Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-11-01, 14:00   Link #741
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Ryu View Post
This is where the differences lie though. While you say this show would be lacking, the other side is saying the show would be GAINING from her absence. For the most part, this show is unique in its presentation, so its NOT following the same structures of the usual Harem ecchi show we normally get. If anything, it can be argued that EVERYTHING Ume brings to the table is the same old tired cliche junk people get sick of.
Well, every show is unique from a fan perspective through. In my case i found the setting pretty cliche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Ryu View Post
Another argument that could be made is that Ume really doesn't have any purpose to the show's plot, and that's actually true. Its even proven by the fact that each episode so far, she's had only about 3-4 mins screen-time tops. So to say this show with no Ume would have crumbled could be an overstatement.
It's 3-4 minutes of fan services. And having no purpose with the show's plot will have the advantage of being able to still attract audiences even when the plot gone sour. It all goes back to fan-services
Quote:
As far as the moral stuff, its already been stated that the over-the-top Bento wars being "serious business" is something that is an established culture in this show's universe, so calling it wrong might be a bit too much. But then this comes back to the point of our main character Satou.

It doesn't matter what the other characters do, its all how HE interacts with it, he IS our main character after all. So when we see OUR main character who we are suppose to relate to having horribly negative experiences with this person, of course she's gonna get singled out.

Personally though, she wouldn't have to disappear to make the show better, her getting her just desserts would be enough for me. Satou or even the Ice Queen putting a lump on her head would be the perfect "it happened" moment for this series....and definitely provide some LULZ for a number of folks waiting for it.
I don't understand it. You found over-the-top brawl acceptable as part of the show culture, while girls kicking guys for the comedy not? I means the background characters in there found fighting over half-price Ben-to honorable, but they also found the "bully" of Ume over to be bliss. And i also don't think that i have to stand in the "main character" shoes to watch this shows or make judgement on right or wrong here. IF you think everyone definitely have to relate to the show through Satou, then there, we knows the fundamental difference in our opinions

Is there a double standard here for judgement? Ayame in this episode basically sexual harassed Oshiroi as much as Ume did but no one fined her a complaint. Then if it's unacceptable for Satou to be kicked once in a while by Ume for associating with Oshiroi. Then why it's acceptable for him to kick some other girls (or guys) so he can get some Bento? No rule said you have to fight, and some might avoid the brawl and sneak in for one (e.g. Oshiroi, the huntdogs), so him fighting everyone in sight was part of his own (selfish) decision. Furthermore even Sen threw his clothes out of the window just because he didn't pay attention to what she said, or force him to sign the club application. But no one think she should be beat up once in a while for her action, isn't it?

I still think it's a biasedly hatred toward Ume (and favor toward Satou) in this case. If it's simply because she didn't act on provokes (as some of you may mention) then why do i find it's more acceptable for girls-hit-guys here than in Baka Tesuto? At least Ume did send a message clear in this case, while the two girls there just make up random causes to hide their jealousy

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2011-11-01 at 14:15.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 14:35   Link #742
bigdeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
In tiny cases, sure.. what ever.. it does altho get annoying to hear that.
Heresy! There can never be too much Yuri.
bigdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 14:48   Link #743
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I don't understand it. You found over-the-top brawl acceptable as part of the show culture, while girls kicking guys for the comedy not?
Wrong.
Isn't just "girls kicking guys" but a "sole girl kicking a guy for no reason". Others characters have a reason, like the unnamed brunnette girl who beats guys and geats beaten as well. The whole thing isn't about Satou, it could be another character, but this time Ume just doesn't beats him once in a while but everytime she is passing by around him. You say in BakaTest girls hides their jealousy, yes, there is a reason on them a least to justificate themselves even if its cheap, on on the other hand, Ume has no justification, isn't like Satou is clinging into Oshiroi to mess with her but Oshiroi seeking for him because she finds on him the inspiration needed to write her light novels something Ume doesn't seems to care.

Back to the series tittle, I just found this:

Quote:
The title is a pun for obentou and Ben-Hur.
Didn't know that, so the author is a Sega freak and Ben-hur fan as well?
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 15:21   Link #744
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Quote:
It's 3-4 minutes of fan services. And having no purpose with the show's plot will have the advantage of being able to still attract audiences even when the plot gone sour. It all goes back to fan-services
That doesn't change the fact that she's not needed. And only this episode has provided some fanservice, and even then, who was the girl that was the center of it? Ayame, not Ume. Ayame has arrived, she is our fanservice girl, and she proved even without that bath scene that she will being doing things for the rest of the series that will please our fanservice lovers. Hell, even during the bath scene, you don't see anyone saying "Damn Ume was hot", they pretty much loved it because AYAME was hot and being violated. That easily proves that once again, we can get this fanservice without Ume.

