AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-08-03, 12:01   Link #2781
Kyuu
=^^=

Yup. When it comes to game rules, the NFL has been quite progressive in this department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari
NCAA is doing anything and everything they think will make the most money.
Unfortunately, they're not listening to those who think a playoff system is a good idea. And that includes President Obama (during his election campaign).

And if anything, the NCAA could be making more money with a playoff system in football. For evidence, look no further than March Madness. Of course, there are only so few weeks to play and so many college teams out there. However, it should be very possible and easy to implement a combination of the BCS system with a playoff system.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 15:08   Link #2782
solomon

It's all about the college presidents.

If they write off on it, it will happen. Until then people frankly need to get over it (especially YOU ESPN).
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 12:24   Link #2783
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

[Meaningless] Coaches' Pre-season Poll:

1. Oklahoma (42)
2. Alabama (13)
3. Oregon (2)
4. LSU (2)
5. Florida State
6. Stanford
7. Boise State
8. Oklahoma State
9. Texas A&M
10. Wisconsin
11. Nebraska
12. South Carolina
13. Virginia Tech
14. Arkansas
15. TCU
16. Ohio State
17. Michigan State
18. Notre Dame
19. Auburn
20. Mississippi State
21. Missouri
22. Georgia
23. Florida
24. Texas
25. Penn State

Others receiving votes: Arizona State 158, West Virginia 149, Utah 50, Miami (FL) 49, Iowa 41, Northwestern 30, Arizona 28, UCF 22, Michigan 19, Air Force 15, North Carolina 14, Houston 13, South Florida 9, Hawaii 8, Clemson 7, Tennessee 7, Southern Miss 6, Brigham Young 5, North Carolina State 4, NORTHERNIL 4, Oregon State 4, Pittsburgh 3, Washington 3, Nevada 1, Georgia Tech 1,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
And if anything, the NCAA could be making more money with a playoff system in football. For evidence, look no further than March Madness. Of course, there are only so few weeks to play and so many college teams out there. However, it should be very possible and easy to implement a combination of the BCS system with a playoff system.
Give the top 16 a playoff to determine the champion and have Bowls for those that are eligible. I tend to like the lower tier Bowls due to the interesting match-ups. There are a couple of good games we never would have seen (UNC vs Tennessee, UCF vs. Georgia, Northwestern vs Texas Tech, Kansas State vs Syracuse, Florida International vs Toledo, etc.) if it weren't for Bowl match-ups.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 13:28   Link #2784
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Anybody looking forward to the college gridiron?

Most people are looking at Alabama and Oklahoma as the best chance for the Natty.

FSU is a variable if they win against the Sooners. They should easily win the ACC this year. Keeping with ACC, hoping my Cavs can break even and go bowling. Also interested in seeing how Clemson does with it's new OC and how Maryland does under Randy Edsall.
Absolutely. I love college football-- I'm a big time Michigan fan. They have quite a way to go to restore their program, but I think Hoke will put them back on the map. I'm not so sure if he's the long time answer, though-- as he's 50-something years old and this is his first BIG TIME gig as a head coach. I know Rich Rodriguez got a bad rep here, but I would have been open minded towards him getting one more season, especially when he had two 5 star recruits in Dee Hart and Kris Frost before being fired, which lead to them decommitting. The entire Big 10 is practically a joke right now, their best days are behind them at the moment. All I can hope for is about 7 wins and finally knocking off Ohio State this season.

But yeah, I love college football, but I am certainly more excited for the NFL. I've always loved pro football just a bit more than college, but I'm a huge fan of both, that's for sure.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 15:54   Link #2785
solomon

Big 10 a joke? Compared to what? When it was just Ohio State and Michigan OWNING all?

Ok a little exaggerated but honestly, the Big 10 is fine. It's just thanks to Ohio States dumbassery it lacks a National Championship contender. You have killer programs in OSU, Michigan, PSU and now Nebraska. Then you have solid runner ups in Iowa, Wisky and now MSU. Northwestern always quietly does well. Then you add the potential at Indiana (you see that QB coup?) and Minny (Kill will do well there) and it's a close runner up to the SEC.

Brady Hoke will be just fine at Michigan, he's got a great staff and has shown he can win with MUCH less tools than Michigan has. Believe it or not you don't need to be a dynamo name to succeed at coaching.

I actually like college better than pros due to the sheer number of teams and the atmosphere. Plus the structure of the BCS is stupid but damned if it doesn't provide drama.

As an ACC guy, I am watching to see if Florida State can beat those Sooners. If they do, easy National Championship contender because I doubt even VPI can stand up to em this year.

Otherwise, aside from my personal interest in Virginia there admittedly isn't much to get jacked about in the ACC this year, everyone is kinda in a transition period. Miami is your best bet to see get back to the promised land quickly. If they get solid QB play, they could turn some heads.

Outside of the ACC, I am interested in how Shaw will do at Stanford. They have the Luck but do they have the LINE? Wanna see if ASU can live up to the hype and if UCLA will FINALLY STOP SUCKING.

Those Aggies from College Station should be good to go, this could be their year if they get some breaks. Of course, Mike Gundy and his cowpokes may have something to say about that, not to mention that lil outfit up in Norman.

SEC is gonna be fun as always. People are all talking Bama but don't sleep on those Cajun Tigers or even those Hogs for that matter. I like Carolina to win the East but they won't get past whoever wins the West imho. Nutt better get his ass in gear at Ole Miss cause Dan Mullen ain't running no zombie program at State.

TCU and Boise should be fun to watch as always. Can't forget about the rumored Return of the Luck of the Irish.

That's pretty much it

(As much as an underdog homer I am, not even I can say anything noteworthy about the Big East this year. They'd better get their shit in Gear or TCU is gonna go Bobby Bowden on their asses).
Old 2011-08-04, 16:01   Link #2786
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post

Give the top 16 a playoff to determine the champion and have Bowls for those that are eligible. I tend to like the lower tier Bowls due to the interesting match-ups. There are a couple of good games we never would have seen (UNC vs Tennessee, UCF vs. Georgia, Northwestern vs Texas Tech, Kansas State vs Syracuse, Florida International vs Toledo, etc.) if it weren't for Bowl match-ups.
You know originally I could kinda agree with that. But I overbowled the past two years. Frankly the level of football played any time before Dec 30th is pretty bad from what I've seen. None of those bowls were very memorable to me. My rule of thumb now is to stop after the third or fourth pick of each conference tie in. Better chance of seeing non-mediocre games. Maybe more for the SEC or others dependent on the level of quality teams there.

Don't get me wrong, I think the bowl system is great to give a lot of teams some extra publicity and playing/practice time but often times you have plain boring teams at the lower end. (I'll still jump for joy if Virgina makes a candy bowl this year)
Old 2011-08-04, 16:41   Link #2787
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

*shrugs*Then just make it 7-5 or better to be eligible in power conferences, and 8-4 or 9-3 for those that aren't.
Old 2011-08-04, 16:48   Link #2788
solomon

Well even then it's not perfect.

Sometimes you'll have the SEC or Big 10 in the 90s where conferences are STACKED. Then you'll have super weak conferences like the big east last couple of years. Even if they go 9-3 who cares?

It's an individual judgement call.

(BTW sorry bout that Carolina fiasco)
Old 2011-08-04, 17:25   Link #2789
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Well, nothing is going to be perfect, obviously. There are 119 teams in Division I football [and that is expanding with UMass (MAC), Texas-San Antonio (WAC), and Texas State (WAC) entering next year]. That playoff bracket would have to be pretty damn large to be anymore "fair" than the BCS Bowls.

(Thanks, we'll get through it, most of the recruits have surprisingly vocally re-enforced their commitment to UNC. Hopefully, UNC isn't banned from the off-season for an extended amount of time.)
Old 2011-08-04, 17:51   Link #2790
solomon

(Yea especially because UNC can be a solid football job)
Old 2011-08-04, 18:08   Link #2791
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Well, like I said a couple of pages ago, UNC (so the Trustees say) takes the integrity of their programs very seriously, so I'm afraid that they may stick with Everett Withers (no disrespect to him) if he does even moderately well. UNC could be a perennial ACC championship contender if the Board had given a damn prior to 2006. Their is no reason that UNC can't be a football powerhouse and have to worry about violations, they just need to find the proper coach.

Some early options I heard are ones that are sketchy at best. Mike Leach and Rich Rodriguez both have too much baggage for UNC after this scandal and won't be smart hires. I wouldn't want Leach anyway, he treats his players like crap. Mike Petersen is one I do like, but he looks super-committed to Boise and UNC doesn't have the power in football to change his mind. Hell, Eric Mangini has been mentioned, but I don't trust NFL guys to stick around. Urban Meyer. . .lol. June Jones seems to like rebuilding projects, but he has never stuck around one program for long and the offense he runs would guarantee that it'll take awhile to get going due for the need for him to bring in players that'll need to fit his system (kinda like how Rich-Rod Spread Offense struggled with Lloyd Carr's more pro-style offensive players).

I guess UNC's best bet would be to hire a coordinator from a championship contender.
Old 2011-08-04, 18:27   Link #2792
solomon

Either that or your looking at a dude who did well at a brainy school like how we snagged Mike London from Richmond.

Best bet in that direction is one of the service school coaches, namely Ken N. from Annapolis (can't spell his last name) or the Air Force dude. Maybe Dave Clawson from Richmond (he's at Bowling Green now).

If the new AD isn't stupid and the administration isn't a total stick in the mud, UNC can be a fine project. Not FSU mind you but an Iowa/Mizzou level football program.

AND AM SICK AND TIRED OF STUPID ASS PEOPLE ALWAYS SUGGESTING MIKE LEACH, IF HE WAS SO GREAT SOMEONE WOULD HAVE PICKED HIM UP BY NOW.
Old 2011-08-04, 18:42   Link #2793
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

About AD, media speculation (so take it with a grain of salt) states that Mack Brown could be a candidate.

http://www.foxsportscarolinas.com/08...68&feedID=3737

He himself stated that he would love to be the AD for UNC when he retired from coaching, but one problem, I doubt that UNC could wait that long. Even after this season is too long. The exit he made the first time may still ruffle some feathers, but I think that would be much non-issue with current students and fans.

I respect Ken Niumatalolo for making Navy competitive, but I don't how receptive UNC would be to triple option football. Troy Calhoun could work, though.

Last edited by Dilla; 2011-08-04 at 18:56.
Old 2011-08-04, 22:35   Link #2794
Orga

I hate that the WVU/Marshall game is going to be played on a Sunday.
Orga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 07:27   Link #2795
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Steelers Pro Bowl linebacker LaMarr Woodley has agreed to a six-year, $61.5 million contract that is thought to be the second-highest deal in team history behind only Ben Roethlisberger's, a source familiar with the agreement told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Friday morning.

Woodley's deal will pay $18.1 million in the first year and $27 million over the first two, the source said.

Woodley, who has 39 career sacks in four seasons, had been designated with the franchise tag by the Steelers.

He was named to the Pro Bowl in 2009, when he had a career-high 13½ sacks with 62 tackles, 50 of them which were solo. He had 10 sacks with 50 tackles last season.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/68...al-source-says

Good job Woodley.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 12:25   Link #2796
Tetra Vaal
Banned

I hope Woodley severely under performs throughout the duration of that contract. :-)
Old 2011-08-05, 15:53   Link #2797
Samari
World's Greatest

Oakland Raiders sign Kevin Boss for replace Zach Miller, who I still can't believe they let walk.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2011-08-05, 16:22   Link #2798
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Oakland Raiders sign Kevin Boss for replace Zach Miller, who I still can't believe they let walk.
Seriously. What the hell were they thinking by allowing him to walk? The Raiders never cease to amaze me when it comes to boneheaded decisions.
Old 2011-08-07, 14:31   Link #2799
Prodigy
Heartless

Anyone else watch or hear about the Total QBR thing on ESPN?
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-07, 17:04   Link #2800
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy View Post
Anyone else watch or hear about the Total QBR thing on ESPN?
I think the current one is fine as it is. There are so many variables within football that it's impossible to gauge a certain player at every single position to come up with an accurate rating for how truly good they really are. The eyeball test still trumps anything you can come up with statistics. It's not like baseball where individual performance takes more of a front seat. ESPN is just wasting their time in my opinion.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。

Tags
american football, sports