AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-05, 19:14   Link #761
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I think that the challenge is classic Ikuhara misdirection. The hat has teleported to Himari's head before, so if it wanted to escape the truck, it could have. Instead, it's using this as a trick to get Ringo and the brothers to comply with its demands.
It almost certainly is a way for the Queen to manipulate the brothers. At the very least, they would be forced to stop Ringo the next time she attack the hat.

The hat is probably indestructible and can be anywhere it wants. But it is always handy to have people who would defend it.
Old 2011-08-05, 20:03   Link #762
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Well then, after watching episodes 3, 4 and 5, I think I can safely start to lay down some predictions.

A lot of people seem to be impressed with Kanba in episode 5, where he saved the day at the expense of turning into a bloody pulp, which I do agree was quite a feat thats worth respect (plus the music was pretty awesome suring the chase scene), but that was just one act that made it further clear that Kanba Takakura is no guardian angel, but a demon mad in love.

I said back during episode 2 that the skill sets Kanba has are clearly suspicious and that people involved in shady businesses would have them, and after 3 and 5 it's all the more clear that whatever Kanba is doing in the background is something pretty shady alright.

When the show gets around to open his closet, what's going to be truly horrifying isn't that he was keeping skeletons in there, but what sort of skeletons they are. Being knowledgeable in breaking and entering, having no qualms about searching and stealing others belongings, and getting debt from men in black ... all for the sake of Himari. Going that far for his sister is truly admirable enough, but I can't help but wonder where exactly the line is drawn to make him think that he is going to far ... if there is one in the first place.

On the other hand, Sho seems to be getting in over his head by all of this (which I thought fit the theme of episode 5 as the 2H message moreso than don't get into debt) and after breaking into Ringo's home (something I want to point out is the scene where he refused to get into her room, where the contrast in light between Kanba and Sho, with the former being in darkness and the other in the light ... pretty telling no? ) getting deeper into the stalking mess (ending with him saving Ringo's life and not taking the credit +1 in my book) he tried approaching this mess in a different fashion than what his brother suggested (you know, just steal it. I wonder if Kanba would've let Ringo drown?) and that's by being honest. A very naive approach, but one at least trying to solve things in a more moral fashion (though it doesn't work at all )

I think that Sho is set to have a really huge fall, if we go by the trash can theory in episode 1, he might end up going through a similar fate as Ringo.

Speaking off, Ringo. Girl has balls, even if she hulked out at the PotC sort of unfairly (I mean, she didn't lie ) but it was pretty awesome seeing her crawl back from the toilet Sho's hole and go all the way.

Really hard to say what's going to happen to her from her on out after the events in episode 5, other than her facing an early demise if we go by Ronny's theory about her sister, but I do think that she might be more inclined to help the siblings now that she's in the know.

What's interesting is that like Sol Falling observed about her different modes (normal and mission) is that she sort of reminds me a bit of Kanba in how far he is willing to go for Himari, she seems to be pretty much the same in regards to her dairy when she goes into the mission mode.

The penguins remain a great source of amusement and insight into their owners, especially how No.2 kept getting stuck in things and just getting swarmed by stuff

So yeah, from episode 1 to 5, this had had maintained a great level of quality. I hope it can maintain it for the nest 19 episode

P.S. Man, the Takakura's household is having a serious roach infestation problem. They should really look into that soon.
Old 2011-08-05, 20:16   Link #763
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I think that Sho is set to have a really huge fall, if we go by the trash can theory in episode 1, he might end up going through a similar fate as Ringo.
And what is Ringo's fate anyway? I mean, she's a crazy stalker with a daddy complex. Do you think Shouma is going to develop a daddy complex and become a stalker?

No seriously, can you elaborate on this? What kind of "fall" are we talking about?
Old 2011-08-05, 20:25   Link #764
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I noticed that the skunk from ep 4 is featured in the ED, alongside that Armillary Dial and the double snake symbol on Ringo's diary (I think those two have been mentioned here).

