AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-01-03, 16:26   Link #81
DaFool
Resident devil

Sometimes even the genre may not be enough to tell if it fits with tastes.

Harutoki, Meinen Leibe, Loveless, Fate Stay Night, Demonbane also fall under the ero-game based anime category (the first 3 were bishounen games, not bishoujo games). Heck many bishoujo games are no longer about romance, lol.

Many people equate seinen with moe~. Seinen can be just anything. Full Metal Panic, Shakugan no Shana, Mushishi, Ah! My Goddess, Aria are seinen, however FMP is often classified as action, Shana as loli action, Mushishi (heh, that's special, but often classified as slice-of-life / historical), Ah! My Goddess as shounen romance, Aria as slice-of-life.

I believe there are more categories and subgenres within anime than with live-action. It isn't just shoujo and shounen anymore.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 16:29   Link #82
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

I tend not to trust numerical ratings for two reasons:

Firstly, people tend to go to the extremes with ratings - either 10, 1/2, or 5 (if you're lucky).

Secondly, a rating tells you nothing about a show.

If I want a recommendation, I'll read a review or ask here

On a side note, in my personal #10, KgNE is most definitely #1, followed by NGE, and then AIR TV.
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 23:47   Link #83
alphabetsoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
Sometimes even the genre may not be enough to tell if it fits with tastes.

Harutoki, Meinen Leibe, Loveless, Fate Stay Night, Demonbane also fall under the ero-game based anime category (the first 3 were bishounen games, not bishoujo games). Heck many bishoujo games are no longer about romance, lol.
That's incorrect. Loveless was a manga by Kouga Yun first, then an anime. No game was ever made, aside from the cellphone game they made a few months ago. ^^;
alphabetsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 22:52   Link #84
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I just think the whole thing is stupid. Who can say that top anime is the best.

90% of the reviews are plain crap!

People can change the rating by making fake accounts, crappy reviews and so on. Then it becomes a game. I also can't stand the wieners who run the place.

KGNE is by far not anywhere near my top 50 let alone 10.

maybe it is helpful to some people but not to me no way.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 19:32   Link #85
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

eh like half the anime doesn't even belong in the top 200. the top 200 is comprimsed of ilke overrated ones I guess since it's about how many people seen/review it

This site's nice to use if you read like a review from someone who despises whatever anime and someone who explains thouroughly why they love it so much to decide if you wanna check it out or not and of course there is the chance of being spoiled.
Old 2007-04-15, 19:41   Link #86
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Let's not forget the people who give His and Her Circumstances a "10" in animation when it's one of the most poorly animated anime I have seen out there.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 06:37   Link #87
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

For any review I really need to see the detailed thoughts of reviewers. Random numbers mean diddly squat. Who put those numbers in? Could've been a bot or some obsessed fanboi of a rival series

eg something along these lines came up recently (I've edited so the poster doesn't get offended)

"the worst anime that i've seen is probably macross plus...
i didn't enjoy it that much..the drawings were not that good.."

I'm a Macross fan and I consider myself to be quite tolerant. I can hack most criticisms of Macross if they are detailed. Now by seeing something like a detailed opinion unlike the one above can dismiss opinions quite easily. Boring? Maybe. But to say it had crappy art is silly, what is he or she comparing it to? a Picasso? a Monet?. The review comes from someone who is either not interested in mecha/sci fi series or the macross franchise. Now I can sit here and blast shows like scryed, DBZ, Naruto etc etc but my opinions don't mean squat because I instantly almost hate all pure shonen/shoujo titles. My bias is there for everyone to see. I'm instantly looking for the crap bits. It's not a review worth reading because I'll give it a 5 and under almost instantly.

And personally I would never write a review completely rubbishing an anime. It had to have done something right to let me sit all the way through it, otherwise I would've just switched it off. If it makes laugh once in a 3 hr ova I'll make sure I mention that it had some funny moments. eg I hate Gundam Seed Destiny(scene reuse, excess recaps, characters won't stay dead) but the mecha designs are brilliant.

There's a lot of reviews that say this

"Love this show, just awesome, pretty and I love the characters"

WTF? Yeah you love it but could you be any vaguer? GTFO don't waste my bandwidth. seriously if animesuki ever does a review page there should be a minimum word limit for reviews. 300 words at least, and either just a positive or negative response instead of numbers. To weed out serious reviewers as opposed to wankers padding stats.

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2007-04-16 at 10:48. Reason: had to change like to unlike or else I don;t make sense
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 09:55   Link #88
Js2756
Thread Killer

There are huge issues with animenfo's review system, but before I get into it, I would like a justification as to why it's top 100 list is not "accurate". It is obviously a top 100 list using animenfo's own algorithm based on reviews of its own site. So yes, based off of the methodology used to generate the list, it is indeed accurate. Just because it doesn't line up with your tastes, and has issues with skewing towards newer shows, does not make it inaccurate. Ironically, I have argued that it is unfair to older shows on their boards to no avail.

