AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-06, 21:07   Link #621
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Haven't played the game, but know about it from a friend. Igor was creepy. Narukami's persona looks pretty bad-ass. Hanamura is pretty funny. Satonaka is my favorite so far. Nanako was so cute, especially when she was singing that song. I couldn't help but laugh when they showed the dead body spiked on an antenna. The bear was funny and cute.
Old 2011-10-06, 21:24   Link #622
rpgman1

Pretty fast-paced compared to the game. My brother couldn't understand what was going on since he never played P4. At least it seems pretty faithful to the game, but unless you played the game people think it is another generic anime with action and comedy.
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 21:33   Link #623
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

As a game player, there's just one thing I don't like about the anime: Narukami's depictions. I dunno, but I've always pictured him as a badass delinquent or something like that, going by part of his looks, the artwork of his persona Izanagi, and the choices you're given in the game is either the loser way or the badass way. Compare this with P3 MC, in which you get the idea that he's the quiet emo guy, but for some reason Narukami is more acting like I expect P3 MC to act lol.

For example, man, it felt REALLY wrong not to have Narukami tell off the teacher. One of the few little details that made me think P4 MC is a no-nonsense character, since P3 MC didn't even have anything remotely as close as badass as that for his entire game, while P4 MC had TONS of choices like those.

But yeah, just minor gripes, since supposedly MC is a blank slate. That said, I actually can watch this despite knowing what's going to happen, mainly because it's with Japanese dubs and it's different from the English ones. I still say English is a notch better, as English Igor is WAY creepier than this one.

And to those who played the game...

Spoiler:

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 21:54   Link #624
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciel View Post
Lastly, Yui Horie as Chie = so much win. Never really liked her with the english VA in the game but this one episode has changed my mind .
I know, right?
The japanese voice acting is incomparably better, IMO. It's just that most people played the NA dub and are comfortable hearing those voices.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 21:59   Link #625
Byakou

I've never played the games so I hope they properly explain what's going on lol
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 22:10   Link #626
Kakkou
Tch.

The pacing was indeed a little fast and some scenes felt oddly executed to me, but it was a good start. The art style looked great most of the time but the gradient shading doesn't look very nice once they hit the distance shots. There were many things about it that screamed that it was a game adaptation yet it felt accessible to a non-gamers like me. I didn't really like how the main character was such a blank canvas but if the status eyecatch and his little smirk at the end are anything to go by this probably won't be a problem anymore after this.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 22:16   Link #627
kramerica

They show his stats at commercial break. I'm guessing at the end he'll max his stats and be a true player This may be an instance where it's following the game a little too much. I wasn't expect day transitions to be exactly like the game, as well as so much music from the game either.

I'm digging it so far. The japanese voices are on equal footing with the english voices to me, so they work well enough.

Nanael is not amused.
kramerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 22:39   Link #628
maplehurry

Can we get a subforum for this ?
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 22:48   Link #629
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Spoiler:
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 22:52   Link #630
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

its not all about the pace of the anime i dont think at that point in the game you know too much either, maybe a little more info on characters but nothing more plotwise, on othrt topic i liked how they are doing the day trancission, thats something other shows should do to not screwing us with chronology.
Old 2011-10-06, 22:57   Link #631
Lacrimosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
6) That said, whatever extra voiced the girl on TV getting interviewed...LoL. I don't think even inhaling helium can make you sound like that.
Her voice was edited so she wouldn't be recognized, which is why they also didn't show her face. d:

First ep was fast like others have said but I am full of glee after watching it. xD
Lacrimosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 23:23   Link #632
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Great music, but the episode was always moving a bit too fast to me.

They're talking in class!
Dead person!
They meet people!
Someone falls into a bunch of crap
Sucked into TV!
MWAHAHAGHA I Have powers!

Not bad, but it doesn't really let me have any time to breathe; and there's no buildup, so gags that would have been funny don't have time for me to even react, causing an overall reaction of "wut" Why do so many anime this season seem to go on fast forward

6/10 for first episode. Kinda shaky, but interesting enough to keep going.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 23:23   Link #633
justsomeguy

Whew! The first episode was incredibly fast-paced, crushing the first 2 hours of an introduction into 20 minutes. I don't remember such an epic hack job in adaptations before. While it was necessary in order to actually get anywhere, condensing it like that sacrifices several things. On the other hand, since this is just the first episode, it's possible that the writers are gonna cram those into the next one.

No actual spoilers, but just a vague list of stuff that was cut (which might appear in the next episode):
Spoiler:

Other than that, so far so good, other than Yuu being a bit too timid, a somewhat ineffective use of music, and the fast pace.

