AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-15, 19:43   Link #121
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Well we know for a fact you're a fan of her work Drago-v-;;. With that inviting signature you have, who wouldn't wanna read Velvet Kiss or any other of her series?^^;;.
Old 2011-06-15, 19:47   Link #122
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I am a fan, but that isn't to say I like everything she's done. I'm not totally biased (if that's what you're implying).

And I am hoping to attract more fellow readers with the sig. I did it with Kimiiro Focus too.
Old 2011-06-16, 01:11   Link #123
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Hedgehog love? Never heard that one before, boy is it spot on.
it comes from Evangelion. When Ritsuko was talking about Shinji with Misato thats the way she described relationship. You still need warmth so you go for it, but at the same time you are afraid of getting hurt but in the end you still get close even if that undoubtedly lead to getting hurt. Like hedgehogs.

It perfectly described Shinji and Asuka's relationship in the series, or any relationship in the series in fact (of course I am talking about original one and not that utterly dumbed down Rebuild which is nothing but an Evangelion for dummies).
Old 2011-06-16, 08:05   Link #124
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah!! I remember now!
Old 2011-06-17, 03:25   Link #125
Darknemo2000

Well there they called it a hedgehogs Dilemma rather than Hedgehog Love but its pretty much the same.

LCeh

Spoiler for Sp:
Old 2011-06-17, 15:59   Link #126
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
it comes from Evangelion. When Ritsuko was talking about Shinji with Misato thats the way she described relationship. You still need warmth so you go for it, but at the same time you are afraid of getting hurt but in the end you still get close even if that undoubtedly lead to getting hurt. Like hedgehogs.

It perfectly described Shinji and Asuka's relationship in the series, or any relationship in the series in fact (of course I am talking about original one and not that utterly dumbed down Rebuild which is nothing but an Evangelion for dummies).
Spoiler for eva crap if you haven't seen it or don't care:

Still Velvet kiss of most of the ero mangas, isn't even all that compelling, At least in the previous title done by the artist, there was a juxtaposition to loyalty to a loved one and loyalty to the job, this just seems to be a convuluted story concoted so that they can have kinky sex with out it seeming too generic.
Old 2011-06-17, 19:30   Link #127
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
not surprising

it's women mangaka who are more open about these things.
They've been doing this since Sei Shonagan and before that.

The somewhat recent B Gata H Kei and Aki Sora for instance, were both drawn by women

male mangaka prefer to run in circles around the issue, which is why you get so many silly harem hijinks
The normally more "complex" minds of women mangakas make the reading more "mature" and complex

Of course, sometimes things get crazy like with Itosugi Masahiro's works (A Wish of My Sister, Aki Sora), which are things that I doubt most people would even attempt
Old 2011-06-18, 02:15   Link #128
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Spoiler for eva crap if you haven't seen it or don't care:

Still Velvet kiss of most of the ero mangas, isn't even all that compelling, At least in the previous title done by the artist, there was a juxtaposition to loyalty to a loved one and loyalty to the job, this just seems to be a convuluted story concoted so that they can have kinky sex with out it seeming too generic.
It plays of modern times understanding of sex - no strings attached. It is compelling as long as you understand the modern times.

It is pretty obvious that the debt was not the (unlucky accident, but carefully carried out plan. Not by Kano but by someone else who is cunning and scheming enough.

What purpose it serves - no one knows and its one of the mysteries in this manga.

Kano has no problems in having sex - she had plenty of orgies in the past, but she obviously never felt that sex would start feel - well sensual and intimate.

Before it was just casual act that she didnt even enjoyed too much (her 'friends' talking about how hse usually was etc tell us that). Just kind of social duty to keep communicating with her 'friends'.

Now sex turning into making love and it confuses the hell of her, specially when her partner (Nitta) isnt even noticing the changes apart from her becoming more sensual. But he thinks she is justr a nympho and that she is like that all the time.

So yeah for me - it's compelling/ Theonly thing that makes me puzzled is that Nitta never tried to find the girl who placed him in his debt - this part is indeed unrealistic, but everything looks fine and touches a deeper meaning that most msut manga's do.
Old 2011-06-18, 03:29   Link #129
Nosauz

then notion that sex is nothing more than an action in "modern times" is absurd, it's meant to be pleasureful, thats why we do it, that is the "modern" understanding to sex, it is no longer solely intimacy but yea you get the nuanced clash between intimate sex and sex for the sake of pleasure, but due to the ero manga's nature it really isnt fleshed out at all, their sex for the most part simply indicates their pleasure although we are to believe that some how Nitta is attached to Kano, in the end it's based on what you like but if you think Nitta is solely having sex with Kano because it's pleasureful I feel like we're reading the wrong manga. If you look at something like Ring x Mama, although its a sex fest, specifically love and devil, where there is character development, interesting plot twists etc, but this just feels schizophrenic at times.
Old 2011-06-18, 03:48   Link #130
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
then notion that sex is nothing more than an action in "modern times" is absurd, it's meant to be pleasureful, thats why we do it, that is the "modern" understanding to sex, it is no longer solely intimacy but yea you get the nuanced clash between intimate sex and sex for the sake of pleasure, but due to the ero manga's nature it really isnt fleshed out at all, their sex for the most part simply indicates their pleasure although we are to believe that some how Nitta is attached to Kano, in the end it's based on what you like but if you think Nitta is solely having sex with Kano because it's pleasureful I feel like we're reading the wrong manga. If you look at something like Ring x Mama, although its a sex fest, specifically love and devil, where there is character development, interesting plot twists etc, but this just feels schizophrenic at times.
The dpeth comes from Kano rather than Nitta.

