AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-02, 10:36   Link #1521
hero147

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
Is the strength of the hero's team well known to the characters within the universe? If so, how do the central/ church thinks they can beat the southern nation by militarily strength? The Southern nation don't need the support of the central anymore due to Crimson Scholar's economic/ farming technology. And even on paper they have the female knight and archer backing southern nation. If hero come out and tell the world he sides with Southern nation, that makes 3 out of 4 of the invincible team. If they can go deep into demon realms, they could wreck chaos in the central in whatever ways they want.
I think the word out on the street is that both the hero and demon queen fought and were both (?) severely injured and recuperating. But then again, it feels like a lot of time has passed...
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-02, 11:15   Link #1522
alunde
osananajimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
I'm more interested in what the church might do next. If they have the same power as the catholic church in RL, they might excommunicate the entire winter country and declare a 'crusade' against it.
David Weber tried to do that in one of his recent series ("Safehold", starting with "Off Armageddon Reef") and managed to produce a ponderous, far too talky work, with endless Byzantine politics.

The Catholic church was probably at the height of its power when it was the nominal church of the Roman empire, it's been all down hill since then. The historical models I can see for this sort of thing are the conflicts with Islam, the European witch hunts led by the Inquisition, and the conflicts during the Protestant reformation.

It seems like there were interests which led the Christian church (or churches) to try to keep nominally Christian nations under their thumb. Declaring an entire nation excommunicated is too large a risk in terms of losing a source of income. It does become a bit of a question as to when they were judging a nation and when they were judging its rulers.

The case of England and Henry the Eighth is one where the issue was predominantly the ruler coming into conflict with the Roman church and his nation and the local church being led to follow him.

I suppose the conflicts with Islam are a better model for this story. It may be noted than for some period of time the Islamic sphere was the intellectual center of western culture, preserving the heritage of classical culture better than the rest of Europe.

The "crusades" of our world were played out over a longer time, so it's hard to compress all the different forms of stupidity involved into one short story.

The "crusader states" built around Jerusalem by former crusaders gone native, are kind of like the business of Gate City.

The case of Spain which for some time was in the Islamic sphere, then was re-Christianized, might be another parallel case.

Where the parallels may be drawn are the differences between trading with your neighbors and demonizing them to justify wars that serve other interests.
Old 2013-03-02, 11:44   Link #1523
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
The Catholic Church rarely had armies strong enough to actually take over more than a small amount of land. There was the Papal States, but control past that was pretty rare, as the large Empires were just that. So, in this context, it's more like the issues with King James vs the Catholic Church than a crusade. (Which people always seem to forget ended badly and with a loss)

Without foreknowledge, and given they've tried to stick roughly to the type of interactions that would happen among the major powers, the Church will attempt to recruit 1-2 countries to depose the Winter King. (Winter Night King being the most likely to lead the attack)

However, there's 3 really important details. 1) Winter Country is food self-sufficient, so they can't just kill the supply lines and win. 2) Hero + Female Knight = 1 army. 3) Winter King controls the biggest trade route in the World.

#3 is actually the most important detail. Wars require funding. The only funding available for something like an attack on Winter Country would be via the Alliance. However, the Winter King has such a massive trump card to play on that water trade route that he can broker a very nice deal to keep the Alliance out of a War. Which means there's no money to run a war. This should be why Young Merchant was buying time. With just some time, he can probably take over much of the Alliance via control of that trade route, which lets them prevent funding for a war.

At least, that's how I'd read the situation.
I would say that the Church of Maoyuu is a lot stronger then the Catholic Church. From past eps it seems that they are in control of the war effert with the Demons and were able to easly field 4000 men and 400 ships without calling a crusade and it was said that the takeing of bright light island was likely going to be used as a rallying point to call the next crusade.

Winter Kings trade route isn't as useful as you may think. really they only control the trade route that ends within the southern nations. A trade route has to go through your teratory to be controled by a nation and right now there aren't any routes that pass through their lands. they don't control all the seas and cuting off that trade route isn't going to hurt anyone but themselves assumeing the other nations still want to trade with them.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-02, 14:01   Link #1524
HandofFate

Where are the Summer, Fall & Spring Kings?
Old 2013-03-02, 15:17   Link #1525
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Where are the Summer, Fall & Spring Kings?
Up north in the central nations where it's much warmer.

Remember the talk about corn planting in the Northern territories that boarder the desert? I think higher up you get the more changes you see in the scenery like in a real fantasy rpg.
Old 2013-03-02, 15:22   Link #1526
Jehuty

I absolutely loved the serf's intensity in her speech. It was powerful, and it was moving. It was warming to the heart.

Having said that, I dislike how so far we've only been shown demons being defeated and killed. I want to see corrupt humans suffer -- I want to see evil people die in this story, by Hero's hand.
Old 2013-03-02, 17:14   Link #1527
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I have to say props to the Older Sister in this episode. She completely blew away my expectations for this episode. Instead of just going along with the plan, she stood up and claimed her humanity. You could see the doubts she'd been wrestling with for several episodes, but here she finally did away with that and took action.

Will say I was a bit worried since the more she spoke the more the result went into two extremes. Either everyone would rally around her and the Church would get the boot or she might end up getting killed as a martyr.

Great episode though. Loved seeing that girl just touch the hearts and minds of everyone there and even making the Winter King take action.
Old 2013-03-02, 19:10   Link #1528
dredmorte

Looks like the Protestant reformation. Only alot more elegant than the one in RL.
dredmorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-02, 22:12   Link #1529
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Big Sis with one great speech
Old 2013-03-02, 22:21   Link #1530
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
I would say that the Church of Maoyuu is a lot stronger then the Catholic Church. From past eps it seems that they are in control of the war effert with the Demons and were able to easly field 4000 men and 400 ships without calling a crusade and it was said that the takeing of bright light island was likely going to be used as a rallying point to call the next crusade.
It wasn't the Church, it was the central nations. It's unclear how much power and influence the Church has.

Quote:
Winter Kings trade route isn't as useful as you may think. really they only control the trade route that ends within the southern nations. A trade route has to go through your teratory to be controled by a nation and right now there aren't any routes that pass through their lands. they don't control all the seas and cuting off that trade route isn't going to hurt anyone but themselves assumeing the other nations still want to trade with them.
Yeah. It's just a trade route. Passing through poor countries. OTOH, he's got the biggest source of salt at the end of it, so there is that.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 11:40   Link #1531
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It wasn't the Church, it was the central nations. It's unclear how much power and influence the Church has.

Yeah. It's just a trade route. Passing through poor countries. OTOH, he's got the biggest source of salt at the end of it, so there is that.
Given that they stated in EP 5 that the whole plan was from the holy capital and church I feel it is safe to say the Church has quite a bit of power.

While salt is valubale the human world has not had access to this trade route for years makeing it less of a barging chip as it's loss would just be bisness as normal for the central nations. currently the southern nations don't seem to have any high demand resouces that blocking a trade route would be useful for. (iron nation might have it best in terms of this type of econimic warfare as thier name at least implies that they are likely to have a gooddeal of trade in smithed goods)
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 13:41   Link #1532
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Verse 9: I'm Human

To me this episode particularly addressed me at a personal level.

We are flawed, but we can prove to ourselves our self-worth.

I believe that it's no use to wait forever for a chance to pass and take it, in order to make ourselves known. I believe that we need to struggle our way out and keep moving, in spite of whatever burden, hardship, and desolation we will find along in the path we're walking.

The worst of all tyrannies is to keep ourselves shut-up and not expressing what we truly believe about ourselves to the rest of the world; to let things to slide out of our view; to pretend that everything is well, and yet the signs that we're heading to catastrophe are visibly shown.

If anything our past history has taught to all of our nations around the world is that history keeps repeating by itself, unless we stand up and speak against that we do not want anymore of that darkness.

Big Maid put up an extraordinary feat of courage, in spite of all the fear overwhelming her.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 16:49   Link #1533
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

hmm, that spirit thing in the end is more interesting though, the way i see it this sort of yuusha/maou interaction had played out many many times before.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 22:18   Link #1534
FateAnomaly

Wow those are big stones they are throwing.

Older sister is cliche but still inspirational nevertheless. Seems like fate has more in store for her.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 07:09   Link #1535
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Many comments in this thread already represent my impression on the latest episode: the inspiring speech by Big-sis Maid, the hateful church representative, Winter King’s decision, and Crimson Scholar declared as a saint . But what interest me the most is the after-credit scene where a figure which looks like the Spirit of Light showing us many of those who have claimed the “Hero” title throughout the history before Hero (This is just a speculation, mods. Please don’t delete my post XD).
Old 2013-03-04, 12:26   Link #1536
zero7090

Yes, the studio didnt disappointed me. Even when their animation budget fell short, the director, seiyuu and soundtrack mixer guys did there best. Solid work.
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 17:53   Link #1537
HandofFate

What is the Lakeside Convent that Knight belongs to?

Is it just a branch of the church? Or is it separate.
Old 2013-03-04, 18:56   Link #1538
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
What is the Lakeside Convent that Knight belongs to?

Is it just a branch of the church? Or is it separate.
Yes they are indeed a branch of the church that was stated earlier in the series.
Old 2013-03-04, 22:04   Link #1539
s07195
However,

Hmm, the speech by Bis Sis Maid was inspiring, but could lead to future problems if the Demon Queen ever decides to reveal herself...
Old 2013-03-04, 22:11   Link #1540
FateAnomaly

I suspect that older sis will eventually take over the mission of the crimson scholar while maou and yuusha roam the land.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
economics, fantasy, harem