Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Bleach

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-31, 05:50   Link #61
sangofe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunboat Diplomat
A plethora of groups are subbing this title and I was wondering if anyone can suggest which one I might like. I prefer a more literal translation but I also appreciate coherent English sentences. I also prefer a very clear and simple font.

Thanks for your help!
'

anbu-keep
unbelievely good karaoke and video.

translatoins are okay, but seems weird to me at some points.
but nothing bad.
Old 2004-11-20, 12:49   Link #62
sothis

hi guys,

i know this thread is a few weeks old at this point, but someone just pointed it out to me so i'd like to make a few comments.

as the person who runs Anime-Planet i feel i should interject:

specifically to dekamaster:

Quote:
A site dedicated to ripping apart fansubs is a lame idea IMO.
sounds like someone hasn't taken the time to go anywhere except where the link took you. first and foremost, the purpose of Anime-Planet (or i should say, the largest tool) is the Anime Recommendation Database. you might notice this linked from many of the suki pages ("AniRec Database"). here, you can search for a series you like, and it shows you a list of others people think you'd like. all entries have screenshots and descriptions hand written (none taken from nfo which sound like crap, etc). currently around 6,500 recommendations and 700 series created from scratch. also, there's the Vendors List (which i'll be posting about soon, having received permission from NoSanninWa ^_^), which lists any anime vendors online that sell ZERO BOOTLEGS. a rating system is in place as well, though not fully functional yet (this is a new tool). third, a reviews database (still not huge, it's new). fourth, the forum which, yes, contains info on fansub quality. however, it is a fractional part compared to the rest of the site.

to everyone else, especially those who keep saying the site reviewers are elitist and biased:

if you feel this way, why do i not have an email or a private message in my inbox saying so? why is it that people online can whine and complain everywhere, but never try to do anything to stop the problem? i take complaints about the fansub quality forum very seriously, and all i've ever asked (including blatantly saying this in the forum itself) is that people let me know if you feel something sketchy is going on. i personally don't think there is a lot of elitist or biased attitudes, and if there are, well, i'd appreciate a pm telling me who. flaming is NOT ALLOWED, and mostly everyone who posts respects that and tend to post constructive criticisms. i try to personally contact those who i feel are being too flame-worthy or biased, but i don't read every thread so i rely on user comments. or, the moderators are ALL unbiased (including masakari, who people always claim is not), and will gladly listen to pm's from users as well and take care of problems.

the goal of the section is twofold:
1. be a place where users can visit to figure out (with their own judgement) which version to download

2. be a place where fansubbers can come to hear constructive criticism, and possibly improve on their subs. for the most part, i've never heard any fansubber say the forum is a bad thing... usually they are happy and thankful it exists and improve greatly. if they don't complain, why should you? often the people arguing about translations and such ARE TRANSLATORS from various groups. or people discussing different encoding styles ARE ENCODERS. other users can chime in whenever they want about their opinions too, it's a very friendly environment.

so, in summary, if you have a problem, feel free to take it up with me. if not, kindly don't say things like "they are elitist" or "they are biased, all of them" without having either arguments to back it up, or a message in my inbox so i can help fix the problem (so then you, and other users will want to visit the site, as that's my job.)
Old 2004-11-20, 13:40   Link #63
Shenlong

My post was unecessarily deleted but..

I said that your Anime Planet looked like a good resource that I would recommend as long as people make an attempt to seperate the useful info from the bashing. The screenshot and translation comparisons are always very interesting reading, but from what I saw a good portion of the comments were people stroking their e-egos and with axes to grind against certain groups that got annoying really fast. I feel people should visit the forum with that in mind and use their heads to identify the good from the crap.

Good luck with your site and board, I've become a regular user
Old 2004-11-20, 18:49   Link #64
sothis

glad to hear that, shenlong ^_^

i still would be totally down for hearing who seem to be biased and are against other groups, i really try to crack down on that as fast as possible ^_^... don't want that kinda thing in that section for sure.
Old 2005-12-22, 21:21   Link #65
truly_FLCL

Send a message via AIM to truly_FLCL
Favorite Bleach fansub?

