AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-12-02, 04:56   Link #1
EroKing

WD Replacement policy?

So I have this 1TB WD My Book Essential external HDD and the power supply died a couple of days ago (checked with a friend's power supply, HDD is working fine).
I sent an email to WD support asking for a replacement since it still has another year of warranty and the reply was...

"Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is xxxxx.

This is to inform you that the we do not have an option to replace the adapter as the accessories are not covered under warranty.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
xxxxx
Western Digital Service and Support"

How can they say that when their site clearly states...
>If your WD product is in warranty, please Contact Us to obtain the replacement accessory @ http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1318

=_=
Old 2011-12-02, 05:48   Link #2
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Respond to their e-mail with a link to that page, making sure you've included all the information requested on that page in your email. If they still don't play ball, then you get to play e-mail roulette: e-mail the request to their support e-mail again and hope you get someone competent that responds. If (after a few attempts) that doesn't get you anywhere then try to find out the e-mail details of someone in their corporate structure (i.e. a high-ranking manager) and forward your entire saga to them with a well-written overview. They (or their secretaries) are much less likely to push you around.

Alternately if you have a social media account (Twitter/Facebook) you could see if Western Digital has a twitter account/Facebook page and post your story there.
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 09:30   Link #3
KhaL

Bear in mind. They may see a power supply as perishable goods, like rechargeable batteries and such. ergo they would not be covered under the warranty. worth looking at the smallprint to double check.
KhaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-05, 23:29   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaL View Post
Bear in mind. They may see a power supply as perishable goods, like rechargeable batteries and such. ergo they would not be covered under the warranty. worth looking at the smallprint to double check.
They may also consider everything that came in the pack to be one unit. I had a WD MyBook something-or-other that started having issues that, in hindsight, probably related to power. At the time, I figured it was the drive itself. If I remember right, I'm fairly certain that I sent everything back - the drive and power supply - and received a new (or refurbished) drive and power supply.

In other words, even though you've diagnosed the issue, it's unlikely that the company will source you that one part. It's probably not cost-effective for them, and they have no reason to trust the customer's ability to diagnose technical problems. If you have some spare space, copy the data off of the drive, and send everything back to WD for a replacement.
Old 2011-12-05, 23:54   Link #5
EroKing

lol don't have that option. there's more than 870GB of data on it and don't have any other place to back up. I already replied them back like Fahd suggested and waiting for their reply. If that doesn't work out I'll make a call to their CC. They also have a page on FB and I can try posting there.
If nothing works out I'll just buy a new power supply.

Edit: got a reply from WD support saying "The link which you have sent is for only US customers not for Indian customers."

So yea screw it, I'll just buy a new one.

Edit2: Had sent another query, got lucky this time.

"This is to inform you that the case has been escalated to the concerned department.

The power adapter should be shipped out shortly."

Now just need to wait ^^

Edit3: Received it today.

Last edited by EroKing; 2011-12-12 at 06:36.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote