Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-12-31, 19:42   Link #181
The Shell Bullet
Rurouni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord
And yes, the mighty video and mp3 capability of the PSP, too bad the DS can do it too! Thats right, the Japanese DS can play music and video, so if you want the functionality, buy it, you would get it before the american one.
*sigh* at least read up on the discussion before jumping right in. I'll just quote myself for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shell Bullet
Well thats pretty cool. I never read about that. But once again I would stay with the PSP on this one. I dont wanna fork out an extra $48 (about $58 CDN) for an extra adaptor, which then i would have to purchase that SD card separately, which then again i would have to buy the SD card reader/writer for the computer. I'm looking at like $150 (USD or CDN) for MP3 and video. With that money i could buy a 512mb Memory Stick Duo or possibly 1GB, and connect that through the system to the computer. A bit easier and cheaper.
Quote:
No, actually the DS is an ACTUAL system that works (unlike the PSP sometimes) and Nintendo released it because they were ready to release their next gen portable (the GBA has been around for 3 years)
The GB has been around for over 10 years before it got replaced. GBA was doing well, until Nintendo heard that it'll actually have a serious competitor in this market, so they created a new portable that would compete with it. Apparently its not a portable system like GBA, so its technically not competition for the GBA (Nintendo just doesnt want to discourage GBA sales). 3 years is a short life for any system.

Quote:
What kind of idiot would prduce a portable system with a 2 hour battery life? an idiot desperate for money, that who. Battery life is one of the most important featyres in a portable system.
Sheer ignorance. Read IGN's 'Hard Charge' article on the battery life. It ran for a good amount of time on the max settings.

Quote:
Those flashy graphics you tought suck juice like pamela anderson sucks dick. Woohoo, I made it 1 race in Grand Tourismo! but now I need new batteries. Get a clue (shamelessly taken from the negetive rep i recieved for an opinion)
YOU'RE 17?! You're going to make me look like Gandhi at this rate.

Quote:
The PSP has nothing over the DS, except maybe those flashy graphics, but hey, remember Doom3? flashy graphics aren't everything.
The DS has nothing over the PSP, except maybe for the touch screen, but hey, remember the Zodiac Tapwave? A touch screen isnt everything.

Graphics aren't everything. People just like to look at better looking things (just think about it). What PSP does have is that it comes with all these features straight from the box, without the need to search for all of those add on's that the DS requires to compete. The only thing thats needed is a memory stick duo, and ANYONE who has a digital camera, or some sort of major multimedia product, knows that they need something to save and transfer data with.
The Shell Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 20:02   Link #182
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Blade
So sony will fix the problems to PSP? Like they did with PS2?

Most of us don't go on long plane rides often, and when some one does, just bring extra batteries; I mean this is common sence, for you to point out something like that it's just nickpicking. And you can't compare the past to the present in this case--Like you said how sony won't fix the PSP problems because it didn't fix the early problems of the PS2 (which by the way I still don't get, because I bought mine the first day and I never had any problems with it). And the reason why you can't compare the past to the present in this case is becuase things change, and if I said that the PSP will dominate nintendo's handheld market becuase the playstation dominated nintendo used to be dominated console market, then you can obviously understand what I mean.

Besides, if sony wasn't planning on patching up the PSP before the universal release, then they would not of extended the release date to march+ 2005.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 21:21   Link #183
FrostLich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard Slayer
I would personaly go for a psp, why do you need a 2nd screen for most of the games that will start arent realy going to use it
and dont forget:
POKEMON ON 2 SCREENS = mental brake down
actually there are many games that are coming out that will use the duel screens in a very unique way. From forming 1 screen to using the 2nd screen as a guide to display info, it is very useful. Some games can not even exist without the duel screens and I for one find the duel screen a very creative idea that will give the DS and edge over PSP.

and the touch screen is great too.
FrostLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 22:25   Link #184
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
.................did u guys kno that most games on the DS didnt get very high ratings the higest i saw was like an 7 or an 8 and that isnt really good for launch titles
and my cousin owns a DS it is good for some games and just plain annoying in other games
i am going with the PSP not for its graphics or the Big screen but for its sheer gameplay in the games that will be coming out for it i am ESPECIALLY lookin foward to Armored Core : Formula front
and u defenitaly wont find much good RPGs on the DS either
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 23:02   Link #185
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg
.................did u guys kno that most games on the DS didnt get very high ratings the higest i saw was like an 7 or an 8 and that isnt really good for launch titles
and my cousin owns a DS it is good for some games and just plain annoying in other games
i am going with the PSP not for its graphics or the Big screen but for its sheer gameplay in the games that will be coming out for it i am ESPECIALLY lookin foward to Armored Core : Formula front