Which one do you guys prefer? I only have Lunar Anime, so I don't know if that's the best one or not.
Old 2005-12-23, 01:24   Link #66
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

That's a tough question. Honestly many of the groups subbing Bleach have such different philosophies of subbing that it is mostly a matter of personal choice.

For instance, Lunar uses extremely colloqial vernacular for everyone. In the case of Gin, the dialect that they sub him with drives many people crazy. Other people including myself really appreciate the way that they dialectize the dialogue and feel it adds a great deal to the color of the anime, suiting it wonderfully.

Then there is Anime-Keep which is doing a truly marvelous job. They are arguably using the best translation, combined with a more standard way of fansubbing dialogue. The people who love Anime-Keep best wouldn't budge for anything. Even if they aren't my first choice, I truly understand why.

Then there are other slow subbers like Conclave, that I honestly haven't watched and a whole host of speed subbers with varying levels of quality. I'm certain that others will eagerly tell you which group that they find the best and in some cases they will even be able to enunciate the reason why.

I'd just like to end by saying that u1tima lists screenshot comparisons for pretty much every group to give you a taste of how they differ. Check them out:
Bleach episode 1
Bleach episode 26
Bleach episode 52-53
After looking at those screenies you might have an idea which groups you want to try downloading. Unfortunately DatteBOING isn't on that site yet, but their quality is quite good for a speedsubber, despite their silly name.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2005-12-23, 02:32   Link #67
Taylor--
!

Out of the ones I've watched..

Dattebayo: Out fast, and good quality. 5/5
Lunar: For the past while they've became slow, but real good quality. 4.5/5
Anime-Keep: Excellent Quality, really slow. 4/5
Bleach Society: Personally don't like their subs, decent quality, out fast. 3/5
Old 2005-12-23, 03:28   Link #68
Mousuke

Personally I think that Lunar is the best, but I usually get Dattebayo because it comes out overnight ^_^ Dattebayo is pretty good, actually, I have no complaints about it
Old 2005-12-23, 03:55   Link #69
Grees
Ehhh

I follow Lunars for awhile, but they are becoming too slow for my taste. DB is my choice.
Old 2005-12-23, 04:04   Link #70
cimtesa

Favorite Bleach fansub?

www.my_stufs.kik.com/okis/support_vids/anni.html
Old 2005-12-23, 04:09   Link #71
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimtesa
I assume you are saying that you prefer watching a Polish group? Otherwise your answer is meaningless.

Edit: Hmm... since the link and the name of the link are different, it might be pretty much impossible to figure out what you meant even if I spoke Polish.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2005-12-23, 05:35   Link #72
bayoab

Note: I do not watch this series religiously but I have seen 1 from every group except Lunar as I know how they do things and it is usually pain to watch. The most important thing to me is a good translation.

Beside the stupid silly grammar mistakes, Naisho/TW usually has the best translation. (However, they are incredibly slow which would make them unacceptable to anyone except those who really do not need to see the episode the day after it airs.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Then there is Anime-Keep which is doing a truly marvelous job. They are arguably using the best translation, combined with a more standard way of fansubbing dialogue. The people who love Anime-Keep best wouldn't budge for anything. Even if they aren't my first choice, I truly understand why.

Then there are other slow subbers like Conclave, that I honestly haven't watched and a whole host of speed subbers with varying levels of quality.
Wouldn't this be vice-versa? Conclave is the part of Keep that was originally working on Bleach.

I have seen Anime-Keep's before the Conclave split and the translation was decent...
but the only reason I took them was that Lunar's fails in the "english thats understandable" department.
I took Naisho/TW over Keep/ANBU originally because Keep's translator was being lazy and coming up with all kinds of "partial" translations for the hard to understand lines.

