AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-11-19, 23:12   Link #7121
chickenchaser

So for clarification, when the "File Download" windows says, "Do you want to save or run this file"? I click save. Then I install the patch when it prompts me to the put the installer location?
chickenchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 23:14   Link #7122
Madman6510
Child of Man

Yes. Save both files, and put them in the same folder. Run the file you downloaded from Witch-Hunt (the smaller one). It will find the other file that has the actual game files, extract it, and patch it automatically.
Madman6510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 23:23   Link #7123
chickenchaser

Put them in the same folder? Would'nt that overwrite something? I saved both files now.
Old 2011-11-19, 23:25   Link #7124
Madman6510
Child of Man

No, since the files are named differently. Just put both the patch and the game in the same folder, and run the patch. It should do everything automatically and install like any other program.
Old 2011-11-19, 23:35   Link #7125
chickenchaser

I'm finally getting it now. However I get an installation aborted message. Here are all the files it shows in the window:

Create uninstaller
Extract ons.cfg
Extract default.ttf
Extract GPL.txt
Extract nscript.dat
Extract Readme Chiru V4.html
Extract SDL.dll
Extract Umineko no Naku Koro ni EP8.exe
Extract arc.nsa
Extract downloaded archive
File extraction failed
Installation failed

?
Old 2011-11-20, 01:59   Link #7126
chickenchaser

I can now play the game in English.
Thanks for the help...and patience!
Old 2011-11-20, 02:21   Link #7127

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeruranawa View Post
Even when I try to install the patch, 7zip spits out that message. I'm using the downloaded version. Should I uninstall 7zip?
I don't think uninstalling 7zip will help, as our installer uses the exe's internal self-extracting code to unpack umineko8.exe.

Can you summarize the steps you take when you're trying to install the game? Your description of the problem is not very clear.
Message is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 03:26   Link #7128
Drifloon

About the episode 5 thng...

Spoiler for Ep 5:
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 07:29   Link #7129
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Hmmm… it seems that a number of people are having issues installing the patch. Perhaps the website could make the process a bit clearer?

I know WH have tried to make it easy and simple, but I suppose it might be confusing to some people.
Old 2011-11-20, 07:57   Link #7130

I see no real need to give additional information, beyond what's stated in the installer and on the website. It's really as simple as a-b-c: Download the Japanese version of the game. Download the patch installer. Run the patch installer and follow the instructions.

Though I suppose it's understandable if someone automatically runs the exe from Hobibox after downloading, so we could add a note that this isn't necessary.
Old 2011-11-20, 10:24   Link #7131
kaeruranawa

Ah, okay, it works! Thank you!
kaeruranawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 16:59   Link #7132
chickenchaser

I have a hunch that most people who have no experience in downloading visual novels will in fact, as Message pointed out, run the exe. instead of saving it.
Old 2011-11-20, 18:24   Link #7133
legomaple

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenchaser View Post
I have a hunch that most people who have no experience in downloading visual novels will in fact, as Message pointed out, run the exe. instead of saving it.
>had no experience with VNs before umineko
>downloaded it and installed it without any problem.
legomaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-21, 03:54   Link #7134

(I don't have the sourcecode at hand right now, but if I recall correctly the patch installer also accepts installation into the UMINEKO8_DL\Umineko8 directory. So technically it shouldn't be a problem even if they run the exe. They just need to point the patch installer at the extracted folder, in that case.)
Old 2011-11-21, 15:41   Link #7135
Madman6510
Child of Man

It says it can patch a previously installed version, but the problem is that IIRC the 7zip extractor doesn't use Unicode, so it would mangle some of the filenames when extracting the game files unless the system locale was set to Japanese. Mine is, but most people's probably aren't.

I know the installed version of 7zip does this, so I would assume the standalone version would as well. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 2011-11-22, 03:48   Link #7136

Actually we asked hobibox to use 7zip for the redistributable, specifically because it DOES extract using unicode. Even if the filenames aren't rendered properly in non-Japanese Windows, they are extracted successfully and the Japanese game works fine.

(Although to be honest I can't recall whether we tested this with FAT32.)
Old 2011-11-22, 21:47   Link #7137
Silverkun

It's just a minor issue, but I thought I might report this.

Spoiler for EP5:
Silverkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 23:22   Link #7138
Kylon99

By the way, regarding translations. I know Witch-Hunt is busy with EP8 and probably not interested in considering even more work... but...

What about the 我らの告白 (Our Confessions) booklet?

I and maybe a few others in the merchandise thread will probably be getting a hold of this booklet. I thought I might give a hand at summarizing it instead of full on translation. However, does Witch-Hunt intend to translate this? I suppose I could help, but my main question would be about how and where this translation would even be released, considering it's a bonus item for Umineko Hane.

Could we tack it onto the end of Umineko Hane, assuming someone's going to translate that? Would Ryukishi like that?

Anyone have any ideas?
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 23:25   Link #7139
Oblivion

To add on to what Kylon said, I'm also wondering if Tsubasa is going to be finished? There are a number of stories that still aren't translated yet such as the Siesta and Cornelia story.
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 20:09   Link #7140
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverkun View Post
It's just a minor issue, but I thought I might report this.

Spoiler for EP5:
There's a similar problem when you try to look at the stakes in their maid clothes (EP7 tips).
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation