AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2006-02-07, 11:31   Link #161
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofgrahf
Knight or no knight that still doesn't explain why saber is dressed so 1500-1800 ish,
Given that these servants haven't been brought across time, but instead based on souls of heros, there's no particular reason that they have to look identical to what they did in real life. If their appearance was based upon what they looked like when they died, shouldn't their armour come with built in slashes or whatever from how they were killed? And if you say their armour (or rather the spiritual version summoned) was repaired in advance, then why can't it be changed in advance. Besides, they're all tied to the Holy Grail. This is all magic based.

Going from a completely different angle, all the servants' armour/clothing style seems unified - particular the colouring. No real heros would have colour schemes like that - some of the colours just wouldn't be possible in the time periods. Maybe colour schemes are changed/adapted according to different masters?

Also, would all the servants look so young? (Well, Berserker is a tricky case) Some of them would have aged a bit before they died. So I guess the Holy Grail set them to their optimal age or something.

...Or, we could take things less seriously and say it's all because there's just one character designer and having appealing looking servants is more important than accurate looking servants (not that there's one definition of accurate looking legendary heros).
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 01:26   Link #162
idofgrahf

Send a message via MSN to idofgrahf
Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata
Given that these servants haven't been brought across time, but instead based on souls of heros, there's no particular reason that they have to look identical to what they did in real life. If their appearance was based upon what they looked like when they died, shouldn't their armour come with built in slashes or whatever from how they were killed? And if you say their armour (or rather the spiritual version summoned) was repaired in advance, then why can't it be changed in advance. Besides, they're all tied to the Holy Grail. This is all magic based.

Going from a completely different angle, all the servants' armour/clothing style seems unified - particular the colouring. No real heros would have colour schemes like that - some of the colours just wouldn't be possible in the time periods. Maybe colour schemes are changed/adapted according to different masters?

Also, would all the servants look so young? (Well, Berserker is a tricky case) Some of them would have aged a bit before they died. So I guess the Holy Grail set them to their optimal age or something.

...Or, we could take things less seriously and say it's all because there's just one character designer and having appealing looking servants is more important than accurate looking servants (not that there's one definition of accurate looking legendary heros).
Unless your saying that the holy Grail also changes the hero's sex, there is simply no way that saber could equal arthur. obvisouly the age of beserker is differecult to portray being a god does kind of grant you eternal life, as for Joan of Arc, I don't recall her dying as an old woman, 1412-1431 if I remmber correctly, she wasn't even 20 when she died. (If saber is Joan of Arc then the cloth is not that far fetched) as for the others we really don't know how long they lived so the age would be a guess, take lancer for example, he is from an irish legend so we don't know his age when he meet his demise, no do we know what type of cloth Hercules or lancer had during their life time.
As for their looks, save for actual historical figures its impossible to be accurate.

Lacan/Grahf
idofgrahf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 07:54   Link #163
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Here's a "what if" write up on various anime characters as Servants and their possible team up with the various characters from the 5th Grail War.

http://www.geocities.jp/nikorasu_456...ousakuhin.html

Quite an interesting and often humourous read.

Think of it :-

Edward Elric as Alchemist Class Servant.
Alucard (Hellsing) as Gunner Class Servant.
Grave (Gungrave) as Guardian Class Servant.

Of course, the most hilarious thing put up there is 『性欲の魔人』.......
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 09:49   Link #164
Varis
Composed Eccentric

Send a message via AIM to Varis Send a message via Yahoo to Varis
Idofgrahf, I don't think Saber can be Joan of Arc anyways. Joan never had a legendary sword and although passionate, was never a great warrior.

If the Grail changes their sex, it would be stupid. That does not make sense to me, although I can see where you are comming from.
The sword she uses does indeed seem likely to be Excalibur (or a version of it) and the holy grail story line would support her being Arthur or someone of that time. The lady of the lake perhaps? She gave him the sword after all, but I have no idea if she even knows how to use it =)

Also, there is the holy grail being the central point of the story and Saber apprently the "strongest" hero. With that sword, it's easy to link her to camelot.

Well... I honestly can't think of anyone... they are all freaking damsels in distress and stuff. All scary woman there are casters.

So yeah, I'm sticking to my theory that she is based off irish or norse mythology.

As for Caster and Rider... well those are very hard.

I give up on Caster, as there are soooo many powerful or famous woman with magical powers I don't know where to start.

Rider is easier. She has those weird square eyes and odder powers. She can't be a straight caster since there already is one so perhaps she is some mythological creature like the minotaur.

She is female so I'd guess Sphynx, a Harpy, Gorgon or perhaps a Mermaid.
Mermaid seems to be too nice though and squishy.
Varis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 20:36   Link #165
firegoat

actually joan of arc had a famous sword, the fierbois sword (as in saint catherine's), albiet it wasn't half as famous as arthur's excaliber.

this is a link was able to find by google (if you want to check):
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/musee.jeannedarc/sword.htm

speaking of joan, i think she might end up as saber after all, since she is the only europian knight(at least one who lived in that time) female that i heard of. at least one with a famous sword. however if i was to forget the fact that she is female i would rather choose king arthur as her identity as it does make more sense. that and joan would usually not actually use her sword in battles but mostly she would wield her banner.

on another character that appeared, rider i have to admit when i first saw her goggles thing (basicly hiding her vision) i thought she could be the medusa in greek mythology (the one who would turn people to stone just by looking at them). although i confess i thought of her since i was still reeling from the hercules/berserker thing. however if that's her real identity then her weakpoint is easy. but since i have no solid basis in which i based this hunch i wont argue about it.
firegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 18:53   Link #166
idofgrahf

Send a message via MSN to idofgrahf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varis
Idofgrahf, I don't think Saber can be Joan of Arc anyways. Joan never had a legendary sword and although passionate, was never a great warrior.

If the Grail changes their sex, it would be stupid. That does not make sense to me, although I can see where you are comming from.
The sword she uses does indeed seem likely to be Excalibur (or a version of it) and the holy grail story line would support her being Arthur or someone of that time. The lady of the lake perhaps? She gave him the sword after all, but I have no idea if she even knows how to use it =)

Also, there is the holy grail being the central point of the story and Saber apprently the "strongest" hero. With that sword, it's easy to link her to camelot.

Well... I honestly can't think of anyone... they are all freaking damsels in distress and stuff. All scary woman there are casters.

So yeah, I'm sticking to my theory that she is based off irish or norse mythology.
The thing is, we don't know exactly what Excalibur looks like, unless they have it on display somewhere, we won't know what sword saber is holding, and lady of the lake probably didn't know how to use Excalibur or why doesn't she simply keep it? If its not Joan, I would say Saber = some amazon woman (the queen perhaps?)

Lacan/Grahf
idofgrahf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 07:52   Link #167
Gladi

Missed several pages Disregard
Gladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-18, 12:02   Link #168
porchoky

Although saber's real weapon is probably the sword in the op/ending, we dont really know.... just throwing it out there. Plus shiro didn't summon her properly in the first place, i'm assuming that's why she has so little armor.
O yeah.... does it really do any good to know Beserker's identity? As far as I can remember, hercules didn't have many weaknesses....

Last edited by porchoky; 2006-02-18 at 12:16.
porchoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-18, 23:36   Link #169
ayyo

His death is enough of a weakness.
ayyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-20, 03:44   Link #170
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayyo
His death is enough of a weakness.
Hercules' weaknesses were arrogrance and infidelity. Together they brought him much suffering and eventually death.

I'm not really sure how that could be used against him though.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-24, 15:39   Link #171
firegoat

acyually you can use arrogance to your advantage (and thats by gauding the person into doing something stupid).

but is that really the case? when i first discovered it was hercules, i was , hah now we know his weak point. but after a while of thinking i realised what is his weakpoint. i mean usually you look at how the hero dies (for example achilles and his heel) but in the case of hercules all i can think is he is weak to centaur blood (aka poisen) and too trusting of his wife.
so now what? apply poisen to saber sword and hope she scratches him with it.

just reread my post and realised its contradicting nature *sheesh* i shouldnt write stuff just before sleeping.
firegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-25, 02:47   Link #172
Gladi

Bright day
Wasn't there a warrior woman in Legendary Ireland who teached others how to fight...? AFAIK Cuchulain was one of her students...
Old 2006-02-25, 02:56   Link #173
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladi
Bright day
Wasn't there a warrior woman in Legendary Ireland who teached others how to fight...? AFAIK Cuchulain was one of her students...
You mean Scáthach? Yes, that was explained as well in "Fate hollow/ataraxia"
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-25, 07:21   Link #174
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Welcome back everyone so nice to have the fourms back up and running. Im liking the idea of Sabre as King Arthur instead of Joan of Arc her armour does not match with the time period plus it is true that Joan of arc possesed a legendary swoard but she has no fighting skill she was like a figuer head to rally the people. So i would say that Saber is eiher King Arutur, Sir Galahad, or Sir Lancealot

I have found several wallpapers pf the servants on random sites i have 2 that really intrest me i didnt notice at the time so unfournetly i dont have to the site names and i am not able to upload a picture yet. These twon wallpapers show not 7 but 9 servants, does anyone know if there is a possiblity that there is more than 7 servants? if i find a way to show everyone the pics i will post again.
Old 2006-02-25, 07:27   Link #175
Gladi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
You mean Scáthach? Yes, that was explained as well in "Fate hollow/ataraxia"

*shrug* dunno. And I only get to see scanlated manga :/.

And there are also several warrior women in Slavic mythology... not so few warrior women after all...
Old 2006-03-01, 13:51   Link #176
deathgod1989

ahhmm..someone suggested to del it

Last edited by deathgod1989; 2006-03-01 at 22:18.
deathgod1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 16:43   Link #177
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegoat
actually joan of arc had a famous sword, the fierbois sword (as in saint catherine's), albiet it wasn't half as famous as arthur's excaliber.

this is a link was able to find by google (if you want to check):
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/musee.jeannedarc/sword.htm

speaking of joan, i think she might end up as saber after all, since she is the only europian knight(at least one who lived in that time) female that i heard of. at least one with a famous sword. however if i was to forget the fact that she is female i would rather choose king arthur as her identity as it does make more sense. that and joan would usually not actually use her sword in battles but mostly she would wield her banner.
Was Joan of Arc in fact a knight? Joan was a lot of things. She commanded an army while in her teens. She and her family were raised to the nobility in 1429, and she was canonized as a saint in 1920. She rose to her command because she convinced Charles and the theologins assigned to her case of her sincerity and the correctness of her cause. She believed she got her guidance from St. Catherine, St. Margaret, and the Archangel Michael, not from a knightly code.

Unlike many of the "heroes" we're dealing with in FSN, Joan is a historical figure. She was an important figure when she was a alive, and her life and exploits were documented. People wrote stuff down. Some of those documents have survived to this day. If she was knighted, I'd appreciate some sort of verification. A date or a year?
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 19:58   Link #178
deathgod1989

ive erased it

Last edited by deathgod1989; 2006-03-01 at 22:20.
Old 2006-03-01, 20:19   Link #179
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

That question was already asked in the Q&A thread and since it is a spoiler you shouldnt ask it in this thread

I pmed the answer to you so check your pms
demon_god04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 20:22   Link #180
deathgod1989

oh i see...tnx a lot