AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

View Poll Results: What pairing do YOU want to see in My Otome?
Sergey/Nina 0 0%
Sergey/Arika 0 0%
Nina/Eristen 0 0%
Arika/Eristen 0 0%
Arika/Nina 1 100.00%
Natsuki/Shizuru 0 0%
Sergey/Natsuki 0 0%
Sergey/Shizuru 0 0%
Haruka/Yukino 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-01-22, 04:26   Link #101
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
Since this is a series targetted to the Japanese demographic audience, I'll pull a swerve and say...

He won't, because Arika is not underage. Japan's age of consent is 13. So, Sergay cannot be charged for statutory rape. Marriage however, is a different issue.
EDIT: nvm, DeuceTrick has more accurate information than my "hearsay".

And from the article, apparently DeuceTrick bolded the weakness of the law system as well..
Old 2006-01-22, 04:26   Link #102
DeuceTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
He won't, because Arika is not underage. Japan's age of consent is 13. So, Sergay cannot be charged for statutory rape. Marriage however, is a different issue.
Untrue.
http://www.ageofconsent.com/japan.htm
Check out the bold parts. (Edit: In short, under eighteen and your ass is toast.)

... Of course, this is Otome Planet, not Earth. So who knows? It might be acceptable there.
Old 2006-01-22, 04:55   Link #103
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceTrick
Untrue.
Check out the bold parts. (Edit: In short, under eighteen and your ass is toast.)

... Of course, this is Otome Planet, not Earth. So who knows? It might be acceptable there.
As I said, Sergay got written permission. If he did anything, he can blame Negi, his ruler, for giving him the order.
Old 2006-01-22, 05:04   Link #104
PuRpLe CryStaL
::Natsuki's FanGaL::

Send a message via Yahoo to PuRpLe CryStaL
Exclamation NoNo

Nonono! I don't want Arika x Sergay pairing in the end! Sergay thought Arika was Rena's daughter, thus he sponsored her in her education & showered her with birthday gifts. I like how he has played his role as her guardian without exposing his identity to Arika. I'm not a Sergay fangirl but I respect the way he handles his love for Rena by not mixing the kind of love he has for Arika. Seems to me that he treated Arika and Nina with fatherly love before realizing that Arika developed feelings for him. Arika on the other hand should focus on preventing wars from breaking out and protect the people in Windbloom. She should channel her love to protecting the lives of the people, no more romance for now.
Old 2006-01-22, 08:12   Link #105
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
It's a pity, but MH Yukino is pretty much doomed the same way Smithers is in The Simpsons.
Though unlike Smithers, Yukino-Chan actually has hope of a life afterwards because she is a warm, sweet, kind, caring and loving person, whom one day will bump into someone who can love her for who she is and give her happiness.

And plus, she is SO much cuter than Smithers ever have and ever will be. I wanna take her home!!
Old 2006-01-22, 08:39   Link #106
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Aquila
Though unlike Smithers, Yukino-Chan actually has hope of a life afterwards because she is a warm, sweet, kind, caring and loving person, whom one day will bump into someone who can love her for who she is and give her happiness.

And plus, she is SO much cuter than Smithers ever have and ever will be. I wanna take her home!!
Sorry, Ronin, but I think Yukio's mind is made up. She would follow Haruka wherever she goes and whatever she chose to do. You (or any other random John or Jane) can't make her happy, because her happiness involves Haruka. Some things are just the way they are.
Old 2006-01-22, 09:12   Link #107
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Figure of speech sir, just to emphasise how cute she is. For example, sure, I would like to take Stella-Chan from Gundam Seed Destiny home, but I value the lining of my jugular enough to refrain from doing so.

After all, I wouldn't want to get my throat cut when I invite my friends over for role-playing night. ( "Roll The Dice." "DIcE? I DON'T WANNA DIE!!" )

Same with Yukino-Chan. Sure, she's the perfect little sister, but she's free to pursue her destiny in life.

Dosen't make her any less nice and huggable or her smile and voice any less angelic though.
Old 2006-01-22, 14:00   Link #108
KarinAoi

I kind of like the idea that there might be more between Sergay and Arika than just friendship or father&daughter feelings.

Maybe this age gap between these two does not affect me the way it affects other fans. I think the cause for this is the last novel we had to read at school. The novel shows a relationship between a woman (32 years old) and a boy (16 years old). The story took place a few years after the second world war... but that is an other story.