Bleach-society's translation was mediocre at best, truely the definition of a speed-sub.
Dattebayo got the main dialogue, but had no idea on any of the special moves. (They should have a clue by now.)
Old 2005-12-23, 10:55   Link #73
Istan Bravo
rein meister

For me is Anime-Keep. My first language is not English, so I prefer their formal English translation. I love their encode and presentation. The downside is their speed. Waiting for only 1 episode release really takes forever
Old 2005-12-23, 21:32   Link #74
Cyz
"Show it to me"

To be honest, I don't mind at all. Bleach Society and Lunar are good with the subbing...but the sizes are too big. You can only fit 3 episode in one disc. Dattebayo on the other hand, despite on some grammar problems, you can fit 4 episodes in one disc because of small sizes than Bleach Society and Lunar.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2005-12-23, 21:36   Link #75
ranchan13

Dattebayo to see it first, Lunar to collect. Dattebayo is a good subbing group, but I think Lunar focuses on better accuracy of the lines.
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform
Old 2005-12-23, 21:39   Link #76
Friendless

Send a message via MSN to Friendless
Dattebayo for life.
Old 2005-12-23, 21:44   Link #77
ScytheBlade
Rawr!

Send a message via MSN to ScytheBlade
Bleach-Society: Some grammar mistakes, but translation is pretty good. The fastest subber out there so they deserve points for that. 4.5/5

Hell Fansubs: Definitely was THE fastest fansub out there. They have a lot of grammar errors but you can live with it. They rarely sub Bleach now. 3/5

Dattebayo: Never really watched it, but it seems pretty good because I watched it at my cousin's house. Almost no spelling errors and good translation. Also very fast. 4.5/5

Lunar Anime: Definitely the best sub out there in my opinion. Although they are slow they make very good quality subs and have very little, if any, spelling errors. People complain about the accuracy of the translations but I like it because it adds more of the "Bleach feel" to it. They made Gin really stand out on their translations.
5/5

This is based on MY opinion and it WILL differ from yours.

Altogether I usually download Bleach-Society subs first when they come out because I am a fan of theirs and then I download Lunar sub after they release it.
Old 2005-12-24, 13:34   Link #78
KanaKaishou

I'm like some of the others in this thread:

Datteboyo to watch.
Lunar to keep.
Old 2005-12-27, 22:12   Link #79
Aru
dead

Lunar is the best for Bleach! Might as well watch one of the speedsubs if I'm going for "the general meaning is understandable"-type of translations!
Old 2005-12-27, 23:23   Link #80
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
That's a tough question. Honestly many of the groups subbing Bleach have such different philosophies of subbing that it is mostly a matter of personal choice.
Not to mention each viewer's personal tastes as well. I mean, I don't think there can every truly be a "best" fansub for any series...unless only one group translates it even remotely properly, and all the other groups are way, way, way off. Personal preference rules the day, and preference is also the thing that leads people to label what is "best" and what they don't like.

Personally, as mentioned by others, I like Lunar. Like NSW, I do appreciate the way they make the lines seem less formal...and the way they treat Gin's lines is very interesting. I'll admit, it was difficult to wrap my mind around his lines once or twice (had to think for a moment), but it's done with a certain kind of genius that I do appreciate.

I've tried Hell Fansubs, Bleach-Society and Dattebayo before. H-F had so many spelling and grammar errors that I found it unbearable. Bleach-Society was good, but one of their episodes (I think 51 or something) seemed like it wasn't QC'd at all, and that really turned me off. Dattebayo does good work, but too many things slip by their QC team for my liking. That's why I went with Lunar. If Lunar ever stops (well...they probably will, as Bleach getting licensed is inevitable) and Keep/ANBU picks up the pace, I think I'd go with them (I may not have watched their releases of Bleach, but I've watched their other releases like FMA and enjoyed them very much). Dattebayo would probably be my choice after those two.
Closed Thread