AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2011-12-11, 12:50   Link #1
Dante Rising

Handbrake adding artifacts to converted mkv files

Hello,

I'm trying to convert various mkv files from THORA, coalgirls, and Doki into mp4 format for my ASUS transformer android tablet. Unfortunately, handbrake keeps adding a noticeable amount of artifacts to the final mp4 file.

I'm using the standard "ipad" settings in Handbrake, with only one change. I've moved the constant quality RF from 20 to 17, in the hopes of a higher quality final product.

Any help would be appreciated. These artifacts appear in every final product. Would this be the result of a handbrake issue? Or is this a hardware issue related to my laptop when it is encoding the file?
Old 2011-12-11, 16:19   Link #2
sneaker

What is the nature of these artifacts? Note that when encoding from Hi10p sources you need to upgrade to a recent HandBrake nightly, otherwise you will get very ugly artifacts (lots of ugly, colored blocks).
Old 2011-12-11, 17:06   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
What is the nature of these artifacts? Note that when encoding from Hi10p sources you need to upgrade to a recent HandBrake nightly, otherwise you will get very ugly artifacts (lots of ugly, colored blocks).
If you're using Ubuntu Linux, there's an excellent PPA repository for Handbrake with both stable and frequently-updated snapshot versions:

Stable: https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+arc...brake-releases
Snapshots: https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+arc...rake-snapshots
Old 2011-12-11, 17:33   Link #4
Dante Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post

Thank you. The artifacts are large and multi-colored. They also appear in "patches" about the size of a quarter on my laptops screen (a 720p screen) almost as if someone had taken a painting and thrown water on a small portion of it.

So it isn't a sporadic pixelated artifact at various regions of the screen, but rather large groupings every minute or so, usually during transitions or faster scenes.

I'm using Handbrake 0.9.5

Windows 7 64 bit.
Intel Core 2 Duo P8400
4GB SDRAM
Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics

I know the Coalgirls and THORA videos are definitely Hi10p, but I do not know if Doki falls into that category (the anime from them is UN-GO). I will try Handbrake Nightly, build 4375. I didn't even know it existed.

Last edited by Dante Rising; 2011-12-11 at 17:45.
Old 2011-12-11, 17:37   Link #5
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Rising View Post
....I know the Coalgirls videos are Hi10p, but I do not know if Doki falls into that category (the anime from them is UN-GO).
Iirc about Doki their general policy is Hi10p for BD releases and 8 bit for "ongoing releases" ... at least last I looked.
Old 2011-12-13, 09:40   Link #6
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Rising View Post
I'm using Handbrake 0.9.5
Windows 7 64 bit.
re-read what sneaker have said and just download the latest nightly build of handbrake from here -> https://build.handbrake.fr/job/Windows/
Old 2011-12-13, 19:46   Link #7
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
And you should re-read what he said in the bottom of his post.
Old 2011-12-14, 02:14   Link #8
Dante Rising

That solved the problem! Thank you, everyone!