AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-12-08, 18:16   Link #21
CyBerGh0sT

Did his hand appearance looked different from the original?

that place is not london the text say munich i thought london got destroyed by zepplins they say Winston churchill
Old 2004-12-16, 21:07   Link #22
Dracil
Yama

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyBerGh0sT
Did his hand appearance looked different from the original?

that place is not london the text say munich i thought london got destroyed by zepplins they say Winston churchill
Yes, the hand is actually different. On the close-up of the real world hand, you will notice there aren't two screws near the wrist, but the screws are there in the hand from the original world, hence it's definitely not the same automail.

Last edited by Dracil; 2004-12-16 at 21:28.
Old 2004-12-23, 22:44   Link #23
Hatter
Never Knows Best

Well, I suppose his extended arm "fading" into his old automail is just poetic license...

Although Automail isn't related to Alchemy, it's just an "advanced" technology. It should still work in the Real World.

This has me boggled...
Old 2004-12-24, 01:54   Link #24
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

They should've just sent in Winry instead of Ed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbitblob
also the limp [if ther was any] might be caused by the fact that his automail doesnt grow, but he does. so one leg is maybe an inch or so bigger than the other. same with his arms probably.
I agree.
Old 2004-12-24, 06:37   Link #25
sakura_wingz

Send a message via ICQ to sakura_wingz Send a message via MSN to sakura_wingz
but ed is so goooood
Old 2006-08-13, 14:41   Link #26
kuroi_neko

i was reading some comments and just skipped here... automail doesn't exist in our world, so when he passed through the gate, his automail had changed to something more modern to that world.... just like he had lost most of his power of alchemy. though it was hard for me to keep up with the movie while reading the subtitles i believe ed has steamed powered 'automail' limbs. when he was attacked at that fair or whatever .... i saw steam come from his arm.
Old 2006-12-28, 20:50   Link #27
fullmetalMonkey
fma obessed monkey

yeah it should it does not have anything to do with alchemey so yeah
Old 2007-02-21, 20:58   Link #28
Faeyice
it's animal, unbelievable
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevLar View Post
First off, a machine can't be powered from the human body (at least in our prestent future). Also this show takes place 83 years ago, so the artificial limbs don't work like that.
His automail works because they connected it to his nerves so it sends signals to the brain. Yeah when he was at the fair he jerked back his arm and pulled something and the mechanisms starting working and electicity sparked so his automail did work.
Old 2007-07-20, 14:31   Link #29
St Fenris
Wolf

Location: Snow CAmp, North Carolina You may have never heard of it, but its beautiful out here
Send a message via AIM to St Fenris
I find it painfully funny that the only real reason I joined this site was to post a reply on this thread that no one will probably even read, but I have to or I might lose my mind.

How is it that no one on here thought of the first logical reason Ed's auto-mail was different in the movie?

HE GREW!

My god. He grew and the auto-mail he had didn't fit anymore and there was no way to reproduce that technology, so he made something new, less advanced, but it worked. As to how his alchemy that Winry made, theres no way to determine that since it never goes into the details in the series. We see electric sparks fly from the auto-mail when it's damaged, so there are some electric components, but what type? Who knows?

Whew.

I know no one will read this, but as I said, I had to do it.

I feel better.
Old 2007-07-21, 08:41   Link #30
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Well, actually I don't think Ed made it, his father did. You saw that referenced in the movie.

And as far as real working automail goes... impossible. Anyone who says otherwise has lost his/her grip on reality. After all, it IS and anime, and they can make up whatever they want as long as it's realistic within the context of the show.

A human body does not give off enough electricity through signals alone to power something as heavy and as complex as an automail limb. This, is purely fiction. In the real world, even the simplest of artificial limbs (some give up to 5 ranges of motion, which is a lot) need independent power sources (i.e. batteries) in order to work at all. Now, as far as the nerves being connected to wires, okay I'll buy into that. But the rest? Not possible at this point in time and technology.
Old 2007-07-21, 15:52   Link #31
St Fenris
Wolf

Location: Snow CAmp, North Carolina You may have never heard of it, but its beautiful out here
I had forgotten about that reference. I only saw the film once and didn't like it very much, honestly. THanks for correcting that.

As far "Real Working Auto-Mail". I agree. We'll never have anything that works in the way FMA suggests. Perhaps the aesthetics will be the same, but not it will never an internal(or external, for that matter)power source.