Armed core is coming out for the psp? Sweeeeeeeeet
Old 2004-12-31, 23:18   Link #186
Shift_

Or the majority of you could grow up...suck it up and buy both

Which will be better, who will benifit more, who will have more fun? The one who owns both
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 02:36   Link #187
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
no offense dude but not everyone has the Gill ur i mean money to buy both and even if they did u wouldnt want to carry around 2 hand helds to me that defeats the purpose of mobility
and OH YEA AC is on the PSP but it has a more Stratgy feel to it this time around check it out on gamespot
Old 2005-01-01, 03:01   Link #188
Phantom Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
Most of us don't go on long plane rides often, and when some one does, just bring extra batteries; I mean this is common sence, for you to point out something like that it's just nickpicking. And you can't compare the past to the present in this case--Like you said how sony won't fix the PSP problems because it didn't fix the early problems of the PS2 (which by the way I still don't get, because I bought mine the first day and I never had any problems with it). And the reason why you can't compare the past to the present in this case is becuase things change, and if I said that the PSP will dominate nintendo's handheld market becuase the playstation dominated nintendo used to be dominated console market, then you can obviously understand what I mean.

Besides, if sony wasn't planning on patching up the PSP before the universal release, then they would not of extended the release date to march+ 2005.
1. Buying extra batteries make PSP look even worse. It's already too expensive for a handheld.
2. How about if u want to lay on bed to play? my bed is nowhere near a wall socket. the plane was just one example.
3. You dont get the early problems of the PS2 because u werent part of the ppl who had problems. If PS2 had problems on every single unit dont u think it would've sold less?
4. Becuz sony dominates consoles doesnt mean itll dominate handhelds.... ur just saying retarded things. Basing your predictions on the sales of other types of product is stupid. Why dont we just say Sony will sell more TVs then Samsung becuz Sony sold more DVD players?
5. So Sony knew it would have problems long before? Becuz they decided to have US release much later than the Japanese one long time ago. If that is so, how can u trust that they'll fix the problems?

Quote:
Ratings on a site/magazine review doesnt mean every individual will completely agree with that score. It's all opinion based, and last time i checked ppl working IGN, Gamespot and etc are all humans who have opinions. How often do u see every review and ratings having the exact same score?

At the reason why u choose PSP is good tho. Finally someone who decides on games alone rather than "OMG DS GAMES ARE KIDDY" or "GRAFIX "
Phantom Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 05:33   Link #189
Mavurik

Send a message via AIM to Mavurik Send a message via MSN to Mavurik
The arguments I see against PSP are still pretty insignificant. "What if you're not always next to a wall socket." Oh come on, then you move next to one or you just don't play. If it's that complicated for somebody to charge a battery then they shouldn't really be arguing about the system in the first place. Sorry if Sony doesn't hold your hand and actually expects you to have some common sense about this one. It's a rechargeable battery, it requires recharging. Get over it.

The DS' touch screen really isn't all that amazing. It could be useful in some games to display information but it's not going to revolutionize gaming or anything like that. The same thing could be done by pressing a button. You're still going to have to look down to see the information on another screen, pressing a button to access the same information isn't that difficult. I played Metroid on the DS and the touch screen actually made things pretty annoying. I'd rather just use controls to move my character. It's useful but it's not going to revolutionize anything.

When you start talking about what's better, that's up to people's preference. But when you talk about which system is going to last, the answer is obvious. Just look at what system is made to last in the long run. PSX lasted 9 years. PS2 will last another 5-10 years. PSP is made by Sony which has a strong history of making systems that last and even if they weren't the first gaming company, they know what they're doing. I think their history with making other products actually helps them in this area, because they know how to use the market to their advantage. The truth is, I think more developers have faith in PSP and you're going to see a lot of great games coming out for the PSP while Nintendo DS will probably follow the same or a similar path as GC. I even looked for myself and PSP has a dev kit where you can use C++ to develop products and games for it. It's so simple to develop for. It has the success of PSX and PS2 backing it up. Developers are going to want to develop for PSP.

