AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-23, 19:34   Link #81
Unit_g83

Gigantic Armor

Hey GFBC,

thanks for your answer. however, i think you misunderstood my question or maybe iddn't ask it properly.

just incase, what i meant was - how can sho or agito suddenly become 1m taller? do they physically grow when the suit encases them? or did takaya simply have big guyvers for the sake of making an impression of the gigantics power?

if sho or agito do not grow inside the armor, how is it possible that a single thin layer of armor can give them an extra 1m of height.

i am compelled to believe that its simply a single layer of extra armor that should in theory only increase their height by about 20cm at most but also hinder the mobility of the hosts as the extra armor would stop their joints bending like the arms or toes.

i say this because in the novels, any time the gigantic armor retracts leaving the orignal guyver armor, its shown only as an extr alayer.

anyhow - im gona go bed now

thanks for your time in this.
Old 2004-11-23, 22:05   Link #82
guyverfanboyclone

Send a message via AIM to guyverfanboyclone Send a message via Yahoo to guyverfanboyclone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit_g83
Hey GFBC,

thanks for your answer. however, i think you misunderstood my question or maybe iddn't ask it properly.

just incase, what i meant was - how can sho or agito suddenly become 1m taller? do they physically grow when the suit encases them? or did takaya simply have big guyvers for the sake of making an impression of the gigantics power?

if sho or agito do not grow inside the armor, how is it possible that a single thin layer of armor can give them an extra 1m of height.

i am compelled to believe that its simply a single layer of extra armor that should in theory only increase their height by about 20cm at most but also hinder the mobility of the hosts as the extra armor would stop their joints bending like the arms or toes.

i say this because in the novels, any time the gigantic armor retracts leaving the orignal guyver armor, its shown only as an extr alayer.

anyhow - im gona go bed now

thanks for your time in this.
The gigantic upgrade is pretty good. When GI or GII is standing next to it, it is just as tall as them. It also enhances all their abilites. Meaning reflex speed goes from 40x to 100x that of a normal human to 80x-200x reflexe speed in Gigantic form. So hindered? I think not.
Old 2004-11-24, 08:25   Link #83
Unit_g83

oh man,

we're going in circles. ok what i mean is that the gigantic looks like an extra layer of armor. so therefore, it should barely make the host any taller. the normal guyver I (sho) stands at about 6.5foot tall (including headspike)

the gigantic stands at about 10foot - so we're looking at almost a whole mtr gain in height. also, when the gigantic unit is called and appears behind sho, it always looks much much taller.

so what im tyrign to ask is - why are they taller in gigantic form? do the hosts physically grow in size? the novel doesn't make it look like they grow in size since the armor is shown simply as an extra layer - and basing it on being an extra layer would theorectically mean the host is hindered in movement because there is less space between joints (and note i said in theory. i know in the novel they are definately faster etc etc)

so in a nutshell: do the hosts grow in physical size when inside the gigantic suit? if they do grow - why do they grow? if they don't grow, then why is the armor so tall? it would theorectically be impossible for the host to suddenly be so tall when in the gigantic armor unless they grew.

this is my question and this is why im so confused

many thanks
Old 2004-11-25, 02:30   Link #84
guyverfanboyclone

Send a message via AIM to guyverfanboyclone Send a message via Yahoo to guyverfanboyclone
Honestly, I do not know. All I know is that they grow taller when in the gigantic pod. ^^;
Old 2004-11-25, 17:32   Link #85
Unit_g83

haha ah well.

guess we're both stuck there. its been bugging me cos takaya has done a great job making the whole series ars realistic as possible giving all the data along the way to explain why everythign is the way it is - n then he just goes and makes a guyver gigantic.

anyway, thank you for your help. it was much appreciated.

can't wait til we get more of the novel summaries.

tk care
Old 2004-12-08, 04:53   Link #86
Xenoveli

I wish they had made the anime as long as the manga,

and a game would be totally awesome
the guyver has so much room for interpretation
you can have fighting games, adventures, rpgs
If I ever get to be a millionaire, I gonna
a) make sure the manga gets translated(into english )
b) make sure there is gonna be a anime
c) make sure that there are multiple games on every major console

but in the meanwhile I'll just keep waiting for Tsurumaru's next post
Old 2004-12-09, 15:01   Link #87
guyverfanboyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenoveli
I wish they had made the anime as long as the manga,

a) make sure the manga gets translated(into english )

but in the meanwhile I'll just keep waiting for Tsurumaru's next post
I get no love.

If you look at my signature you can see how to buy The Guyver in English from Chuang Yi Publishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Edit: CYP has Guyver vol. 1-5 in English. They are still negotiating with Kadokawa to extend their contract in order to release vol. 6 and up.