To be honest, though, you never really see how the auto-mail works. You do see electric sparks when it becomes damaged, and electricity exists in FMA. So, who knows?
Old 2007-07-21, 15:54   Link #32
St Fenris
Wolf

But prosthetic technology has become extremely advanced.
Old 2007-07-21, 17:49   Link #33
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Oh, I'm not denying that. In fact, I think modern technology has a good chance of making advanced prosthetics that are "more human" than the full steel (or should I say, "full metal" ) automail that Ed possesses. However, my point was only that you never ever saw Ed changing batteries in his arms or anything, and in that particular regard they are at the very least unrealistic. Even today's advanced technology needs an outside power source, though in the future I'm sure they'll make them even smaller, longer-lasting, more powerful and more efficient, though that's admittedly farther into the future than I could possibly see.

In fact, as you said, the source of the power was never directly discussed at all, just kind of inferred that it was Ed's body powering it, since Winry never reminded Ed about replacing batteries (which I'm sure she would have mentioned).
Old 2007-07-22, 05:06   Link #34
hydronium alchemist
BANG!!!

well, thats not entirely true, think, when we see automal break we see lots of pipe like and wire tubes, ll guess that they emulate the bodies respiration system t provide electricity, and as for power, ill guess that it contains a high concentration of varius electronic components, that utilse and amplify the natural ody electricity, id be willing to bet that there are components that they act like muscles, in there, scratch that, i KNOW that here are muscle like components, they are called like 'sausage something something' they work by thickening and contracting, you see them when gluttony is trying to tear wrath from the circle in the movie you see the sausages attatched to the elbow joint from the shoulder, and some extending to the hand, they seem to be simply hooked onto the elbow joint, maybe actlng like a stretch thing, actng like ligaments and tendons,

i dunno, IS ed usng automail in this world, that short OVA hinted that. but i ouldnt tell if he used the automail when he relanded after killing eckhart

and remember eds description of his prosthetics to noa in the movie, he said

"my arm and leg are gone but y brains still sending sgnals to move them, these machines take these signals, and amplfy them"

trust me, watching the movie and pausing to look at scenes involving them. imcluding scene at carnival, shows eds munich prosthetic, the wrath gluttony fight, shows automail components
Old 2007-07-22, 19:58   Link #35
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydronium alchemist View Post
well, thats not entirely true, think, when we see automal break we see lots of pipe like and wire tubes, ll guess that they emulate the bodies respiration system t provide electricity, and as for power, ill guess that it contains a high concentration of varius electronic components, that utilse and amplify the natural ody electricity, id be willing to bet that there are components that they act like muscles, in there, scratch that, i KNOW that here are muscle like components, they are called like 'sausage something something' they work by thickening and contracting, you see them when gluttony is trying to tear wrath from the circle in the movie you see the sausages attatched to the elbow joint from the shoulder, and some extending to the hand, they seem to be simply hooked onto the elbow joint, maybe actlng like a stretch thing, actng like ligaments and tendons,

i dunno, IS ed usng automail in this world, that short OVA hinted that. but i ouldnt tell if he used the automail when he relanded after killing eckhart

and remember eds description of his prosthetics to noa in the movie, he said

"my arm and leg are gone but y brains still sending sgnals to move them, these machines take these signals, and amplfy them"

trust me, watching the movie and pausing to look at scenes involving them. imcluding scene at carnival, shows eds munich prosthetic, the wrath gluttony fight, shows automail components
Yeah, well, remember that it's fiction, because there definitely were not automail limbs around in the 1920/30's. That I know for certain.

As far as the automail is powered, you might be on to something there, but I don't know quite enough about physics and chemistry to say anything about how it might work with any certainty. Perhaps it works on a complex system of springs and gears, and less electronics and wires. Frankly, I don't know and I won't pretend to. However, keep in mind a lot of it was show and up to the animators to draw in filler items to look as complicated as possible.
Old 2007-07-25, 13:40   Link #36
St Fenris
Wolf

Not sure if how up to date on current events everyone is, but the just fitted the first bionic hand to a man who lost his in Iraq. Each finger is powered by a small lithium battery itself aswell as one to power the hand. The man can grip things with more force than any other prosthesis there is. Just thought that tidbit of info went along with the thread.

The don't ever say how it works in the series. We could spend hours contemplating and theorizing how it works, but none of us will know because there really isn't an answer.