Quote:
I don't understand it. You found over-the-top brawl acceptable as part of the show culture, while girls kicking guys for the comedy not? I means the background characters in there found fighting over half-price Ben-to honorable, but they also found the "bully" of Ume over to be bliss. And i also don't think that i have to stand in the "main character" shoes to watch this shows or make judgement on right or wrong here. IF you think everyone definitely have to relate to the show through Satou, then there, we knows the fundamental difference in our opinions
Well there it is like you said, but see here's the thing, more people DO put people in their own shoes, so YOU are the exception, not I. And like Wilfriback said, its all with purpose that is the plot of the show. Have you even noticed that AFTER they fight, they all respect each other and can have civil conversations? Brown haired girl whoops ass, but after the brawls over, she's telling them have a good night and see them tomorrow. She even gave advice to Satou.

You might want to ignore it, but Ume is not like that. She's a bitch. About 70% of the people in this thread so far thinks she's a bitch. And people do not like bitches. There is a trope called "Dude, not Funny", and for many that's exactly the case here. There is no reason to laugh, she is hitting someone who wants to be civil to her, who wants to respect her as class president, who doesn't want conflict. That's just not funny to me, or majority of the people here. Kyero Fox is absolutely right, if she was just kidnapping the friend girl, or even calling Satou perverted names, she would be a lot more tolerable. But the issue is that she is crossing the line, that's all there is too it.

Quote:
Is there a double standard here for judgement? Ayame in this episode basically sexual harassed Oshiroi as much as Ume did but no one fined her a complaint.
It all comes with the personality though, Ayame clearly is the tease, and this is how tease characters act. They flirt, and get touchy. But there was no serious harm in for Oshiroi. Ume on the other hand DOES bring harm, and negativity. Ayame plays with Oshiroi just to tease her, she's not trying to seriously rape the girl. Ume IS trying to rape the girl....HUGE difference.

Quote:
I still think it's a biasedly hatred toward Ume (and favor toward Satou) in this case. If it's simply because she didn't act on provokes (as some of you may mention) then why do i find it's more acceptable for girls-hit-guys here than in Baka Tesuto? At least Ume did send a message clear in this case, while the two girls there just make up random causes to hide their jealousy
This is what I don't understand. You're basically saying that the girl can hit the guy, but he can't do it back, and you're calling US bias. The reason its not acceptable here is because like it was said, she has NO excuse what so ever. Even with these bad Tsunderes, like Wilfriback said, even if their reason is pathetically cheap, they DO have one. This girl has no reason, and her purpose is incredibly cold. Her friend is attracted to this boy, and she's completely insecure about it. Her friend finds inspiration in this boy, and she could completely give a sh%t. This boy tries to be as friendly as possible to her, and she slaps, berates, and strips in school. Ayame takes off Oshiroi's bra, and instead of handling Ayame like Satou, she STILL abuses Satou (for no reason), then rapes and molests Ayame. She is clearly making a negative buzz for a reason.

Last edited by Tenchi Ryu; 2011-11-01 at 15:32.
Tenchi Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 15:23   Link #745
bigdeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Wrong.
Isn't just "girls kicking guys" but a "sole girl kicking a guy for no reason". Others characters have a reason, like the unnamed brunnette girl who beats guys and geats beaten as well. The whole thing isn't about Satou, it could be another character, but this time Ume just doesn't beats him once in a while but everytime she is passing by around him. You say in BakaTest girls hides their jealousy, yes, there is a reason on them a least to justificate themselves even if its cheap, on on the other hand, Ume has no justification, isn't like Satou is clinging into Oshiroi to mess with her but Oshiroi seeking for him because she finds on him the inspiration needed to write her light novels something Ume doesn't seems to care.

Back to the series tittle, I just found this:

Didn't know that, so the author is a Sega freak and Ben-hur fan as well?
Being a man hatting Lesbian is not enough of a reason? lol

You do realise real people pick on others for no reason at all, besides enjoying tormenting others. She is just a hater, get over it.
bigdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 15:34   Link #746
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeath View Post
Being a man hatting Lesbian is not enough of a reason? lol

You do realise real people pick on others for no reason at all, besides enjoying tormenting others. She is just a hater, get over it.
She doesn't do this to NO one else except him, so its not even as if she's a Man hater, just a Satou hater.

But I agree...she's just a Hater....a horrible one at that....
Old 2011-11-01, 15:37   Link #747
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

And the thing is, Ume's violence against Satou isn't even really "comedy" as much as other anime make it out to be since, as said several times, other anime at least give a "good reason" for it, whether it's physical like walking in on the girl naked, saying something lewd in front of them, accidental compromising positions, etc, or mental like them actually liking the person, but not being able to easily show it (tsundere) or they have some sort of familial or personal reason that makes them act out and that person is some sort of catalyst in some way like looking like a person that is causing/has caused them trouble, being related to the person, or something.

So far, Ume doesn't even have any of those anime justifications for going after Satou. Even other similar characters usually only physically attack the main character if they end up in one of the above scenarios that make it look indecent or something. Otherwise, it's usually restricted primarily to words, dirty looks and getting in-between them somehow (like staring into eachother's eyes in some affectionate way and such), but they don't go out of their way to beat up/humiliate/etc the main character on a daily basis. If anything, those characters tend to end up supporting the relationship in the end because it makes the person they're interested in happy, despite it making themself hurt inside by giving them up.