So... now my opinion about Sergays reaction.

I think, Sergay is the guy from this story about the Otome (Mai?), who went into the forest.
After this Sergay turned to Nagi. (the flashback scene from this episode)
Old 2006-01-22, 14:25   Link #109
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarinAoi
I kind of like the idea that there might be more between Sergay and Arika than just friendship or father&daughter feelings.

Maybe this age gap between these two does not affect me the way it affects other fans. I think the cause for this is the last novel we had to read at school. The novel shows a relationship between a woman (32 years old) and a boy (16 years old). The story took place a few years after the second world war... but that is an other story.
Just because it does happen, doesn't mean that it should. Like I've said in previous threads, Arika does not have the maturity, wherewithal nor experience to be in a romantic relationship with a man older than her by almost half. Although I disagree with how people translate his "North Hound" moniker, he is obviously a man who's been around the block. To take advantage of one who really has no concept of romantic love and what it entails other than the rampage of unfamiliar feelings she's going through at the moment, is inexcusable IMHO. Like it has been mentioned, it's statutory rape. Period. No ifs ands or buts about it. Even if she understood the consequences of a relationship with an older man, I'd still strongly disapprove. An older woman going after a younger male is just as reprehensible IMHO, so I don't know how by reading that story it helped you form the opinion that this pairing is somehow acceptable.
Old 2006-01-22, 14:32   Link #110
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

I really hope not. Don't you remember what happens to an Otome if they get involved with the opposite sex? They'd loose their chance at becoming one. Plus, an underage girl with a middle aged man is just....
Old 2006-01-22, 14:38   Link #111
KarinAoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieli
An older woman going after a younger male is just as reprehensible IMHO, so I don't know how by reading that story it helped you form the opinion that this pairing is somehow acceptable.
How can I put my opinion straight...hmm...
I think it is not against the law, when they only share feelings for each other.

And btw... I would prefer if you don't use the word "rape" so casually. I think Sergey will never do something like that to Arika.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazakura
Don't you remember what happens to an Otome if they get involved with the opposite sex?
What's with Rena?
Old 2006-01-22, 14:44   Link #112
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
How can I put my opinion straight...hmm...
I think it is not against the law, when they only share feelings for each other.
I never said it was, I said acting on it is against the law. Big difference. I expressed my distaste for him sharing romantic feelings for a girl half his age.
Quote:
And btw... I would prefer if you don't use the word "rape" so casually. I think Sergey will never do something like that to Arika.
As a former victim of rape, I do NOT use this word casually and a) you don't have the right to admonish me about it and b) I am quoting the LAW and what they call this sort of thing. If it disturbs you, maybe you should think about that before condoning the pairing. Because if both act on their feelings, that is what it is, simply put. The law states that it is statutory rape. Read the previous posts. One cannot have sensitive feelings about calling a spade a spade. That is the reality of things and if you can't handle the reality, then maybe you should rethink your position. Since Sergay was given permission by Nagi to do whatever it took to make the Princess of Windbloom the pawn of Artai, even seduction, he could very well have done just that and would've been justified and exonerated by his Grand Duke. He may even still do what he was ordered. That has yet to be seen or determined.

And I think you should know what you're dealing with, since obviously you don't:

http://www.nsvrc.org/resources/types_sa/statutory.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statutory_rape
Old 2006-01-22, 14:47   Link #113
KarinAoi

You know... it's an anime.

And just for your information... I'm also a former victim of rape.
Old 2006-01-22, 14:51   Link #114
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
You know... it's an anime.

And just for your information... I'm also a former victim of rape.
Just because it's an anime doesn't mean that I have to agree with certain elements within said anime. And I don't quite often.

My condolences about your prior predicament. But I'm not throwing the word around lightly. As you can see in the links provided by myself and others, this is NOT a subject or pairing to be taken lightly.
Old 2006-01-22, 15:01   Link #115
ArchDragon
The Ultimate Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceTrick
Untrue.

Actually, he was right, check this line:

Quote:
Age of consent for sexual activity
The Article 177 of the Penal Code puts the age of consent for sexual actitvity at thirteen (13) years.
So although 13-17 year olds are still considered "children", it's legal to have sexual activities with them.