Issues:
1) Most reviews are rated to fit within animenfo's review structure, as in, people will artificially rank a particular aspect of a show 10, just to maintain a high score, instead of defaulting to ignore that aspect of a show.

2) Reviews are not heavily moderated. As long as your review has over approximately one line of body, it'll probably be retained.

3) The majority of people who actually review are usually on the extremes, so reviews tend towards 10s or 1s.

4) Most people are entirely way too generous with regards to their ratings.

5) There are more people who review on the high side than the low side. Personally, I find the reviews that bash a show generally more informative than those that don't.

6) Most reviewers don't stick to a personally standard with which to review anime.

7) Most reviewers are too lazy to explain why they like or dislike stuff.

8) A lot of reviews are only there to boost top 200 ratings.

I'd like to see animenfo borrow from anidb, where there are peer reviews of reviews, so if your review sucks, people will rate it appropriately. Consequently, there are significantly less reviews there than on animenfo.
Old 2007-05-31, 15:18   Link #89
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

I also notice viewers who tend to be only familiar with new ones just give 'em all like 10's while others have seen some good 90s animes rate them pretty justly ( not 10's around like 7-8s).

Fanboy/girl behavior is just more prevalent for the newer ones so I guses it's another bias.
Old 2007-12-17, 09:41   Link #90
bigsocce

Animenfo is no longer 'relevant'

2-3 years ago, animenfo was the 'it' site to find new anime to watch. I remember checking out the top 200 anime and see what anime on that list I haven't watch.

However, the last 2 years, it has become a joke because reviews are deleted left and right. As a result, more and more people migrate to other websites and fewer people write reviews anymore.

For the year 2006, only 2-3 anime makes it to the top 200 anime list.

For the year 2007, none.

Even Code Geass isn't among the top 200 anime list.

-----------
okay, rant is over.

Disagree? Agree?
bigsocce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-17, 09:55   Link #91
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsocce View Post
2-3 years ago, animenfo was the 'it' site to find new anime to watch. I remember checking out the top 200 anime and see what anime on that list I haven't watch.

However, the last 2 years, it has become a joke because reviews are deleted left and right. As a result, more and more people migrate to other websites and fewer people write reviews anymore.

For the year 2006, only 2-3 anime makes it to the top 200 anime list.

For the year 2007, none.

Even Code Geass isn't among the top 200 anime list.

-----------
okay, rant is over.

Disagree? Agree?
That site was never relevent. It always sucked, as reviews were usually written by either fanboys giving the series a perfect 10 or haters giving the series a 1. Maybe 5% of the reviews even made an attempt at objectivity. If they started moderating those fanboy reviews, leaving only the more objective ones, it can only be an improvement. Now if they're just doing it to new series and not cleaning up the ones they already have, it will skew the ratings more towards the older series, but that's not a huge issue. Just consider them unreliable for all series prior to enacting this new policy and ignore their top 200 list.
Old 2007-12-17, 09:56   Link #92
Mistacloudstrife
"I'll cut them off..."

I always avoided animenfo. I usually just read a summary or anime blog to see if it sparks my interests. Or maybe try out a few episodes of random animes I've never heard of before. Or even come over here to animesuki and check out which animes have the highest dl/ul stats. If it's popular, it should be worth checking out. =P
Old 2007-12-17, 09:56   Link #93
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

i kinda of have to agree with what your saying with animeinfo but like you said people have been migrating to other sites and I was one of them.

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-17, 10:02   Link #94
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Yeah, I've noticed the exact same problem. Kenshin and Kiminozo have dominated the rankings ever since my first visit to the site about 3 years ago. Back then, there were reviews added every week, even to older series like Love Hina and Evangelion. Now, the newer series have reviews every month at best.

It used to be a great site due to the ranking system and that's what made it popular, but the cut-throat rankings probably cut short the life-span of the site.

Case and Point: My first visit to Evangelion's Review Section
I think we can all agree that this is a love or hate series. It's just that controversial. Most of us love it, some hate it to death. However, what I saw were extremely polarized rankings. Most (70%) gave it straight 10's, while virtually all others rate it below 5, sometimes with straight ones.

It was basically all about using these to slightly shift the average to slightly increase or decrease the rankings. The users themselves even admit in the review that they didn't think it deserved all 10s.

Not only does this render the rankings useless in terms of objectivity, it's also extremely annoying. When Eva was given a 1, you can see the fanboys creating new accounts and rating 10 to compensate.
Old 2007-12-17, 11:02   Link #95
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The "fanboy" factor makes most of these sorts of reviews impossible to take seriously -- it even corrupts some of the discussion here at AS. I've *never* found the animefo site useful for rating anything as it was always obviously just a "phanboi warzone" -- mostly just to research the existence or some minor information of anime when the other sites don't cough up. Then again, I've stopped using ANN as well for related reasons: either the information isn't useful or the information is so biased as to be not useful.