AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-12-15, 02:29   Link #1
Hatter
Never Knows Best

FMA manga seemingly licensed by Viz...

http://www.time.com/time/columnist/p...956125,00.html

Scroll down to "VIZ"...

Quote:
VIZ

FULL METAL ALCHEMIST
By Arakawa Hiromu
A long awaited 4-volume manga series that tells the story of young brothers Edward and Alphonse Elric who attempt to use the science of alchemy to bring their mother back to life, with life changing and action packed results. (June)
Hmm, hasn't broken anywheres else yet...
I think with Viz, FMA is in pretty good hands.
Old 2004-12-15, 03:55   Link #2
Gluttony
Homunculus

Wow.

I've really been looking forward to this. I think Viz will do a pretty good job with FMA. Most of their translations are excellent, except for Naruto :/
Old 2004-12-15, 04:01   Link #3
Gatts
天才

Jeez, finally. Was wondering when this would happen.

As for Viz...seems like they're good, most of the time, let's hope they do a good job (no name changes plz).

Can't wait to buy the first volume
Old 2004-12-15, 04:35   Link #4
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
thats really good but whats with the
Quote:
A long awaited 4-volume manga series
last i checked it had 11 volumes, is there something wrong here or am i just confused

Last edited by whatever123; 2004-12-15 at 10:54.
Old 2004-12-15, 04:39   Link #5
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatts
Jeez, finally. Was wondering when this would happen.

As for Viz...seems like they're good, most of the time, let's hope they do a good job (no name changes plz).

Can't wait to buy the first volume
Why would they change names like Ed and Al? I mean they don't have to change them so little kids can pronounce it.
I do have one question though, what took them so long? I thought the manga would have been licensed last year or at least earilier this year...
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123
that really good but whats with the last i checked it had 11 volumes, is there something wrong here or am i just confused
Could be a typo, or they might only have the first 4 vloumes licensed, saving the rest to see how good sales are.
Old 2004-12-15, 04:57   Link #6
Gatts
天才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Why would they change names like Ed and Al? I mean they don't have to change them so little kids can pronounce it.
True, shouldn't be a problem since most of the names are already english sounding... but sometimes you never know with these manga companies. I've seen some weird name changes to perfectly easy to pronounce/remember names, heh. And Viz did recently change Zoro to Zolo from One Piece for some odd reason (I guess that's more 4kids fault though)

The 4 volume thing is probably like you said, they'll do the rest if it sells well.
Old 2004-12-15, 05:30   Link #7
WristBandMan

Quote:
True, shouldn't be a problem since most of the names are already english sounding... but sometimes you never know with these manga companies. I've seen some weird name changes to perfectly easy to pronounce/remember names, heh. And Viz did recently change Zoro to Zolo from One Piece for some odd reason (I guess that's more 4kids fault though)

The 4 volume thing is probably like you said, they'll do the rest if it sells well.
Viz got Gash Bell too right? oops, i mean, ZATCH Bell.. hahaha
does anyone know if it's out yet?
Old 2004-12-15, 10:29   Link #8
Hiruka00

I hope they keep all the little extras that are in the back of each volume by the artist, they are pretty funny

Old 2004-12-15, 11:18   Link #9
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Could be a typo, or they might only have the first 4 vloumes licensed, saving the rest to see how good sales are.
hopefuly they will license the whole thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruka00
I hope they keep all the little extras that are in the back of each volume by the artist, they are pretty funny
i don't know about viz but when i read tokyopop version of samurai deeper kyo they kept the extras
Old 2004-12-15, 13:21   Link #10
ZeroKun

Well Gash's name change isn't their fault -.-. Anyway, so far Naruto is the only bad translation I've seen from them.
Old 2004-12-15, 14:10   Link #11
dew

Viz has been royally screwing with their Shonen Jump series, such as One Piece, DBZ, Naruto, etc. FMA isn't a Shonen Jump manga, so it would hopefully come out okay. But I don't have much faith in Viz these days. In fact, from Dark Horse's honorifics to Tokyopop's Initial D all the way to Viz's basing their translations off americanized anime, I don't have very much faith in this country's manga industry at all.
Old 2004-12-15, 15:40   Link #12
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
names, heh. And Viz did recently change Zoro to Zolo from One Piece for some odd reason (I guess that's more 4kids fault though)
That could be a trademark issue, plus it isn't really a mistranslation. Since there's no 'l' sound in japanese, they use the 'r' sounds instead. Thus zolo and zoro in english would both become ゾロ in japanese (for those that don't know katakana ゾ = zo ロ = ro or lo). Something similar happened with some of the older releases of lupin movies. Because of trademark issues lupin became rupin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dew
Viz has been royally screwing with their Shonen Jump series, such as One Piece, DBZ, Naruto, etc. FMA isn't a Shonen Jump manga, so it would hopefully come out okay. But I don't have much faith in Viz these days. In fact, from Dark Horse's honorifics to Tokyopop's Initial D all the way to Viz's basing their translations off americanized anime, I don't have very much faith in this country's manga industry at all.
I for one am boycotting tp's release of initial d until they bring out an uneditted version with the original names. something that doesn't look like it'll happen soon...
Old 2004-12-15, 16:34   Link #13
BOZZY

Quote:

They actually did that in the US-release One Piece? They still using the name Zolo in the manga or was it a short-term thing?
Old 2004-12-15, 17:30   Link #14
Gatts
天才

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZZY
They actually did that in the US-release One Piece? They still using the name Zolo in the manga or was it a short-term thing?
In the first 4 volumes Viz did, it was Zoro, but after the anime debuted they changed it to Zolo, they are now re-releasing the first 4 with the name "Zolo"/off topic

But yeah, Viz does seem to get screwed with things that show up in US-SJ. Unfortunate...
Old 2004-12-15, 20:00   Link #15
WristBandMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroKun
Well Gash's name change isn't their fault -.-. Anyway, so far Naruto is the only bad translation I've seen from them.

oh... why did they changed it then~?
Old 2004-12-17, 05:45   Link #16
Spooky-Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluttony
Wow.

I've really been looking forward to this. I think Viz will do a pretty good job with FMA. Most of their translations are excellent, except for Naruto :/
Not really. Their shounen translations are pretty mediocre. They definitely like to take liberties in their translations and "Americanize" things here and there. They apparently think only 9 year olds read shounen titles.
Old 2004-12-17, 07:12   Link #17
OMchan
オムちゃん

I like their BLEACH translations. And yeah, NARUTO and ONE PIECE are okay...
But I guess I'm looking forward to FMA being brought over.

Kimi ni Todoke
Old 2004-12-17, 14:24   Link #18
Gluttony
Homunculus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky-Electric
Not really. Their shounen translations are pretty mediocre. They definitely like to take liberties in their translations and "Americanize" things here and there. They apparently think only 9 year olds read shounen titles.
Well, I do know that Kenshin and DB have excellent translations. Especially Kenshin. So not all of their Shounen titels are badly translated.
Old 2004-12-17, 16:21   Link #19
Spooky-Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluttony
Well, I do know that Kenshin and DB have excellent translations. Especially Kenshin. So not all of their Shounen titels are badly translated.
Yes, they've done a good job with Kenshin, I'll give them that.

I haven't read DB so I wouldn't know. I know one thing though is that they changed "Mr. Satan" to "Hercules".
Old 2004-12-18, 01:06   Link #20
Gluttony
Homunculus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky-Electric
Yes, they've done a good job with Kenshin, I'll give them that.

I haven't read DB so I wouldn't know. I know one thing though is that they changed "Mr. Satan" to "Hercules".
Yes, but I'm talking about DragonBall and not DragonBall Z. They published them seperately, and only DBZ is published in Shonen Jump.
Closed Thread