Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > High School DxD

Notices

Old 2012-01-22, 17:17   Link #561
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koominator View Post
Not my best but here is a quick sketch!

Spoiler for Akeno:
At least you can draw :>, all my work of arts in school were a doodles.
Xaturas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 18:43   Link #562
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

So uh.... is it next week yet?

Getting rather impatient XD
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 19:14   Link #563
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
To be fair, Aphrodite_A predates Mahoro-san by like, 26 years.

Aphrodite A was the original oppai missile user in Mazinger Z, and that tradition carried on to Diana A and Venus A.
Venus waht? Not a mecha fan, but... 26 years ago... I don't think I had even watched Choujin Locke at 5
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 19:49   Link #564
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime-fan10 View Post
Lol, I laughed when he said that. This anime keeps getting better and better!

I enjoyed reading your analysis and breakdown of the episode. You mention some interesting points that caught my attention. 1) The notion that Issei's pawn status doesn't affect his future potential and how he fulfilled his role in this episode. I agree w/ you and I think he'll fulfill his role as a pawn for a while up until the end of the season when I expect him to advance somehow.

2) There's a missing piece and we all know that's the bishop. I'm curious to see if that will be Issei. Perhaps they had a bishop originally and lost him/her and now Issei can take his/her place by crossing to the end of the board. In any event, we all know he will get stronger.
I doubt he'll become a higher rank anytime soon. As he can't really do anything yet, he first has to prove himself. So unless they can pull an instant bishop out of their sleeves, I don't see Issei being promoted before the end of the season.

As for the bishop, we have a newly introduced girl which will be part of the main cast, according to the OP, and who would fit the "bishop" moniker, going by her affiliation alone. So I'd say it's much more likely that Asia becomes the bishop, rather than Issei.
Old 2012-01-22, 23:18   Link #565
Prince of Chips
Real Madrid member

I want this show to replace Bleach's slot! Even the filler would be amazing!
Prince of Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 09:23   Link #566
zzhk
Summary Machine

I salute everyone who have been quick to recognize that pawns in chess can undergo promotion, so Issei isn't really as worse off as he thinks he is.
However, it is best to think of the various pieces as different roles/specializations rather than a hierarchy of ranks.
After all, an individual pawn promotes at most once within a chess game and returns to normal in the next game.
I'll leave it to the anime to reveal the full details of how promotion works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
But, hey, are we forgetting something? The Rias family currently has five pieces, hence, one piece is missing, and that one would fulfill the role of the Bishop.
Well, considering the full set of chess pieces, one should be wondering about Rias' TWO bishops, a knight, a rook, and the other 7 pawns...
Assuming Issei is one pawn.
zzhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 10:59   Link #567
Marina2

Wow, I used to think of this as time-killing fanservice anime. It turns out that the story is quite interesting. The animation and art style are also beautiful.

Love Koneko and Asia ^^
Old 2012-01-23, 11:53   Link #568
EroKing

"There are times when a well-placed pawn is more powerful than a King" - Castle, Season 4x12.
Old 2012-01-23, 20:33   Link #569
Midonin
Last Engage

The simulcast has begun. It's only the first two episodes for now, but it should be in tune with the broadcast, and regular, before long. Symphogear and Milky Holmes 2 (yay!) join it.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 21:08   Link #570
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzhk View Post
I salute everyone who have been quick to recognize that pawns in chess can undergo promotion, so Issei isn't really as worse off as he thinks he is.
However, it is best to think of the various pieces as different roles/specializations rather than a hierarchy of ranks.
After all, an individual pawn promotes at most once within a chess game and returns to normal in the next game.
I'll leave it to the anime to reveal the full details of how promotion works.
That's true, but the fact that a pawn can be promoted in the first place does suggest that its place is on the lowest rung on the ladder. Still, it doesn't mean the pawn is useless. The direction of a chess game can change when one's pawn has reached the other side of the board. Just like the actual game, the pawn is regarded as the footman in the household in the anime, which is obviously viewed quite differently from that of the Queen.

I think 'pawn' is pretty much symbolic and matches Issei as the typical shounen hero—a.k.a., the protagonist who starts out weak and later becomes strong. I'm pretty sure there's a trope for that.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 21:34   Link #571
lilNewBlood
Dragon Of Dragons

So want a season 2 with 24 episodes lol...
lilNewBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 22:43   Link #572
Midonin
Last Engage

Just a fair warning to a certain crowd: the simulcasts are the censored versions, but clicking on them and giving them a watch-through once is still recommended, if only because it supports the creators to a small degree. Surely ethos triumphs over a desire to see breasts... I hope.
Old 2012-01-24, 10:31   Link #573
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Well, considering the full set of chess pieces, one should be wondering about Rias' TWO bishops, a knight, a rook, and the other 7 pawns...
Assuming Issei is one pawn.
I think this only has to do with the different types, no necessarily about completing the entire family. After all,..... there's not much space in the club-room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Just a fair warning to a certain crowd: the simulcasts are the censored versions, but clicking on them and giving them a watch-through once is still recommended, if only because it supports the creators to a small degree. Surely ethos triumphs over a desire to see breasts... I hope.
Say, I certainly missed it because I have no idea where it is, but is it within the rules to post the link here? I'd like to give it a try, even though I know my connection will choke badly, maybe by my clicking on it it might count as 1 view, if I just watch a few minutes of it. Or do I have to let the whole thing load to count as one unique click?
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 10:32   Link #574
Midonin
Last Engage

I... have no idea, actually. But since it's a legal stream, I think posting the link here is allowed, sure.

Click away.
Old 2012-01-24, 10:36   Link #575
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Is there a Bishop ?
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 10:39   Link #576
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Is there a Bishop ?
Asia, its a matter of time and how.
Xaturas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 10:51   Link #577
Dahak86
Classics never age

Quote:
I'm usually not a simulcast-man but, say, how is their quality (I mean: video-quality)?
as for censored: I've seen a couple of screens from other (non-ATX channels) and there's far too many "Ds" for my tastes... [almost to the point where it gets unwatchable]
Old 2012-01-24, 11:00   Link #578
Midonin
Last Engage

About the same as anything else on NicoNico. It doesn't look too bad. As clear or clearer than any encode I've seen.
Old 2012-01-24, 15:06   Link #579
Naoe Yamato

About the bishop, Rias already has one, but it won't appear on the anime, only in the novel, but in the anime she will gain her second bishop.
About the pawn, to make Ise a devil Rias has used all her pawns, so she has no more pawn.
Old 2012-01-24, 15:28   Link #580
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Which implies he will undergo a sex change just imagine the possibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
"There are times when a well-placed pawn is more powerful than a King" - Castle, Season 4x12.
Which means that is worthless in the greater scheme of things and only under rare circumstances can be used outside its scope in life... operation human shield

Quote:
That's why there must be no support for censored broadcasts
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, ecchi, fantasy, harem, romance, shounen