AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: What are the best new shows of 2004? (Choose as MANY as you want!)
Aishiteruze Baby 25 12.82%
Bleach 58 29.74%
Elfen Lied 46 23.59%
Fantastic Children 15 7.69%
Galaxy Angel 4 10 5.13%
Gankutsuo 29 14.87%
Genshiken 47 24.10%
GiTS:SAC 2nd Gig 32 16.41%
Grenadier 9 4.62%
Jubei-chan 2 6 3.08%
Koi Kaze 11 5.64%
Kurau: Phantom Memory 10 5.13%
Madlax 17 8.72%
Maria-sama ga Miteru 24 12.31%
The Melody of Oblivion 21 10.77%
Monster 39 20.00%
My HiME 47 24.10%
Otogizoushi 6 3.08%
Samurai Champloo 53 27.18%
School Rumble 49 25.13%
Yakitate!! Japan 22 11.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2004-12-13, 10:38   Link #21
Cornel

Is Samurai Champloo in the race, or was it released out of the time frame?
Old 2004-12-13, 10:40   Link #22
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Good idea with the poll.

And yes, I'm kicking myself for forgetting to mention Monster. It's definitely in the top five on my list...
Old 2004-12-13, 10:41   Link #23
seiftis
~defying fate

-Fullmetal Alchemist
-My-HiME
-Bleach
Old 2004-12-13, 11:17   Link #24
cf18
Mecha Pilot

Another Japanese air date for reference:
http://espanol.geocities.com/gapc/an...p/index_e.html

My vote would be Planetes and Kurau: Phantom Memory
Old 2004-12-13, 11:18   Link #25
Bracken33

I nominate Maria-sama ga miteru and Genshiken . I am dithering between the two.
Old 2004-12-13, 11:38   Link #26
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf18
Another Japanese air date for reference:
http://espanol.geocities.com/gapc/an...p/index_e.html

My vote would be Planetes and Kurau: Phantom Memory
Planetes started last year and ended in 2004.

I also use www.bestanime.com to help with referencing.
Old 2004-12-13, 11:46   Link #27
Ebichuman
Ebichu Transform!

Thumbs up

1. Genshiken - Much more interesting than I thought. I just love the ending song too!
2. Gankutsuou - Good story, trippy colors. Also has a good ending song
Old 2004-12-13, 12:25   Link #28
Seraph

I was a little let down this year. For me there was no single great show like Azumanga Diaho of Fruits Baskets. Nothing really jumped out at me. But of the shows that I did like this year, I think Yakitate!! Japan is the one I liked the most.
Old 2004-12-13, 14:06   Link #29
Rand
Dragon Reborn

Well well well the choice is hard !

But as many others here, i would certainly pick GITS SAC 2nd GIG. Music, ambiance, world. A real marvel in the little world of japanimation (Note that i adore everything that Shirow makes, although i think he did not participate to the series, i still find the original ambiance of the artist's universe)

I would also put Gankutsuou, which is a little graphical jewel, mixed with an incredible story. Thanks to Alexandre Dumas ^^

In another genre, My-Hime rules ! Cute girls, a bit of fanservice, humor, magical powers. Kinda oldschool. This show might become the Sailor Moon of the new generation

Monster is a marvel, out of any standards. Never seen this kind of story before.

ACTION : Gungrave. The Best f****** gunfights i have EVER seen. Awsome story.

FUN : School rumble : Just gags and humor. No clichés, no ero/ecchi inuendo. Just jokes and nice humor.

I have to stop !!! Otherwise i would flood this thread
Old 2004-12-13, 22:34   Link #30
mintyfresh
Altoid

Gosh, I can't believe I forgot about Monster, too! (that reminds me..perhaps one day I should pick up where I left off..)

Oh, and thanks for the interest in my thread NoSanninWa.. ^^;; *flattered*
Old 2004-12-13, 23:05   Link #31
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Did BLAME! come out this year? If it did, I would certainly consider it in the running. I'm surprised it didn't find more attention here in the forums.

At least 2 of the 5 episodes of Macross Zero came out this year, and Macross Zero is certainly one of the greatest OVAs to come out in a long time.

What else was there? I can think of a lot of titles, but most of it just wasn't that good. That's usually the case, though, a flood of crap, with one or two sparkling gems buried underneath it all (and unfortunately usually being passed over in favour of shows like DBZ and Naruto).
Old 2004-12-14, 00:35   Link #32
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Poll added for "Best new anime of 2004!"

Here it is! I have now added a poll to this thread.

Not every show mentioned in this thread has been added to the poll because I am only listing shows that
  • Premeried between December 2003 and November 2004. If a show isn't new it isn't listed.
  • Only TV shows are listed. No movies or OVAs. While there were some good movies and OVAs I don't think that they compete in the same category.
  • I only listed shows that people said were the best. Not shows that they listed as "also good." If someone didn't mention a show as one of their first picks, it didn't make this list.
People might think of other shows to list on the poll, but if nobody thought of them yet, they couldn't be popular or well loved enough to win the poll.

Finally, I'm allowing everyone to vote for their as many of their favorite shows as they want, because sometimes it is hard to choose just one. After all, it is more fun this way!

This poll will automatically close on December 31.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-12-14 at 00:48.
Old 2004-12-14, 01:13   Link #33
Budi

Send a message via ICQ to Budi
*refused to vote on the poll*

Go Kyo Kara Maoh!!!

2. Monster

3. Gokusen
Old 2004-12-14, 01:32   Link #34
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I only listed shows that people said were the best. Not shows that they listed as "also good." If someone didn't mention a show as one of their first picks, it didn't make this list.
Well that explains why kannazuki no miko isn't there. I mean it's good, but it's probably not anyone's favorite...
Anyway, I voted for genshiken. I really like how the titles make it seem almost like a documentry on the otaku sub culture. Other than that, the show's just good. Plus it got me playing guilty gear again, even if I'm nowhere near as good as I once was.
Old 2004-12-14, 01:35   Link #35
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budi
*refused to vote on the poll*

Go Kyo Kara Maoh!!!

2. Monster

3. Gokusen
I downloaded two episodes of Kyou Kara Maou when it first came out and I disliked it, a lot. Mostly because shounen-ai that wont go where I want it to go is frustrating. (Yes, I am particularly rabid like that) But then last month I had nothing to watch so I downloaded the next episodes and it was SO great! It's like I never want it to end! Oh Yuuri, you can just keep on ignoring that Wolfram sleeps in a pink nightie next to you, I can accept it, thats just how much I love you! Definitely one of my favorites this year! <3

But the best anime of 04, for me, was Paranoia Agent. I just really, really enjoyed that

Last edited by Tzurial; 2004-12-14 at 02:10.
Old 2004-12-14, 02:04   Link #36
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Wow, this has not been my year for anime tv series. There's only two shows on the list that I liked all that much, and neither of them would spring to mind if I was trying to think of 'favourite' anime.
Old 2004-12-14, 02:47   Link #37
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

You forgot to add Kenran Butohsai! that show was one of my favorites from this year... I thought it was a really great anime....
Old 2004-12-14, 02:50   Link #38
hooliganj
Team Player

I like every show listed in that poll except Melody of Oblivion, but if I'm asked to get picky about it, I'd say Fantastic Children, GitS: SAC 2 and Monster. They're all good, but those are the shows that make me think about things, both in the plot and outside, and that's really the ultimate justification for this sort of entertainment. Paranoia Agent was very good, too, but it fell apart towards the end, and I ended up with the impression that it tried to represent more than a TV show actually can and fell terribly short. Maybe that's just me, though, and I'm due for a date with Shounen Bat.

I suppose I could make my own second tier of nominations. I didn't vote for these shows, but they all impressed me with their style, presentation, and/or thematic content: Aishiteruze Baby, Grenadier, Kurau - Phantom Memory, Mahou Shoujo Tai Alice, Paranoia Agent and Samurai Champloo.

Last edited by hooliganj; 2004-12-14 at 03:12. Reason: added 2nd tier
Old 2004-12-14, 03:04   Link #39
Kensuke

These shows got my vote:

Aishiteruze Baby - Wow, when you have seen anime as realistic as this one, the story was really what hooked me, so many good and sad moments. A real gem.

Maria-sama ga Miteru - Story and characters are main reason why I like this so much, surprisingly addictive when its not much more than a daily life in catholic school.

My HiME - Mixing up many different genres My HiME was one of the most waited shows and in most cases it has fulfilled all of my expectations, its humor, action and music are those thing that make me watch this.

EDIT: Disconnecting while typing sucks...

Last edited by Kensuke; 2004-12-14 at 03:25.
Old 2004-12-14, 11:42   Link #40
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

If absolute best is the case, then my vote goes to the show that is not in the list. Yugo the Negotiator for the following reasons.

Unique setting of a man endangering himself for the sake of someone else. The show itself has very high production values [I believe 2 seperate studios were in charge of each story arc], a strong lead and having him operate in situations where the moral ground is unclear. And he completes the job with a lot of careful planning, strong empathy for his opposites, uncanny skill in observation and what can only be described as superhuman endurance and fortitude.

This show I put ahead of both Monster and Monte Cristo, its execution and delivery of the various twists have been flawless throughout the duration.
Closed Thread