AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-01-07, 20:34   Link #61
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
It is only appropriate that the thread title now be changed to Americanized version of Akira green-lit and shut down by Warner

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=693709
This sounds a little too god to be true, I will wait until it is confirmed or until Vexx finds a more reliable news.
Old 2012-01-07, 20:48   Link #62
brocko

Just google it if you want more verification.

"Akira Shut Down" might be helpful if you don't know where to begin

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 03:50   Link #63
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

LOL thank goodness!! XD
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 05:49   Link #64
Shinji01

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
Actually, it's been rumored for years that Hollywood would do a live-action Eva. I somehow imagine Hollywood would make Shinji less whiny, they'd turn Rei into some hot girl for no reason, and they'd have Shinji and Asuka have a happy ending. Although for some reason, I'd think Hollywood could do a decent Negima adapatation. They'd probably age him up a few years and maybe age the girls up a little too but since Negi is Welsh, Evangeline is English, Ayaka is implied to be only half-Japanese and well I don't quite remember where they claimed Asuna was from in the beginning but I think it was some Western country(I am of course trying not to put a spoiler here) so as long as they cast Konoka, Setsuna, Nodoka and Yue right, I don't think they could do any worse than the Negima live-action program or the Xebec animated version.
Well, I gotta say, the rebuild of Evangelion already made Shindo less whiny and rei too optimistic, which has puzzled the fans in japan already.
I think white actors for rei and asu ka in a Hollywood remake will look much more acceptable than a Hollywood Amira, but still, I would hate to see either of them made by Hollywood.
Why can't they just leave the good anime/ manga alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
But why? Why is hard to get any Asian actors to play in the Akira movie? why is it so difficult if it is within their power to do this?
This is something I thought when they made Memoirs of a Geisha.
The main character is not even Japanese to start off with, the costume and interpretations f the geisha culture is totally screwed up, and it made my skin crawl as a Japanese.

Sure they at least tries to go for an all Asian cast, but how hard is it to look for a all bilingual Japanese cast these days?

A mixture of Chinese and Korean actors as a Japanese character is about as bad as watching an actor with a thick Aussie accent, british accent and irish accent all pretending to be American.
Shinji01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 21:01   Link #65
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

When the decision-makers are culturally ignorant fat old white men and empty young suits of accounting and marketing.... well, stupidity will reign.

Count me as utterly surprised that Clint Eastwood was able to cast mostly Japanese actors in his Iwo Jima films -- I imagine the "studio execs" kept talking about "the audience relating to the characters" (market noises for WE MARKETEERS can't relate to anyone not like us)
Old 2012-01-09, 00:18   Link #66
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
When the decision-makers are culturally ignorant fat old white men and empty young suits of accounting and marketing.... well, stupidity will reign.

Count me as utterly surprised that Clint Eastwood was able to cast mostly Japanese actors in his Iwo Jima films -- I imagine the "studio execs" kept talking about "the audience relating to the characters" (market noises for WE MARKETEERS can't relate to anyone not like us)
Letters of Iwo Jima was critically praised but did rather badly in the box office. But yes, that was one of the few Hollywood movies that casted Japanese actors as Japanese. It also happened to be a very good movie, and I am glad that I bought the DVDs to it. Although I think it's lack of commercial success was because it was a subtitled film, and American audiences seem to not go to many films that aren't in English. (We anime fans are generally the exception to that rule although there are some that will only watch a dubbed anime. I do prefer dubs myself, but I don't mind watching subs either.).

Knowing Hollywood, they probably saw it as "audiences didn't see it because it had all asians in it derp."

But getting back to the Akira movie, I have a feeling this movie is like Shirou Emiya.
Spoiler for FSN meme:
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 00:25   Link #67
flying ^

c'mon there's gotta be a japanese property worth milkin' once H-wood sucks marvel/DC dry!

... how about Gundam ?
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 00:31   Link #68
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Gundam would be too expensive to get a contract.