In the US, the Federal Gov. set it at 17, although I think individual states are allowed set it even higher.

As for the Otome planet, I think it's closer to Japan than US.
Since noone brings up the age issue when a 20 year old (Kazuya) asked a 16 year old (Akane) to elope with him.
Old 2006-01-22, 15:15   Link #116
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchDragon
Actually, he was right, check this line:

So although 13-17 year olds are still considered "children", it's legal to have sexual activities with them.

In the US, the Federal Gov. set it at 17, although I think individual states are allowed set it even higher.

As for the Otome planet, I think it's closer to Japan than US.
Since noone brings up the age issue when a 20 year old (Kazuya) asked a 16 year old (Akane) to elope with him.
However, you missed this line further down the page:
Quote:
Article 34 of the Child Welfare Law
" Any person shall not do any of the following acts : …(6) act of inducing a minor to be engaged in sexual activities … "
Inducing a minor who is less than eighteen (18) to be engaged in sexual activities is subject to punishment under the Child Welfare Law. According to Japanese Court cases, " inducing a minor to be engaged in sexual activities means an act of working on a minor to have intercourse or analogous conducts ( including oral and anal sex) with him or her, or with someone else by exering influence on the minor virually.
And this line further down still:
Quote:
Important Update: 5-19-99 -- Japan passes new law prohibiting sex with anyone under 18! This was the first report we received. Only thing -- it was slightly misleading ... the law only applied to paying for sex to anyone under 18!
From what I understand, however, each prefecture makes it's own determination regarding age of consent age limits and most prefectures have ages 16 or 18 as the legal age limit.
Old 2006-01-22, 15:20   Link #117
ArchDragon
The Ultimate Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieli
However, you missed this line further down the page:
You're right, I missed that.

But then, what does their legal age of consent mean?
In the US, once someone became "legal" age-wise, they're free for all.
What does it mean to be "legal" in Japan?
Old 2006-01-22, 15:28   Link #118
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchDragon
You're right, I missed that.

But then, what does their legal age of consent mean?
In the US, once someone became "legal" age-wise, they're free for all.
What does it mean to be "legal" in Japan?
Quote:
I. Ages for legal purposes
Article 2 - Definitions
For the purpose of this Law, a "child" means a person under the age of 18 years.
I'm assuming that it means the same thing as it does here in the US...that the person has enough information and experience to know what they are consenting to. The legality has to do with the statutes regarding age of consent written in their constitution and the statutes made by individual prefectures. At least, that is my understanding.
Old 2006-01-22, 15:43   Link #119
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!

It would be my suspicion that anyone cheering on a Arika / Sergey pairing is closer to the age of Arika than Sergey. Why? Because as you get older and look back on your life, you realize that the things you wanted at 15 are a far cry from what you actually want at 20 or 25. First loves often (but not always) end poorly, and not at the fault of either party. At fifteen, you're still learning what you want, both in general and even more so about love.

Wishing an Arika / Sergey pairing is wishing that Arika ends up with a guy who she may very well discover that she's not interested in at all a year or two down the line. Is that really something worth giving up her future as an Otome for?

And this is all assuming that Sergey is the perfect gentleman (which he has been, so far). If you start throwing in bad situations with him, it gets much worse. When a young person (of either gender) becomes involved with an older person who has a stable income, the older person has the clear advantage when invitable disputes break out. The older person has very little reason to comprimise with someone who's half their age and is entirely dependant upon the older person for their basic needs (food, shelter, etc). This often leads to abuse. It's problematic enough when you've got two people of equal age and unequal means to support themselves... adding an age difference in makes it even worse.

I realize its only a story, and their fictional characters. But I think people need to have a little more grounded views when it comes to something like this.
Old 2006-01-22, 15:50   Link #120
imperialmog

Send a message via AIM to imperialmog Send a message via Yahoo to imperialmog
I think the whole issue is *hopefully* a mute point due to nanomachines and all. It makes me rather glad to have that safegaurd in as well. Maybe it's just the problem is that people think to much with what's below the waist. Then again, I admit that I am a prude and often rather old-fashioned when it comes to sex.

I wonder if some of the conflict between Nagi and Sergay could involve this issue as well? I just wish Arika would pair up with Erstin instead since Arika is kind and gentle enough for Erstin who you don't want to see with a jerk.
Closed Thread