AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Old 2011-08-22, 21:52   Link #881
Runty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman24 View Post
Spoiler for New Magari+Rene fanfic:

I took Runty's idea about Magari and Rene being inside an ancient Valkyrian tomb, temple or structure or whatever it was. But I made some pretty major tweaks.

Spoiler for new idea:
Nice twist on the story, Snowman. Me likey.

Hope to see more of it soon.
Runty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 14:53   Link #882
Beri270T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirena View Post
@Runty: True, I got ahead of myself on that one. Changing the line right now.

Once I actually get my hands on VC3 and actually get to know something about the story and Calamity Raven (planning to give the game a shot armed with a kanji dictionary), a fight like you suggested might be interesting to write. Though I still need to do a LOT more research on how battles work. Do you know some good sites for that?

@Beri270T3: First off, I have to admit that I don't really understand what you mean by simplifying the fighting of a Darcsen group. Perhaps you could reword it?

I'll be changing the firing+distance parts, now that you pointed it out I realized how silly it seems. Would you happen to know any reference for what actual orders generally sound like? I have zero military experience, so I'm trying to research but I'm not always sure where to look.

I'll also try developing the gunner as a character, like you pointed out it would only natural for them to interact quite a bit. Plus, I always liked the idea of expanding a bit more on relations on the antagonists' side, it's not something you see too much of.
Well what I had meant by simplication of the Darcsen group was directed at Runty although it wasn't apparent. It isn't necessary to go overboard and include VC3's Calamity Raven. Sometimes simpler may be better. Whoever fights back against the Revolutionary Army's assault could be and is more likely to be a civilian with a little .22 rimfire, shotgun or civilian rifle for hunting game the size of red deer or elk. Others like constables or former service members might have rifles not yet retired from service. That's assuming these relatively few offer resistance. So I hope I've cleared it up some Mirena.

Distance isn't so much of a problem. Engagements can be close and they can be far. I was mainly pointing out that Audrey has great responsibility rangng from that of an individual crew commander to that of the entire force. Perhaps greater than she had during the previous war.

As far as tank commanding goes I have little clue either. I have no combat or military experience either so it comes down to making something up and presenting it well. Two methods I can think of for direction are to use clockwise degrees in 30 degree increments or else the clock. 10 O'Clock should be about 300 degrees for example. Then your distance is most likely metric.

Commands are normally simple and straightforward I believe. Common terms used may be Armour-piercing (AP), High-Explosive (HE), cannister or case, smokescreen, Co-ax (co-axial) or machine gun. But that's getting into the nitty gritty. Terms such as 'Hull-down' and various others can be easily googled and tend to give you the gist of their meaning.

I'll also add that if you've ever worked with tracked machines they can be a real pain to clean and maintain (>.<) so I assume that tanks would be similar in that respect.
Beri270T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 19:38   Link #883
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Mind if I chime in on tanks? Beri covered a good portion of the bases, so I personally feel the need to point out that, with tanks, not every shot will do damage to a given vehicle, unlike how it's depicted in game.

Also, for reference, "Hull Down" is positioning the tank (for instance, on a hill) in a manner that places the tank in a position where enemy tanks will only see part of the turret and the gun, thus minimizing how much they can hit. Very, very useful against other tanks, bad against potential Artillery hits and (though we needn't worry about them in VC) airtrikes.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 08:52   Link #884
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Chiming in further, as a World of Tanks player, and someone who's been reading various things...

Given the current settings of VC, tanks are going to have 3 main ammo types: High Explsive (HE), which is a large shell filled with explosive; Armor Piercing (AP), and High Explosive Antitank (HEAT).

HE generally provides a big explosion, but does not have much penetrating power; AP is designed to penetrate tank armor but does not make much of a bang; HEAT combines both into a round that penetrates tank armor and explodes inside for maximum damage possible.

As has been said, hull down is a position where the tank's hull is positioned so that only the turret and gun are visible. Advantages are that less of the tank is exposed, but a lucky mortar hit will kill it.

As shown in-game, tanks are vulnerable to the side and particularly the rear - common WW2 doctrine was to circle the enemy and shoot him from behind (unless one was in a goddamned KV-2 with the derp gun or a Panzer IV or a Panther with the 88mm gun - both guns could oneshot enemy tanks from the front).

Lacking gyrostabilisation systems, which would only be perfected by the time of the Cold War in our world, tanks cannot fire on the move and expect to hit anything. Thus, tank combat consists of what is called "shoot and scoot": tank aquires target, driver hits the brakes, gunner aims and fires, tank moves again, from cover to cover.

Engagement sequence would be directed by the tank commander - assuming a 4-man crew (commander, driver, gunner, loader), an engagement would take place something like this:

Spoiler for Engagement sequence:

Video example:

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 19:27   Link #885
Runty

That's probably getting way too technical, at least for my standards. But to each his own.

BTW, Snowman, what're you up to now?
Old 2011-08-30, 20:32   Link #886
Snowman24

Nothing ATM, Truth be told, after finishing that 20,000+ word Magari fanfic, I feel nothings gonna compare to it now :P But when I do start writing again, perhaps I'll get back on the Franca+Nichol fanfic.
Snowman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-31, 00:20   Link #887
Runty

Quote:
Nothing ATM, Truth be told, after finishing that 20,000+ word Magari fanfic, I feel nothings gonna compare to it now :P But when I do start writing again, perhaps I'll get back on the Franca+Nichol fanfic.
What about that Coleen+Morris one? That'd be pretty cute stuff for a one-shot.
Old 2011-08-31, 01:25   Link #888
Snowman24

Perhaps, that Coleen one-hit seems that it would be quite short and sweet; just like Coleen :P haha! But honestly, it would be no where near as long as the Magari or any one-hit so far. And a nice break from all the serious stuff.