In my FMA based series we use auto-mail. I, as the writer and director, had to come with something that was a little more advanced, since our story takes place after the series and movie, but made sense. My team and I decided that our auto-mail would not only accept the signals from the brain, but the blood from the body and the oxygen from the lungs, and it would use all of it to power the limbs, after all we're all made up of energy.
Old 2007-08-08, 08:58   Link #37
hydronium alchemist
BANG!!!

[QUOTE=Spectacular_Insanity;1055296]Yeah, well, remember that it's fiction, because there definitely were not automail limbs around in the 1920/30's. That I know for certain. [QUOTE]

thats what my brother and sister keep tellng me, but thatdoesnt faze me in the least, also, remember that FMA had a high degree of chemical knoledge that surpassed that time period.

alot of phenomenon in FMA (even the properties of the philosophers stone) can potentially be explained using a complicated plethora of modern scientific theories, this can only be done because FMA is based on (as long as you remove the gate and all the associated mythology from the equation) reletively sound physical/chemical concepts such as energy circulation, the laws of equivelent exchange.
Old 2007-09-04, 05:52   Link #38
EdAnnoyingOlderSis13
Ed'sAnnoyingSister

Send a message via AIM to EdAnnoyingOlderSis13
[QUOTE=hydronium alchemist;1084164][QUOTE=Spectacular_Insanity;1055296]Yeah, well, remember that it's fiction, because there definitely were not automail limbs around in the 1920/30's. That I know for certain.
Quote:

thats what my brother and sister keep tellng me, but thatdoesnt faze me in the least, also, remember that FMA had a high degree of chemical knoledge that surpassed that time period.

alot of phenomenon in FMA (even the properties of the philosophers stone) can potentially be explained using a complicated plethora of modern scientific theories, this can only be done because FMA is based on (as long as you remove the gate and all the associated mythology from the equation) reletively sound physical/chemical concepts such as energy circulation, the laws of equivelent exchange.
Thank you hydronium,the arm is powered by diffrent chemicals and substances that was melded into the metal,notice how the metal is diffrent from other things made of of the same metal,people who build automail have to get the metal from someone who made it specificly for automail.*she manges to get out of the room that envy locked her in but is dragged back by an annoyed,shirtless(drool)envy*
Old 2007-09-18, 19:31   Link #39
Faeyice
it's animal, unbelievable
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Well, actually I don't think Ed made it, his father did. You saw that referenced in the movie.

And as far as real working automail goes... impossible. Anyone who says otherwise has lost his/her grip on reality. After all, it IS and anime, and they can make up whatever they want as long as it's realistic within the context of the show.

A human body does not give off enough electricity through signals alone to power something as heavy and as complex as an automail limb. This, is purely fiction. In the real world, even the simplest of artificial limbs (some give up to 5 ranges of motion, which is a lot) need independent power sources (i.e. batteries) in order to work at all. Now, as far as the nerves being connected to wires, okay I'll buy into that. But the rest? Not possible at this point in time and technology.
Even if artificial limbs are powered by batteries, they won't work withought being attatched to the body, they would most likely have to be attached to some nerves in your body for them to be able to work. Without doing that, your prosthetic limbs would be just as useful as having no limbs. The brain has to send signals to the prosthetic limbs to be able to move, so they have to be connected to your nerves.
Old 2007-10-29, 13:06   Link #40
Kittie Rose

Automail obviously was meant to involve alchemy of some description. It's Magitek. While the basic engineering is done by flat out engineers either an alchemist or tool that uses alchemy is required to activate it.

There should be no reason why that tech level couldn't feasible create the arm itself. It's just a bunch of little gears and pulleys and what not. Of course you'd have to be a very talented engineer to pull it off smoothly, but It's actually feeding the brain's instructions to the arm that's the real problem why it's only recently become feasible technologically, and attatching the nerves(which they apparently do) - given that they make a point of alchemy attatching souls to armours, etc., I'm guessing that's how it's done. The unit on Ed's shoulder is the MacGuffin that's created using alchemy, as opposed to digital means like it would be done now. There's some kind of special organ in there for interfacing the two that's created with alchemy. Of course, this would get close to human transmutation, which is interesting. When Ed grew in "Our world" only the arm needed to be replaced; which was much easier to engineer than the interface. Of course, wouldn't the interface itself cause problems too as he grew? I mean, it's his shoulder...

However, just because alchemy is involved in it's creation doesn't mean it needs it to sustain itself. Envy is another example of this.
Closed Thread