AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-08-01, 19:43   Link #33441
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
More like one fine day I had a detailed discussion with a friend about the bare bones of the 'verse, and walked away from it feeling just a little horrified. Never again!
Combining the parts of the HxV Files that we've seen, deathcurse's tendencies, and the comments you've been making, I am now morbidly curious.

Accent on the "morbid" part.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 20:06   Link #33442
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Quote:
More like one fine day I had a detailed discussion with a friend about the bare bones of the 'verse, and walked away from it feeling just a little horrified. Never again!
Best not to think too hard on the implications .....

Remember, crack pairing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Combining the parts of the HxV Files that we've seen, deathcurse's tendencies, and the comments you've been making, I am now morbidly curious.

I'm not that bad! No one dies or anything!

........maiming doesn't count, right?
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 20:11   Link #33443
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Eh, maiming is another thing that often gets thrown in for a cheap gasp. Like death it needs to have impact. A very good example is what happened to Louise in Gundam 00.
Old 2011-08-01, 20:13   Link #33444
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:

Well....

Spoiler:

It's not exactly morbid, I suppose, but it does paint Hayate overall in a rather unflattering light. When you strip away everything else though, I mean.
Old 2011-08-01, 20:20   Link #33445
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Eh, maiming is another thing that often gets thrown in for a cheap gasp. Like death it needs to have impact. A very good example is what happened to Louise in Gundam 00.
I think it depends. Honestly, it's never so much the actual moment of being maimed, but the fallout of what happens afterward that should be the purpose of such an event (like a death too). And it's not so much "OMG Villain cut The Girl so the Hero is now in a Unstoppable Rage!!!!", but "what did the maimed character lose? How does this impact their view of themselves/the world/others? How do other people react to the event or the character?" All of which provides a lot of room for meaningful character development, if the writer actually follows through and doesn't just let it be a spectacle then fade into the background.

Quote:
Well....

Spoiler:

It's not exactly morbid, I suppose, but it does paint Hayate overall in a rather unflattering light. When you strip away everything else though, I mean.
Viewed with rose-coloured glasses on , it could be a story of two people who work really damn hard to love each other despite social and emotional hurdles?
Old 2011-08-01, 20:21   Link #33446
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
Viewed with rose-coloured glasses on , it could be a story of two people who work really damn hard to love each other despite social and emotional hurdles?
Indeed. It's when the rose-colored glasses come off that the fridge horror begins, which is why I make it a habit of not thinking all that deeply about the Files for fear of where my thoughts would lead me.
Old 2011-08-01, 20:22   Link #33447
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I imagine everyone else here was figuring the actual implications that RB was hinting at would be much worse, given who dc is...
Old 2011-08-01, 20:24   Link #33448
sniperk
Overgrown Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I imagine everyone else here was figuring the actual implications that RB was hinting at would be much worse, given who dc is...
Too true.
sniperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 20:26   Link #33449
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Depends on how badly maimed.

Err... *Looks at Nanoha* ... Good thing she can't move right now.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 20:28   Link #33450
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Quote:
Indeed. It's when the rose-colored glasses come off that the fridge horror begins, which is why I make it a habit of not thinking all that deeply about the Files for fear of where my thoughts would lead me.
Never crossed my mind . Else I worry that I wouldn't be able to enjoy my crack pairing so much anymore ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
That's okay, I can get it out of my system with non-canon shorts . Besides, you guys are all looking at it wrong--I've got to help build it up to be something fun, cute, and sweet ...so that all our readers will be so emotionally invested in the relationship that when Shigan allows TragedyWriter!deathcurse out to play, things will be even more tragic than if it had all started out angsty!
Old 2011-08-01, 20:29   Link #33451
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
That's okay, I can get it out of my system with non-canon shorts . Besides, you guys are all looking at it wrong--I've got to help build it up to be something fun, cute, and sweet ...so that all our readers will be so emotionally invested in the relationship that when Shigan allows TragedyWriter!deathcurse out to play, things will be even more tragic than if it had all started out angsty!
I knew you had some kind of evil plan lurking behind all of the sweet sugary fluff.
Old 2011-08-01, 20:32   Link #33452
sniperk
Overgrown Kid

