AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-27, 23:46   Link #181
lolicon

You know, I'm getting impatient with waiting to see what happens. Tomorrow I'm just going to buy the bloody book and read it asap.
Old 2004-10-28, 02:07   Link #182
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolicon
You know, I'm getting impatient with waiting to see what happens. Tomorrow I'm just going to buy the bloody book and read it asap.

Yes. you should -_-

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2004-10-28, 02:40   Link #183
ato
Oups...

Or, if you really are the impatient type, you could try reading it online from Project Gutenberg. Here is the actual link
Old 2004-10-28, 02:49   Link #184
Kimblee

Just watch the movie they released a year or two ago.
Old 2004-10-28, 04:28   Link #185
panianna

No, don't watch the movie. The Hollywood product was a complete and utter disaster. I've rented the movie two weeks ago and was disgusted by the changes they made. I am a tolerant person, otherwise I would't watch the newest GONZO installment, but the way the Americans treated Dumas classic was unaccaptable. If you don't want to read the book, skip the movie and find either French TV series with Depardieu or Russian movie 'The Prisoner of Chateau d'If', the latest being the best novel adaptation I've seen so far.
Old 2004-10-28, 16:46   Link #186
Albert

Talking

http://a.scarywater.net/akeep/
Old 2004-10-29, 14:13   Link #187
Kayoubi
Togame's Sword

Thumbs up

this new anime is totally stunning by everything visually~ can't believe how it is artistically done. its worth watching just to appreciate its style.
Old 2004-10-29, 15:27   Link #188
BigFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimblee
Ep 3 was interesting.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-10-29, 18:18   Link #189
TheLaughingMan
Nee-san is...

Send a message via AIM to TheLaughingMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidSavage
Spoiler:

I'm still not too keen on the Count being some sort of vampire. I think it's kind of overblown, especially when he made his enterence.

I could also never picture Maximilian as some sort of hulk. At least they kept the romance aspects in place for now.
In the book, between Countess G and the others, it was often a tongue and cheek joke about him being a vampire. I also didn't expect Maximilian to look like the hulk, but his personality seems right.

Concerning Mercedes in the book
Spoiler:

I really don't mind the adaption so far, except for the young bandit... boy showing up again.
Old 2004-10-29, 20:48   Link #190
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
Well, if anything this show is going to popularize the book some. I just picked it up last weekend, and am currently 50 pages into it . I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 2004-10-31, 01:49   Link #191
FlyByNite

Beppo is just too hot a girl to be a dude, geez...

Ep 3
Spoiler:
Old 2004-10-31, 10:18   Link #192
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by panianna
No, don't watch the movie. The Hollywood product was a complete and utter disaster. I've rented the movie two weeks ago and was disgusted by the changes they made. I am a tolerant person, otherwise I would't watch the newest GONZO installment, but the way the Americans treated Dumas classic was unaccaptable. If you don't want to read the book, skip the movie and find either French TV series with Depardieu or Russian movie 'The Prisoner of Chateau d'If', the latest being the best novel adaptation I've seen so far.
There IS another movie version. It's a good deal older- maybe 20 years, but it is very faithful to the novel. If you must have your fix, I recommend watching that.

Oh, and this series is DEFINITELY my favorite for the moment. It's just so dark and artistic, it's telling the story well, and it hasn't descended into the realm of fanservice (unlike much of the rest of this season). The music, too is very well employed. And I love both the OP and ED.
Old 2004-11-02, 21:49   Link #193
Joe Dalton

Impresive so far. Being a fan of the story seeing it produced in this setting is allot of fun. They took some artistic liberties wich im enjoying greatly. I am looking forward to the new installments.
Old 2004-11-04, 07:35   Link #194
LinChoiSin

after rereading the novel and seeing ep 3 i can say that i 'm very pleased with Gankutsuou.So far the only thing that bothers me is the Beppo thing because since it's not in the book (the part with him being in paris) i don't know what's going to happen to him.Since the novel is complex i'm not looking for a faithfull adaptation,all i ask for is to keep the original ending.i really can't wait to see the next episodes.
Old 2004-11-08, 07:58   Link #195
Retsoor

Just saw episode four and they're holding the strings together pretty well, best episode yet in my opinion. It's obvious they can't bring all the material over but they're cutting corners skilfully. Peppo's character got a complete overhaul from episode two and no longer seems useless, quite the contrary.

Does anyone know who is Haidee's voice actor?
Old 2004-11-08, 09:19   Link #196
BonBon
Rabu-rabu-zura?

I am very much enjoying this adaptation. I read the novel some years ago, and still remember it fondly. Things are far more overt in this version - the count's appearance, the fact that he cannot be seen in photographs, the way Vampa's knife didn't harm him at all...but this is, after all, set in the future; all these are feasible without having to have supernatural explanations.

It's true that there have been great liberties taken, from making Luigi Vampa much more of a brute than a gentleman, but to be honest, the tension of the episode was upped by this alteration, and even though it does not show the real intricasy of the count's plan having him just some arbitrary bandit, it DID make the count more of a formidable physical presence. I prefer the book's version - but like this version, too.

It's an adaptation. It's set in space. Changes are good.

In fact, rather than dreading them, I look forward to the changes and want to see what differences they make to the story.

I like the starting point. I like the younger Morcerf becoming protagonist. I like how the Count's mystery to us is just as it is to the members of society...and how we are not familiar with Dantes and how he came to be the man he is.

I am really enjoying what Gonzo are doing here. And that goes for the visual aspect, too.

-BonBon
Old 2004-11-09, 02:07   Link #197
Otaprince

------------------------------------------

Last edited by Otaprince; 2008-11-13 at 07:15.
Old 2004-11-09, 13:34   Link #198
auriya

After episode 4, Beppo has definitely become my favorite character too.
Spoiler:

Anyway, thus far Beppo and the other changes from the original novel seem to work well for the story. (I haven't read The Count of Monte Cristo, by the way, so I can't judge which version is better; take my comments for what they're worth.)

Episode 4 was great. I love the Count's house; the cg patterns were especially effective in this scene and made the gold walls dazzling. I also appreciate how General Morcef doesn't send out sinister-villian-vibes immediately, even though we know he must have wronged the Count in the past; he gives the impression of being a respectable guy. Poor Albert is such an impressionable boy, no wonder it's so easy for the Count and Beppo to manipulate him. His stupid pirate outfit was amusing.

And, there's a swordfight in the preview.

I think the Count is literally a vampire, but not in the traditional Dracula way... Maybe he encountered some strange alien technology in his travels? Maybe it's those pills he eats instead of food...
Old 2004-11-09, 15:42   Link #199
ato
Oups...

Ah, it felt a bit like ep 4 was a bit of a set-up episode. Though the scene where...

Spoiler for Episode 4:

Ahhhh, wonderful!

Anyway, my take on the "mechas" is the ed is that a morally corrupt upper class with ultra high-tech at their disposal will probably find interesting passtimes to indulge in... Or have a duly appointed proxy participate in, should it happen to incorporate bodily harm, heh. My wild stab in the dark is that they are more powered suits than mechas, but I guess we'll see... Maybe it's just a ruse?
Old 2004-11-09, 16:38   Link #200
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by auriya
After episode 4, Beppo has definitely become my favorite character too.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Closed Thread