22:23   Link #4
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Samurai Deeper Kyo - Oldschool, Lots of action, but story? ehhhhh ...

Peacemaker Kurogane - Good but not ridiculously action packed, although the fights are very detailed and consistent with authentic historical sword fighting...

Samurai 7 - A weird futuristic and dystopian world were old school Samurai fight...Lots of good fighting...

Basalisk - Basically in the genre of Ninja Scroll with lots of gritty, nasty, mid-90's kinda flair...

Samurai Champloo - 2nded!

Hilarious your friend dislikes Kenshin in the beginning (where it's amazing), since most informed animeheads all know your supposed to hate Kenshin in the end (When it's dry, boring, and stupifyingly religious^^)...
Old 2011-05-23, 22:29   Link #5
Haladflire65
*Artist

Sword of the Stranger - a movie with awesome, awesome fight scenes, great soundtrack and endearing characters. It's one of my firm favourites. Nanashi, the protagonist ronin samurai, is epitome of badass.
Old 2011-05-23, 22:31   Link #6
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I'm going to 2nd/3rd these animes.

Samurai Champloo
Sword of the Stranger
Samurai 7
Old 2011-05-23, 22:42   Link #7
hoshikuzu

I really really liked Samurai 7
Old 2011-05-24, 03:38   Link #8
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Not sure how someone can think Ninja Scrolls and Afro Samurai are great, yet stick their nose up at Rurouni Kenshin... if the TV series just won't do, get him to look at this OVA.

Shura no Toki
Samurai Champloo
Kazemakase Tsukikage Ran
Actually I think with Rurouni Kenshin, it was the drawing that turned him off. He likes the gritty, bloody and realistic or stylish action. With Ninja Scroll, it was the movie he liked not the series. I wasn't even aware of the fact there was a series about Ninja scroll.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely get him to check out the aforementioned titles.
Old 2011-05-24, 05:32   Link #9
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Yes I definitely second Sword of the Stranger. It has probably the best animated sword fight you'll ever see.
Old 2011-05-24, 05:39   Link #10
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Hakuouki Shinsengumi Kitan. The first season was just plain average, but the second season nearly blew me away.
Old 2011-05-24, 07:13   Link #11
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclectic View Post
Actually I think with Rurouni Kenshin, it was the drawing that turned him off. He likes the gritty, bloody and realistic or stylish action. With Ninja Scroll, it was the movie he liked not the series. I wasn't even aware of the fact there was a series about Ninja scroll.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely get him to check out the aforementioned titles.
How could I have forgotten Kurozuka...If he wants super bloody stylish action then definitely show him this...I had to stop watching it because it was too hardcore for my tastes, but it's one of the most visually cool sword fighters ever (Ninja Scroll on LSD type $hit with the insane colors)...Just too much gore for me...
Old 2011-05-24, 08:12   Link #12
kitten320

Didn't watch many of samurai shows but I heard that Samurai 7, Basalisk and Samurai Champloo are good.

I can also recommend Hakuouki which is about Shinsengumi organization, despite having some fantasy elements it seems to be accurate with what happened in real history, at least that's what I heard from some viewers.
Not extremly action packed but still has nice action moments.
Old 2011-05-24, 18:12   Link #13
Rahan

I am afraid I don't have a single suggestion, but

Basilisk is all about fantasy ninjas fighting fantasy ninjas. The role of the samurais (don't even remember if there are any) don't extend behond the role of wallpaper or flower pot. But well, if he liked ninja scroll, it's really similar. It's like a Naruto for growns up playing Romeo and Juliet.

Samurai deeper kyo plain sucks However, the manga is a masterpiece.

Mugen no Junin (not mentioned here yet I think) plain sucks too but the manga is even better than Samurai Deeper Kyo's.

Vagabond is one of the better ongoing mangas. However, it has not even been animated. (well, it's kinda a good thing since it's not over and I would not like to see Musashi involved in crappy fillers)

This thread made me realize the lack of good samurai anime (I think I have seen everything mentioned, and the only TV series I like is champloo), even though the material is there. Is it too much to ask to see Miyamoto Musashi taking names and kicking ass animated ? Where are the animes ala Zatoichi / Lone Wolf and Cub ?

At this point, Gintama might be the best samurai anime, but it's not really a samurai anime and it's even less old school. But at this rate, the only alternative will be moe samurais ...
Old 2011-05-24, 18:19   Link #14
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
Is it too much to ask to see Miyamoto Musashi taking names and kicking ass animated?
Well, you do see that in Shura no Toki.
Old 2011-05-25, 17:23   Link #15
Niji

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Well, you do see that in Shura no Toki.
Yeah, but it can hardly be called a samurai anime.

If the friend does not mind some magical elements in the samurai action, I can suggest Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto. It is obviously about the Bakumatsu era, so there are guns, and westerners and stuff as well.

Also, Blade of the Immortal, again, if some magic element is in order.

I wonder whether he would not also want to check out Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari. It is not a samurai anime as such, it plays in Bakumatsu era as well though, and is pretty gritty. It is quite trippy too, not sure he would appreciate that. But it is pretty good IMO, if one has tolerance for horror somewhat, and can appreciate the special art style.

And yeah, Lone Wolf and Cub, and the likes... I would buy.

Last edited by Niji; 2011-05-25 at 17:37.
Old 2011-05-26, 06:50   Link #16
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

For me, I guess the setting doesn't really matter as long as it has a good choreography and nice story to go along with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
I am afraid I don't have a single suggestion, but

Basilisk is all about fantasy ninjas fighting fantasy ninjas. The role of the samurais (don't even remember if there are any) don't extend behond the role of wallpaper or flower pot. But well, if he liked ninja scroll, it's really similar. It's like a Naruto for growns up playing Romeo and Juliet.
Well thanks anyway. I've already checked Basilisk out, and I think my friend already did too. From what I saw, it was decent but it was a little too slow for my liking. Too bad, the villain was quite interesting and there was a lot of build up too but the plot dragged out too much.
Old 2011-05-26, 18:27   Link #17
kitten320

Just started it myself, you can try out Sengoku Basara series, it has 12 episodes and seems to have a movie and season 2.
Though some fight moments are portayed in fantasy way with lights and stuff... but still try to take a look.
Old 2011-05-27, 00:13   Link #18
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclectic View Post
Hey everybody, I'm looking for some anime based on historical Samurai anime, preferably with lots of sword duel. I want to recommend it to my friend. Keep in mind, he already has watched most of mainstream samurai anime, apparently, he has already watched Ninja Scroll, Afro Samurai and Shigurui and thought they were great. I'm looking for ones like those.

I thought he would like House of five leaves, I showed him a pilot episode, he didn't seem too enthusiastic about it. He didn't care too much for Rurouni Kenshin, either. So do you have any anime that comes in mind? Also, if it's old school and good story, the better.
If your friend is up for live-action, the currently playing 13 Assassins is 100% samurai and loaded with intense fighting sequences.
Old 2011-05-29, 20:21   Link #19
-Ryuji-

Completely agree with Samurai Champloo, seconding Blade of the Imortal,
also gona add Peacemaker Kurogane, and Katanagatari
Old 2011-05-30, 16:40   Link #20
kitten320

Just watched and also second Sword of the Stranger, some great sword action with some great soundtracks.