I really do not see Ume doing such a thing with Satou and Oshiroi.

Hell, I don't even see any real "love" from Ume towards Oshiroi more so than uncontrollable lesbian lust. I mean, look at how quick she was to kidnap Ayame when Oshiroi was RIGHT THERE and then try to molest/rape Ayame in the tub.

As I said before, all Ume has made herself look like to the people who are hating her (not that I "hate" her, just think she needs an attitude adjustment) is a mean-spirited bully or even a psychologically unstable, possessive abuser. If Satou and Oshiroi ended up getting closer somehow (as in truly romantically), her actions would most likely get worse and worse towards Satou until they end up together and then she completely snaps.

...and I was one of those thinking both were hot in the tub, btw.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 15:54   Link #748
Dahak86
Classics never age

Since I have no interest in the whole pro-Ume vs con-Ume debate (much less have intention to waste my time and energy on it)...

Spoiler for here's something better:
Old 2011-11-01, 16:08   Link #749
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
Since I have no interest in the whole pro-Ume vs con-Ume debate (much less have intention to waste my time and energy on it)...

Spoiler for here's something better:
You get a High Five.....at least we all agree she's f$%king delicious.
Old 2011-11-01, 17:11   Link #750
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I find it hilarious that Ume, a "useless character" according to some, is BY FAR the one character that sparks the most discussion (some of it surprisingly interesting, although I think you guys are taking her and this show way too seriously. Chill. It's a comedy, for Christ's sake).
Old 2011-11-01, 17:30   Link #751
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I find it hilarious that Ume, a "useless character" according to some, is BY FAR the one character that sparks the most discussion (some of it surprisingly interesting, although I think you guys are taking her and this show way too seriously. Chill. It's a comedy, for Christ's sake).
No, it's damn serious! We're talking about the life-and-death situations faced by our brave half-priced bento fighters as they train to overcome the various obstacles in their way! THIS IS BEN-TO!

Okay, to be serious..... I'll just say let's wait to see if we get a closer look at Ume before bringing out the hate rants. I mean really, why is it that people judge by the very limited showing of a character? I find that to be hasty and uncivilized.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 17:34   Link #752
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Okay, to be serious..... I'll just say let's wait to see if we get a closer look at Ume before bringing out the hate rants. I mean really, why is it that people judge by the very limited showing of a character? I find that to be hasty and uncivilized.
Do you find hasty and uncivilized the way Ume hit Satou each episode ?
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 17:36   Link #753
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
Do you find hasty and uncivilized the way Ume hit Satou each episode ?
That's the hidden joke in my post
Old 2011-11-01, 17:54   Link #754
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
That's the hidden joke in my post
Ah sorry then
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 18:03   Link #755
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Because talking at length about what is good makes you a fanboy, while talking at length about what's bad makes you a critic

But basically Conflict generates more posts, that's why we have War Economy It's not about a clash of ideas, it's about generating more posts.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 18:26   Link #756
KROMEangel
Baby Got Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Because talking at length about what is good makes you a fanboy, while talking at length about what's bad makes you a critic

But basically Conflict generates more posts, that's why we have War Economy It's not about a clash of ideas, it's about generating more posts.
There's criticism, and then there's talking in circles for over ten pages. Now it's just trying to find points in between lines that are in between lines. How dull.

Anyway, Muscle Cop episode next I presume?
KROMEangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 19:12   Link #757
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post

And you know some people hidden purposes .
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 19:14   Link #758
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
And you know some people hidden purposes .
*Stands behind Wilfriback as she swings a butterfly knife around her fingers while hugging Ume and Ayame to her*

What did you say?
Old 2011-11-01, 19:34   Link #759
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
I still think it's a biased hatred towards Ume (and favor toward Satou) in this case. If it's simply because she didn't act on provokes (as some of you may mention) then why do i find it's more acceptable for girls-hit-guys here than in Baka Tesuto? At least Ume did send a message clear in this case, while the two girls there just make up random causes to hide their jealousy
I fully agree with that. Some people here really have double standards, disliking Ume but then finding it perfectly acceptable if the MC beats up girls just to fill his stomach with tasty bentou, or other stuff like that
Old 2011-11-01, 19:44   Link #760
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
I fully agree with that. Some people here really have double standards, disliking Ume but then finding it perfectly acceptable if the MC beats up girls just to fill his stomach with tasty bentou, or other stuff like that
No that proves YOUR double standards.

Its a Martial Arts competion, and the prize is food. They have RULES. Saying that you shouldn't hit the girl makes it like you're saying she's weak, and doesn't deserve to fight for what she believes in. And Brown haired girl usually does a damn good job anyway.

Sounds as if you have a problem with girls in martial arts competitions because they're girls....and thats a Double Standard.

If you can throw a punch, be prepared to take one, gender does not matter.

Ume on the other hand is hitting someone who's NOT consenting to the punches. Just because someone accepts being punched in a ring doesn't mean they want to be punched outside the ring....its a BIG difference that some of you seem to not be grasping.

Tags
action, comedy, harem, light novel, shounen