AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2005-01-05, 09:37   Link #561
Wolfslord

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfslord
Yeah wise and old.Sorry I let some aspects out.
Wolfslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-05, 09:41   Link #562
tenchimato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi_Ikari
That seems to be a habit. They also could've avoided a LOT of Saber/Sabre or Savior/Saviour confusion if they'd gone with セイヴァー instead of セイバー.

If it's a "v" sound, why is his katakana "varutoferudo" wrong? They don't have to substitute b for v anymore, katakana has a set of va vi vu ve vo. ヴァ ヴィ ヴ ヴェ ヴォ.

I'm not sure how the w sounds in German, but if a "v" sound is written in katakana, normally it is written with the katakana "bi". There's no logical explanation for this. It is not a current practice for a Japanese to transcribe foreign words with "v" sounds into ヴァ ヴィ ヴ ヴェ ヴォ katakanas.

But I can provide an easy example: Television in Japanese is pronounced and written with a "bi" sound ---> te-re-bi (short for televi.). Anyways I'm sure ppl can come up with a lot more of examples.

Edited for cutting/pasting problems
I hope that helped...
tenchimato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-05, 10:17   Link #563
Abicion
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Abicion
So, who thinks Saviour will eventually fall victim to Athrun's inexplicable pattern of blowing his stuff up?

I deeply fear she will soon be howling with the robot angels; along with her pals Hurry, Evangelion Unit 3, the Gao Beasts, Data, half of the cast of Choukousenki Kikaioh, and that cyborg guy from Eternal Champions.
Abicion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-05, 11:15   Link #564
SlugZilla
woofles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchimato
I'm not sure how the w sounds in German, but if a "v" sound is written in katakana, normally it is written with the katakana "bi". There's no logical explanation for this. It is not a current practice for a Japanese to transcribe foreign words with "v" sounds into ヴァ ヴィ ヴ ヴェ ヴォ katakanas.

But I can provide an easy example: Television in Japanese is pronounced and written with a "bi" sound ---> te-re-bi (short for televi.). Anyways I'm sure ppl can come up with a lot more of examples.

Edited for cutting/pasting problems
I hope that helped...
I think its because b is much easier to say than v, that it has become natural to use it, but not necessarily correct.

Here they use ヴェ
http://namco-ch.net/talesofrebirth/character/index.php
Veigue --> ヴェイグ

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%...83%80%E3%83%BC
[Darth] Vader would be ヴェイダー
It is common if someone unconciously uses ベイダー(Beidaa), but it's not correct.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote