Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-12-11, 21:16   Link #1461
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Kieli: Milia pretty much messed up cooking potato bread, so no, she's not an instant expert. And I think it's agreed that her shot last episode was beginner's luck and no way a show of actual skill.
Two things out of a string of nearly impossible events they've had her "shine" in isn't really enough to convince me. Still, I'm looking forward to the next episode. If it follows in the footsteps of its predecessor, the dark times are a'comin.
Old 2011-12-11, 22:03   Link #1462
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
Anatoray and Turan has an alliance remember? Seems like Turan was Anatoray's first best friend.
Damm, now I remember. How can I forget that?
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 22:37   Link #1463
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Wow i never expected my random guess about Vincent's rank to be right but it seems i was and right on the money too.
Old 2011-12-11, 23:26   Link #1464
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

I was literally jumping and clapping when Vincent appeared at the end there. He looks more badass than I remember, too!

He's got big shoes to fill if he wants to take up the legacy of Alex Rowe (well, Tatiana's working on that too). Here's hoping we get to see him do some awesome stuff soon.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 23:27   Link #1465
DangerMouse

This. Hope Vincent gets to do a lot of cool stuff going forward.

About Millia being known: Plus I just remembered Millia's already been in the newspapers including her picture in the past making the rounds, most recently in the one that Fam was reading about the peace talks in the first ep which is another way more of them could have heard of her, I'd be surprised if Anatoray hasn't worked out a way to get the news in multiple ways including even the most basic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Add to the likely contribution of Guild genes somewhere in the Turanian family tree, and yeah, Milia is probably very attractive, compared to the homely 'pretty' that Fam and Gisey likely are.

Kieli: Milia pretty much messed up cooking potato bread, so no, she's not an instant expert. And I think it's agreed that her shot last episode was beginner's luck and no way a show of actual skill.
Agreed, no idea how anyone could get Millia being suddenly a prodigy about anything. For example, not to take anything away from her character as she's made great strides but heck, she fails at cooking starting a fire, she's been studying a bit of vanships but still had no clue which lever to push when Fam launched with her last ep when it came to the real thing, Tatiana chastises her for not using the Silvius to her advantage to stay free to reform her nation in the future by giving up so she's not a prodigy leader either and she closed her eyes during her beginners luck shot last week so it wasn't particularly about skill. She's become a nicer person and is becoming more knowledgeable about the world around her which I've really enjoyed that she's had the drive to make herself useful and learn the truth about things since she's become so much more likeable now from where she started but she's hardly a prodigy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dernhelm View Post
Dio is--surprise,surprise--captain of the (fighter) vanship squadron. very interesting, i'm actually quite eager to see more of how the relationship (ship captain to squadron captain, past to present) between him and Tatiana (and by extension, Alister) has developed.
Yeah I'm loving this, it's so great that Dio's earned a highly prominent position on the ship, and good point I've really liked their planning/politics discussions scenes together so I hope they show more of how it developed between Dio, Tatiana and Alister and hope that in the near future they get to demonstrate how good of a team they've become as ship and squadron. Also I hope that this means going forward he'll be involved in a good deal of the action from now on leading the fighter squadron now that we've seen what the Silvius can do even when they're not at full strength with the captain of their vanships around as Tatiana said.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-12, 01:02   Link #1466
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Episode 9 - Last Exile: The Musical:

- When the three girls all lined up together while playing hockey, I couldn't contain the hilarity any longer. Cheesiest scene in the entire series so far.

- Animation turned to mush this episode during the hockey scene, adding further cheese to it.

- On the flip side, the music this episode is especially great. Some very stirring string pieces were used and conveyed the emotions of Fam and Giselle better than the visuals could.

- Little Fam and little Giselle are adorable too.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-12, 22:02   Link #1467
TheKage

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Also, I'm wondering if other members of the Silvius, beside Fam/Gisey, come from other nations on Earth. Tatiana seems to know quite a lot about different nations, like Glacies, despite Anatoray having no direct contact with them yet. And the mechanics seems to like Turan's princess quite a bit (and know her nickname) for people who came on Earth less than 2 years ago.
I'm not sure if members of the Silvius would really be too happy, patriotic, or enthusiastic with Tatiana's speech about Anatoray. It at the very least doesn't pack much impact. There's that very small possibility that some were picked up and never let go since they have to keep the Silvius secret but the morale on the Silvius would be very high for people not allowed to return home.

It's far more likely that as part of its mission in the last two years, the Silvius and its crew has been doing its reconnaissance job very well. They have to know the land and the people, at the very least the royalty of the people.

Plus, remember all those flyers and the fact that Fam and Gisey are probably saying quite a bit. People catch onto nicknames easily through conversations.

I've been trying to think of the whole Turan/Anatoray relationship. It'd be very one-sided, Millia doesn't know a thing about Anatoray or the Silvius (or show any such familiarity). Does it truly exist or is it something that Dio just threw out? It hasn't really come up since then.
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-12, 22:20   Link #1468
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKage View Post
I've been trying to think of the whole Turan/Anatoray relationship. It'd be very one-sided, Millia doesn't know a thing about Anatoray or the Silvius (or show any such familiarity). Does it truly exist or is it something that Dio just threw out? It hasn't really come up since then.
I kinda remember Dio mentioned "Queen Sophia" to the pair of princesses, Millia and Lilianna(?) in episode 1. She might not know the specifics, but she still could be familiar with the name and it's leader...
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-12, 23:03   Link #1469
TheKage

But that's the reason I'm wondering about it. Millia and Lilliana seem so indifferent to it. They didn't really react to it at all. All it was was dio saying "Queen Sophia and your king said I could do whatever I want."~

Of course Millia said "That's nonsense!"