Spoiler:

Are all of these hints to the Penguindrum?
Old 2011-08-05, 20:29   Link #765
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

It would be very odd to have a skunk being a clue for the Penguindrum, but I do think they might be clues to it, especially since the symbol for Ringo's dairy is there as well (though maybe they're all red hearings ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
And what is Ringo's fate anyway? I mean, she's a crazy stalker with a daddy complex. Do you think Shouma is going to develop a daddy complex and become a stalker?

No seriously, can you elaborate on this? What kind of "fall" are we talking about?
He's already one of those things though!

What I mean is that Ringo path is going to end up with her
Spoiler for theory:
Old 2011-08-05, 21:59   Link #766
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I noticed that the skunk from ep 4 is featured in the ED, alongside that Armillary Dial and the double snake symbol on Ringo's diary (I think those two have been mentioned here).

Spoiler:

Uwah? Is that actually the skunk? I guess I can sorta see it by that's a pretty ambiguous looking blob right there.

If the symbols in that scene are significant though, then I just wanna point out that the cosmos/globe in the top center was shown in the doctor's office and the curled fish-thing on the bottom left was the new phone-strap on Ringo's father's cell phone. Both of these things where shown in episode 5, I've got no idea if they've showed up earlier.
Old 2011-08-05, 22:16   Link #767
guess

so.... is this another sailor moon or utena? too early to tell?
Old 2011-08-05, 23:11   Link #768
gsilver

So, is there a reason why torrents for this show aren't showing up here? As far as I can tell, it shouldn't be on any license or blacklist.
Old 2011-08-06, 00:10   Link #769
Kazu-kun

Quote:
What I mean is that Ringo path is going to end up with her
Spoiler for theory:
Ok, this is interesting...
Spoiler for theory:
Old 2011-08-06, 00:10   Link #770
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
So, is there a reason why torrents for this show aren't showing up here? As far as I can tell, it shouldn't be on any license or blacklist.
It's a software glitch of some kind. I've edited its entry, and hopefully that fixed it (it does show up on the beta site).

EDIT: and now it's back on the main site.
Old 2011-08-06, 01:36   Link #771
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

So you guys think there will be a 'Break the Cutie' troop somewhere in the future

But yeah. If there is one thing that i admire in Ikuhara's works, that was his ability to break out the cliche in character relationship (*coughUtenacough*, among other things of course). As most of us now would expect the teacher to end with with his fiance. Shoma will be with Ringo. Kanba or Himari willrealise that they are not blood-related and end up with each other. Penguin Queen will return to her world. While the jealous Natusme (the one who looks like Judi) will turn nice somehow..

However if it is not the case. We could be have the anime of the season right here (too soon to say through)
Old 2011-08-06, 02:42   Link #772
4Tran

Quote:
P.S. Man, the Takakura's household is having a serious roach infestation problem. They should really look into that soon.
They can't - they don't have the money, so they'll have to rely on #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
If the symbols in that scene are significant though, then I just wanna point out that the cosmos/globe in the top center was shown in the doctor's office and the curled fish-thing on the bottom left was the new phone-strap on Ringo's father's cell phone. Both of these things where shown in episode 5, I've got no idea if they've showed up earlier.
The phone-strap hasn't, but the armillary sphere was in episode 1 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
so.... is this another sailor moon or utena? too early to tell?
Penguindrum is very different from both Sailor Moon and Utena so far, and I don't anticipate that changing. The two older shows were extremely structure-based while Penguindrum revels in being almost structure-free. About the only things it uses from those other shows are similar directional stylings, and a few visual/storytelling elements. And even these are used in different ways in Penguindrum.

It only makes sense since Ikuhara could have made a show very similar to the other two if he had wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
However if it is not the case. We could be have the anime of the season right here (too soon to say through)
I don't think we have to worry about Penguindrum being very conventional in the near future (and probably not even at the end). Then again, I'm having a hard time thinking of a current show that can compare favorably to it.