Secondly, since The Guyver is so incredibly violent, it would have to be released as OVAs. Let's say an ova (6 eps) covers one graphic novel, there are 23 volumes to date, sooo..... that would be 138 episodes! O_O With 3 eps per DVD @ $30 = $1,380 w/o taxes.
Old 2004-12-10, 13:23   Link #88
Xenoveli

I know I know
but I was a huge Guver fan back in the day and I have some of the volumes alraedy I actually read up untill they discontinued the series
btw can you imagine reading the new manga just in at the store
the reaching the final page a then finding a message saying it wil be put on indefinite hiatus

but thanx dude if they get the contract for more volumes I'll be the first to go get it
but how do you mean released in oav's???

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyverfanboyclone
I get no love.

If you look at my signature you can see how to buy The Guyver in English from Chuang Yi Publishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Edit: CYP has Guyver vol. 1-5 in English. They are still negotiating with Kadokawa to extend their contract in order to release vol. 6 and up.

Secondly, since The Guyver is so incredibly violent, it would have to be released as OVAs. Let's say an ova (6 eps) covers one graphic novel, there are 23 volumes to date, sooo..... that would be 138 episodes! O_O With 3 eps per DVD @ $30 = $1,380 w/o taxes.
Old 2004-12-10, 18:46   Link #89
guyverfanboyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenoveli
but thanx dude if they get the contract for more volumes I'll be the first to go get it but how do you mean released in oav's???
OAV/OVA = Original Animation Video or Original Video Animation. It is a direct to DVD release. It has a higher budget and better animation than stuff on TV. It is for series that are too mature, violent, etc to get on TV. And Guyver.... well GUyver is waaaaay too gory to ever get a TV series.
Old 2004-12-13, 02:08   Link #90
nagaiyen
Shingo does Shingo kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyverfanboyclone
OAV/OVA = Original Animation Video or Original Video Animation. It is a direct to DVD release. It has a higher budget and better animation than stuff on TV. It is for series that are too mature, violent, etc to get on TV. And Guyver.... well GUyver is waaaaay too gory to ever get a TV series.
*Ahem* Elfen Lied, anyone? Now if EL managed to get on TV, I'm sure Guyver would too.

Wow. I thought Guyver was dead a long time ago. Glad to see it ongoing. Guyver was my childhood hero. If I can get my hands on raw manga scans, I'm sure my buddies and I can get together and translate it.

I seriously hope the guys in Japan re-animate Guyver, seeing how Ghost in the Shell and Area 88 did.
Old 2004-12-13, 15:25   Link #91
guyverfanboyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagaiyen
*Ahem* Elfen Lied, anyone? Now if EL managed to get on TV, I'm sure Guyver would too.

Wow. I thought Guyver was dead a long time ago. Glad to see it ongoing. Guyver was my childhood hero. If I can get my hands on raw manga scans, I'm sure my buddies and I can get together and translate it.

I seriously hope the guys in Japan re-animate Guyver, seeing how Ghost in the Shell and Area 88 did.
Is Elfen Lied on a premium channel in Japan?

You can buy the Japanese tankoubon at www.sasugabooks.com
Old 2004-12-15, 15:03   Link #92
Evil Midnight Lurker

Assorted Replies and a Question

The Gigantic is well over two meters tall. If you look at the armor-up sequences, you'll see that Sho's and Agito's feet are just under the Gigantic's knees when it assembles around them.

I suspect that their bodies are actually being pretty badly distorted inside that thing--either their leg bones are in fact broken and regenerated, or made to bend, or maybe severely dislocated. As for the arms, they seem to be a bit undersized for the body in at least some shots. Hard to say though.

Stroke of luck: this past weekend I was in Santa Monica on vacation and discovered most of the post-15 widebans in a used manga store. 16-22, less only 19. And now I find out that they're being officially translated again...! Joy.

But I had plans... and maybe still do...

I'd been considering filling the void Viz left with outright scanslations--I've laboriously translated vol. 8 and started on 9. Now I'm wondering: should I keep going anyway? Any thoughts?

Last edited by Evil Midnight Lurker; 2004-12-15 at 16:11.
Old 2004-12-16, 00:13   Link #93
guyverfanboyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Lurker
Stroke of luck: this past weekend I was in Santa Monica on vacation and discovered most of the post-15 widebans in a used manga store. 16-22, less only 19. And now I find out that they're being officially translated again...! Joy.

But I had plans... and maybe still do...

I'd been considering filling the void Viz left with outright scanslations--I've laboriously translated vol. 8 and started on 9. Now I'm wondering: should I keep going anyway? Any thoughts?
So you are planning to get the CYP guyver books then?

Yes, keep on translating! English Guyver fans everywhere would love you for it! ^_^
Old 2004-12-16, 11:05   Link #94
Evil Midnight Lurker

Quote:
So you are planning to get the CYP guyver books then?
Yes, but probably not the first seven. Bad as Fred Burke's translation was, it's still a translation, and I don't need another that badly. Unless CYP's turns out to be really good, and as I'm finicky about some things (like how to spell characters' names) it may not qualify on that ground.

Quote:
Yes, keep on translating! English Guyver fans everywhere would love you for it! ^_^
Well, alrighty then. ^.^ Might as well start here--I'll post my translation of 8 and the first chapter of 9 behind a spoiler cut.
Spoiler:

I also write Guyver fanfic, if folks are interested. Find some here.
Old 2004-12-16, 14:02   Link #95
guyverfanboyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Lurker
Yes, but probably not the first seven. Bad as Fred Burke's translation was, it's still a translation, and I don't need another that badly. Unless CYP's turns out to be really good, and as I'm finicky about some things (like how to spell characters' names) it may not qualify on that ground.

Well, alrighty then. ^.^ Might as well start here--I'll post my translation of 8 and the first chapter of 9 behind a spoiler cut.
CYP's translation is far superior to the crappy Viz release. It's unflipped, correct chapter titles, and dialogue that doesn't sound like it came from an American comic book.

*copies down the Guyver vol. 8 translations*
Old 2004-12-16, 15:19   Link #96
gaibaa

Send a message via AIM to gaibaa Send a message via MSN to gaibaa Send a message via Yahoo to gaibaa
Guyver r0xx0rs hard

Nice, nice... good stuff fella that's translating the Guyver novels, I do suppose American fans owe you an awful lot, no? Tsurumaru, I'm also grateful for your last few summaries. I've been a big fan of the Guyver for many years, and now after a decade of loving it, the series is growing with more fan abundance!

Anyway, about the gigantic armor and it's extension of height... I seriously doubt the armor distorts any of the host's bones.. I've always figured the armor regulates the host's size to fit the necessary height limitation... that's in general for the Guyver itself, and with the gigantic.. if you look in book 14, you'll see the gigantic armor topples over Sho in his bio-boosted form, but once again, opinionized that it just regularly fits itself to the preferred height.

and one last thing, has anyone been around the Max Factory site to check out the neato Guyver figures they're brining out? I've just recently purchased Guyver III and Aptom IV, you folks should get on the ball and stop dawdling around before all of their limited quantity is taken off shelf! Thanks again!
Old 2004-12-16, 18:43   Link #97
guyverfanboyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaibaa
and one last thing, has anyone been around the Max Factory site to check out the neato Guyver figures they're brining out? I've just recently purchased Guyver III and Aptom IV, you folks should get on the ball and stop dawdling around before all of their limited quantity is taken off shelf! Thanks again!
Alas, I cannot afford them.... ^^;

Edit: there is a discussion on the Max Factory models on this forum:
http://warriorguyver.com/phpBB2/index.php
Old 2004-12-16, 20:41   Link #98
Evil Midnight Lurker

Speaking of the Max Factory models...

...I have one, a Guyver Zero (poor ill-fated Cro-Mag), and it's been sitting in the box for a couple of years now...

...because I have no idea what glue to use. @.@; Regular model glue doesn't work, neither does rubber cement, nor even Elmer's. What should one use for resin kits, and where would one find it?

--Sam Ashley
"Is this a warm moment or should we be disturbed?"
Old 2004-12-17, 00:46   Link #99
gaibaa

Send a message via AIM to gaibaa Send a message via MSN to gaibaa Send a message via Yahoo to gaibaa
Super Glue...

LoL... man, I was seriously lost on what kind of solvent I should use to band together my Guyver I kit, but unfortunately I lack the time or patience to truly put it together. Anyway, to answer your question, just use super glue to place together the pieces of your Guyver Zero garage kit. If you mess up wipe it off with hot water and soap... it may seem ackward, but it works rather well and just to give you some advice, the extra vinyl on the pieces are very easy to "outer" cut, so be careful when you're sculpting it or you'll end up messing a piece up like I did >.<

Anyway, good luck with the model, and I was actually speaking about the TOYS that Max Factory is currently working upon, so check it out!
Old 2004-12-30, 00:58   Link #100
guyverfanboyclone

*bump*

Can't let this thread die!

Chuang Yi Publishing still hasn't had any word from Kadokawa about vol. 6 & up.... I hope we hear about it soon. I wanna read more of their version! Not to mention read vol. 8 & up in English.
Closed Thread