Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-02, 19:30   Link #1
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Dropped shows that I should rewatch

Before I start to rewatch these shows, can anyone here help me that I made good decision or not, judge by the shows. I recently rewatched Ouran High School Host Club after dropped it in 2006 only after 4 episodes and this time I re-dropped it after 6th episode. Haruhi killed the show much faster than Tamaki himself and thanks to her, Tamaki is no longer in my hate list anymore. Now back to topic...

Special A: dropped after 7 episodes
Probably the best show on list. Reason I dropped in the past is not because I started to hate it but rather lose its source to see it. Only recently that its now available but yet I need some advice to see it since I already saw lots of people hated it when they compared it to Ouran, which is unfair.

Golgo 13(2008): dropped after 2 episodes
Not fan of its violence and style but some people who saw it say it is good. Are they right or just lying?

To Love-ru(first season): dropped after 7 episodes
Fillers just ruining the show but some people actually like the second season in Autumn 2010. Irony?

Iron Man: dropped after 2 episodes
Not much to say here but I just learned this show might won't improve itself after that.

Wolverine: dropped after 2 episodes
See Iron Man above.

Umineko: dropped after 2 episodes
Blasphemy alert! I just find not as great as people said. However people criticized me for dropping it too early.

Ouran(duh): dropped after 6 episodes
Why I putting this one on list? Some people say I dropped too early before any good episodes appear. No fan of its humor and characters(Ore no Imouto had more interesting characters but never get full credits for that) either. My only problem with this show is Haruhi and only Haruhi. You can call me troll for that but I just want good recommendation from people who watched and loved this show.
Old 2011-06-02, 19:41   Link #2
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... I would read the Special A manga if you can find it ... much better than the anime, which honestly also disappointed me.

But other than that ... umm ... to be honest I would not particularly recommend you force yourself to re-watch any of those you listed.
Old 2011-06-02, 19:59   Link #3
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Honestly, all I can tell you is to literally give those anime a second chance. I know there are some titles I dislike that everyone otherwise favors, and my repertoire also has things I fancy that not a lot of people have an affinity for. You can try to gain the opinion of other people as much as you want, but there's no substitute for experience. And in all likelihood, my or any other person's interpretation of the traits you've seen aren't going to be eye-to-eye as far as convincing you to watch a dropped show.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2011-06-03, 14:55   Link #4
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

The only one I've watched out of that list is Umineko. Honestly I wouldn't bother with that one. It does slowly reveal more about the characters but it's still horrible underwhelming. It's another DEEN abomination.
Old 2011-06-03, 15:58   Link #5
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Don't really bother with Ouran if it doesn't suit you. The humour is exactly how the first episodes portray it. Just more and more characters added later on. There are people who like that, there are those who don't.

That's from a person who saw the whole show. Still don't understand why I bothered to give it any chance. Definitely not my cup of tea.
Old 2011-06-03, 17:13   Link #6
GreatTeacherKen

I liked Ouran quite a bit, but if you dislike the show and its main characters that much after six episodes, I don't think you'll like the show at all.
Old 2011-06-03, 18:12   Link #7
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka
Special A: dropped after 7 episodes
Probably the best show on list. Reason I dropped in the past is not because I started to hate it but rather lose its source to see it. Only recently that its now available but yet I need some advice to see it since I already saw lots of people hated it when they compared it to Ouran, which is unfair.
Well, they're both shoujo anime based on popular shoujo manga, set in sparkly elite high schools among exceptional people. I can see why people would compare them, and IMO the Ouran anime is indeed far superior.

I liked the manga a lot though. Did you read the manga too? It does drag and repeats, but it has that underlying fun atmosphere about it (plus Kei is love ).

A warning: if what you didn't like about Haruhi of Ouran is her denseness to romance, stay away from Special A. Stay very far away. Hikari is super, super, super duper dense. I was okay with it because, well, Kei is love. I know he'd get through to her in the end. XD

Quote:
Golgo 13(2008): dropped after 2 episodes
Not fan of its violence and style but some people who saw it say it is good. Are they right or just lying?
Golgo 13 is for old school fans of old school manly violence. You don't like what you see, you aren't the target fanbase.

