Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-01-14, 01:56   Link #101
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
And no, thats not a spoiler because it was shown about 1 year ago.
It is for those of us who only watches the dub...
Old 2006-01-14, 02:10   Link #102
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
Um...that has happened with "good" characters who are side characters.

The 3rd Hokage in Naruto got killed by Oro, so technically a good guy has "died" before. Its not that common with main characters though...

And no, thats not a spoiler because it was shown about 1 year ago.
And yet such things haven't happened even once in Bleach. Even the "Mr crimes of humanity" Mayuri survived.
Old 2006-01-14, 02:30   Link #103
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewanderer
It is for those of us who only watches the dub...
Um, the chinese dub was shown in my country already, and I doubt the english dub is that far behind.

In fact, I remember someone stating (they watch dub) that they already watched the part where Garaa and Naruto fought. And that was about 1 month ago, on the dub NF forums.
Old 2006-01-14, 02:57   Link #104
Rachy
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Um, the chinese dub was shown in my country already, and I doubt the english dub is that far behind.

In fact, I remember someone stating (they watch dub) that they already watched the part where Garaa and Naruto fought. And that was about 1 month ago, on the dub NF forums.
The english dub is no where near naruto vs gaara.
Old 2006-01-14, 05:34   Link #105
pac9

mmm for me personally, i found naruto to be very creative, but i have to admit that the ninja part wasnt very original, but i really like the way the author tweaked the usual ninja anime and made it into a very interesting and funny story. for example, the whole world that he made and the system the ninja has to go through is very unique.

on the other hand, i don't know why, bleach just didnt grab my interest. i think part of it was its storyline, it was easy to guess whats going to happen next, and the other part was the characters. they just werent very special.

i personally think naruto is more creative

(it's hard to stay on the subject[what's more creative] and not talk about which anime is better overall )
Old 2006-01-14, 05:48   Link #106
Baphomet

I agree more deaths in a series will add realism to the anime. However, its easier said than being done for the writers, especially killing off the main characters.

Lets say the writers pour in efforts to develop a main character throughout the story, suddenly he need to terminate the role of the character.

In bleach for example, some of us may think that hinamori and hitsugaya are better off dead for real rather than resurrected again. But dont forget not everyone will want them dead, especially the characters' fans.

Conclusion: No matter how the writers plot their story, there will be disatisfactions. If they being creative, conservative audience will boo them and so vice versa.

Example:
I commented on how Ichigo's fighting style as being straightforward and dull but someone else said thats how he should fight. Now you guys get the idea?
Old 2006-01-14, 06:14   Link #107
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchiha rave
The english dub is no where near naruto vs gaara.
Fine, fine, fine...

And, has AF ever considered dubs when faced with the issues of spoilers? Only managa spoilers that Im aware of.

Of couse, I might be blind.
Old 2006-01-14, 06:45   Link #108
SpecterVR
Calming Everyday Life

Bleach does such a wonderful job with its humor, its character designs, its plotline ( I never expected to see a twist of THAT Caliber in Bleach. That was right after watching Monster 67 too, my mind was on its end for days xD). For one, Bleach may not have a very original premise, but its execution is done so amazingly well that it may as well be. I mean, seriously, you can tell the same story in a different way and make it so mind blowingly different. xD
Old 2006-01-14, 16:09   Link #109
chucky
Always impatient

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
William Shakespeare used up all the possible permutations of human existence before his death in 1616. Since then we have only been updating them and trying to find new angles to view them from.

Now, the essence of originality is to find something new to do with old ideas.
Never meant to be a flame for what I am gonna say while it will be understandable if it is interpreted so.... but this comment really makes me wonder, sorry to say, if you have really read enough to know what you are talking about. I remember In the manga Angel Heart's front cover-flip(#17), Hojo talks about his experiences in a bookstore: two highschool rumbled around the fiction section, and one said "those books only have words and how am I gonna read it?", put down the books in her hand and left. Hojo then picked it up, reshelved it, added this comment: even I am a mangake, but people need to read books of words and not just manga!

