AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-01-03, 09:51   Link #341
NeonShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Fire
I own both DS and PSP and the DS is really inovative and has pretty good games to boot as the PSP has nice games an mp3 and video player and for those with wireless internet and internet browser. Now anyone who says the DS is better than the PSP is probly a Nintendo fan to start with or dosen't own a PSP cause I for a while was saying how much better the DS was than the PSP and then I bout one and I was like holy crap I love this thing. Sure the battery is gonna run out in 4 hours but thats no prob unless you dont have a charger. The olny thing that I really hate about my PSP is the prices of the games and memory cards other than that it's a really good system.
I do have a friend who was obsessed with his PSP. Thinking it was all great and what not. He just mostly used it for anime and emulation. Not really what Sony intended, but was being used. I got my DS and he saw how much fun I was having with it, and himself being bored of his PSP. So he sold his PSP, got a DS, a few games, and now we are both having even more fun.

I am not of fan of both companys or others for that matter. I just follow the games. First, yeah I grew up with Nintendo like most of us, And came into the world of RPGs. Then the Playstation and N64 came out. I let the N64 and the Playstation be out for a while to make my decision. It was the Playstation becuase of all the past RPGs that got released for it. So I stuck with that... then PS2 with even more RPGs (Most being horrible). And now.. with the hand helds. Its where the games shine again. The DS getting a good RPG line up in the future, with most of the games already released being really fun.

So I just basically go where the games go, not the companys. Now Im considering the Revolution for the price, games, innovation (who doesnt like a new experience), to be able to play past Nintendo and Sega games. And I bet im missing something here.
NeonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 12:43   Link #342
Fox Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappster
Or maybe they just prefer the games available on the DS compared to those available on the PSP. I have both and from a games playing perspective(the main reason I got both) I would say at this moment in time that I prefer the DS.
Well it really is just a matter of opinion. If it wasn't for the music player and video player i'd like them equaly.
Fox Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 12:49   Link #343
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
I was originally raised on Nintendo but because of the last few systems that they have released being flops in my book, they have lost my buisness...I just think the PSP is overall better in another way, because they have such a large selection of genres that they like to fill, unlike Nintendo who likes to make puzzle, and preschool games.
Old 2006-01-03, 14:40   Link #344
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiju32
I just think the PSP is overall better in another way, because they have such a large selection of genres that they like to fill, unlike Nintendo who likes to make puzzle, and preschool games.
I find that somewhat offensive. Practically every game out there, regardless of system, is a puzzle in it's own right, and Metroid is certaintly not a preschool game. Advance Wars isn't either, and I'm not going to go into all the other games out there, but consider this one thing: Puzzle and preschool games have graced all consoles out there, whether you like it or not.
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 15:11   Link #345
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Fire
Well it really is just a matter of opinion. If it wasn't for the music player and video player i'd like them equaly.
That was my point. You made it sound as if the only way anyone could think the DS was better than the PSP was if they were either a nintendo fan or didn't have a PSP. I was merely pointing out that perhaps they just enjoyed the games more on the DS and so thought it was better than the PSP, which is as you said a matter of opinion.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 15:20   Link #346
ChainLegacy
廉頗

In a perfect world I could afford both systems, but this isn't a perfect world (that's why we have Walgreen's). I tend to like anything Nintendo, but to be honest DS has been kind of boring so far. I don't like the touch screen as much as I thought I would; I just can't find a practical gaming use for it. That being said, there are some good games, but not enough... Bring on the RPGs.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 03:00   Link #347
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
I just think the PSP is overall better in another way, because they have such a large selection of genres that they like to fill,
Anyone who has a bit of sense and has looked at both line-ups wouldn't make such an uninformed statement.

Quote:
unlike Nintendo who likes to make puzzle, and preschool games.
So we're back to the idiotic "LOLZ Nintendo's teh kiddeh!" argument, are we?

1) Games with the target audience being EVERY AGE do not equal being "preschool games". I seriously doubt you'll see college students and adults playing Mario Kart or Smash Brothers if it were otherwise so. I also laugh at the idea that the average preschooler can get through much less beat the Fire Emblem or F-Zero games.

