AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-02-08, 00:02   Link #21
RabidZeph

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
The psychoframe is not a type of armor. It is a inner structure (like our bones and muscles) used on the Nu Gundam so Amuro can control it's movements with his mind.

The Zephyranthes took hits from 14Fs arm machine gun. I don't know what calibur it is but as we all know machine guns have no effect on a Gundam (MSG episode 1).
Hence why I said the phychoframe is not true armor. It's a tool that somehow can redirect pure energy, such as a beam.

Edit: I see anything that protects as armor. The I-Field is an armor in my eyes. I hope I convey enough meaning with this edit.

Are you sure that it was the 110mm arm mounted machine cannons? I dont recal the strikes against the armor as something that would be from a weapon such as a machine cannon.
RabidZeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 14:10   Link #22
fizzmaister
The Tall One

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoHunter
Perhaps even in 65 years, they haven't been able to design a defense against Minovsky particle guns that won't slow down the MS considerably, or make it too expensive. It seems that even the Turn A Gundam (which I consider connected to the UC universe), that has Type FE armor, which sounds very advanced, could be destroyed by a more primitive weapon. Maybe their defenses just haven't advanced that much.
I don't know anything about the Turn A universe, but Fe is the chemical symbol for Iron
fizzmaister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 01:14   Link #23
artquest7@

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura
One thing I have been wondering about with regards to both UC and AC. Lunar Titanium, Gundarium and Gundanium are all manufactured under low-gravity conditions and turn out to be far more resistant to kinetic energy attack, like bullets, than metals produced under normal gravity. Is there a real-world scientific basis for this, and what would that be?
Popular science says that manufacturing metals in space is being looked into (right now its too expensive but businesses can dream right?). However they didn't say much about low gravity conidtions as much as that in non atmospheric conditions you don't have as many imperfections in the metal from air or corrosives. In space I think its possible to have more control over the conditions involved in manufacture and this is the main benifit of it.

Pop sci has a lot of cool info in it. Two years ago they said that car companies were working on a sensor system for cars that involved detecting whats in the road ahead and alterting the driver to the danger long before he/she arrived at the scene of the "possible accident" and if nessacary the sensor system/computer would apply the breaks for the driver to minimize the damage. While I was watching the superbowl on sunday I saw a commercial for an acura car with this very feature installed. Popular science is usually right.

So in conclusion I don't doubt that there is a real world scientific basis for gundarium being manufactured in space. Just like there being a "real world" basis for pink explosions in gundam. In space the explosions are pink because there are hydrogen isotopes used in the MS reactors. And hydrogen burns pink in outer space(no I haven't tested this one myself so I can't be %100 sure).
artquest7@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 09:11   Link #24
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

^Intriguing, intriguing.

By the way, Gundam technical details were never really my strong point, so... I understand about movable frames (I think), that stuff about having minimal armour and all the vital mechanisms being stored within, but I am not too clear on how monocoque and semi-monocoque frames differ.
What does it mean to have a monocoque frame, and how can a MS have a "semi" monocoque frame? Does the monocoque frame refer to the old style of MS construction, with the basic inner frame and the thick outer armour?
WarpObscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 20:39   Link #25
idofgrahf

Send a message via MSN to idofgrahf
There is also the possiblity that there is a fesable defense against engery weapons, but the cost would be too high to produce such an armor or shield, and why bother when all the other guy has to do is increase the intensity of the beam to break through it? Traditionally it has always been easier to produce and develop ever more destructive weapons then it is to develop more powerful armor. For example: there is no armor that would protect even the F-22 from destruction should it take a direct hit from a 20 year old SAM, but like the MS's hitting them would be another story.

Lacan/Grahf
idofgrahf is offline   Reply With Quote