You read Dostevsky? You read Kafka? Or in a Japanese culture-related milieu like here, You even read Oe Kenzaburo? If you try to make the case every of these authors bears the mark of Shakespeare, how about I'll make the case that Shakespeare's works just bear the mark of the Bible, the Gilgamesh, Bhagavad Gita, Sophocles and eh, hmm, whatever you name? I mean.... well, I really tried my best not to be too harsh on this, you know, since you are an admin afterall. And yes, my comment is some silly name throttling, but afterall I wonder how many serious people will chuckle reading what you wrote there.
Old 2006-01-15, 20:07   Link #110
Uh_huh

I love the idea that evil conquers good in the end! Adding that kind of realism to animes just hypes it up even more.

I want to mention that there are two animes that come to mind that I really enjoyed: GANTZ and X TV. I was so surprising to me that both animes killed off characters from both side and ...
Spoiler:
That is what I call a good anime.

I didn't really enjoy GANTZ as much because the ending was just messed up (I wonder what the producers were smoking when they came up with that) but excluding the ending, it was amazing. When do you ever see in an anime where the ...
Spoiler:

For those who are sick of watching sappy animes where good always triumphs evil no matter how strong and powerful the evil-doers are portrayed out to be. I highly recommend reading Death Note (there's only the manga). The protagonist (portrayed as being "evil") uses his wits to outplay his opponenets in order to mould the world into a utopia by eliminating all the "trash."
Old 2006-01-16, 02:21   Link #111
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky
Never meant to be a flame for what I am gonna say while it will be understandable if it is interpreted so.... but this comment really makes me wonder, sorry to say, if you have really read enough to know what you are talking about. I remember In the manga Angel Heart's front cover-flip(#17), Hojo talks about his experiences in a bookstore: two highschool rumbled around the fiction section, and one said "those books only have words and how am I gonna read it?", put down the books in her hand and left. Hojo then picked it up, reshelved it, added this comment: even I am a mangake, but people need to read books of words and not just manga!
You read Dostevsky? You read Kafka? Or in a Japanese culture-related milieu like here, You even read Oe Kenzaburo? If you try to make the case every of these authors bears the mark of Shakespeare, how about I'll make the case that Shakespeare's works just bear the mark of the Bible, the Gilgamesh, Bhagavad Gita, Sophocles and eh, hmm, whatever you name? I mean.... well, I really tried my best not to be too harsh on this, you know, since you are an admin afterall. And yes, my comment is some silly name throttling, but afterall I wonder how many serious people will chuckle reading what you wrote there.
Shakespeare certainly did stand upon the shoulders of those who came before him. Just as those who followed stood upon his shoulders. I never meant to say that Shakespeare was the only one worth reading, nor is he the only one I have read. I merely put him forward as an example of how there is little that can be written that was not already written in one form or another. And the reason I choose Shakespeare instead of the Mahabharata (which I would have chose to mention instead of the single part which is the Bhagavad Ghita, for the sake of its scope) is because Shakespeare had greater scope of writing than anyone else. He covered a broader spectrum of the human experience, though perhaps he didn't go nearly so deeply into certain aspects of human life as Dostevsky or the Bhagavad Ghita. Sorry if you thought I meant that Shakespeare was the alpha and omega of literature, for that was not my intention.

A much more interesting discussion about creativity or its lack would be the Epic of Gilgamesh which you mention. I trust you read it? That was one of the most horribly hackneyed, stereotyped, badly written pieces of literature I have ever seen in my entire life. On the other hand, it was immensely creative. It was creative because none of these concepts had ever been written down before. It sucked badly because the writers didn't yet know how to use those concepts in a good way. It proves that creativity is over-rated if you can't refine it into a good story. While little today is creative, we have rubbed off all the rough edges and learned how to use our toolbox of ideas in such a superior fashion that even a hack writer wouldn't create something as awful as the Epic of Gilgamesh.

