AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-15, 22:35   Link #381
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Isn't it time to update the All about Haruhi Suzumiya (涼宮ハルヒ)? How many people have asked about the "Second Season" already?
Old 2009-12-02, 09:25   Link #382
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
This isn't per say a request for a new thread, but since the official name of the new movie (translated by Kadokawa) is "The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya," as seen here, (linked for image) would it be possible to change the name of the movie threads so that people would know the correct title of the movie?
Old 2009-12-02, 15:06   Link #383
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
This isn't per say a request for a new thread, but since the official name of the new movie (translated by Kadokawa) is "The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya," as seen here, (linked for image) would it be possible to change the name of the movie threads so that people would know the correct title of the movie?
"Disappearance" is a stupid name, but not as stupid as "Vanishment", which Firefox doesn't even recognize as a real word. Frankly, I prefer "Evanescence", but... the English fandom has been using "Disappearance" for years.

Oh, and the "Vanishment" title has popped up from Kadokawa long before now, on official bookmarks... it's nothing new. I'll leave it to the mods to decide, though though.
Old 2009-12-03, 23:40   Link #384
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Why don't we just use The *Poof* of Haruhi Suzumiya? [/sarcasm]

The Evanescence of Haruhi Suzumiya... Definitely has a ring to it. We could just a well use "Disintegration" or "Eclipse" or "Exodus". But fans are already used to "Disappearance". Also, most people should be able to connect "Vanishment" to "Disappearance".

Such a pain to type "Disappearance.".

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
Old 2010-04-10, 19:17   Link #385
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Now that it was even subbed, shouldn't the movie thread be sticked and have a poll?
Old 2011-05-05, 16:24   Link #386
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Not right now, obviously, but I suggest we make a spoilerable thread for books 10 and 11 once they come out on the 25th. That way, those who have been/wish to be spoiled can have a place to discuss freely without ruining it for everyone else. General posts that better fit in the novel thread can go there, but would need to be spoilered if there is any 10/11 info in them.
Old 2011-05-05, 16:52   Link #387
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Not right now, obviously, but I suggest we make a spoilerable thread for books 10 and 11 once they come out on the 25th. That way, those who have been/wish to be spoiled can have a place to discuss freely without ruining it for everyone else. General posts that better fit in the novel thread can go there, but would need to be spoilered if there is any 10/11 info in them.
We do have a Spoilers and Speculation thread that I've used already for one instance that may have revealed something (test Kadokawa's site, but doubtful if it's a spoiler). It would be nice to have a reminder that spoilers should not go in the novel thread though.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2011-05-06, 02:11   Link #388
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Given the fact that the books are being released in English officially now, I don't see how quigon's request is entirely unreasonable. I can understand if some people who had read through the novels via fan translations up until this point may want to switch to the official versions exclusively without feeling the need to be cut off from discussions pertaining to stories they've already read. I mean, the entire reason we have the Spoilers and Speculation thread in the first place was due to people on both sides complaining about a similar scenario, and I'd think that it'd be a lot better to avoid a repeat of that.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2011-05-06, 15:00   Link #389
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

The main reason for the suggestion is to have a "Surprise only" thread, analogous to a "new episode" thread for an ongoing anime series. That way Surprise discussion and spoilers can be separated out from the novel thread.

It wouldn't hurt for them to be separated out from the standard spoiler thread, as well, since 1-9 are readily available for consumption by an English-speaking audience (legally or not), but there is no current plan for a definitive fanlation of Surprise. See, you have the volumes 5-9 material, that is spoilers for those only familiar with the anime and official translations, but is common knowledge among the community as a whole, and then you have "advanced spoilers" (for lack of a better term) regarding Surprise only, which some who are familiar with all the other spoilers may wish to avoid until they've read a full translation (legit or not) of volumes 10 and 11, and those people may still wish to enjoy the kind of discussion that goes on in the spoilers/spec thread.

In short, anyone who wishes to enjoy the current level of discussion but avoid any Surprise discussion (all of which will be spoilers, technically) will need only avoid one thread.
Old 2011-05-20, 01:55   Link #390
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

After some thought, I'm leaning towards a "Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya" thread. All I need is an adequate opening post (hint, hint).

EDIT: Thread created!

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-05-20 at 12:28.
Old 2011-09-12, 21:39   Link #391
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I would like to request a "SOS Brigade Favorite Character" poll. This would be similar to a standard "Favorite Character" poll, except the options to pick from would be narrowed down to the five main SOS Brigade members (and Honorary Member Tsuruya), and each participant in the poll could only vote for one of them.

I make this suggestion for a couple reasons:

1) This board has actually done two character polls before (the top six in votes last time where the five main SOS Brigade members and Tsuruya). But it's been a long time since we've last had a favorite character poll. Perhaps it would be interesting to see how fan perceptions of the main cast of this series has changed over time since the last poll. To put an intriguing added twist on it, and to differentiate this new poll from the last two, let's make this new poll for just the SOS Brigade members (including Tsuruya), and make it a case of one vote per voter.

2) Right now, the Haruhi anime is in a bit of a lull, with the movie slowly fading into the past, while we have yet to have much idea at all of when more Haruhi anime content might be coming our way. So, to reinvigorated this board a bit, and to reengage some of the old Haruhi fans that may have drifted away from this subforum (including myself, I admit), why not have a fresh new Favorite Character-style poll? And again, to make it a bit extra interesting, let's make it an one voter, one vote style poll, involving only the SOS Brigade members themselves.