Reading into it one way, you could think Millia was responding to the ridiculous notion of her father, the king, allowing some guy and stranger just give orders on the ship, Lasas. The other way of course is there's something going on but they don't reactive in any positive recognition of the words Queen Sophia..
Old 2011-12-12, 23:15   Link #1470
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Yeah I'm loving this, it's so great that Dio's earned a highly prominent position on the ship, and good point I've really liked their planning/politics discussions scenes together so I hope they show more of how it developed between Dio, Tatiana and Alister and hope that in the near future they get to demonstrate how good of a team they've become as ship and squadron. Also I hope that this means going forward he'll be involved in a good deal of the action from now on leading the fighter squadron now that we've seen what the Silvius can do even when they're not at full strength with the captain of their vanships around as Tatiana said.
I'm curious, since I was unaware of the novels until this sequel....how did Dio, Tatiana and Alister become allies?
Old 2011-12-13, 02:29   Link #1471
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Kieli: We're all finding out with you, since the bridge manga, Sunadokei no Tabibito, is still ongoing.
Old 2011-12-13, 08:00   Link #1472
azarhal

Quote:
Millia first meeting with Tatiana have her say that some of her people caused trouble to "them" (Anatoray) in the past.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 10:31   Link #1473
TheKage

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Millia first meeting with Tatiana have her say that some of her people caused trouble to "them" (Anatoray) in the past.
I believe the direct quote to that is "I deeply apologize for the trouble my people have caused you."

I thought of that as a reference to Fam and Gisey being on the Silvius's ship. You, as in the Silvius, Tatiana, and her crew. If anything it could be, but it's a pretty indirect and subtle apology towards Anatoray.
Old 2011-12-13, 15:17   Link #1474
Stevie_Nix
Longtime Lurker

Just a couple things:

Spoiler for My Opinion on Episode 09:
Old 2011-12-13, 18:11   Link #1475
TheKage

First of all, anyone else find it weird that they throw out Anatoray or Anatoray-Disith, the first in regards to the country but the latter for just the recent United Kingdom of Anatoray-Disith. Or do you think it's just a simple case of "Most of them ARE from Anatoray anyway" or that it's just simpler to say Anatoray (similar to saying United States or United Kingdom)?

I mean, they very rarely reference Disith except for the United part. The map even only listed Anatoray.

Spoiler for Location of Anatoray:
Old 2011-12-13, 19:26   Link #1476
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
I kinda remember Dio mentioned "Queen Sophia" to the pair of princesses, Millia and Lilianna(?) in episode 1. She might not know the specifics, but she still could be familiar with the name and it's leader...
Is Sophia is "queen" or "empress"? I remember at SS1, She is called empress. BTW, come to think at ep 1 of ss2, when Dio come to cabin and take command of the ship, other officers didn't do anything to stop "stranger" unless all of them know him and allow him command the ship.
Old 2011-12-13, 19:45   Link #1477
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerklein View Post
Is Sophia is "queen" or "empress"? I remember at SS1, She is called empress. BTW, come to think at ep 1 of ss2, when Dio come to cabin and take command of the ship, other officers didn't do anything to stop "stranger" unless all of them know him and allow him command the ship.
1. Queen and Empress:

Aside from the spelling, what's the difference?

2. Dio in command

Yeah. I kinda figured out everyone knows... Who they are. Millia seems like the one who doesn't.
Old 2011-12-13, 20:02   Link #1478
TheKage

The dialogue has Dio actually saying "Sophia-san"

In the original Last Exile they used "heika" which can be Emperor/Empress (they used Empress of course). It's my understanding that "joou" would be queen?

I think we've all just been adding the Queen ourselves? I forget if she's actually been referenced since then in the anime.

There's actually a little bit of difference between an emperor and a king.
Just one reference: http://www.diffen.com/difference/Emperor_vs_King

Last edited by TheKage; 2011-12-13 at 20:27.
Old 2011-12-13, 21:42   Link #1479
Stevie_Nix
Longtime Lurker

Quote:
First of all, anyone else find it weird that they throw out Anatoray or Anatoray-Disith, the first in regards to the country but the latter for just the recent United Kingdom of Anatoray-Disith. Or do you think it's just a simple case of "Most of them ARE from Anatoray anyway" or that it's just simpler to say Anatoray (similar to saying United States or United Kingdom)?

I mean, they very rarely reference Disith except for the United part. The map even only listed Anatoray.
I think it like calling the United Kingdom of Great Britian and Northern Ireland either Great Britian, Britian, or even just England. Also its only been a couple years so the Anatoray characters are still referring to their homeland as Anatoary. Also for the map, while Anatoary and Disith may be politically jointed, it doesn't mean they are physically joined.
Old 2011-12-14, 00:35   Link #1480
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
The dialogue has Dio actually saying "Sophia-san"

In the original Last Exile they used "heika" which can be Emperor/Empress (they used Empress of course). It's my understanding that "joou" would be queen?

I think we've all just been adding the Queen ourselves? I forget if she's actually been referenced since then in the anime.

There's actually a little bit of difference between an emperor and a king.
Just one reference: http://www.diffen.com/difference/Emperor_vs_King
I call her queen due to how I remember the original and due to the chess themes. There was an episode where she got "promoted" in the original too.

And as for the King-Emperor difference: has there be any record of a King being under an Emperor? Feels like there was a mistake somewhere around the reasoning?

Tags
adventure, science fiction