Quote:
Now the cat's out of the bag... I'm honestly affraid to keep reading this...
sniperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 20:35   Link #33453
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Quote:
I knew you had some kind of evil plan lurking behind all of the sweet sugary fluff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperk View Post
Now the cat's out of the bag... I'm honestly affraid to keep reading this...
Er....I had forgotten to stick a "j/k" in my original post ......but I won't bother editing it, it's not like anyone would believe me anyway!
Old 2011-08-01, 21:13   Link #33454
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Oops, you guys went a little overboard.
Old 2011-08-01, 21:38   Link #33455
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
I think it depends. Honestly, it's never so much the actual moment of being maimed, but the fallout of what happens afterward that should be the purpose of such an event (like a death too). And it's not so much "OMG Villain cut The Girl so the Hero is now in a Unstoppable Rage!!!!", but "what did the maimed character lose? How does this impact their view of themselves/the world/others? How do other people react to the event or the character?" All of which provides a lot of room for meaningful character development, if the writer actually follows through and doesn't just let it be a spectacle then fade into the background.
Yeah, which is why I listed Louise as an example. She was just an ordinary girl, going about her happy life despite the war that was going on. And then her entire family is killed and she loses a hand. She litterally got hit with a hard dose of reality and the way it was revealed by her refusing a ring from her boyfriend because she lacked the hand to wear it on was exceptionally well done. The event kick starts her instability that goes into the 2nd season, with her becoming a pilot bent on revenge.

Tad off topic, but again, this is an example I'd point to if you want to do something like that right.
Old 2011-08-01, 22:02   Link #33456
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Well....

Spoiler:

Well..."She's your mothers' best friend!"/"She's your best friends' daughter!" is actually kind of right out there on the table from the beginning, honestly. But then, you haven't had the benefit of having your ear chewed off by me for really needing to figure out where Nanoha and Fate are coming from in all this the way deathcurse has to hold up the large neon signs.

(But man, yeah, like everyone else, I was expecting something really awful to come out and show up. Maybe not AtomicoX awful, but at least pretty bad.)
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 22:05   Link #33457
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

That's the worst thing about pigeon holing. I just hope dc doesn't feel pressured into making things tragic just because everyone expects it of her.
Old 2011-08-01, 22:30   Link #33458
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Well..."She's your mothers' best friend!"/"She's your best friends' daughter!" is actually kind of right out there on the table from the beginning, honestly. But then, you haven't had the benefit of having your ear chewed off by me for really needing to figure out where Nanoha and Fate are coming from in all this the way deathcurse has to hold up the large neon signs.

(But man, yeah, like everyone else, I was expecting something really awful to come out and show up. Maybe not AtomicoX awful, but at least pretty bad.)
Indeed. Just, again, my mind kind of going out there and sort of imagining something nasty, though granted my thought is no where near as bleak as the one 'verse Bad End DC has already shown us where Hayate breaks Vivio's heart and causes her to rip through lovers like they're clothes.

I wanna see more of that Bad End, btw. Hint, hint.
Old 2011-08-01, 22:38   Link #33459
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Quote:

Yeah, but I did try to tone down the "She's your aunt"/"She's your niece!" aspect , since it's a different level of awkward than the "mothers' best friend/best friends' daughter" issue ....I had hoped to side-step that by Vivio's forethought to nip their "aunt/niece" relationship very early on .

(.........*resists....urges....* Man, I have to write PotB faster, if I want to get to ahem, later Hayate x Vivio fics that aren't as obvious in how they'd end! )

Quote:
That's the worst thing about pigeon holing. I just hope dc doesn't feel pressured into making things tragic just because everyone expects it of her.
Thanks for the concern, but I doubt anyone would ever succeed in pressuring me to write something that I hadn't planned on doing anyway . But yeah, folks--how can I keep surprising you guys with terrible tragedy if you all come to expect it all the time from me?

Quote:
Indeed. Just, again, my mind kind of going out there and sort of imagining something nasty, though granted my thought is no where near as bleak as the one 'verse Bad End DC has already shown us where Hayate breaks Vivio's heart and causes her to rip through lovers like they're clothes.

I wanna see more of that Bad End, btw. Hint, hint.
LOL'd at "rip through lovers like they're clothes" for the many puns inherent in that phrase .

Hmmmmm.........what incentive is there for me?
Old 2011-08-01, 22:41   Link #33460
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
But yeah, folks--how can I keep surprising you guys with terrible tragedy if you all come to expect it all the time from me?
Probably because you always manage to surprise us with what the terrible tragedy is.

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha