AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-12-18, 18:29   Link #1081
overfiend

Well, Shinji did kill everyone, except that Asuka/Rei thing, but that's another story.

Spoiler:

EDIT: Let's not blame Ayato for all of that.
Spoiler:

Last edited by overfiend; 2004-12-18 at 18:42.
overfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 18:42   Link #1082
AzureSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
just finished watching ep12, and as fitting to the entire series, I really don't know what to say about the ending. It may well be one of the best endings for me ever, while at the same time it may be one of the worst endings ever for me. Currently I'm inclined to think it's one of the best, however I'm not too sure if I have fully understood the ending yet. And I still have absolutely no idea whether the director is a crazy genius or a crazy idiot, albeit I'm currently inclined to think he's a crazy moron It is a bittersweet ending which I love, but it also has ridiculous Deus Ex Machina scenes that I hate, and not just one Deus Ex Machina, but two And it may have quite some self-contradictions... or not
Spoiler:

Anyway yup I don't know what to say about the ending. And I still don't understand a lot of things yet, and I'm not even sure if those Deus Ex Machina scenes are really Deus Ex Machina or not... I'm not sure if the director is cheating on my emotions with Deus Ex Machina stuff or it's some weird logic that I still can't comprehend yet... anyway a fittingly weird ending to a weird show, you could say it's a great emotional ending, or it's a moronic ending that cheats on your emotions, I'm still trying to figure out which
excuse me but what is deus ex machina???
AzureSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 19:00   Link #1083
USCPharmacist

BTW why are the gods and demons GIANTO ROBO? Was it ever explained in the manga?

BTW again, for those who live in Japan, can 2 women get married or do they have to settle for dometic partnership? Well at least Chikane and Hemiko are fortunate enough not to be borned in America cuz if they do, after they give the dieties the fingers, they still have to face George Bush ahhaahha lol.
USCPharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 19:17   Link #1084
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overfiend
Well, Shinji did kill everyone, except that Asuka/Rei thing, but that's another story.

Spoiler:
well
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCPharmacist
BTW why are the gods and demons GIANTO ROBO? Was it ever explained in the manga?
well, why they can't be giant robos? no one knows how gods and demons look like anyway
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 19:33   Link #1085
DeuceTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureSky
excuse me but what is deus ex machina???
In old Roman plays, sometimes the characters would be faced with certain doom, but were suddenly saved by the intervention of the gods and lived happily ever after. This sort of plot device often came out of nowhere, and was generally dissatisfying. However, it happened frequently enough that the Romans called it "deus ex machina," which is Latin for "god in the machine."

Today, when someone refers to a deus ex machina, they are talking about an unexpected element of a story that solves everyone's problems with very little explanation. As you can probably imagine, accusing someone of invoking deus ex machina is about the same as saying, "This is shitty writing." I hope that clears things up for you, Azure.

Oh, and USCPharmacist: Homosexuals are treated no better in Japan than they are in the United States. No marriage rights, little to no recognition or dignity. Their discrimination is much quieter, but it's no less vicious.
DeuceTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 19:37   Link #1086
chibipoe
Just wandered in...

Spoiler:
chibipoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 20:00   Link #1087
overfiend

Spoiler:
Old 2004-12-18, 20:15   Link #1088
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemi_Ikazuchi
The scary thing is I know which particular animes you are rerring to..

EDIT: Ayato's method was the craziest

Rahxephon Spoilers
Spoiler:
Hahahaha.... much as I love RahXephon (even the ending!), when you put it like that, it's just hilarious.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 20:57   Link #1089
USCPharmacist

Although the last scene was touching...I guess...I wonder, if you were walking one day in the street minding your own business and then all the sudden some dumb @#$# of the same sex out of nowhere hugged you as you were crossing the road....wouldn't you be scare and yelled "arrrrr crazy stalker trying to kill me ARRRRR!" And that "attacker" just happen to have the other half of your shell necklace, talk about creepy eheheh. It's a sign from god to tell you to turn gay
Old 2004-12-18, 21:18   Link #1090
chibipoe
Just wandered in...

Quote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
chibipoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 21:21   Link #1091
dreamless

well, I guess when you try to explain some plot events as the intervention of some gods that never even show their faces in the show, it's safe to call that Deus Ex Machina
Old 2004-12-18, 21:27   Link #1092
overfiend

The gods were - conveniently - out of town on business. That we don't here from any of them until the end can be explained that way.

Souma and Tsubasa are the ultimate Deus Ex Machina btw.
Old 2004-12-18, 22:22   Link #1093
dreamless

Quote:
Souma and Tsubasa are the ultimate Deus Ex Machina btw.
Tsubasa and Souma are not really Deus Ex Machina, it's hinted before and somewhat reasonable, and the characters are quite well-developed instead of some faceless gods that have zero line in the entire show

I'm pretty sure Souma is put there to make us laugh even without any real comedy. I laughed through the whole Souma scene in the last episode, Souma-kun you are really really a good man... OTL

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-12-19 at 09:41.
Old 2004-12-18, 22:29   Link #1094
Takemi_Ikazuchi

Every former Orochi seemed to have resumed their former lives, but I wonder what Tsubasa is doing for a living.

Hitman?
Actor?
Pimp?
Kidnapper?
Takemi_Ikazuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 22:32   Link #1095
eMpTy265
<unranked>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemi_Ikazuchi
Every former Orochi seemed to have resumed their former lives, but I wonder what Tsubasa is doing for a living.

Hitman?
Actor?
Pimp?
Kidnapper?
It seems that Tsubasa wasn't returned to normal, since he didn't 'die'... There's a shot of him standing there smoking... but I don't think he's been reincarnated/ressurected...

So maybe he somehow removed himself from the endless loop as well?

Re: KnM

Well... at least it's over.

My favourite line:

Souma: "Let me do it, since I can't do anything else apart from saving the world. Save your precious time for each other..."

(Funny how saving the world is completely trivial when compared to talk-time between Chikane & Himeko. )
eMpTy265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 22:58   Link #1096
ryuuu

maybe because it's gonna be their last conversation.

Spoiler:
ryuuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 23:22   Link #1097
USCPharmacist

Interesting Ryuuu, I have the same thought.

Spoiler:
Old 2004-12-18, 23:32   Link #1098
dreamless

actually I think
Spoiler:
Old 2004-12-18, 23:38   Link #1099
ryuuu

Spoiler:
ryuuu is offline   Reply With Quote