AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-07-31, 15:01   Link #281
Spartanz1170

Poor South Korea, they almost had the gold in fencing but due to an error on the clock, she didn't get the gold and had to wait on the bench for 15 minutes to hear an appeal made by her to be denied.... oh man the calls all the blown calls
Spartanz1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 15:11   Link #282
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
And go Kazakhstan for their perfect 3-0-0 lol xD and the fact they have half of Canada's population just makes me Q__Q

France vs Canada tennis game breaks record for longest tennis game.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4452178/
Well he gets to go down in style. Just like that girl that tied for swimming qualifiers and then lost the rematch.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 15:23   Link #283
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Almost moment of truth for Phelps, He has to get a medal in all his remaining events (Relay and something else) to be the most medal-winning athlete in Olympics right? Or did he lose that chance already?

How come Shiwen from China didn't even compete in the heats for 200m freestyle? Her freestyle seems obviously the strongest than Medley which she is competing in, an hour after.

*UPDATE:
Silver for Phelps. 5ms behind Gold. Sad it's not gold but he's just 1 USA relay away from 18 medals~
NBC reports that Phelps has his 19th already? Apparently the silver in the 200 fly was his 18th?

Well, if it was his 19th medal, that means he's become the most decorated olympian in history.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blog...butterfly.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
I dare you to find her. Then ask her out. XD
Too late I just graduated this year
Old 2012-07-31, 15:33   Link #284
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanz1170 View Post
Poor South Korea, they almost had the gold in fencing but due to an error on the clock, she didn't get the gold and had to wait on the bench for 15 minutes to hear an appeal made by her to be denied.... oh man the calls all the blown calls
That was in the semi-finals and she waited for a whole hour. When she finally was forced to leave, the audience chanted "stay ! stay ! stay !"

She came back for the bronze medal, but even with the crowd cheers, she lost to China Sun Yujie
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 16:01   Link #285
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Am not expecting my countrymen in the Philippine team to win a medal or two, though the boxer did win one round.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 16:01   Link #286
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Spoiler for Women's Gymnastics...just in case spoiler tag:
Spoiler for Response:

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 16:06   Link #287
Athena
The Power of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
And go Kazakhstan for their perfect 3-0-0 lol xD and the fact they have half of Canada's population just makes me Q__Q

France vs Canada tennis game breaks record for longest tennis game.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4452178/
Well he gets to go down in style. Just like that girl that tied for swimming qualifiers and then lost the rematch.
Shame that Raonic didn't advance, though Tsonga has more experience and is currently the better player of the two.

EDIT: Watching Canada vs. Russia women volleyball.
Old 2012-07-31, 16:27   Link #288
Kyuu
=^^=

After 4 days... the pace of one-medal per day for Britain resumes. And still no golds.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 16:31   Link #289
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Big shout out to Ireland's Annelise Murphy in Sailing, she's come in first in all 4 of her first races (out of 10 total), she's very well placed to take gold.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 16:58   Link #290
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
(This applies to the last several years, too) Does anyone suspect that China isn't just raking in medals solely because they have good athletes but also because some government officials really put the pressure on them? Almost like, "do good or you'll be sorry"? Is it wrong to suspect that? I mean, I know prestige is really important to China and the Chinese gov't would pressure people for their image. I don't want to offend anyone and the athletes are talented, but has anyone ever thought that could be a possibility? Like, their athletes would be practicing extra hard because their stakes are even higher. I'm really not trying to offend anyone, it is just that, I've seen people discuss that possibility back in the Beijing Olympics, and it made me wonder, what if that were the case with things behind the scenes?

Something that kind of lends to this suspicion; look at Beijing 2008 with the questionably aged athletes for some events. There is an age requirement of 16 or over, and some Chinese athletes (women's gymnastics) at Beijing definitely didn't look as old as 16, or 15 for that matter.
while i suspect there is some pressure, China is not North Korea, losing out on a Medal isn't going to get them sent to the Mines. I think there is more financial inducement/pressure then threat of punishment pressure. They are probably promise all sort of goodies if they come back with a Medal (Especially Gold) and the fact a majority of these athletes don't have any marketable skills outside of their specialty. The financial rewards of a Medal more then outweigh any threat of losing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanz1170 View Post
what happen with the clock?
Old 2012-07-31, 17:21   Link #291
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
what happen with the clock?
The referee let it run overtime (basically, reset the clock so 0.5 second was 1 second or something like that) thus giving the German opponent the time to get one strike in.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 18:31   Link #292
solomon

What do you guys think of the controversy surrounding gold medal winning swimmer Shiwen Ye
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 18:35   Link #293
Sumeragi
Banned

Time will tell.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 18:44   Link #294
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Well I posted earlier, I had the same suspicion everyone else had. I mean her race as a random spectator seemed ridiculous. But after several officials from different groups already confirmed that she passed all the drug tests and that she was previously training in Australia and the people there also confirmed she was never involved before. I'd say it's better to just accept it as a feat of physical talent. You can speculate all you want about incompetent testing but that speculation could go on forever.

On another note, her medley 200 IM and past performances all shown her insanely fast Freestyle. In both medleys, she wasn't #1 at all in the other 3 strokes. But as soon as she switches to freestyle, she comes out way ahead. It's not absolutely convincing but still convincing that she's just really good at one particular thing and not-shabby in others.

And the leap from lower personal record to a sudden over achievement has also been displayed by other Olympic swimmers in the past.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 18:44   Link #295
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
What do you guys think of the controversy surrounding gold medal winning swimmer Shiwen Ye
They said the same about Phelps and Bolt. This will not be the last we see of such finger pointing antics. Sour Grapes much ?
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 18:53   Link #296
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

1. IOC has confirm she has pass all current test

2. The IOC keep samples for 8 years. Even if she is taking a drug that that is not currently detectable, it will come out eventually.

The US coach needs to shut his mouth, currently he just makes the US look petty.
Old 2012-07-31, 18:54   Link #297
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Indeed, personally I'm leaning towards sour grapes, the girl is simply talented. Also, the girl is only 16, it's fine to have reservations about her performance, but other athletes/coaches should keep it private unless the authorities discover something suspicious. It's fine for them to go to the authorities in private, but airing it in public just shows poor sportsmanship.

What I don't understand is that if her Freestyle is so strong, why is she only competing in the Medley?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 18:55   Link #298
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, US coach == full of shit basically. He just encountered something amazing and is in denial. I'd probably ask for verification as well.. but to go on and on like this is just childish.
Old 2012-07-31, 19:04   Link #299
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

This may perhaps explain how China keeps pumping out Athletes the likes of Ye :-

http://www.chinasmack.com/2012/pictu...at-dreams.html

I also recall watching a more in depth British documentary about that some years back in the wake of Beijing 2008.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 19:12   Link #300
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I find the issue somewhat funny considering one of the objections was the fact that her last 50 was faster than Lochte's, who's proven to be a dud after winning the 400 IM

I certainly thinking winning even one gold is impressive enough, but if someone is going to market themselves as the next Michael Phelps and equate what he's going to do at the London games to what Phelps did in Beijing, not to mention do tons of interviews and photo shoots, well he better back all that talk up, and Lochte hasn't done it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Yeah, US coach == full of shit basically. He just encountered something amazing and is in denial. I'd probably ask for verification as well.. but to go on and on like this is just childish.
Yeah I don't get why he had to announce to the world his suspicion of Ye Shiwen when he could've just discreetly consulted the Olympic committee about this.

Tags
olympics