I don't either, for the record. I watched it to see for myself the old school mentality and...eh.

Quote:
Ouran(duh): dropped after 6 episodes
Why I putting this one on list? Some people say I dropped too early before any good episodes appear. No fan of its humor and characters(Ore no Imouto had more interesting characters but never get full credits for that) either. My only problem with this show is Haruhi and only Haruhi. You can call me troll for that but I just want good recommendation from people who watched and loved this show.
I'd say if you hated Haruhi that much after 6 episodes you won't like Ouran no matter what. I loved it but I felt so from the first episode and you weren't missing out the "good" ones with what you watched so far.

I always find it curious that people could hate it but eh, comedy is comedy and I know a lot of shows I thought mediocre or positively despise that other people worship. You aren't alone either, there's a substantial part of the anime fanbase that didn't quite like Ouran very much. Weirdos.

At least you didn't hate it for the twins. I hate people who hate it for the twins (homophobes, the lot of them!).

So, thanks for the effort to rewatch, not many people gives second chances; but it does seem like it's not your cup of tea after all.

OreImo is a strange one to compare to this though. They're pretty far apart in genres as far as anime goes.
Old 2011-06-03, 20:24   Link #8
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

If you saw 6 eps of Ouran and you don't like it I doubt watching any more of it will make you like it. Actually for me i found it to be not as interesting on the second watch... I only re-watched episode 1 and I watched that 2 years after I watched it the first time so i didn't that episode in detail but something abt it was just liike... it's not as fun/interesting as i remembered it to be.

I think all the stuff you dropped should just be left droppped. go watch other anime geez.
I 'm sure all the fans _ anime you listed will push you to continue watching it but honestly only continue watching if YOU like it.
Old 2011-06-05, 00:37   Link #9
LonelyGirl
Observer.
*Artist

I loved Ouran a lot when I first saw it, but if you don't like the characters after episode 6 you probably won't like the rest of it. I thought Ouran was a lot better then Special A...
Old 2011-06-07, 13:40   Link #10
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Iron Man was genuinely poor imo, and while I feel the same for Wolverine, some people apparently liked it...
Quote:
Some people say I dropped too early before any good episodes appear.
Truth be told, 2 episodes is indeed too early to drop, but in some cases things just never get better. Imo 6 episodes should be enough to decide whether or not you like a show, although there are a few exceptions that make a 180 turn after 12+ episodes...
Old 2011-06-08, 04:53   Link #11
Honoakari
Lurking Member

Quote:
Umineko: dropped after 2 episodes
Blasphemy alert! I just find not as great as people said. However people criticized me for dropping it too early.
The anime is just a butchered version of the original material. You should go play the VN instead.
Old 2011-06-08, 05:04   Link #12
hoshikuzu

Ouran gets better later in the episodes, it does get dreary at the beginning after all the character intros.
Old 2011-06-10, 01:03   Link #13
InitialGT

to love-ru isn't gonna change..the focus is ecchi not a story
Old 2011-06-10, 16:11   Link #14
Rahan

I liked Golgo but if you didn't like the first 2 episodes, you can give up on it. It's episodic and there is zero progress between the first episode and the last one. The first episode is just as conclusive as the last one. The last episode could have been broadcasted between the first 2 and no one would have been able to tell. Newer episode just brings more of the same

Didn't see many people rating it very highly though. The fanbase of this show is quite small outside Japan (dunno how it is in Japan. I know the manga is revered as an antique, but I am not sure it's still popular) It took years to get subbed entirely because no one cared enough about it to work on it ...
Old 2011-06-11, 18:29   Link #15
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Thanks guys and now I can reconsider these shows...

May give it a try again:

Special A
Golgo 13

Should stay dropped:

Wolverine
Iron Man
Ouran
Umineko
To Love-ru

New entries:

07-Ghost: dropped after 3 episodes
An annoying yaoi-bait shows like Gensomaden Saiyuki except that Gensomaden Saiyuki is good but this show isn't.

Pandora Hearts: dropped after 3 episodes
The only reason I dropped it because Spring 2009 is a busy season for me and I want to concentrate on Valkyria Chronicles, Sengoku Basara and K-On. Maybe I should pick this one again someday.