This is one of those shows that would have really benefited from a 40-minute first episode, with the first half covering up to the body on the antenna and the second half going to where we are now. The introduction is supposed to set up Inaba as a nice, peaceful, and boring town, with the mysterious death being the first excitement ever. The fast pace of this episode pretty much loses out on that shock.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC

Last edited by justsomeguy; 2011-10-06 at 23:34.
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 23:45   Link #634
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Will be nice if they can slow themselves down moving forward. Can get wanting to end with the fight, but otherwise need to give people time to breathe. Almost wish they also did one of those 40 minute first episodes so things could be spread out easier.

Still I think it was a good start. Plenty of nostalgia with the game opening song at the start, the calendar to show the passing days, and the familiar music. The voices were overall pretty good too.

Got right into things that's for sure. Just something funny like the group just falling into the TV. Good tip as well for Yosuke to remember to go to the washroom before going on a trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
I know, right?
The japanese voice acting is incomparably better, IMO. It's just that most people played the NA dub and are comfortable hearing those voices.
I think that's an exaggeration. Incomparably better is going way too far. Plus trying to negate an alternative view by saying it's just because they are comfortable with the dub. The dub for the game was solid on its own merits. Think Yosuke was pretty much equal, Chie better with the Japanese voice, and Kuma worse with it. Overall pretty equal with the specific voices being more of a personal taste thing than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Whew! The first episode was incredibly fast-paced, crushing the first 2 hours of an introduction into 20 minutes. I don't remember such an epic hack job in adaptations before. While it was necessary in order to actually get anywhere, condensing it like that sacrifices several things. On the other hand, since this is just the first episode, it's possible that the writers are gonna cram those into the next one.

No actual spoilers, but just a vague list of stuff that was cut (which might appear in the next episode):
Spoiler:

Other than that, so far so good, other than Yuu being a bit too timid and a somewhat ineffective use of music.

This is one of those shows that would have really benefited from a 40-minute first episode, with the first half covering up to the body on the antenna and the second half going to where we are now.
I thought it was fine. They definitely pushed the pace, but suppose that was so they could end the episode with that first fight. Some stuff was certainly cut, but nothing big. Any of those things can be added later without being an issue.

I liked the leads personality so far. A few different ways they could have gone at him and think this way is alright.
Old 2011-10-06, 23:57   Link #635
justsomeguy

One event that can't be restored would be Yuu, Chie, and Yukiko happening upon the police at the crime scene while they walked home. It's possible to shift that event for greater impact though.

@mods: I don't think that's spoilers since the event was skipped, but feel free to delete if necessary.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 23:59   Link #636
Laith
Even if it just for a bit
*Author

This episode sucked for the lack of critical hit to the nads :crossesarms:

Talking seriously, it did somethings right, like the Rise commercial changed to a poster. It was pretty fast but then again it takes, like, 3 hours to get to that point in the game so I give it a pass.
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 00:05   Link #637
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
By the way, just crossed my mind... according to the first episode, the only thing that those evil shadows wanted to do was lick Horie Yui, sorry Chie, and that retarded gay, sorry shy and inexperienced protagonist slaughtered the cute, sorry poor things to show off by boosting his stats for the next commercial break
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 00:20   Link #638
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
^
^yep, TOTALLY disappointed in the lack of ballkicking =0<. The animation also seemed to be lacking fluidity and animated simplistically throughout the episode, until the action part.

I like the fact that they kept Narugami's dialogue to a minimum, only speaking when it's necessary, as a Persona protagonist should. I dunno if that'll hold though.

Like others have said, the episode was quite fast; though not fast enough to not know what is going on. I mean, I would have liked to see what Chie and Yukiko would talk about with Narugami. They supposedly went home together, but they didn't show that at all! I mean, I've played the game, but it still would have been a nice detail to add in.

Ah, and I'm all for A Narugami/Chie ship right now =03. Sure that might change, but she was awesome! She would make a great gf for him .
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 00:27   Link #639
HandofFate

Pretty fast paced episode. Them rushing the first Persona summon makes sense for a TV perspective. Got to make the first episode exciting after all.

The animation is very colorful and the animation lines are very clean-looking. To me, it makes all the budget cuts stand out a lot more. Like how often when someone is talking, they cut to the back of their head, so they don't have to animate their mouths.

I mean its expected, anime is like the master of cheap animation using as few frames as possible.

I laughed at the end, when the protagonist starts unbuttoning his shirt as his Persona is standing around.

only complaint is the protagonist talks.
Old 2011-10-07, 01:39   Link #640
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

What other people said.. too rushed. It's like they're simply acting out all of the game's cutscenes.

A flop.

What a shame.

I'll give it one more episode.
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy