Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-31, 10:47   Link #161
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
All this talk of good and bad makes me think of don flamingo. He summed it up nicely:
True, but Law doesn't seem as sadistic as Doflamingo.
Old 2012-03-31, 12:07   Link #162
tminty1

We really don't know what Law is like. We just know he's cruel according to others.
Old 2012-03-31, 12:20   Link #163
Talendra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tminty1 View Post
We really don't know what Law is like. We just know he's cruel according to others.
Which is worth basically nothing, since we know how "others" talk about the bloodythirsty and dangerous Strawhats as well, dont we ?

Seeing that Luffys relation with Law seems to be rather positive, thats probably our best indicator so far, that Law is one of the rather good guys (even if its just the good part of "grey")
Old 2012-03-31, 13:19   Link #164
marvelB

Personally, I'd say that Law would be most accurately labeled as a "rival". Not necessarily a "friendly" one (even if he saved Luffy's life once), but a rival nonetheless. At the very least, we know that both captains respect each other (this counts for Kidd as well, despite how vicious he can also tend to be), so I don't think Luffy would immediately bash Law's skull in after realizing what he did to his crew and Smoker (on the contrary, he'd probably find his crew's predicament hilarious ). At the very least, he may wait for an explanation before taking any action (he's not as impatient as many people think, remember. He did just spend 2 years training himself before reuniting with his crew, after all).....
Old 2012-03-31, 15:25   Link #165
yakumo-chan

I still feel that trafalgar Law did something fishy inside Luffy's body after the Marineford War...

Apoo said that "he would save Luffy in that war if there wasnt some catch"
Old 2012-03-31, 17:05   Link #166
Talendra

Well, we know Law is - at least partly - informed about the whole will of D thingy, so he might just have been "interested" in Luffy. For me at least, Law just doesn't emit any serious villian vibe. I suppose marbelB is pretty much correct about the rival thing, we knew this basically since the auction house scene; and since Kid takes the role of the borderline bad-guy-rival, I suppose it wouldn't make much sense for Law to be the bad-rival type as well, now would it?
Old 2012-03-31, 20:11   Link #167
paradox13
zzz

Quote:
since Kid takes the role of the borderline bad-guy-rival, I suppose it wouldn't make much sense for Law to be the bad-rival type as well, now would it?
Why is Kidd the 'borderline bad-guy rival'?

How do you even define good or bad?

Kidd is vicious but he is honestly vicious and ruthless. Law to me is an unknown quantity. He likes to hide his motivations behind a facade. That is what is scary about his character.

Yet people are so quick to call him 'good'
Old 2012-03-31, 20:39   Link #168
golgo13

Law definitely feels like an unknown quantity. Everything he has done so far makes him seem like an ally of the SHs, but there
is this feeling of underhanded action or yet to be revealed intention that seems to hang there.

Where is beppo??

Will be interesting to see how brownbeard interacts with Law.
Old 2012-03-31, 21:03   Link #169
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Guys i had a new wild theory ( call it farfetched too if you must).

I have a feeling Tashigi will join the crew. Like maybe Smoker dieing and then she joining them after some dramatic events Oda will write for us. She let them go once ( during the Alabasta arc). Just a wild theory .

I have had this idea for a very long time but in this chapter and the flash back Tashigi had ( about Smoker talking about pirates), to me it's an indication of the possibility that she might join ( of course plus other subtle hints during the series of that possibility).

What do you guys think?

P.S. I do think the Harpy is cool too .
Old 2012-03-31, 22:08   Link #170
Talendra

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Why is Kidd the 'borderline bad-guy rival'?
How do you even define good or bad?
Kidd is vicious but he is honestly vicious and ruthless. Law to me is an unknown quantity. He likes to hide his motivations behind a facade. That is what is scary about his character.

Yet people are so quick to call him 'good'
Because he is, as you said, vicious and ruthless. In my book, thats a big step towards being a bad guy At this point he is more of a rival than a villian tho, which is also the reason why I do consider him only "borderline" bad guy.

You are right, Law indeed seems more mysterious than Kid, however, we do know his motivation since Shabondy: One Piece/becoming Pirate King, just like Luffy and Kid; which is why these 3 are considered rivals in the first place. Now if you think about it, when it comes to actual deeds, we know even less about Kid than we do about Law. From the latter we at least know of his involvement in saving Luffys life (obviously risking his and his crews life in the process). We also know he has chosen the Shichibukai as a stepping stone for his way to Raftel. Yea... I do think we know less about Kid than we do about Law, no matter how much more mysterious he may seem.

Additionally, when hes not goofing around, i.e. when its about non-comic-relief characters, Luffy does have a pretty good nose when it comes to other people. Especially after the timeskip with CoO and the whole sensing evil auras stuff; I still think that big smile of Luffy when he saw him is quite a strong indicator about what we can expect from Law.

So for all these reasons I do think that character wise, Law will be somewhere between Luffy and Kid.

Anyways, by the end of this arc, Oda could have prooven me a total fool, still, we do have more hints for a "good" Law than for a "bad" one.
Old 2012-03-31, 22:42   Link #171
paradox13
zzz

Quote:
Additionally, when hes not goofing around, i.e. when its about non-comic-relief characters, Luffy does have a pretty good nose when it comes to other people. Especially after the timeskip with CoO and the whole sensing evil auras stuff; I still think that big smile of Luffy when he saw him is quite a strong indicator about what we can expect from Law.
I'm not sure that's a valid argument.

Luffy has a pretty good track record with 'baddies' (although how do you define a bad guy? a sadist? or a psychopath..).. but that's only because practically none of them tried to hide that fact from him.