What do my fellow Haruhi fans think? What do the moderators of this board think?
Old 2011-09-13, 01:39   Link #392
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Actually, I have also wanted to see a brand-new favorite character poll, and a SOS Brigade(and Tsuruya as a honorary member because of yet-to be animated material]) one vote poll is a pretty good idea. Although you may want to include the Computer Club President too since Haruhi made the Computer Research Society junior members after Day of the Sagittarius.

I am curious if the Disappearance movie has changed anyone's minds regarding their favorite character.

Last edited by AbZeroNow; 2011-09-13 at 01:58. Reason: just because
Old 2011-09-13, 10:07   Link #393
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I would like to request a "SOS Brigade Favorite Character" poll. This would be similar to a standard "Favorite Character" poll, except the options to pick from would be narrowed down to the five main SOS Brigade members (and Honorary Member Tsuruya), and each participant in the poll could only vote for one of them.

What do my fellow Haruhi fans think? What do the moderators of this board think?
I think that since the brigade members (Tsuruya included) already take the top six places on the most recent poll, we already know the results. Furthermore, Kyon and Yuki, the two people most likely to get the popularity boost of Disappearance, are already at spots two and three.

It could be interesting, but I think the results are going to stay pretty consistent.
Old 2011-09-13, 11:03   Link #394
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
I think that since the brigade members (Tsuruya included) already take the top six places on the most recent poll, we already know the results. Furthermore, Kyon and Yuki, the two people most likely to get the popularity boost of Disappearance, are already at spots two and three.

It could be interesting, but I think the results are going to stay pretty consistent.
Not necessarily; that was a multiple choice poll. I voted for all three of the top three, for instance. Another multiple choice poll would make little sense, but the suggestion of a single vote poll makes sense.
Old 2011-09-13, 14:59   Link #395
Grahf616
High Saint of Asakuraism
*Author

Actually, if anything shouldn't there be an extended poll as well? Since from novel nine onwards we also have Tachibana Kyouko, Suou Kuyou, Fujiwara, Sasaki, and Watahashi Yasumi.

I'm not saying that a poll shouldn't be run for just the core SOS Brigade members, but now there's more choice than ever before.
Old 2011-09-13, 15:52   Link #396
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahf616 View Post
Actually, if anything shouldn't there be an extended poll as well? Since from novel nine onwards we also have Tachibana Kyouko, Suou Kuyou, Fujiwara, Sasaki, and Watahashi Yasumi.

I'm not saying that a poll shouldn't be run for just the core SOS Brigade members, but now there's more choice than ever before.
Because I CLEARLY represent the average Haruhi fan (clearly), I think it's safe to say that a lot of people who would be participating in the poll don't really know anything about those characters. The problem then is that not only would the new characters not get some (possibly well-deserved) votes, but what votes they would get would preclude votes for some of the more recognized characters.

In the interest of fairness, sure, go ahead and include them. However, I don't think it's the best time for that right now.
Old 2011-09-13, 16:04   Link #397
Triple_R
*Author

Hhmmmm... maybe I should have done this up front, but I wanted to get people's opinions on the merits of the limited poll idea itself, separate from the background discussion that lead into that idea.

But to fully understand why I'm suggesting a limit of these six characters (the main five and Tsuruya), and one vote only, please see this thread.

This anime is one of five that I saw real potential for interesting favorite character polls if it was kept down to one vote per voter.

Another one is K-On!, which is getting this treatment as we speak.
Old 2011-09-13, 17:21   Link #398
Grahf616
High Saint of Asakuraism
*Author

Oh, I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a one vote poll for the core six. Just that there should - at least eventually - be another poll that also encompasses the newer characters.

Now, admittedly it would probably be at least another season before we even catch a glimpse of the new characters, so the concern becomes just how long it would be before a poll that gives everyone a fair chance could be run.

As for the core six though, I would assume that even for someone who only watched the first season, they've got enough information to make a call on which one they like best (although again, Tsuruya shows up a little more in novel seven than anywhere else).
Old 2011-09-13, 22:58   Link #399
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Oh, I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a one vote poll for the core six. Just that there should - at least eventually - be another poll that also encompasses the newer characters.

Now, admittedly it would probably be at least another season before we even catch a glimpse of the new characters, so the concern becomes just how long it would be before a poll that gives everyone a fair chance could be run.

As for the core six though, I would assume that even for someone who only watched the first season, they've got enough information to make a call on which one they like best (although again, Tsuruya shows up a little more in novel seven than anywhere else).
I'd say we should wait until the seventh novel has been officially translated or if we get a new season, then Fujiwara and Kyouko Tachibana should be added. I forget if Sonou Mori is already on the favorite character poll, but she ought to be added to that too. So we probably would want to wait another six to nine months before adding a new multiple vote poll. But again, I think a single-vote SOS Brigade poll is a great idea.
Old 2011-09-13, 23:21   Link #400
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:

Agreed. Good points.

AbZeroNow - Glad you like the idea! The K-On! version of this seems to be going well so far, so hopefully we'll get a SOS Brigade poll soon.