Every system that launches has errors, and that apparently doesn't matter too much because people with money know this (if not immediately, after the reports) and still buy them. A few PSPs with some glitches is not going to end the PSP's legacy. Nope, it hasn't even started yet. It's only launched in one country and look how well it's done. 1 in 5 people in the USA has a PSX or PS2. I like Nintendo too but I'm no fool. I know the truth when I see it and DS is just a system for the purpose of competition. Nintendo is going to have to step up, and I think by the time it decides to PSP is already going to have a nice chunk of the market and a large group of devoted fans.
Mavurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 09:57   Link #190
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
1. Buying extra batteries make PSP look even worse. It's already too expensive for a handheld.
2. How about if u want to lay on bed to play? my bed is nowhere near a wall socket. the plane was just one example.
3. You dont get the early problems of the PS2 because u werent part of the ppl who had problems. If PS2 had problems on every single unit dont u think it would've sold less?
4. Becuz sony dominates consoles doesnt mean itll dominate handhelds.... ur just saying retarded things. Basing your predictions on the sales of other types of product is stupid. Why dont we just say Sony will sell more TVs then Samsung becuz Sony sold more DVD players?
5. So Sony knew it would have problems long before? Becuz they decided to have US release much later than the Japanese one long time ago. If that is so, how can u trust that they'll fix the problems?

You didn't understand a word I said. wtf? Did you even read what I said
Old 2005-01-01, 11:37   Link #191
mxg
The Lone Gamer

[/QUOTE]Ratings on a site/magazine review doesnt mean every individual will completely agree with that score. It's all opinion based, and last time i checked ppl working IGN, Gamespot and etc are all humans who have opinions. How often do u see every review and ratings having the exact same score?

At the reason why u choose PSP is good tho. Finally someone who decides on games alone rather than "OMG DS GAMES ARE KIDDY" or "GRAFIX "[/QUOTE]

yes well i looked at the reviews the ppl at IGN had there own main reviews but wat really counts as reviews to me is the USER reviews and they were not all that good
and ii piced the PSP because of the impressive list of games coming out for it i am all about game play
Old 2005-01-01, 11:49   Link #192
Yuiichi
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostLich
actually there are many games that are coming out that will use the duel screens in a very unique way. From forming 1 screen to using the 2nd screen as a guide to display info, it is very useful. Some games can not even exist without the duel screens and I for one find the duel screen a very creative idea that will give the DS and edge over PSP.

and the touch screen is great too.
You have 2 eyes. Both eyes can only focus on one thing at once. I really don't see the point in dual screens, if you can't watch them both at the same time.

I was watching an episode of Cinematech, an al DS episode. I found out that trying to look at both screens made me feel sick. I don't know if this is just me, but i find that having 2 screens is a little pointless. Your mind can only take in a certain amount of information.

True that the dual screens are a very creative idea, but i don't think that it will give the DS any edge over the PSP.

The touch screen is also a creative idea, but does it work? In some cases, yes, i can see it working. But in others, i think it's too complicated for smaller kids to get into it. Nintendo is shifting it's target market to an older audience. Something that i don't think they should do, since their Nintendo Only franchise characters appeal more to younger audiences.

Then again, this is all my opinion.

Quote:
Alright, the PSP costs $195 USD (don't believe me? Go here). Thats just a little bit more than the DS. Quite a good price point, i might add

Quote:
Well, you just get an extension cord, or don't play in bed. It's that simple. Really weak reason.

Quote:
Thats a what if. The fact is that the PS2 didn't have problems on every single unit, and it didn't sell less. In fact, it still sells less. The gamecube is almost $100 cheaper. Does that help it? No.

Quote:
We're not saying that it will dominate handhelds just like *that*. We believe that Sony won't bomb with this product, and also make a tidy profit. It's going to be a neck and neck race with the handhelds.

Quote:
Do you think that Sony would intentionally release a faulty product? Do you think that they aren't afraid of a law suit? Do you think they want to lose money? No, they really don't. They'll fix any problems before a US release.
Yuiichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 13:44   Link #193
The Shell Bullet
Rurouni

Quote:
Buying extra batteries make PSP look even worse. It's already too expensive for a handheld.
The DS is already costing more than the GCN ad competing with the PS2 ($199 CAD for DS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuiichi
Alright, the PSP costs $195 USD (don't believe me? Go here). Thats just a little bit more than the DS. Quite a good price point, i might add
Japanese systems are generally overpriced than their north american counter parts. The PSP could be about $10-20 over the DS price. DS costs $149 USD so PSP should be about $169. Either way, Sony is being robbed.

For some reason the DS costs $199 here in Canada. With the exchange rate now it should be $179!! Bastards.

If Sony markets and advertises this well (MP3 and video playback, photo viewing, GT Mobile videos, and the big screen), they will draw millions of customers.
The Shell Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 15:11   Link #194
elniro

Send a message via MSN to elniro
Yea if sony did that they would attract millions of mainstream gamers who arent really interested in gaming, thats just an added bonus, they get a jack-of-all-trades device which is "fashionable" because its from Sony
elniro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 15:44   Link #195
Chronissz

Quote:
You have 2 eyes. Both eyes can only focus on one thing at once. I really don't see the point in dual screens, if you can't watch them both at the same time.

I was watching an episode of Cinematech, an al DS episode. I found out that trying to look at both screens made me feel sick. I don't know if this is just me, but i find that having 2 screens is a little pointless. Your mind can only take in a certain amount of information.
Yes this is different for every individual, I myself have no problems playing any games in any format for any length of time, but I know of others who feel they need to throwup if they play a FPS or something for too long. I can see how two screens could make it worse but as I said thats not the systems fault, but rather a limitation of the mind as you are confusing it with all the images it is seeing. However like I said this is a problem you have, and I know I certainly dont experience any nausea while playing the DS.

Quote:
True that the dual screens are a very creative idea, but i don't think that it will give the DS any edge over the PSP.

The touch screen is also a creative idea, but does it work? In some cases, yes, i can see it working. But in others, i think it's too complicated for smaller kids to get into it.
How does it not work? Is it really that hard to touch the screen? I'm sorry this sentence doesnt make much sense to me.

The way I see it is, the screens are so close together and so small, I can see both at the same time, and most games dont require you to watch both of them carefully. Usually the action is centered on one of the screens, and the other provides usefull info to help you play.

Anyways, its too early to judge these systems, neither of them have any killer games yet, Mario DS is great but its a port so it doesnt really count, and the other launch titles are not very noteworthy, however, there is already a good display of the different things the touch screen can do, for example, that Yoshi game is very unique and I would love to get my hands on it. PSP is in the same ballpark, their launch titles are decent, but nothing special, we have yet to see what these systems can do.

At the moment the PSP is the obvious choice just because of its extended range of multimedia, if you run out of games for it, it still has many uses. As the systems age then the real competition starts, the thing about this new touch screen and dual screen stuff is, will developers get too caught up over it and produce novelty games to take advantage of this new idea, and forget about the real gameplay behind their games? So far that remains to be seen, Nintendo is the only developer who has produced something special so far, and thats to be expected from them.

The PSP takes a more conventional approach, and as such it has a solid foothold. You know exactly what you get when you start to develop for the PSP, but with the DS, the possibilities are much greater, and with all that experimentation to get accustomed to this new style theres bound to be many failures.

Last edited by Chronissz; 2005-01-01 at 16:03.
Chronissz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 16:12   Link #196
Phantom Blade

Quote:

frankly i think the DS costs too much too, and to me $45 more is too much. and battery is probably like $15. I dont have too much money, so this is just for the ppl who dont like spending money so much

Quote:
Well, you just get an extension cord, or don't play in bed. It's that simple. Really weak reason.
Thats just a matter of if i want to or not. i DONT want an extension cord next to my bed, and I DO want to play on bed.

as for someone's remark about recharging:
after certain # of recharging the battery loses it's life even more. 75% after like 1000 charges. And i dont like having to sit next to a wall socket to play a game. For me that means i have to play under my desk, in the bathroom, under my dad's desk, behind the tv, or under the synthesizer.
i also dont want to play and having to end up charging it in the middle of a game. I personally dont put it on the charger after every play.

Quote:
Thats a what if. The fact is that the PS2 didn't have problems on every single unit, and it didn't sell less. In fact, it still sells less. The gamecube is almost $100 cheaper. Does that help it? No.
did u read that properly at all? i was replying to someone else's post. he said he didnt understand why everyone says PS2 had problems just becuz his own didnt have problems. i replied with "thats becuz ure part of the ppl that didnt have problems" even the PS2 didnt have problems on every single unit.

Quote:
We're not saying that it will dominate handhelds just like *that*. We believe that Sony won't bomb with this product, and also make a tidy profit. It's going to be a neck and neck race with the handhelds.
no, ure the only one saying that. look at some of the Sony-fanboy posts. They think DS will run out of buisness in a year.

Quote:
Do you think that Sony would intentionally release a faulty product? Do you think that they aren't afraid of a law suit? Do you think they want to lose money? No, they really don't. They'll fix any problems before a US release.
uhm....if u read some previous posts on this page, ppl have been saying that Sony was sued for intentionally selling faulty products.

and they arent afraid of losing money becuz they're losing money on the PSP. They're not making a dime of the PSP becuz it's production costs equals it's sales price. Im not 100% sure on this, but this is wat i heard. They're planning to beat out DS and then make money in the next gen handhelds in which Nintendo would no longer be king but rather Sony. (or so they think)
Phantom Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 16:32   Link #197
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg
yes well i looked at the reviews the ppl at IGN had there own main reviews but wat really counts as reviews to me is the USER reviews and they were not all that good
and ii piced the PSP because of the impressive list of games coming out for it i am all about game play
Dude, IGN, GameSpot, EGM and GameFAQs(esp. GF) are like the WORST places to get reviews (user or official) on anything. 85% of the users on all those sites are fanboys that have to hate EVERYTHING but for some reason LOVE one obscure NES/PSX game that somehow changed the gaming world but only they realize that. I don't know any place for good reviewers and what not, since I base all my opinions on gameplay footage, and so far I've had a 101% accuracy in picking games I enjoy in that fashion. The only game magazine worthy of reading was EGM2/Expert Gamers/Game Pro. Goto www.gametrailers.com and just watch those before you get swept away in the waves of fanboyism and hypocracy.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 18:34   Link #198
Yuiichi
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronissz
Yes this is different for every individual, I myself have no problems playing any games in any format for any length of time, but I know of others who feel they need to throwup if they play a FPS or something for too long. I can see how two screens could make it worse but as I said thats not the systems fault, but rather a limitation of the mind as you are confusing it with all the images it is seeing. However like I said this is a problem you have, and I know I certainly dont experience any nausea while playing the DS.
Yes, that would be a matter of my own opinion. I really don't see any point to having 2 screens. It doesn't really add anything to gameplay (IMO).

Quote:
How does it not work? Is it really that hard to touch the screen? I'm sorry this sentence doesnt make much sense to me.
Think of Metroid Prime Hunters. If you were a 5 year old, do you think you could control it? When my nephew was 7, he got a gameboy and pokemon. He couldn't play it, because he didn't understand it. I would find using a touch screen a lot harder than playing pokemon. I wasn't saying that it doesn't work in terms that it is broken. I was saying that a smaller child might not be able to understand how to use the touch screen in accordance with the game, therefore making the game impossible to play.

Quote:
The way I see it is, the screens are so close together and so small, I can see both at the same time, and most games dont require you to watch both of them carefully. Usually the action is centered on one of the screens, and the other provides usefull info to help you play.
But, if the second screen doesn't really have a real purpose (other than displaying "helpful information" (who looks at maps in the first place??? jokes)) then what is the point? It's just a gimic to make Nintendo look like it's doing something new with the Gameboy, instead of the same old thing.

Quote:
frankly i think the DS costs too much too, and to me $45 more is too much. and battery is probably like $15. I dont have too much money, so this is just for the ppl who dont like spending money so much
Then don't buy either the DS or PSP. Don't complain about it.

Quote:
Thats just a matter of if i want to or not. i DONT want an extension cord next to my bed, and I DO want to play on bed.
Well, tough. I've offered a solution, but you won't take it. And the PSP will have around 6 hours of battery life while playing most games (it varies depending on the amount of time that the UMD has to spin).

Quote:
as for someone's remark about recharging:
after certain # of recharging the battery loses it's life even more. 75% after like 1000 charges. And i dont like having to sit next to a wall socket to play a game. For me that means i have to play under my desk, in the bathroom, under my dad's desk, behind the tv, or under the synthesizer.
i also dont want to play and having to end up charging it in the middle of a game. I personally dont put it on the charger after every play.
Do you really play a portable that much? I mean, 1000 charges is QUITE a lot. I don't think i've charged my laptop that much (i've had it for a year) and i use it every single day. I notice no degredation of the battery (and i do get about 2 hours of battery life).

Quote:
no, ure the only one saying that. look at some of the Sony-fanboy posts. They think DS will run out of buisness in a year.
And obviously you are a Nintendo fanboy, because you're defending it like mad. I was looking at the "Sony fanboy" posts, and i don't see many of them saying that the DS will go out of business. I do see Nintendo fanboys saying that Sony will fail in their attempt to go out into the market of handhelds.

Quote:
uhm....if u read some previous posts on this page, ppl have been saying that Sony was sued for intentionally selling faulty products.

and they arent afraid of losing money becuz they're losing money on the PSP. They're not making a dime of the PSP becuz it's production costs equals it's sales price. Im not 100% sure on this, but this is wat i heard. They're planning to beat out DS and then make money in the next gen handhelds in which Nintendo would no longer be king but rather Sony. (or so they think)
It is true that Sony is selling the PSP for just cost. They aren't making much money on each unit. They aren't giving money away either, mind you. Sony is much smarter than that, and they wouldn't be doing this if they didn't feel they had to sell.

You see, Nintendo had a big advantage against Sony. The DS would be out on the shelves months before the PSP would be. Thats one of the many reasons why PS2 did as well as it did. People buy the first thing that comes out, because they want the newest device. Once they get that "new device", they won't buy the second one, forcing the second company out of the box to come up with more promotion of their unit.

Sony might not be making much money per unit, but you can be sure that they will be making money on the software. And who knows, maybe Sony will take over the handheld market like they took the console market. Maybe Nintendo will remain as kind of handhelds, and fight off the Sony monster. Only time will tell.
Yuiichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 18:37   Link #199
Chronissz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki
Dude, IGN, GameSpot, EGM and GameFAQs(esp. GF) are like the WORST places to get reviews (user or official) on anything. 85% of the users on all those sites are fanboys that have to hate EVERYTHING but for some reason LOVE one obscure NES/PSX game that somehow changed the gaming world but only they realize that. I don't know any place for good reviewers and what not, since I base all my opinions on gameplay footage, and so far I've had a 101% accuracy in picking games I enjoy in that fashion. The only game magazine worthy of reading was EGM2/Expert Gamers/Game Pro. Goto www.gametrailers.com and just watch those before you get swept away in the waves of fanboyism and hypocracy.
Yes everyone loves to bash the big gaming review sites, I'm not going to say one if better then the other, they all have their fair share of bad/unfair/too lenient reviews, it is best to look at the whole picture, and get an average of all the reviews together, that is why www.gamerankings.com is the best site to visit IMO.
Chronissz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 19:47   Link #200
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

If you guys have been following IGN closely, you'll know that they are biased towards the PSP, so I wouldn't trust them too much.

-----

About the battery life. I don't see why the pro-PSP crowd is trying so hard to excuse and ignore the problem. Remember the Sega Game Gear? It actually had COLOR and a BACKLIT SCREEN. The opponent was the Nintendo Game Boy, with black & white graphics and no backlit screen.

Who do you think won? The Game Boy.

Why? It was cheaper, had much better battery life, and a killer application, Tetris.
The Game Gear may have been awesome in its display, but it used SIX BATTERIES and lasted 3 HOURS.

So what do we learn from this? Battery life IS important. It's a handheld, people, a portable! You are supposed to be able to play it where you want, and for a good amount of time.
Having to recharge every 3 to 6 hours is not what would be called good battery life. It's a portable device, we shouldn't have to recharge that much.

In turn, its short battery life makes it have to be recharged more, making it last less in the long run.

Sure, you may not play games that much, but maybe you should consider another platform then, if you don't seem to be all that interested in gaming. In that case, a portable wouldn't be something to spend your money on.

What if you get a new game, and you're hooked on it? Oh damn, my battery ran out. I'll have to wait some hours before I can play again.
You can save on battery life by reducing the quality of the system's output (graphics, sound), but then, doesn't the PSP's awesome graphics and sound become a bit pointless, since you can't enjoy it at its full extent? The player should be able to choose how he wants to play his games and not be hindered by battery life.

All I'm trying to prove here is that battery life is important. Come on, guys. At least think about it instead of just dismissing it.
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote