AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-12-24, 04:00   Link #1
Crowley
A-Kraze QCer

Episode 34 - At the End of the Darkness

About time that damn whore got it.... Nice to see Roberto doing what he does again.
Maybe those quotes will satisfy avmoghe about Richard's death.
Old 2004-12-24, 15:11   Link #2
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley
About time that damn whore got it.... Nice to see Roberto doing what he does again.
Maybe those quotes will satisfy avmoghe about Richard's death.
Damn whore! You mean Temma's...! Noooo she was my favorite character in the series!
Old 2004-12-24, 17:07   Link #3
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
Damn whore! You mean Temma's...! Noooo she was my favorite character in the series!
I assume he's referring to the grotesquely fat old woman that blackmailed Mr. Rich Guy Whose Name I Can't Spell, claiming to be the mother of his child. You know--the literal whore.
Old 2004-12-24, 17:26   Link #4
hitokirigirl
Japanestyle

man, i'm getting tired of that nazi speeches.........if they only could put all political/historical stuff aside.......
Old 2004-12-24, 18:41   Link #5
grfd567

Hahaha It was funny how that whore died though, but I was expecting it to be more...errr..i don't know...seeing Johan there and all, I thought....ah well nevermind what I expected, at least she's dead hahaha.

And as they kill one, another one appears no? hahaha...but I'm wondering if this new doctor lady was shown only in this episode, or if she's also gonna get entangled in the Mess that is MONSTER hahaha...It wouldn't be bad, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 2004-12-24, 22:00   Link #6
Crowley
A-Kraze QCer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitokirigirl
man, i'm getting tired of that nazi speeches.........if they only could put all political/historical stuff aside.......
Are you refering to the single neo-nazi reference?
Why would you want them to remove part of the series? Not politically correct enough for you?
Old 2004-12-24, 23:34   Link #7
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Johan was pretty awesome in this episode. His character seems to be showing more complexity as of late.
Old 2004-12-25, 00:26   Link #8
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Johan is always awesome LOL.

Ya that fat woman finally died...she would have died of cancer some time anyway LMAO
Old 2004-12-25, 04:37   Link #9
hitokirigirl
Japanestyle

Quote:
Are you refering to the single neo-nazi reference?
Why would you want them to remove part of the series? Not politically correct enough for you?
that's not the point. i just don't want to hear that in each episode, that's all.
we have enough stories about 2WW, it would be just fine to come back to Johan's story and how Tenma wil deal with him......

by the way, it's not the single one.......that old man in the forest also.
and in some eps before if i'm correct.
Old 2004-12-25, 07:22   Link #10
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Even with all the airtime Johan's been getting, he still remains an enigma. For some reason he suddenly gives up on Schuwald, and he knows Tenma is planning to assassinate him and seemingly does nothing to stop it. Perhaps he has simply grown tired of the first game, and sees Tenma's plans as yet another game or experiment - that's how he explained it towards the kids. And what the hell was in that picture book that freaked him out so badly? (yeah yeah, too lazy to post seperately in last episode's post :P)

As for Roberto, I wasn't too surprised to see him show up. Any reference to a big guy so far seems to indicate him, and we already knew the 'Red Hindenburg' had been taken away by a big guy a few episodes ago (I thought he had killed her already, tbh). What I am confused about is his exact relation to Johan. Johan didn't seem surprised to see him there, but I'm not sure if he is doing what Johan wants or is just doing things on his own to assist Johan. Somehow I don't think Johan would have been pleased if Roberto had actually killed his sister.
Old 2004-12-25, 08:24   Link #11
hitokirigirl
Japanestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax
Even with all the airtime Johan's been getting, he still remains an enigma. For some reason he suddenly gives up on Schuwald, and he knows Tenma is planning to assassinate him and seemingly does nothing to stop it. Perhaps he has simply grown tired of the first game, and sees Tenma's plans as yet another game or experiment - that's how he explained it towards the kids. And what the hell was in that picture book that freaked him out so badly? (yeah yeah, too lazy to post seperately in last episode's post :P)

As for Roberto, I wasn't too surprised to see him show up. Any reference to a big guy so far seems to indicate him, and we already knew the 'Red Hindenburg' had been taken away by a big guy a few episodes ago (I thought he had killed her already, tbh). What I am confused about is his exact relation to Johan. Johan didn't seem surprised to see him there, but I'm not sure if he is doing what Johan wants or is just doing things on his own to assist Johan. Somehow I don't think Johan would have been pleased if Roberto had actually killed his sister.
hmm i really think roberto work for Johan......i remember that eps in the mansion (that guy, his wife and the child). if 'im correct roberto said something like he works on johan's orders, he will follow him blablabla. i don't remember exactly though.