They were trying Robotech (Macross) and there were rumors of a Full Metal Panic for a while. (as well as the rumored Space Battleship Yamato movie...the one were they were supposedly going to change it to be the USS Arizona, even though the thing has not superstructure anymore, and is too small to be "Awesome" these days)

I think it might be that Americans don't really want people piloting giant robots....they want talking robots that may or may not be aliens.
Old 2012-01-09, 02:38   Link #69
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
c'mon there's gotta be a japanese property worth milkin' once H-wood sucks marvel/DC dry!

... how about Gundam ?
To quote Luke Skywalker, "Nnnoooooooo.......!!!"

Have you seen the American version of Ultraman & Ryuki long ago? I mean, Japanese Ultraman & Ryuki are already aimed at children and the stories are not that deep or complex to begin with, but those American producers still able to ruin it. They sure have talents when it comes to ruining big-successful franchise.
Old 2012-01-09, 09:04   Link #70
Shinji01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

This is definitely one movie that made me respect Clint Eastwood.
But, I don't think the actual movie did well even in Japan.

I think maybe the fact the they tried to portray the war from both sides didnt really fly well...
As much as its cliche, i would rather have a good guy and bad guy, and stick to it (but use good casting, of course)
Old 2012-01-09, 10:23   Link #71
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post

... how about Gundam ?
Michael Bay would actually be your best bet in getting Gundam done, and actually getting asses in seats.

It'd even translate well -

Bad romance subplot? Check.
Excessively flashy action? Check.
RX-78-2 standing in front of the American Flag? Check.

Wait-
Old 2012-01-09, 10:55   Link #72
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenemis View Post
Michael Bay would actually be your best bet in getting Gundam done, and actually getting asses in seats.

Wait-
Considering Bay’s insistence in focusing on the humans in Transformers movies, it makes me wonder why he didn’t take on Gundam franchise instead. But thanx to that, we didn’t get Shia Lebouf as a Gundam pilot . Just thinking about that gives me goosebumps >_<.
Old 2012-01-09, 14:21   Link #73
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Or even worst Michael Cera as a pilot. [/I went there]
Old 2012-01-15, 05:29   Link #74
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

hollywood gundam is actually fine to me. XD
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 08:29   Link #75
Shinji01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu View Post
hollywood gundam is actually fine to me. XD
Hollywood gundam, yes.
Micheal Bay, no.
That other girl thats not Megan Fox, heeeelllll nooooo
Old 2012-02-03, 21:44   Link #76
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

The same reason the All-Black Red Tails, honoring Sky-Warriors of the Tuskegee Airmen in World War II, by George Lucas is ran into the ground before it even had a chance is the exact same reason The white Airbender came to be, and how Akira will be bleached paler than the Joker as long as the current bunch of idiots remain in charge.

Observe a (satirically re-enacted) example of their evil thought process in action:

Last edited by Yui Is My Wife; 2012-02-03 at 21:57.
Yui Is My Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 22:54   Link #77
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenemis View Post

Wait-
Oh God. While I'm not a fan of Gundam, per se, I hate how Hollywood keeps picking the most unadaptable anime and trying to make them into movies.

Or the even worse alternative: Using perfectly adaptable ones and fucking them up because the director's got his head shoved so far up his ass he can smell his own breath. Same thing could be said about Hollywood collectively. Ugh. (*facedesk*)
Old 2012-02-04, 09:53   Link #78
solomon

Americanized Version of Akira.............................Chronicle?

Anyways, I dunno. I think Gundam could work but only if they really watched...........wait nm....it's hollywood.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 15:11   Link #79
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

i think either Armor Core or front Mission would translate a lot better to western audience.
Old 2012-02-04, 16:07   Link #80
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I wonder if they could pull off the correct mix of mecha and high school humor from Full Metal Panic? Along with the slapstick style comedy that goes with it, and yet the seriousness of the military affairs when those come up.