AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-29, 18:33   Link #281
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I just can't stay mad at anyone played by Shinichiro Miki...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-04, 16:48   Link #282
Dop
Mmmm....

I have to say I've absolutely loved that whole 'summer beach' imagery which accompanies all Chizuru's interactions with Mary, and episode 10 was no different, as we see the follow-on from Chizuru's confession a few episodes ago....

I had been wondering if the show would follow the guys through to graduation, but with a year to go and only three more episodes (I think) I don't see that happening, as it would be an obvious end point.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-04, 18:38   Link #283
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It’s funny how in this non-romance slice-of-life, Chizuru’s courtship of a basically annoying tsuntsun girl has become easily the most compelling nugget of actual plot and character development, and one of the more endearing romantic subplots in anime for a while. Maybe it’s because it was rather unexpected overall, or maybe it’s just a lack of competition in the romance department (there’s some quality in anime romance at the moment, but not a lot of quantity) but more, it’s just Chizuru’s dogged, relentlessly cheerful pursuit despite the fact that Mary almost never throws him a bone. He just never gives up, this kid – but we’ve seen that before. What sells it for me is that Chizuru is always smiling and laughing with Masaki no matter how much she disses him, and always going out of his way to take care of her despite an almost complete lack of gratitude on her part.
Old 2012-06-05, 05:10   Link #284
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

It's a bittersweet follow-up of Chizuru's confession. I suppose if Mary is to fall straight for Chizuru without a lingering feeling for Shun, it will be unrealistic. At the very least, she now thinks of him more often. It's a good start.

On a side note, Kaname as a thug is hot >_______>

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-05, 20:47   Link #285
Ruby Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It’s funny how in this non-romance slice-of-life, Chizuru’s courtship of a basically annoying tsuntsun girl has become easily the most compelling nugget of actual plot and character development, and one of the more endearing romantic subplots in anime for a while. Maybe it’s because it was rather unexpected overall, or maybe it’s just a lack of competition in the romance department (there’s some quality in anime romance at the moment, but not a lot of quantity) but more, it’s just Chizuru’s dogged, relentlessly cheerful pursuit despite the fact that Mary almost never throws him a bone. He just never gives up, this kid – but we’ve seen that before. What sells it for me is that Chizuru is always smiling and laughing with Masaki no matter how much she disses him, and always going out of his way to take care of her despite an almost complete lack of gratitude on her part.

You don't seem to like Mary, do you? I will take it upon myself to compose a list of Mary's good points:

I do agree with MUAHAHAHAHAHA, though, that Thug Kaname is hawt.
Ruby Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 17:17   Link #286
Utsuro no Hako

And Mary gets a reverse harem!

I will laugh so hard if she ends up with the manga club guy instead of Chizuru.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 17:30   Link #287
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

MatsushOta clearly dreams only of Yuuki. I'm fine with that, because it isn't treated with mockery or played for cheap laughs. I thought he might be joining Mary-saki's harem too at first, but they just share the common perspective of two kids crushing on their sempai.

In other news, Yuta didn't seem to mind when Kanami patted his ass...
Old 2012-06-11, 18:27   Link #288
LKK

I have mixed emotions after today's episode. I'm happy that Mary seems to be making some friends beyond the Our Gang members. But I'm not so happy about the seedlings of interest that Yuki's fan displayed. I'm rooting for Chizuru and Mary big time.

Once again, Yuta showed that he's the most mature of the five-some with his understanding and subtle encouragement of Mary.

Next week's episode looks interesting.
Spoiler for preview:

Edit: Sorry, Enzo, but I think you're underestimating his interest in Mary. He was really struck by her when he saw in the referee's chair IMO.

Speaking of the tennis match, I have a question. How is "light tennis" different from tennis? I've never heard the term before.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Last edited by LKK; 2012-06-11 at 18:30. Reason: added stuff
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 18:38   Link #289
Excorsism

I can't be the only who was disappointed by the small cameos of Takahashi Rina with the cat. Was hoping for more interaction with her and Yuuta.
Old 2012-06-11, 19:00   Link #290
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I feel pretty comfortable with my read on it, LKK. Imaging Yuuki playing volleyball and blushing is the much bigger tell.
Old 2012-06-11, 19:11   Link #291
LKK

Quote:
I feel pretty comfortable with my read on it, LKK. Imaging Yuuki playing volleyball and blushing is the much bigger tell.
True for now. But his Yuuki hero-worship is nothing new. I think his stunned reaction to referee Mary is the harbinger of bigger emotions to come.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2012-06-11, 20:07   Link #292
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I would have said "bemused" more than stunned. The theme of the episode was Mary-saki making friends, and I think that's just the two of them making friends with each other. And they can bond by swooning over a member of the main quartet.
Old 2012-06-11, 21:09   Link #293
LKK

Unfortunately, it's highly unlikely the anime will show us a resolution to our debate. To be honest, I would like you to be right. Chizuru has enough competition for Mary from the unknowing Shun. He doesn't need a second competitor who's actually competing against him.*

*Sailing away on the good ship Mary Chizuru.

Old 2012-06-12, 03:47   Link #294
Sides

Really like this episode, not only because Masaki being more or less the central figure this week, but also that her upper class friends do show concern for her. Or maybe it is Yuta showing his big brother traits
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 04:13   Link #295
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

I really like Yuuta in this episode. He's like this silent but caring onii-chan who guides you discretely and protecting you in the shadows. Out of the 5, Yuuta seems to be the most insightful and mature. Shun is quite mature, but he is incredibly naive, and though Kaname displays occasional wisdom, it's often clouded by his temper. Chizuru and Yuuki are, well, they have quite a long way to go.

And I'm honestly happy for Mary. I am glad that she's making friends. I am a bit in the grey area concerning her relationship with manga guy, but it does seem to me that they seem to be playmates rather than potential lovers.
Old 2012-06-18, 15:57   Link #296
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

I love this episode. Kimi to Boku has time and again impressed me with the romance aspect. Beyond the basic idea of 5 friends and their bromance relationship, it has a surprisingly complex romance plot. Mary likes Shun but Shun is not aware, Chizuru has feelings for that has yet to be returned and Mary may or may not have found a new love in last week's episode. Hisako likes Kaname but the one he likes is Shizu-nee who happens to be her sister.I like how this rather complicated romance plot is not rushed, over-exaggerated or dramatic, and the lovely background song that accompanies it.

Poor Kaname, he has it even worse than Chizuru. He has liked his neighbour from young. Unrequited love is painful, and that pain is made worse when the person you like tells you (and rather casually too!) that she is getting married. I wonder if Kaname's mum is aware of his crush on his neighbour, cause with her bubbly personality, it's likely that she would have told Kaname. It just doesn't seem to fit with her character, "forgetting" to tell Kaname. She's the type of mum who enjoys sharing everything with her son, so I am wondering if she is trying to protect Kaname in a way. I also wonder if Yuuta knows about it, since Yuuta is the sharpest of the 5 and has been together with Kaname from young. I hope with Shizu-nee's impending marriage, Hisako will have a chance with Kaname. They suit each other really well;I have always been a sucker for love-hate relationship. On a side note, I suppose Kaname should thank his neighbour for his academic performance. After all, it's her who spurs him to always do his best.

I think choosing Mamiko Noto to play the role of Shizu-nee is an excellent choice. Her soft and gentle voice truly befits the character. I even watched some parts again just to listen to her voice.

Anyway, this second season IMO is much better than the first season because it has much more development, especially in the romance department. But I suppose one could argue that the first season does not have much development because the stage has to be set for the second season.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help

Last edited by MUAHAHAHAHAHA; 2012-06-18 at 16:07.
Old 2012-06-18, 18:55   Link #297
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
i think Kaname should be a lead in a harem series, the ep's title "stripped bare" is an icing on the cake
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 20:16   Link #298
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

When the 25 year-old neighbor is the most realistic crush you've had, it's time for Kaname to seriously reassess his standards.
Old 2012-06-18, 20:30   Link #299
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
When the 25 year-old neighbor is the most realistic crush you've had, it's time for Kaname to seriously reassess his standards.
Yeah, he should stop messing around with such young women.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 00:11   Link #300
G.o.S
~desu♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Speaking of the tennis match, I have a question. How is "light tennis" different from tennis? I've never heard the term before.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=12115
Got the right show for you

Tags
j.c. staff, shounen, slice of life