I also had an idea for a Chloe one-hit;
Spoiler for Chloe one-shot:
Old 2011-08-31, 10:12   Link #889
Runty

Quote:
Perhaps, that Coleen one-hit seems that it would be quite short and sweet; just like Coleen :P haha! But honestly, it would be no where near as long as the Magari or any one-hit so far. And a nice break from all the serious stuff.

I also had an idea for a Chloe one-hit;
Spoiler for Chloe one-shot:
I like it.
Old 2011-09-03, 02:57   Link #890
Snowman24

Ok, I need another party vote.

Which story should I do next? It's a toss up between the; Franca+Nichol story, the Coleen+Morris story and finally, the Noel+Susie fanfic?

I want to finish an old story, All sorts of ideas are floating in my head for each story. But I'm not sure which to start first. All I need is a little nudge in one direction so... WHICH story do you guys WANT to be shown next for my one-hit thread?

Here's all the ideas;

Noel+Susie
Spoiler for *click*:

Nichol+Franca
Spoiler for *Click*:

Coleen+Morris
Spoiler for *click*:

Last edited by Snowman24; 2011-09-03 at 03:17.
Old 2011-09-03, 11:13   Link #891
Runty

Quote:
Ok, I need another party vote.

Which story should I do next? It's a toss up between the; Franca+Nichol story, the Coleen+Morris story and finally, the Noel+Susie fanfic?

I want to finish an old story, All sorts of ideas are floating in my head for each story. But I'm not sure which to start first. All I need is a little nudge in one direction so... WHICH story do you guys WANT to be shown next for my one-hit thread?

Here's all the ideas;

Noel+Susie
Spoiler for *click*:

Nichol+Franca
Spoiler for *Click*:

Coleen+Morris
Spoiler for *click*:
I personally say the Coleen/Morris one. Definitely has the most fluff potential.
Old 2011-09-03, 22:58   Link #892
Snowman24

^Alright, I think a little fluff would be a good thing to have next for my thread. The Magari one was a tear jerker and emotional fanfic, time for a little fluff :P
Old 2011-09-04, 19:35   Link #893
Runty

I've had another idea for a oneshot that could also have some fluff to it, starring Melissa.

This would be shorter than your previous ones, Snowman, and wouldn't really have any action to it, but I'm sure it'd be cute nonetheless. Beware of late-game spoilers!

Spoiler for Melissa:

Something of that sort would be pretty fluffy, IMO.
Old 2011-09-04, 20:51   Link #894
Snowman24

^Haha, that sounds pretty funny and relatively easy to write compared to the magari fanfic. But it does have some fluff potential. And I think there's going to need to be alot of that to... 'soften' the blow of one of the fanfics I have in mind. I realized they all have happy endings... but what if one doesn't?

So maybe I'll do that one along with the Coleen one, both of these are pretty short stories. So maybe I'll do Fluff, Tear jerker, then fluff again :P
Old 2011-09-04, 21:17   Link #895
Runty

Quote:
^Haha, that sounds pretty funny and relatively easy to write compared to the magari fanfic. But it does have some fluff potential. And I think there's going to need to be alot of that to... 'soften' the blow of one of the fanfics I have in mind. I realized they all have happy endings... but what if one doesn't?

So maybe I'll do that one along with the Coleen one, both of these are pretty short stories. So maybe I'll do Fluff, Tear jerker, then fluff again :P
Sounds good. One that has an unhappy ending would really be healthy for the flow of things, and would remind us indeed that the cadets are in a war.

Spoiler for Unhappy ending:

Last edited by Runty; 2011-09-05 at 09:26.
Old 2011-09-06, 19:39   Link #896
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Dammit! I wanna write a VC crossover story or a Welkin/Selvaria one, but I've been too busy writing my own. Not to mention that I'm worried that I may not have time to write them after I graduate from university...

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-07, 03:32   Link #897
Snowman24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runty View Post
Sounds good. One that has an unhappy ending would really be healthy for the flow of things, and would remind us indeed that the cadets are in a war.

Spoiler for Unhappy ending:
^Perhaps... something tells me that you know exactly what's going to happen...
Old 2011-09-07, 18:19   Link #898
Runty

Quote:
^Perhaps... something tells me that you know exactly what's going to happen...
I have a hunch.

BTW, think we can get previews for the Coleen/Morris one?

Last edited by Runty; 2011-09-08 at 13:27.
Old 2011-09-08, 15:25   Link #899
Snowman24

Well I decided that I've already had, funny, serious, and all the other stuff for my thread. So I'll do the Chloe one first, before the Coleen+Morris one and the others I had in mind.

Chloe Blixen
Spoiler for Chloe fanfic preview #1:
Old 2011-09-08, 22:46   Link #900
Runty

Quote:
Well I decided that I've already had, funny, serious, and all the other stuff for my thread. So I'll do the Chloe one first, before the Coleen+Morris one and the others I had in mind.

Chloe Blixen
Spoiler for Chloe fanfic preview #1:
Spoiler for My thoughts:

Looking forward to more. Oh, and as for a title, how about "Portrait of Ruin"?

Tags
fanfiction