i also wonder what's in that book. at the beginning, when we see Lotte, i thought she would investigate it, but the eps turned out to be the Margot Langer case.

i hope we will find out about that book in the next eps ^^
Old 2004-12-25, 14:07   Link #12
Crowley
A-Kraze QCer

Quote:
that's not the point. i just don't want to hear that in each episode, that's all.
we have enough stories about 2WW, it would be just fine to come back to Johan's story and how Tenma wil deal with him......

by the way, it's not the single one.......that old man in the forest also.
and in some eps before if i'm correct.
That's the only neo-nazi reference in this episode.
Have you considered perhaps that there might be a reason for the story to be set in Germany, that maybe some of these references weren't thrown in just for the hell of it? It's not necessary just "Johan's story and how Tenma wil deal with him". I'd have stopped watching long ago if it was just that.
Old 2004-12-25, 17:25   Link #13
hitokirigirl
Japanestyle

Quote:
That's the only neo-nazi reference in this episode.
Have you considered perhaps that there might be a reason for the story to be set in Germany, that maybe some of these references weren't thrown in just for the hell of it? It's not necessary just "Johan's story and how Tenma wil deal with him". I'd have stopped watching long ago if it was just that.
sorry but no, i never thought that setting the story in germany would necessarily mean that we will talk about nazis and co, perhaps you are always relating that country to that part of history ?

and i would not have stopped watching it if it was just that, ne ? think what you want, and i will do the same......without that kind of lame comments please.

end of discussion
Old 2004-12-26, 01:54   Link #14
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
sorry but no, i never thought that setting the story in germany would necessarily mean that we will talk about nazis and co, perhaps you are always relating that country to that part of history ?

and i would not have stopped watching it if it was just that, ne ? think what you want, and i will do the same......without that kind of lame comments please.

end of discussion
That's not actually your call, and is just as if not a far lamer way to end a post.

Also, like it or not, the story is set in Germany in the mid-90's, not that long after the wall came down. The Nazi regime is a subject that preys on a lot of people's minds in that particular setting, so it's going to come up every now and then. You may as well set a story in modern day Iraq, Iran, Korea, or Haiti and try to avoid any mention of American involvement and related terrorism. These things are relevant, and so they will be discussed.

Of course, it's also relevant to the story, too. It's already been revealed that former Nazis played a part in Johan's background. Learning the manner and extent to which their actions affected the boy requires a certain amount of establishment and revelation of facts about the history of those people.
Old 2004-12-26, 05:46   Link #15
Crowley
A-Kraze QCer

Quote:
It's not that I'm "always relating that country to that part of history", it's that the country has a history and history is always relevant.
If this story were just Johan vs Tenma there would be no reason to set it in Germany. If that was the story then it could be Jiro vs Tenma, and in Japan. The writer knows Japan, he knows Japanese customs, it'd be much easier to set the story in Japan. But he didn't; Urasawa chose Germany. I haven't asked him why he chose Germany, but based on how he has involved historical information from Germany into the story it's safe to say that he chose it because Germany has this complicated and interesting history. The fact is, if the story wasn't set in Germany we wouldn't have Monster as we know it; Johan would never have been created.
Quote:
I wouldn't have stopped, if I wasn't obligated I wouln't have started. The very fact that Urasawa chose to challenge himself by setting the story in a foreign country is probably the main thing that got me interested. It's part of what keeps it interesting. Setting the story in a country with such a rich culture and history, and doing it properly, makes the story much so much richer and entertaining.
I'm not dictating why you should be watching the show, but if it was not set in Germany and didn't involve the history I can guarantee that the story would be less real, and probably less interesting to most viewers.
Old 2004-12-26, 19:49   Link #16
f00l

interesting so it seems roberto works for johan.....

i always thought he was working for some other party that is interested in johan and that he was just making sure johan name was not known
Old 2005-12-27, 05:13   Link #17
Takisho

Send a message via MSN to Takisho
Everyone works for Johan. EVERYONE!!!!

BTW is Johan german for John? Cause i think I saw Saint Johanns Apocalypse or something
Old 2006-01-04, 10:42   Link #18
Peare

Why is this old episode stickied and will new episodes ever be subbed?
Old 2006-01-05, 21:53   Link #19
Johan_the_Monster

1st Question: I'm not sure why Ep. 34 is pinned. I know half the data they had is gone and I guess no one wants to open a new topic for the more current episodes, and...

2nd Question: Of course new episodes will be subbed! There are only 7 episodes left! Give people patience. They have lives you know...
Closed Thread