Yet.... the ideas in the Epic glitter like brilliant gems. I can see why they were worth preserving for 6000 years. There are some wonderful themes which the Sumerians invented. It is a shame they didn't know how to write them. Fortunately others have copied and re-copied them since then. Now that someone has had the original creative impulse, the ideas could be borrowed and turned into a magnificent story. It is fortunate that we can stand upon the creative shoulders of our forebears and occasionally create something better, if less creative.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-01-16, 02:32   Link #112
SpecterVR
Calming Everyday Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uh_huh
Spoiler:
Umm...One certain anime comes to mind, but I won't mention in fear of spoiling.

Theres probably a few others too, but I mean, a few charactesr, and the ENTIRE CAST is more "AGUFSDDASFG$#@)#$" than "Wow, thats suprising and riveting." So I think. xD

Last edited by SpecterVR; 2006-01-16 at 02:36. Reason: Taking out the pointless spoiler.
Old 2010-04-19, 07:07   Link #113
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
There is a lot of creativity around metaphors and allusions. You know how we say swords are phallic symbols? Well, turns out Ichigo`s empowerment stages are in fact his sexual maturation

1) His original huge sword symbolizes his huge and uncontrollable boners

2) His shikai is in fact when he peals the skin (misses the handle, remember?)

3) His evil ego is his bestial urge to rape anything on sight

4) His bankai is in fact his improvement at shooting his juices properly (it fires a huge beam during activation)

5) His vizard mask is in fact the use of condoms

6) His new power up (soon to be animated so don`t read if you don`t want to be spoiled... or doing a triple facepalm)
Spoiler:

It is also an antithesis at how the good side has swords that represent penises, while the evil side has holes that represent vaginae. This is a shounen series after all and women are never there for a good reason. And since women are useless in this series, it is no surprise the Arrankars were screwed big time.

Man, the depth of this series has left me speechless once again. I keep finding more allusions here than in Neon Genesis!

There is a lot of creativity in this series. What it misses is all the rest...
Old 2010-04-19, 07:34   Link #114
Mangs
So sexy it hurts

Send a message via AIM to Mangs Send a message via MSN to Mangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
There is a lot of creativity around metaphors and allusions. You know how we say swords are phallic symbols? Well, turns out Ichigo`s empowerment stages are in fact his sexual maturation

1) His original huge sword symbolizes his huge and uncontrollable boners

2) His shikai is in fact when he peals the skin (misses the handle, remember?)

3) His evil ego is his bestial urge to rape anything on sight

4) His bankai is in fact his improvement at shooting his juices properly (it fires a huge beam during activation)

5) His vizard mask is in fact the use of condoms

6) His new power up (soon to be animated so don`t read if you don`t want to be spoiled... or doing a triple facepalm)
Spoiler:

It is also an antithesis at how the good side has swords that represent penises, while the evil side has holes that represent vaginae. This is a shounen series after all and women are never there for a good reason. And since women are useless in this series, it is no surprise the Arrankars were screwed big time.

Man, the depth of this series has left me speechless once again. I keep finding more allusions here than in Neon Genesis!

There is a lot of creativity in this series. What it misses is all the rest...
I lol'd
Old 2010-04-19, 10:43   Link #115
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Two words: Soifon's bankai

I think that speaks for itself

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Old 2010-04-19, 11:08   Link #116
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

No, my Proof? Turning a childs game into a reality and a deadly weapon.

ya know what lacks creativity, loli/little girl animes
Old 2010-04-19, 13:42   Link #117
Randumo24
Banned

ok, how many parts of either are completly original if you compare it to the dragonball series?
Old 2010-04-19, 14:12   Link #118
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randumo24 View Post
ok, how many parts of either are completly original if you compare it to the dragonball series?
The thing is, cliche is now cliche its self. Its hard as supermans sack to be original without going completly wack out of reality like ttgl
Old 2010-04-19, 14:56   Link #119
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
You know the funny part? No one ever copied Hokuto no Ken much and thus it still is original today, even if it was amongst the first in the genre.
Old 2010-04-19, 16:23   Link #120
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
You know the funny part? No one ever copied Hokuto no Ken much and thus it still is original today, even if it was amongst the first in the genre.

Looks awesome.
Closed Thread