Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-09-10, 20:32   Link #141
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
So has this thread turned into a "share your school's URL"? Well in that case...

High School:
Desert Vista HS

University (undergrad):
Purdue University
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering

University (graduate):
University of Texas at Austin
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering

I sure love school...
OMG! OMG, Roots! Looks like we have a lot of weird stuff in common (including the wierd Purdue Calculus Fight Song). I grew up and spent the majority of my childhood in an area zoned for Desert Vista HS. (In fact, my house was right down the street from Desert Vista). Though I moved away before middle school, some of my best friends continue to live there and attend DVHS. Since I live in Vegas, I always visit that place when I drop by Arizona. It's a pretty nice school. I even know a couple upperclassmen from DV that are here at college with me.

Well, since everyone else is doing it, here's my HS:
Green Valley HS

I'll list my college some other time, tho I love it to pieces. (btw, this is the single weirdest thing that has happened since I found out that 7thMethuselah is exactly 10 years older than me to the day )
Ambience Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-10, 21:15   Link #142
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Woah! That is weird! My brother goes to DV right now so maybe he knows some people you know! Or maybe they are friends? I could be related to you by my little brother's friend's friend! That makes us practically...ummmm....unrelated.

Who do you know from DV at your college? I might know them, especially if they were on the cross country team (I was captain in 1999-2000 ).
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-10, 09:45   Link #143
Spiggy
Invisible

Send a message via AIM to Spiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Spiggy
Autumn qtr 04-05

School sucks but the quarter is almost done. The pain & suffering I've went through this quarter will always be dispised. It started when all the profs didn't assign anything at the beginning of the qtr then midway through started handing out projects, labs, and homework assignments. I kind of made it worse by participating in a couple of group activities and going on trips for school and of course a little procrastination. However...I don't think that I did it that much to have everything due roughly the same time. The last big was my senior design proposal. Yea...that wasn't too bad but getting 4 of them to be almost exact was a bit of a pain. I still can't believe that I spent 2 fricken hours on 2 problems on my TES final. Yes, those were the only problems I needed to do, sad isn't it? I still have one more final and then I'm finished...WOOHOO. I still have to do research on some electrical components for sr. design though.

This will hopefully be my last hard quarter then it's kind of smooth sailing into graduation. How has everyone else faired so far this year?

Last edited by Spiggy; 2004-12-10 at 10:05.
Spiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-10, 09:48   Link #144
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

finals= VERY NO.

Against better judgement, I started a new file in FFX a week ago. Now, one day before my psych final, I find myself scurrying from dungeon to dungeon .. doing what? Catching monsters so that I can max out my characters.

This happens every year.

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
diabolistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-10, 09:55   Link #145
elniro

Send a message via MSN to elniro
Def worst year of my life, A2 levels, major hard exams in Jan and June
elniro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-10, 10:07   Link #146
Spiggy
Invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolistic
finals= VERY NO.

Against better judgement, I started a new file in FFX a week ago. Now, one day before my psych final, I find myself scurrying from dungeon to dungeon .. doing what? Catching monsters so that I can max out my characters.

This happens every year.
At least you played video games...I haven't touched any of my systems in 3 months!! I do have to say that I still watched anime though
Old 2004-12-10, 10:13   Link #147
Sepiraph
Arayashiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
Note that in non English speaking states (like France) you can learn English which isn't useless and pretty interesting
France is a country, not a state.

Anyhow regarding school, I have mixed feelings about it. I never really like the idea of going to class and listen like a sheep, and I'd much prefer learning on my own from reading books. That's basically what I did in University, with good results.

Regard school, well let's start with elementary school. Not much to complain there. I found high school to be a waste of my time, but good for knowing people and making new friends/partying/etc. As for University, I have alot of fun but at the same time it was alot of work. Anyhow, now that I'm finally graduated and working, guess what, I have an exam for WORK tomorrow.

Lastly, I think I'm one of the few people who much prefer work over school. $_$
Sepiraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-10, 11:52   Link #148
Spiggy
Invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepiraph
Lastly, I think I'm one of the few people who much prefer work over school. $_$
I would mind a nice mix of the 2. Go to work w/o doing work but get paid and have the carefreeness of a student w/o the exams and homework.
Old 2004-12-10, 12:11   Link #149
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
I always feel like an ass being an art student during finals. I get a lot of "Oh, whats that? You have to ..draw a picture? That sounds reeeally tough." I don't think people get what a strain it is to be creative.

Oh well, let people scoff, I don't care, I was up for two nights painting a giant goldfish! Ah, finals are great. This feeling that I could cry blood is proof that I'm alive TT__TT
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-10, 13:32   Link #150
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzurial
I always feel like an ass being an art student during finals. I get a lot of "Oh, whats that? You have to ..draw a picture? That sounds reeeally tough." I don't think people get what a strain it is to be creative.

