AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-12-26, 17:25   Link #1
Mavurik

Send a message via AIM to Mavurik Send a message via MSN to Mavurik
Best manga/anime combination?

Is Beck the best manga/anime combination or what? I've been reading the manga and I'm completely absorbed (couldn't stop reading so I stayed up til 9am and read 11 volumes), then I get to go and download it in anime form and it's done perfectly. The only other manga that got me this involved was I's. I think it's cool that the book gets you so involved even though you can't even hear the music, but then you're given a chance to hear some of the songs in the anime. A masterpiece.

So what do you think is the best manga/anime combination?
Old 2004-12-26, 18:04   Link #2
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Personally I think that Mai Hime is the best combination I've ever seen. The reason being is that both the anime and the manga have a completely different story and that both of these stories are well-written and highly entertaining. It's like getting two for the price of one. I haven't read Beck so I can't compare to what you said (watched the anime though, and I like it but I'm not completely absorbed into it). THere are, however, a couple people in the yanime IRC channel that persistently bug me and try to get me to translate it...
Old 2005-12-19, 13:20   Link #3
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I haven't read/seen enough to know what is the "best," but Beck was certainly great. I liked Honey & Clover even more. Both followed their mangas closely, but Honey & Clover was almost frame-by-frame and word-by-word. I could watch the raws and use the manga as Japanese subtitles. When the manga is great, that can work, though you'd think that since they are different media, different structures would work better.

I'm enjoying Suzuka, and it's close to the manga, just leaving out some things. Once I discoverd the anime, I also gobbled up the manga in a short time.

Paradise Kiss is also good, but kind of rushed since it does five volumes in 12 episodes, whereas H&C did seven in 26. Yazawa Ai was the mangaka of PK, Kobayashi Osamu is the director (he also did Beck). Kobayashi does some wild visual things that are different from the manga and that people in the PK thread either love or hate.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2005-12-20, 05:37   Link #4
Dark Lord Zenigame
ロリコン

Send a message via AIM to Dark Lord Zenigame
Hunter x Hunter had the best conversion that I've seen. Nothing conflicts with the manga, and the little filler that exists is as well-done as everything else.
Old 2005-12-20, 09:29   Link #5
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan

Hajime no ippo definatly
Old 2005-12-26, 04:46   Link #6
EricMontreal22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
Paradise Kiss is also good, but kind of rushed since it does five volumes in 12 episodes, whereas H&C did seven in 26. Yazawa Ai was the mangaka of PK, Kobayashi Osamu is the director (he also did Beck). Kobayashi does some wild visual things that are different from the manga and that people in the PK thread either love or hate.
I'm a huge Yazawa fan and I'm more than pleased with ParaKiss - ya the anime ahs a slightly different feel to it but much of what's fun about the manga (ie all the self referential comments) wouldn't work in the anime format. Like you, I'm just worried about the anime series being a bit too short. with 24 eps or even 18 or somethign we could cover all the manga story and still have a lot of breathing room. Ah well (then again there have been worse injustices. Please Save My Earth is one of my fave mangas and is just brilliant but is 21 volumes long... It got an OAV which got the feel of the manga down SPOT ON which made it more the frustrating that it was only *6* episodes long... ) Still you gotta wonder about the way these people think--Gokinjo Monogatari the somewhat of a prequel series to ParaKiss was a 7 tankoubons manga that became a *50* episodes (plus a movie) anime. (ParaKiss is on the otherhand 5 volumes for 12 eps).

ThoughI knwo that was a different circumstance--Ribon and the TV network wanted an anime/manga franchise that could replace the huge hit of Marmalade Boys othe anime series wasplotted with Ai to run simultaneously with Gokinjo in Marmalade's timeslot (it actually still finished before the manga did)

E
Old 2005-12-26, 13:57   Link #7
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

One of the best anime/manga combos that I've seen is definitely Azumanga Daioh. Among some of the reasons for this:

1. Faithful translation. J. C. Staff not only did an excellent job bringing all four volumes of the manga into anime form, but also found ways to make the Azumanga ewen better thanks to:

2. Character development. While the 4-panel format of the manga restricted Azumanga to mostly comedy, the anime version, with its 22-minute format (with each episode divided into five pieces), allowed the writers flesh out some of the characters (with one episode being an anime-only tale that focuses on Minamo). Examples of characters who received development in the anime include Sakaki (we find out that her love for cute things is a result of her wanting to be cute), Kaorin (her shoujo-ai interest in Sakaki is expanded in the anime), and Kimura (along with the expansion of her interest in Karoin, the anime also expands how, if you ignore his high school fetish, he's actually a nice guy).

3. Variety in both titles. Even if you checked only the manga or anime version of Azumanga, there's still some uniqueness in the other that would make it worth checking out. For instance, both versions have moments that are exclusive to their format (i.e. the manga includes a few 4-panel comics where Chiyo and Osaka work a summer job at a burger joint; the anime expands the Pengi-Chiyo bit in the manga by having Osaka feed her various food items while the two tour the school festival). With the manga, you can see how the character designs developed as the comic progressed (for instance, Chiyo's pigtails in the manga originally resembled real pigtails instead of the round things that have become a unique feature for her). Finally, along with the humor, the anime version also has quite a few surreal moments that will warm your heart.
Old 2005-12-28, 21:13   Link #8
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavurik
Is Beck the best manga/anime combination or what? I've been reading the manga and I'm completely absorbed (couldn't stop reading so I stayed up til 9am and read 11 volumes), then I get to go and download it in anime form and it's done perfectly. The only other manga that got me this involved was I's. I think it's cool that the book gets you so involved even though you can't even hear the music, but then you're given a chance to hear some of the songs in the anime. A masterpiece.

So what do you think is the best manga/anime combination?
Uh, didn't they skip over an the arc when they went on tour in the US to the very end and stop the anime while the manga clearly continues on.

Anyway, I say the best would be One Piece. Besides the use of filler the anime sticks quite well with the manga. Both the manga and anime have their own elements within them that makes going through both of them quite worth it. The manga for the original artwork and storyline while with the anime you get the additition of adequate VAs and background music much less the animation of truly interesting scenes. Also there is the situation in which the mangaka is quite friendly and interacts quite alot with the director and staff for the anime.

Even with the filler we actually have it that one of the mini stories that are foretold on the chapter title pages be used as one while actually adding to the story when it comes to what happens to Buggy before his appearance in Logue Town.
Old 2006-01-03, 18:16   Link #9
ReCCaThEDraGoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Devil
Hajime no ippo definatly
I would have to agree here... It may be due to my fixation with Hajime no Ippo right now. However, the anime follows the manga perfectly(i believe there was only one recap episode out of 76episdes), and the manga itself is flat out the best!
Old 2006-01-03, 18:28   Link #10
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

ARIA the ANIMATION. Great manga, good anime. The characters fit their voices well.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Old 2006-01-03, 18:47   Link #11
FlyByNite

School Rumble the anime and the manga are a really good combo and I love how the 'bonus' chapters from School Rumble are worked into the anime so its not like Yakumo disappears for awhile since she seems to just pop up in the bonus chapters.
Old 2006-01-06, 14:37   Link #12
_Takashi_

Takashi

Hi guys! I'm new.
Old 2006-01-07, 09:05   Link #13
ForeverGoNe
Inflammation

School rumble definitely is a good combo. Especially looking forward to season 2, a lot of new stuff coming.
Old 2006-01-11, 13:55   Link #14
touchthesun
the pencil progeny

Among those I've seen and read, I would say:
Honey and Clover (all time favorite and very faithful to the manga)
Yakitate Japan (really great adaptation. Also very faithful to the manga. Love how I get to see the animated reactions of Kuro-yan and Pierrot...priceless)
Full Metal Panic: TSR - although in this case, great adaptation of the novel.

Regarding Paradise kiss, it really had a lot of potential. I was expecting great things from it, but I feel it came out short. At times, it was really beautiful to watch, but aside from the fact that it felt too compacted and rushed, what really killed it for me are the little things:weird critter things and flowers appearing during scene changes, unnecessary SD moments that took alot of emotion out of serveral scenes, the poor character design of Arashi, (he looked so much cooler in the manga), and the very little screen time and deemphasis of the role of Hiro--although I understand that this can be largely attributed to attempting to compact the series into 12 episodes, but still.

I feel he's a small but integral part that was unjustly left out. I was really disappointed when

Spoiler:
Old 2006-01-18, 03:01   Link #15
pinomustfly

I'll also have to say Yakitate Japan. I first started reading the manga, and then I watched the first few episodes of the anime. I was dissappointed by the first ones, but ever since about episode 5, it has been all over the top.

Great combination.
Old 2006-01-22, 00:41   Link #16
Spooky-Electric

but then you're given a chance to hear some of the songs in the anime.

The songs in the anime are not the songs in the manga though. They're just a bunch of licensed songs from bands that you probably find on MTV Japan.

The music in the Beck anime was not that great, honestly. I think people like it because it's foreign, whereas if those bands were in English they would be considered on par with Blink 182 and such.

Plus it's so obvious that Koyuki's voice is different when he starts singing. He sounds way older.
Old 2006-01-26, 02:05   Link #17
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
I don't know if it's just bias, but my favorite animes in my favorite genre have excellent mangas which compliment each other well.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou ... which might be the best masterpiece of all artforms, past,present, or future... has a 4-ep anime which animates stories in the manga which benefit from motion, like the changing of light or the fast movement of storm clouds. The only problem with this series is that it might be ending soon, after a 14-year run... it just feels that way. go to ykk.misago.org to read it.

Emma had high production values and a strict attention to detail like the manga. It also didn't break from the storyline in the manga, which was nice. And oooo the animation of the Crystal Palace moment was probably the most romantic scene in all of anime! Another interesting thing about this anime/manga is that you can get both from cerealandmilk.net/iichan/torrents.html . I'll be seeding the series until 100x, seven eps to go until that happens.

Dittos what TnAdct1 said about Azudai. The 4con manga is excellent, but the anime polishes the few rough edges to make it both as hilarious and thoughtful as Calvin and Hobbes. I wish the anime had 50 episodes, I would have loved the character development which Sakaki got in the final story arc. Ah... but I guess that would have been impossible due to the strict cyclical storyline of the series.

-k

curious
Closed Thread