AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-07-14, 17:42   Link #101
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Appreciate the thread, surprised it wasn't stickied but some nice peeps linked me here.
Will be checking out a few series for 2010 since I didn't catch a single damn thing that was released back then.

Domo

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 18:44   Link #102
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I can only speak for myself, but the 2011 one will be far more intense; 2010 really lacked choices for me.

Even at this point, I wouldn't even know who to vote for best soundtrack. And no, the likes of YnS and Angel Beats aren't gonna be contenders for drama [neither is awful and I think i actually voted for Yosuga no Sora, but if they aired in 2011, they'd have no chance whatsoever]

Edit: Also watch Kirino become 2-time worst character winner, even though she doesn't really appear or do anything particularly bad in this year's specials! >.>

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-07-14 at 19:00.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-15, 04:39   Link #103
klare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Edit: Also watch Kirino become 2-time worst character winner, even though she doesn't really appear or do anything particularly bad in this year's specials! >.>
no worries, this year we have QB
Old 2011-07-15, 04:56   Link #104
Kyuu
=^^=

Funny. I never paid attention to these threads. Granted, in the past, I've been hardly here.

But really? Kirino as worst character? Can't handle her, huh? (After watching MM!, I really must be masochist)

EDIT: After quick scan of the archives, this is probably the only thing that I'll disagree with.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-15, 05:19   Link #105
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
QB for President.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-15, 08:08   Link #106
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
All glory to the Hypnotoad QB!
Old 2011-07-15, 09:15   Link #107
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
I can only speak for myself, but the 2011 one will be far more intense; 2010 really lacked choices for me.

Even at this point, I wouldn't even know who to vote for best soundtrack. And no, the likes of YnS and Angel Beats aren't gonna be contenders for drama [neither is awful and I think i actually voted for Yosuga no Sora, but if they aired in 2011, they'd have no chance whatsoever]

We can still end up with really questionable/limiting choices once the nomination is done.

I mean by far the biggest problem that I think is likely to crop up again is that if you haven't seen the most popular shows in a year then there's basically no reason to show up for this beyond the nomination process.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-15, 14:43   Link #108
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
The popular shows this year are actually good though; you're not gonna see stuff on the level of Angel Beats and Unlmited Blade works here. So they should be watched! I kid, slightly... except for UBW.

Do you think it'd just be more simpler to have the nomination phase and screw the last part?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-15, 14:48   Link #109
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Best anime year since 2007 easily!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I mean by far the biggest problem that I think is likely to crop up again is that if you haven't seen the most popular shows in a year then there's basically no reason to show up for this beyond the nomination process.
I wouldn't exactly call Cross Game, Katanagatari and Shiki some of the most popular shows of that year yet they all won awards.... and it's not like Summer Wars and FMA Brotherhood had heaps of discussion here either....
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 00:56   Link #110
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

One thought that came to mind to me for the AS choices awards for next year is to hold out on Fall 2 cour shows finishing before beginning the awards. These shows are too disadvantaged otherwise IMO.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 20:43   Link #111
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
One thought that came to mind to me for the AS choices awards for next year is to hold out on Fall 2 cour shows finishing before beginning the awards. These shows are too disadvantaged otherwise IMO.
Going by the current rules those shows wouldn't be eligible for the 2011 AS awards but would be for the 2012 awards.

This rule is the reason why Cross Game could only run in 2010 despite being a Spring 2009 show.
Old 2011-07-18, 20:57   Link #112
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Going by the current rules those shows wouldn't be eligible for the 2011 AS awards but would be for the 2012 awards.

This rule is the reason why Cross Game could only run in 2010 despite being a Spring 2009 show.
Exactly, that's why I said to opt to allow 2 cour shows because by awards time they're almost practically finished.

Cross Game was a 4 cours though so I figured it wouldn't fit. But meh I guess it doesn't really matter.
Old 2011-07-19, 01:22   Link #113
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Exactly, that's why I said to opt to allow 2 cour shows because by awards time they're almost practically finished.

Cross Game was a 4 cours though so I figured it wouldn't fit. But meh I guess it doesn't really matter.
I'd hardly call episodes 14~18 range "practically" finished, and I'd hate to see a show get "best storyline" or something and then have an awful ending .

Also Rules we were applied againist series of last year in the exact same position [see Star Driver and Index II].
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 01:29   Link #114
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

What I was saying is not to allow unfinished series in the awards but to delay the awards until these series are finished. But I realized this isn't quite feasible so meh.
Old 2011-07-19, 04:48   Link #115
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

(should really get through my backlog, but I'm sort of bored atm)

While I don't exactly agree with Reckoner about the Fall 2-cour shows being at a disadvantage (since as we've seen here, Cross Game was a 2009 show and not among the most discussed the past year, and yet here it is) I do think we can hold out the competition until the end of Winter 2012, where the rest of the '11 titles would have already been completed.