Oh well, let people scoff, I don't care, I was up for two nights painting a giant goldfish! Ah, finals are great. This feeling that I could cry blood is proof that I'm alive TT__TT
Ha ha ha, that cracked me up. Finals are great? You're joking right ? My 1st term just finished last week, and I just written two finals this week, with three more to go next week. Finals are not fun , especially if you're writing them at 8AM in the morning and 7-10PM at night . Stupid university sets them at the lamest times. Now, if you'll excuse me, I gotta go back studying the Krebs and Calvin cycles of animals and plants, why there are multiple Jupiter masses orbiting stars at AUs smaller than Mercury, and finding the limit as my frustration approaches infinity .
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-10, 13:36   Link #151
ramune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
and finding the limit as my frustration approaches infinity .
LOL that's funny yeah advanced calculus is no fun...especially if you also have physics to worry about...
ramune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-10, 14:46   Link #152
hooliganj
Team Player

Calculus is fun, but I guess it depends on the teacher. I've never had a problem with math courses anyway, it's the classes where the answers are subjective that I always hate. I had an English teacher once who dropped every essay a full letter grade if the author was a boy - that was a bad class.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-12, 00:37   Link #153
cdpinoyx01

Ahh... finals time again...
Weekend before finals = cramming time :\ and trying to remember a semester full of work...

Only consolation is knowing that after finals I only have a semester left of my high school career. After finals week, a nice holiday relaxing and waiting for acceptance letters.
cdpinoyx01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-12, 02:23   Link #154
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I'm in grad school now, and I had 3 classes and no finals this semester. Instead, I had 3 term projects and 3 papers due the week before finals week, which was pure hell but it still beats exams.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-12, 04:13   Link #155
Shadowlord
~DESU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
I went through high school with doing 0 work. Now I'm trying to skip college if possible.

I laugh at you people that went through high school doing 4 hours of busywork every day.
I'm not sure what "busywork" is, but I will assume it is homework.
I laugh at people like you, who end up on the streets of Downtown Vancouver begging for money. Congratulations, you are heading for a rewarding carreer in the lawn care business. Your happy go lucky attitude may suit you for now, but once you hit the real world, you will find you options severely limited. While it is possible to make a living without the knowledge gained in schools, your job will be very demeaning and your pay low. School, while tedius at times, is very important for a stable and meaningful life later on.

BTW, yes I know that that was posted a long time ago, however I have just read this topic and your post stood out as one of the more "interesting" ones.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-12, 04:42   Link #156
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord
I'm not sure what "busywork" is, but I will assume it is homework.
I laugh at people like you, who end up on the streets of Downtown Vancouver begging for money. Congratulations, you are heading for a rewarding carreer in the lawn care business. Your happy go lucky attitude may suit you for now, but once you hit the real world, you will find you options severely limited. While it is possible to make a living without the knowledge gained in schools, your job will be very demeaning and your pay low. School, while tedius at times, is very important for a stable and meaningful life later on.

BTW, yes I know that that was posted a long time ago, however I have just read this topic and your post stood out as one of the more "interesting" ones.
I think this "you'll get yours, hippy" attitude is a little closed minded. Not everyone equates success with what kind of white collar job you have, or how stable you are. College isn't the environment for everyone, and while it is a more socially accepted way to get out of your parents house, that doesn't make it a better way.
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-12, 04:50   Link #157
Shadowlord
~DESU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzurial
I think this "you'll get yours, hippy" attitude is a little closed minded. Not everyone equates success with what kind of white collar job you have, or how stable you are. College isn't the environment for everyone, and while it is a more socially accepted way to get out of your parents house, that doesn't make it a better way.
I wasnt specifying college/University, based on the way he phrased his comment, he was referring to school in general. He said he had "coasted" through highschool without doing any work. If you dont do work, you don't learn. He also took a shot at people who do homework, which was why I decided to comment on his post. I am not close minded, and I realize there are more than just "business" jobs available. I for one am going to work in the video game industry. My whole post was to point out that school is important and that you won't have much of a life without it.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-12, 12:49   Link #158
Azulet

wow...is this the official bitching thread?
I don't mind college, it's fun to be away from home and living in communities with people around your age. I think the "academic" part is a tad boring but really, it's more interesting than doing desk job from 9-5 or something.
I have finals starting tomorrow and I don't feel too stressed out. I've given up on trying for 4.0 ever since I finished my freshman anyhow. I'm not trying for Med or Law so I'll probably do all right. Besides, enjoying life is what it's all about. yay!
Azulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 07:07   Link #159
Spiggy
Invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord
I wasnt specifying college/University, based on the way he phrased his comment, he was referring to school in general. He said he had "coasted" through highschool without doing any work. If you dont do work, you don't learn. He also took a shot at people who do homework, which was why I decided to comment on his post. I am not close minded, and I realize there are more than just "business" jobs available. I for one am going to work in the video game industry. My whole post was to point out that school is important and that you won't have much of a life without it.
Just remember that not everyone is on the same level. Everything could have been easy for Lex which explains the coasting. Eistein had it rough in elementary/middle b/c he was too advanced for the simple stuff. So yea..it kind of sucks that not everyone has to put in the same amount of effort to get the same result, but that's why you make friends w/ those people, so that you don't have to put alot of effort into things
Old 2004-12-13, 22:29   Link #160
Reaver4k
Lucy's "Play Thing"

Send a message via MSN to Reaver4k
Lets see what's for exams for me. I dont have exams until the end of Januray and I only have to write two. Becuase my Co-op class does not have an exam.
Reaver4k is offline   Reply With Quote