Kano has a deadpan expression disinterest in having sex, despite that she used to have sex with her 'friends'. As a mean to connect herself however, she never really enjoyed it
Spoiler for spoiler:

The reason she starts having sex with Nitta is not real;ly because she expects pleasure but again because she leeks seeing 'adults' without masks. Sex is just another mean to do that (Kano is mentally twisted character). We have had that revelation in chapter 7.

She hoewver eventually starts enjoying it and being very sensitive, something that she did is not used to feeling during sex.

Just like she is not used at having someone saying "Goodnight" for her.

Kano is an ultimately lone figure. She never is really friends with her 'friends', she is a highclass so doesnt live in commoner world either. she does not associate with her family and instead of living with them spends her time alone in hotels.

She is actually a very lonely figure in this manga whom everyone fail to understand or even try to.

Nitta is much more simple. You should not expect much depth from him. But Kano is certainly an interesting character to explore who gives plenty of depth for this manga.

I dont think the author really intended to hit all those sociaty themes in here, just like Evangelion never intended to turn to some issues that it eventually turned into, but thats how it happens sometimes with stories that turn out better than they were really intended to be.
Old 2011-06-18, 08:10   Link #131
Khalil

Just popping in to say, ch. 11 is out.
Old 2011-06-18, 12:22   Link #132
LCeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Spoiler for Sp:
Spoiler:
Old 2011-06-18, 22:49   Link #133
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Hmmm...

Spoiler for Chapter 11:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalil View Post
Just popping in to say, ch. 11 is out.
Thanks but, I think most people use MU or some other method of finding out. Tell us your thoughts on the chapter next time.
Old 2011-06-18, 23:20   Link #134
jzmagic
flargansbog

Quote:
Hmmm...

Spoiler for Chapter 11:

Thanks but, I think most people use MU or some other method of finding out. Tell us your thoughts on the chapter next time.

Spoiler for predictions:
Old 2011-06-19, 02:16   Link #135
Darknemo2000

Those who downloaded the chapter from soba-scans early or read it from manga-fox

It is missing one page

http://i52.tinypic.com/dxiljd.jpg

So redownload and reread it again.
Old 2011-06-19, 06:11   Link #136
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I came her because of Dragon's signature. XD

Just read up to chapter ten in one go, interesting artwork... I mean story!

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2011-06-19, 14:19   Link #137
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmagic View Post
Spoiler for predictions:
You know, I don't think she will. That innocence factor is still pretty big in Japan, right? And being the weak and pure hearted reader I am, I hope she doesn't, haha.
Old 2011-06-19, 14:31   Link #138
Nosauz

Quote:
You know, I don't think she will. That innocence factor is still pretty big in Japan, right? And being the weak and pure hearted reader I am, I hope she doesn't, haha.
Eh considering there is a genre based on NTR, I wouldn't go that far. Anyway I think this will be similar to her previous work, and that Nitta and Kano both won't "really stray" when referring to the relationship.
Old 2011-06-21, 22:04   Link #139
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Only in shounen

Which this isn't

It's mentioned earlier, women authors are more open about thing.

To simplify things, shounen is all about the chase, couples take a long time to have sex, if ever. The woman becomes the prize. It's sad to say that often sex itself is the unsaid but de facto goal. This is why purity and virginity is a bigger issue.

Shoujo romances are more about staying together, so couples tend to confess earlier, and if its for a more older audience, they also have sex earlier. Sex is often used as a trial or obstacle instead of a goal. Which is why you see more rape or implied rape in shoujo. It chalenges the male character, and poses a question to him: "can you love me after all of this?" "Am I just a prize and is my virgin unspoiled body all that you care for"?

Which style of storytelling do you think, Velvet Kiss follows? To me, it's clear they follow the latter
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell

Last edited by Key Board; 2011-06-21 at 22:15.
Old 2011-06-22, 03:50   Link #140
EroKing

Ah yes, another person here who started reading this after looking at DragoZERO's delicious siggy

Already caught up till chapter 11 and enjoying it. I can already see the ending - Kano and Nitta as a real couple. Though watching the roller coaster of the drama as to how they get there is sure as hell going to be entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post

It's mentioned earlier, women authors are more open about thing.
lol as soon as my perverted mind read that line i was grinning hard

Tags
borderline hentai, harumi chihiro, manga, mature, romance