Law seems to be a pretty devious character. I don't think we should conclude about whether or not hes a 'good guy' just because firstly its hard to say what exactly 'good' even means and secondly because we don't know enough about his character (at all) to judge. Yes he saved Luffy's life, but did he do it so that Luffy owes a debt to him? Or did he mess with his body?

It's impossible to say at this point.
Old 2012-03-31, 22:49   Link #172
Talendra

Fair enough, indeed valid points you make there; we can't know anything for sure at this point.

I actually would like a twist where Law messed Luffy up in some weird way during the operation, would be pretty interesting .

Still, since we don't know anything, we have to rely on hints and minor indicators to speculate, and in that regards, the points I made do qualify, don't they?
Old 2012-03-31, 23:03   Link #173
paradox13
zzz

You are right in that Luffy does seem to have an uncanny ability to 'sniff' out bad guys.. he has a pretty good track record in that area. Can't really argue against that.
Old 2012-03-31, 23:08   Link #174
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
Guys i had a new wild theory ( call it farfetched too if you must).

I have a feeling Tashigi will join the crew. Like maybe Smoker dieing and then she joining them after some dramatic events Oda will write for us. She let them go once ( during the Alabasta arc). Just a wild theory .

I have had this idea for a very long time but in this chapter and the flash back Tashigi had ( about Smoker talking about pirates), to me it's an indication of the possibility that she might join ( of course plus other subtle hints during the series of that possibility).

What do you guys think?

P.S. I do think the Harpy is cool too .
I don't really see that happening. First of all, she's a swordsman. Or swordswoman? . . . She uses a sword to battle. Let's put it that way. However, Zoro and Brook already do that, and a third samura / knight type of character would be overkill. Secondly, and more importantly, she hates pirates. Just like you said, she remembers Smoker's words from way back, but unlike you, I really don't see that contributing to her joining the strawhats. In fact, the exact opposite is the case in my opinion. She believes in those words, and I don't see her believes being shaken that easily or quickly that she'd join during this arc. The only fact that would speak for her joining right now is that she's a woman, which there are only two of in the crew right now. I know that you didn't specifically say that you could imagine her joining soon, but I just guess that that's what you meant. However, because of the first point I made, I highly doubt that she'll be joining at any point anyway.

It is possible though, that she may become a supporter of the strawhats. In that case, Smoker's words can indeed be interpreted as a hint towards that. They resemble a believe that may be shaken in the future, especially with the world government being more corrupted than ever. As an inside force, a mowl so to speak, Tashigi might actually be even more valuable to the strawhats than as a member, especially since I don't see her being able to keep up with even the lesser strong crew members like Franky or Chopper, not to put them down or anything of course.

I think that by the end of the series, many characters that were enemies before, might end up being supporters of Luffy. Aokiji and Garp are the first hints toward that, and Tashigi might join them at some point as well. But even other villains like Kizaru or Akainu might be possible candidates for that. After all, Blackbeard is probably going to be the big final opponent, and if we go by the rules of the series that have been upheld so far, only Luffy will be able to stop that guy.
Old 2012-03-31, 23:10   Link #175
paradox13
zzz

Quote:
Akainu might be possible candidates for that
I don't think that is possible.

It is too out of character for Akainu to compromise.
Old 2012-03-31, 23:34   Link #176
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
I don't think that is possible.

It is too out of character for Akainu to compromise.
Indeed, Akainu seems set to be a villain, unlike for example Aokiji, who was pretty lenient on the Straw Hats when he could've completely destroyed them before Enies Lobby. He also let them escape twice, while Akainu killed Ace.

I actually think that in the end, there's going to be a huge battle/war between multiple parties, each with their own reasons - it'd be more interesting than just having two parties fight...
Old 2012-04-01, 09:39   Link #177
marvelB

Akainu? An ally? Hah! Now I'm reminded of those nutty people who "predicted" that Lucci would become a Straw-Hat at the very last minute of the EL arc (though ironically, Lucci being a potential ally isn't out of the question now considering what became of CP9 after that storyline.....).

BTW, something occurred to me: What if "M" is the samurai's son? I know the head described him as a child, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he's the same age as the giant babies. For all we know, he could be the same age as Luffy. Furthermore, we've already gotten the son's name: Momonosuke. And just what letter does that start with, hmmm?

Now considering that theory is correct, we can somewhat piece some events together: Momonosuke went to PH to conduct those crazy experiments there, and joined forces with Law at some point. His father learned of his whereabouts and went to PH himself to search for him, but was unfortunate enough to have a run-in with Law, and..... well, we already know what happened there. Anyways, I know it's a little out there, but there's my little theory.....
Old 2012-04-01, 10:17   Link #178
zeando
maybenotimome

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
BTW, something occurred to me: What if "M" is the samurai's son? I know the head described him as a child, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he's the same age as the giant babies. For all we know, he could be the same age as Luffy. Furthermore, we've already gotten the son's name: Momonosuke. And just what letter does that start with, hmmm?

Now considering that theory is correct, we can somewhat piece some events together: Momonosuke went to PH to conduct those crazy experiments there, and joined forces with Law at some point. His father learned of his whereabouts and went to PH himself to search for him, but was unfortunate enough to have a run-in with Law, and..... well, we already know what happened there. Anyways, I know it's a little out there, but there's my little theory.....
sounds more interesting than M being Hawkins anyway
to aid a little that idea, since the wano country is renowned for it's strict security, even for the NewWorld standards, it would sound a bit odd if a someone managed to kidnap a child from there not getting busted, so i find it likely too the son isn't a child (even if the head asked about his son to the childs in the biscuit room)
Old 2012-04-01, 13:53   Link #179
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post

That's a very good theory. Gonna need more evidence though.
Old 2012-04-01, 22:31   Link #180
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

I really hope Law reveals why he saved Luffy back in the war.