Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2003-12-21, 04:57   Link #21
Tboz

They definately do...

For example...
A wacky avatar... he's fun loving...
A bloody/gruelsome one... he's violent maybe abit sadistic...

Since I don't know the person in real life, the avatar/signarure will hold some clue to why he choose it and how the person is like. Then my perception of that person will first take shape from there. They won't necessary hold true for everyone though. Usually, more interation with that person and reading their posts will tell me otherwise.

Btw, whenever I think of boneyjellyfish, I think of Ed from Cowboy Bebop.
Tboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 05:04   Link #22
xfordained
you should die

well said although i think my ava is the self that no one sees i myself want to stangle lots of ppl just for spite i donno why i just do
xfordained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 06:06   Link #23
Dark_Voodoo
In The Navy

Yes, I do. I have had times when I judged a person becuse of their av and thaught "well thats a girl" only to find... nope its a male all I can say is I'm sorry (You know who you are )
And then you can judge form the av's (if its a anime av) that a person likes a anime and through that you can get more information about that person (in your own mind).

Like if someone has a Bottle Fairy av... Funloving, a little crazy, and probably a nice person or a Naruto av... well naruto is naruto.

What I see when I think of boneyjellyfish:
Dark_Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 06:11   Link #24
Tomomi
chrno fangal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Voodoo
What I see when I think of boneyjellyfish:
Ehehe... It's from Slayers, right? Anyway, they may be jellyfishes but their characteristics are totally different.
Tomomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 08:56   Link #25
saku~ya
la~li~lo

I can admit that when I choose my avatars I try to think of what other people will think of them. Most of my avatars come from one anime CCS ^^;; Heh, what can I do when its my favorite.

But when I see other peoples avatars it just makes me think what kind of anime the enjoy the best like:

dark_voodoo: I always think that he must like that anime cause for the longggest time he has had the same avatar with the cat

boneyjellyfish: Lets see the other day when I was reading through posts I came upon an unfamiliar avatar. So I was thinking it must be someone knew. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be a jellyfish +_+! It took me sometime to get used to it. In fact I still don't know what it is

So I use people's avatars rather than their names to remind who wrote something.
saku~ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 09:13   Link #26
Koshiba

Send a message via AIM to Koshiba Send a message via MSN to Koshiba
I used to always imagine people as their avatars. xD; But now we have the pic thread so yeah~
Koshiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 09:21   Link #27
Muraki
Dreamer

How true saku~ya The first time I saw Boneyjellyfish's new avy I went erkkk o.O after awhile of seeing the same avy u tend to see the avy instead of the name ^_^;;

My avy tends to be from a series I enjoyed and usually it ends up being cute in some way...bloody and greusome avys make me go o.O

but the truth is how I act around ppl and how I act hen I'm alone are two very different things...only a few people have seen behind the mask -_-;;
Muraki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 09:26   Link #28
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muraki
after awhile of seeing the same avy u tend to see the avy instead of the name ^_^;;
That's what Avatars are for, right?
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 09:33   Link #29
Archuka
A territory most absolute

I usually try to pick avatars with characters, who have personalities I like. I for example like the way Red XIII looks somehow smart and serious in my avatar. I also never pick an avatar with a female character, because it makes me look like a girl and I want my avatar to at least a little bit reflect the way I see my own personality.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 16:35   Link #30
VanFanel
Friend of the Giraffe

Most people don't just pick an avatar on random, so I guess the avatar tells at least something about the person. But that doesn't mean that the people who see the avatar knows what that is. Nevertheless, it's a first impression, just as seeing someone face to face for the first time.

If I had chosen (random example) Chii, people might think I was a girl, and people who don't like Chobits might get a bad impression and dislike me from "gut feeling". And I didn't want that. That's why I chose a neutral avatar that people (probably) didn't have any prior relationship to. So even if my username is VanFanel, it won't have the same effect as the avatar. Most people won't relate me to Escaflowne, but to that Giraffe.

Or am I wrong?

Edit: My goal was to present myself as a cute and kind person (the Giraffe), without sacrificing any masculinity (VanFanel). Did it work?
VanFanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 16:40   Link #31
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAppi
So does everyone think I'm a slutty male cat boi who really likes milk, or I like slutty cat bois who drink milk?
well im hoping your the first one but i doubt u are
I wouldn't mind being one for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
2. gravitation - a bit younger than 20? doesn't give me an uneasy feeling. Gentle?
He's actually only 14 XP Which is quite a bit younger then 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
3. JAppi - a little on the sharp side in terms of personality.
What's what supposed to mean?

NoSanninWa scares me....
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 16:42   Link #32
Hellychan
~chibi tenshi~

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanFanel
Edit: My goal was to present myself as a cute and kind person (the Giraffe), without sacrificing any masculinity (VanFanel). Did it work?
You could also have introduced yourself as a cute and kind person with a guy avatar
Old 2003-12-21, 17:04   Link #33
smee
Silent A$$A$$IN

Send a message via AIM to smee
well, everyone knows i'm cool like my avatar, also what do you guys think of me when you see my avatar? do you think i'm older or younger than 14?
smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 22:03   Link #34
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

I see avatars simply as a persons likes and dislikes. If there's a man on it, then it may be a man behind the name. If it's a woman, it may just be a woman. If the person doesn't specify their gender in their profile, then I look for their gender in their avatar. Otherwise, it's just a spiffy little image under our names/titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smee
well, everyone knows i'm cool like my avatar, also what do you guys think of me when you see my avatar? do you think i'm older or younger than 14?
I see a Naruto fanboy.

*makes a quick getaway*
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 22:51   Link #35
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

The avatar does play a crucial role in other people's perception of you. Naturally, how we represent ourselves would affect how others think of us...

I'm not a Shaolin bronzeman.

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
diabolistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 23:01   Link #36
p3psi
Oscar winning black actor

some guy in the naruto fourms thinks im a sexy lady because of my avatar.

I'll break the news to him that im a guy, after the first date if i dont like him.
p3psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 23:11   Link #37
Gaara11
~ Got Love? ~

People think that because my av is like this that I'm cute, cuddly and lovable. But like Gaara, call me cute and you're DEAD! j/k
Gaara11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 23:16   Link #38
p3psi
Oscar winning black actor

omg, you're so adorable when you say things like that
p3psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 23:17   Link #39
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by smee

Your overly flashy naruto avatar combined with your crappy sig and your stupidity leads me to believe that you are probably under the age of 14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3psi
some guy in the naruto fourms thinks im a sexy lady because of my avatar.

I'll break the news to him that im a guy, after the first date if i dont like him.
ROFLMAO!

You're only gonna tell him if you don't like him?
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 23:27   Link #40
Lanthis
Nen Addict

Boney, what server do you play on?
Lanthis is offline   Reply With Quote