The World Only God Knows: dropped after 3 episodes
Much like Pandora Hearts but this time on Yosuga no Sora, Ore no Imouto and Ikamusume. I also don't see what the hype on it. Again Autumn 2010 is another great season.

Nyan-Koi: dropped after 2 episodes
I just learned this show won't improve itself after that.

Hourou Musuko: dropped after 2 episodes
WTF I'm just watched

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt: dropped after 1 episode
WTF I'm just watched again?
Old 2011-06-11, 20:11   Link #16
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
07-Ghost: dropped after 3 episodes
An annoying yaoi-bait shows like Gensomaden Saiyuki except that Gensomaden Saiyuki is good but this show isn't.
I resisted a lot longer than you, for about 16 episodes. I was hoping that there was something other than the obvious fan service. Nope...

Quote:
WTF I'm just watched
Well if you are totally uninterested about the tematics of transexualism and what children with gender disphoria have to go through in their everyday life... leave it as it is...

But Hourou Musuko is the manga that better depicts the problem and in the most realistic way.

Old 2011-06-11, 22:57   Link #17
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Much like Pandora Hearts but this time on Yosuga no Sora, Ore no Imouto and Ikamusume. I also don't see what the hype on it. Again Autumn 2010 is another great season.
Do give this another try. The show gets better later on, and season 2, which is currently airing, is better than season 1.

Quote:
Should stay dropped. I like it, but, yeah, if you don't like it after two episodes, you won't change your mind.

Quote:
WTF I'm just watched
Not sure about this one. If the thematics of gender disphoria isn't for you, you're probably not going to get much out of it. But if you were bewildered by the sheer amount of characters introduced in the first episode, some of which cross dress and look different yet again, then you should give it another try: sticking out that confusion - the show starts in the middle of the manga with no introduction to speak of - is well worth it. This show is a master piece (topping even Madoka, IMO) for its subtle portrayal of emotion. Once you get a feel for who is who, you'll love it. (Or maybe not. I'm biased, since it's one of my favourites ever.)

Quote:
I only managed half an episode; I'm curious about the answers you get, too.
Old 2011-06-12, 00:46   Link #18
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I'm not sure about this approach to ask other people for opinions for series you've dropped really. It's so much easier to just...watch it in your best mood or something and see how you feel.

That said,
Quote:
It's godly but eh, some people don't get it. I was a very big fan of the manga first though. I don't see why you'd mention Yosuga no Sora alongside this one. They have almost nothing in common. :/

What didn't you like about it anyway?

Quote:
It won't really change. Cute girls, harem, cats. Unlucky main character. Light-hearted fun. You didn't like it you aren't going to like it.

Quote:
WTF I'm just watched
A rare piece of mature, serious treatment of gender identities...populated by characters just entering puberty. Most anime get by with laughs and jokes on genderbending (and that's fine), but Hourou Musuko takes the topic seriously.

That said, I thought the manga went way convoluted with all the young teen drama angst. I gave up on it at some point; frankly I've had enough of puberty as it is. The anime however doesn't really continue that far, so it's quite excellent.

Quote:
Divine revelation.

R-rated vulgar-as-fuck Powerpuff Girls on crack.

Gainax at their high, rather literally.

Pick one.
Old 2011-06-12, 20:07   Link #19
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:

WTF I'm just watched

The World Only God Knows if you didn't like the particular girls focused on then I'd say give another chance, as comparatively Ayumi and Mio were a bit rushed compared the arcs of every other one so far, really the series's appeal is Keima being a good male lead, comedy, and romance with different girls without the whole harem issue while having a story to it .

Nyan Koi, I'd say give it two more episodes since if you don't enjoy after a certain character appears then the chances of enjoying it after that aren't to high.

Hourou Musuko I'll second what has been said.

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
is a love it or hate it show it seems, I hated it utterly, but from people I know watched of it and liked it's pretty much the same style throughout the series, so suggested leave it dropped.
MAL
Old 2011-06-15, 04:36   Link #20
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
How could you drop Golgo 13?

IT IS SO FULL OF GAR AND AWESOME.

Everything else is stuff I dropped, too, so I don't blame you on those...