2) Likes to make puzzles? Oh, come on. I'm hard pressed to think of any puzzle games Nintendo made for the Cube or the GBA, past or recent. As for the DS, while they've made more puzzles for it than their current system, the number of them still pales in comparison to the number of non-puzzle games that have been made or announced. Anyone who has actually checked the lists would know that. Nintendo over the years has made games in a variety of genres. There are few that they haven't at least made one game for.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 06:26   Link #348
MB™
Saizen encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy
In a perfect world I could afford both systems, but this isn't a perfect world (that's why we have Walgreen's). I tend to like anything Nintendo, but to be honest DS has been kind of boring so far. I don't like the touch screen as much as I thought I would; I just can't find a practical gaming use for it. That being said, there are some good games, but not enough... Bring on the RPGs.
*MB Brings On mario and Luigi: Partners in time*

Here's an RPG for U.
MB™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 19:02   Link #349
xxxplizit
triple-echhi

Send a message via AIM to xxxplizit Send a message via MSN to xxxplizit Send a message via Yahoo to xxxplizit
Quote:
unlike Nintendo who likes to make puzzle, and preschool games.
And now we are back to the reason why pop culture is either "stupid" or "ignorant" (or both in that matter). There are very few people who know their games like they should. Most are only there to buy a game cuz of the commercials, box cover, graphics, movies, and celebrity endorsements...rather than the game itself as a whole.

Just because a game rated "E" for "everyone" allows kids to play a game does NOT mean that it's a kid's game. This is the reason why many people are misunderstood.

But now, games aren't classified to such because you still see lil kids play GTA and Halo, even when they are classified to be "too young" to even play that game. Now does that make Halo and GTA a kiddy game? From your comment, it sounds so, so maybe I should buy my nephews those games for that matter.

= = =

Maybe if you said "Nintendo's strategy was to attract more younger audiences than the older ones", maybe it'll sound more constructive and less offensive.
Old 2006-01-04, 19:14   Link #350
Syn13
Sui Yein Ng 13

Quote:
...unlike Nintendo who likes to make puzzle, and preschool games.
I find that line funny since the current games I'm playing on PSP include Kollon(Ultimate Block Party), Puyo Puyo Fever, Bomberman Panic Bomber and Puzzle Bobble. Lumines seems to be one of PSP best game too and its a puzzle game.
Syn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-05, 04:36   Link #351
Yoska
フランキー

Nintendo's strategy to attract all ages leads their games to be on a bit easier side. So that even a kid can play. It's sad as a good portion of their customers are old school gamers who tends to like challenge. And do I wish they would make more puzzles and RPGs instead of bazillion Mario-goes-to-a-sport games? Mario just doesn't know how to party hard.

Puzzles may lack of mainstream appeal but if I take Lumines or Meteos and compare them to such a badly executed game such as any of 3D era GTA, uh, it's not even a question which one I would pick.
Yoska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-05, 04:52   Link #352
xxxplizit
triple-echhi

Send a message via AIM to xxxplizit Send a message via MSN to xxxplizit Send a message via Yahoo to xxxplizit
Too bad the number of hardcore gamers + "kid players" (what that one post portrays *ahem*) does not exceed that of the majority of players who are either next-gen players, casual gamers, or pop-culture reliant.

And I do agree on Lumines. That was the first game I got (and the only game). The game itself is so much fun and original...and it's NOT a 'shooting' game which seems mainstream now-a-days. Not that I hate mainstream, but it seems as if the 'mainstreamed' games seem too...alike...without anything new to it. GTA Liberty? It's basically the same thing as GTA3, just rewritten story. Twisted Metal for the PSP? Same thing as the PS counter parts. To be honest, I am not gonna waste money on a game that I already played or does not have any new and innovatine features.

And I do agree about the whole Mario-in-every-game concept. Though it was intentionally made to attract hardcore players, now isn't the time to be spending that much making Mario a celebrity because HE IS ONE from the start.
Old 2006-01-05, 06:02   Link #353
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxplizit
And I do agree about the whole Mario-in-every-game concept. Though it was intentionally made to attract hardcore players, now isn't the time to be spending that much making Mario a celebrity because HE IS ONE from the start.
Actually, Shigeru Miyamoto stated in an interview last year that it's because of that celebrity status that Mario's in a lot of games. He stated that since Mario's so recognizable and people will pick up a game with him in it (and I'd be inclined to agree on that point, considering the Mario Party series keeps selling well enough to keep making sequels), having him in a different genres will get people who've never played a game in that genre before to pick up and try it, and eventually play more, non-Mario games in that genre. Now if I can only find the link to that interview. . .I think the site was endgadget or something like that.
Old 2006-01-05, 14:22   Link #354
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Cross
Actually, Shigeru Miyamoto stated in an interview last year that it's because of that celebrity status that Mario's in a lot of games. He stated that since Mario's so recognizable and people will pick up a game with him in it (and I'd be inclined to agree on that point, considering the Mario Party series keeps selling well enough to keep making sequels), having him in a different genres will get people who've never played a game in that genre before to pick up and try it, and eventually play more, non-Mario games in that genre. Now if I can only find the link to that interview. . .I think the site was endgadget or something like that.
That's understandable, and it's anice path Nintendo is taking. And I like it too, because I'm all about enjoying games, not beating it as fast as I can or what not

But....the PSP I bought for my older Brother arrived yesterday, and....wow, this thing looks sweet. I mean, it looks sweet. I feel so tempted to buy one for myself just because it looks so cool lol. But that's the sad thing, the games I enjoy are on the DS, so spending more than U.S. $250 just to look at something is....kinda weird lol. And, my brother has to spend so much for the necessities, like memory cards, protective cases, etc. I mean, I have just the DS, just like that with games of course. And I dropped it enough times to break 20 PSP's, and it's still going strong. I can only pray my bro's PSP will survive the perils of life, I even got service plans/part replacement for it too, so...
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-05, 15:13   Link #355
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron
That's understandable, and it's anice path Nintendo is taking. And I like it too, because I'm all about enjoying games, not beating it as fast as I can or what not

But....the PSP I bought for my older Brother arrived yesterday, and....wow, this thing looks sweet. I mean, it looks sweet. I feel so tempted to buy one for myself just because it looks so cool lol. But that's the sad thing, the games I enjoy are on the DS, so spending more than U.S. $250 just to look at something is....kinda weird lol. And, my brother has to spend so much for the necessities, like memory cards, protective cases, etc. I mean, I have just the DS, just like that with games of course. And I dropped it enough times to break 20 PSP's, and it's still going strong. I can only pray my bro's PSP will survive the perils of life, I even got service plans/part replacement for it too, so...
Surprisingly the PSP is pretty sturdy, well at least mine is. I've dropped mine about two or three times now and I'm not talking a little bounce I'm talking falling of a pretty high desk and bouncing on to a chair leg and then on to the ground. Luckily the screen didn't get hit but it still seems to be in working order. I haven't tried any games on it but for my usual PSP use of file transfer it's still working nicely. Then again I've never really had a problem with Sony products(they do seem to have a bad reputation with regards to build quality/durability), my PS2 which was bought about 2-3 years ago is still working fine.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-05, 15:46   Link #356
Syn13
Sui Yein Ng 13

You know what I really want on the PSP? A game like WarioWare thats fast, mindless and fun~
Ape Academy just isn't my cup of tea, the mini games are challenging though but I can't get past Senior Jr. level where I gotta make 3 lines. Also I guess its because I played the PAL version which would probably explain the strange "Ask Darwin" questions.
Syn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-05, 20:59   Link #357
Tommy
Mr. Prince

I broke down and bought a DS the other day... I'm pretty happy overall. Since it's backwards compatible with the GBA games, the game library blows the PSP's out of the water, unless you factor in modding the PSP to play roms. Bottom line for me though was the PSP is just too damn expensive, 250 bucks for a handheld is fucking ridiculous.

So far I bought
Mario Kart
Castlevania Dawn Of Sorrows
Meteos
And Final Fantasy 4 for GBA

All excellent games.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-05, 22:41   Link #358
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Holy Hell something really weired happend today, I was in school plaing Wario Ware Twisted and I do not know what happened but I started to hear the security gaurds walkie talkies on my DS and I could hear exactly what they were saying. I then swaped out the Warioware with other DS and GBA games and it did not work but when I tried Wario Ware again it worked again. I am preety sure WarioWare should not be able to do that unless it emits a freqency that is on the same ghz as the talkies. Well it is cool none the less I highly doubt the PSP can do that right now.
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 01:51   Link #359
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg
Holy Hell something really weired happend today, I was in school plaing Wario Ware Twisted and I do not know what happened but I started to hear the security gaurds walkie talkies on my DS and I could hear exactly what they were saying. I then swaped out the Warioware with other DS and GBA games and it did not work but when I tried Wario Ware again it worked again. I am preety sure WarioWare should not be able to do that unless it emits a freqency that is on the same ghz as the talkies. Well it is cool none the less I highly doubt the PSP can do that right now.
Interesting. It reminds me of that discovery back during the launch period that, using a TV with a rabbit-ear antenna, if your DS was touching the antenna and the TV was on a certain channel (I forget which though), you could get a very, very blurry black-and-white image of whatever was on the lower screen of your DS at the time. I tried it myself and it did work, but I could just barely see the Pictochat screen on the TV.
Old 2006-01-06, 02:58   Link #360
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg
Yes yes, we all want our handheld games to spy on surrounding walkie talkie conversations ^______________^
arias is offline   Reply With Quote