It's a pretty simple equation: a risky show = potential for either greatness or utter failure. A less risky show = less potential for both. I think that this can be best seen in iDOLM@STER where the very talented creative staff are heavily constrained by the nature of the show they're making.
Old 2011-08-06, 02:51   Link #773
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

This episode was just wow. Now we have the GAR character of the year.
Old 2011-08-06, 03:58   Link #774
Sides

Quote:
Think it has more to do with family relationship, rather than a daddy complex.
As for Shouma, he will be probably sacrificed by Kanba to save his little sister, only saying it because Kanba seems to be a really shady person.
Old 2011-08-06, 05:12   Link #775
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Damn I can't believe Ringo stood up to the penguin queen like that. That was totally brilliant. And Kanba was certainly badass in getting that hat back too. I'm amazed he didn't break his legs being dragged like that.
It seems the physics side in Ikuhara's anime is tended to be ignored purposefully, like how the penguin, the crane's aim, the hat can support Kanba's weight at such drag.

Like in Utena, they have that 45 degrees leaning tower, car kept running on wall,while a whole horde of elephants running on a suspension bridge
Old 2011-08-06, 05:21   Link #776
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Novel spoilers? *read somewhere in this thread* I thought this was anime original @_@

Quote:
I don't know about shape-shifting, but the black penguin in the OP is probably
Spoiler for interview with Ikuhara:
Troll or nor, that somehow explains Penguin Queen's black penguin costume O_O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post

Spoiler:

A skunk? I thought it was some pokemon at first though, haha. Looks similar to one of them... forgot the name.

But those symbols are probably hints to the Penguindrum indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
As for Shouma, he will be probably sacrificed by Kanba to save his little sister, only saying it because Kanba seems to be a really shady person.
I see it possibly but badly hope that it won't happen. My twins... no ;_;

Anywayz, Episode 5 is so awesome for showing how evil Natsume-sama could be, how kickass Ringo could be, how adorable Shouma could be, and how... err... shocking Kanba can be~ Squee~
Old 2011-08-06, 05:30   Link #777
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Holy shit Kanba.

Siscon so great he ignores the laws of physics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
That doesn't sound likely, IMO. Kanba feels like he can go through any lengths, do anything, hurt and kill anyone for Himari, except Shouma. If anything I fear he might be far too willing to sacrifice himself for Himari if he knows Shou will stay by Himari's side in the end ("save your innocence for Himari").
Old 2011-08-06, 09:19   Link #778
Jan Jansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
This episode was just wow. Now we have the GAR character of the year.
But is that character Kanba or Ringo?
Old 2011-08-06, 09:36   Link #779
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Jansen View Post
But is that character Kanba or Ringo?
Stop wasting post asking for the obvious answer. Of course it is penguin Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I don't think we have to worry about Penguindrum being very conventional in the near future (and probably not even at the end). Then again, I'm having a hard time thinking of a current show that can compare favorably to it.

It's a pretty simple equation: a risky show = potential for either greatness or utter failure. A less risky show = less potential for both. I think that this can be best seen in iDOLM@STER where the very talented creative staff are heavily constrained by the nature of the show they're making.
Ok, let's expect this then: Ringo is the stalker, and Kanba is the obvious siscon. Then Sho is gay for Kanba. Himari is les for Ringo. The teacher and actress are two non-identical incest twins. Bring it on....
...actually it will be a little bit weird if that's the case...

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2011-08-06 at 09:55.
Old 2011-08-06, 09:54   Link #780
SassyRobot

Ep 5

Episode 4 was not my favourite, probably because it had too much hyper delusional girl Ringo and her antics (although the cut-out theatre was well done). But I gotta say this episode 5 and even Ringo were great this time. Ringo is just an intense character, but this time around her stubbornness really pays off, when she faces off against Penguin Queen

The penguin antics were amusing, as usual. I like the detail of the wind pressure on Penguin #1 face during the intense bike chase.

Some interesting observances and theories being posted here. I'm gonna have to reread them and rewatch the episode.
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, ikuhara, penguin, stalking, supernatural, surrealism