I understand the logic behind the current system: We get a selection of 4 seasons (Winter, Spring and Summer of the year, with some titles from the previous Fall and the year's so it should even out) and it also fits since The Winter anime start at the end of the year, so it fits.

However, there are problems with that sort of system. Aside from how Anime seasons don't exactly follow traditional seasons exactly, I think that having us exclude the 2-cour titles from the Fall does put them at the risk of being forgot at the next year's awards, especially the more obscure/unpopular titles.

Also, It opens up more choices. I think it's better to have more shows to pick from (and for them to get through, so I think increasing the number of nominations to 5 instead of 4 would help).

Other things to consider: Movie series should really have the same restrictions as OVA's (meaning they can't be nominated unless the series is finished) and that they are only allowed in the Movie category (It's already unfair to TV shows having to compete against them).

Also, we need to cut down on the amount of categories.
Old 2011-07-19, 05:18   Link #116
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Other things to consider: Movie series should really have the same restrictions as OVA's (meaning they can't be nominated unless the series is finished) and that they are only allowed in the Movie category (It's already unfair to TV shows having to compete against them).

Also, we need to cut down on the amount of categories.
Movies do have to be finished[and out on DVD]... that's why KnK series wasn't in the allowed list until 2009.

And really I see the amount of categories as fine, they generally cover different genres or aspects of series, so I am hard pressed to see which could be removed without adding new ones.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 07:36   Link #117
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
(should really get through my backlog, but I'm sort of bored atm)

While I don't exactly agree with Reckoner about the Fall 2-cour shows being at a disadvantage (since as we've seen here, Cross Game was a 2009 show and not among the most discussed the past year, and yet here it is) I do think we can hold out the competition until the end of Winter 2012, where the rest of the '11 titles would have already been completed.

I understand the logic behind the current system: We get a selection of 4 seasons (Winter, Spring and Summer of the year, with some titles from the previous Fall and the year's so it should even out) and it also fits since The Winter anime start at the end of the year, so it fits.

However, there are problems with that sort of system. Aside from how Anime seasons don't exactly follow traditional seasons exactly, I think that having us exclude the 2-cour titles from the Fall does put them at the risk of being forgot at the next year's awards, especially the more obscure/unpopular titles.
I have to disagree with you and Reckoner here. This is for the following reasons:

1. It would disadvantage one cour Winter series even more than they already are. The reason being that if we adjusted the time of the vote the way that you have suggested, by the time we voted on 2011, the Winter 2011 shows would be more than a year in the past. As is, they already may fall out of people's memories moreso than the more recent Spring and Summer and (one cour) Fall shows.

As is, two-cour shows that begin airing in Fall are no more disadvantaged than one cour shows that begin airing in Winter are. Both will be almost a year old by the time they can be voted on. So I actually see the current system as more fair than what you and Reckoner are suggesting.

2. As a matter of personal taste, I like for annual awards (of the "Best of 20XX" variety) to happen as close to January 1st as possible. It's been my experience that the closer we are to January 1st the more people tend to thoroughly reflect upon the past year.

Also...

Quote:

Also, It opens up more choices.
No it doesn't. Two-cour Fall shows would simply be shifted one year back. So a two-cour Fall show airing in 2011 would be a "choice" added to AnimeSuki 2011 Choice Awards, but at the expense of it being removed as a "choice" for the AnimeSuki 2012 Choice Awards.

In the end, it would all balance out.

Also, if there's any year that doesn't need more choices, it's this extremely strong 2011 that's going to have plenty of good, hard choices as it is, in my opinion.

Quote:

This, at least, I agree with you on.
Old 2011-07-19, 17:40   Link #118
Kirarakim

I didn't vote but I randomly looked at the winners for this year and previous years and this is one of the first times that I agreed with the winners. I was really happy to see Cross Game get so many awards (that was my favorite series of the last 2 years).

Also nice to see Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (even though I prefer the manga). Shiki and Disappearance get recognition from these forums.

I do agree with others that 2011 is going to be a tough year to decide. It's the first year in awhile where I enjoyed/am enjoying so many different series.
Old 2011-07-21, 12:33   Link #119
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

@Triple R

Fair enough. I'm wasn't so gung ho about the idea, even though I wanted to see it implemented, but I'll settle with the current system since this year has been strong enough as it is to not really warrant a dramatic change in the structure.

Besides, I think that other matters like cutting down / reworking categories need more attention anyway.
Old 2011-07-23, 09:25   Link #120
hanasanaide

whoho!! cross game all out win!

Tags
choice awards