Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-08-08, 18:01   Link #381
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
Sad for Ika Musume, she can do better :/
Finishing ahead of Akiyama-dono is quite a feat by itself. Not to mention, Ika-chan invasion plan is bound to failed just b/c she didn't sign a contract to become a Mahou Shoujo. On the other hand, it's not like Madoka and Mami are ahead of Ika-chan by THAT much...(At least compare to how much Ako/Shizu finished ahead of Miborin)

Anyway, a 9-1-0 round with me having the 1st 9 girls on my vote. One last round before 2nd prelim. As strong as this group is, though, I can only picked 9 girls.

<<金色の闇@To LOVEる -とらぶる- ダークネス>> (Konjiki no Yami@To-Love-Ru Darkness)
<<ユイ@ソードアート・オンライン>> (Yui@Sword Art Online)
<<椎名真冬@生徒会の一存 Lv.2>> (Shiina Mafuyu@Seitokai no Ichizon Lv. 2)
<<北白川あんこ@たまこまーけっと>> (Kitashirakawa Anko@Tamako Market)
<<赤座あかり@ゆるゆり♪♪>> (Akaza Akari@Yuruyuri♪♪)
<<沖田紗羽@TARI TARI>> (Okita Sawa@Tari Tari)
<<舞牧麻衣(副部長)@変態王子と笑わない猫。>> (Maimaki Mai (Fukubuchou)@Hentai Ouji to Wararanai Neko.)
<<忍野忍(吸血鬼幼女)@猫物語(黒)>> (Oshino Shinobu (Young Vampire Girl)@Nekomonogatari (Kuro))
<<羽瀬川小鳩@僕は友達が少ないNEXT>> (Hasegawa Kobato@Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT) <- 小鳩ちゃんぺろぺろ
<<天江衣@咲-Saki- 阿知賀編 episode of side-A>> (Amae Koromo@Saki: Achiga-hen episode of side-A)

Should be a fight between Kodromo and Akarin for 1st place.
Old 2013-08-08, 20:11   Link #382
iamadooddood
NOM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbits View Post
Phew, that was close. I thought I'd have to deliver there for a while. So uh, what was that about GuP dominating this year? I can't see your tears of defeat from all the way over here on the podium.
What are you talking about, she got 101 votes. Nowhere near 72.

Hmm, given that Madoka and Saki both had the luxury to freely dominate a previous Saimoe against far weaker competition, they got the momentum from what I see. This is what GuP doesn't have compared to those 2, hence they're severely disadvantaged.

Godoka beating Mami... was only to be expected.

Anime Saimoe Tournament 2013 is screwed up. Everyone's argument is invalid.
Old 2013-08-08, 22:11   Link #383
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamadooddood View Post
What are you talking about, she got 101 votes. Nowhere near 72.

Hmm, given that Madoka and Saki both had the luxury to freely dominate a previous Saimoe against far weaker competition, they got the momentum from what I see. This is what GuP doesn't have compared to those 2, hence they're severely disadvantaged.
No offense, but that's pretty rich. Plenty of J-SaiMoe followers were predicting that being defending champs would hurt Madoka and Saki, hence helping to pave the way to GuP domination (which is what timbits is legitimately referring to). Now GuP is "severely disadvantaged" due to not having previous champion momentum on their side like Madoka and Saki do... lol. From one argument to its complete opposite.

Also, I don't really see how this year's competition is far stronger, aside from how both Madoka and Saki are in this. Last I checked, the only people to crack the 200-votes club in the prelims this year are Madoka girls, Saki girls, and Mori Summer. So, yeah, I'm not really seeing super-stiffer competition this year.

Quote:
Godoka beating Mami... was only to be expected.
Why? Mami defeated Madoka on the way to becoming J-SaiMoe 2011 Champion.

I don't particularly care who wins Madoka vs. Mami as I like both girls a lot, but I tend to view a match between them as a toss-up.
Old 2013-08-09, 00:27   Link #384
timbits
Harem Lead

Ok I have no idea what determines the popularities of the individual Madoka girls, because it just looks arbitrary at this point since Mami won against Madoka 2 years ago.

It's finally time. Now is our promised moment of glory, where our eternal protagonist Akari~n will lead us to victory against the evils of Saki. They shall tanoshii no more, but instead, our cries of victory will echo out over the battlefield: Akari~n! Akari~n! Akari~n!

...said timbits as he includes several Saki characters in his picks.
Spoiler for Prelims 1-16 Picks:

Today is Mafuyu's day. I BELIEVE. Do it for SeiZon Mafuyu, for great justice! Do it for the greatest harem anime ever conceived!
Old 2013-08-09, 03:14   Link #385
iamadooddood
NOM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
No offense, but that's pretty rich. Plenty of J-SaiMoe followers were predicting that being defending champs would hurt Madoka and Saki, hence helping to pave the way to GuP domination (which is what timbits is legitimately referring to). Now GuP is "severely disadvantaged" due to not having previous champion momentum on their side like Madoka and Saki do... lol. From one argument to its complete opposite.

Also, I don't really see how this year's competition is far stronger, aside from how both Madoka and Saki are in this. Last I checked, the only people to crack the 200-votes club in the prelims this year are Madoka girls, Saki girls, and Mori Summer. So, yeah, I'm not really seeing super-stiffer competition this year.
Pretty rich, yes (in fact, before Saimoe '13 started, I'd never have had this line of thought), but clearly that's what's happening right now. Of course, Saki having a ton of 2nd tier and 1st tier characters (the latter of which Madoka also has) helps a lot.

In another year, GuP might have dominated (yes, the competition I was referring to was Madoka and Saki). Now, they're forever going to be remembered as being inferior to Madoka and Saki (unless a next season, if any, becomes really awesome). This kind of thing tends to stick. For example, Saki might not have been the force it is now had Madoka been eligible for '12?

And mind that this momentum only really applies when the champion won by dominating like Madoka and Saki did, considering past history. And '11 Madoka didn't lose '12 by being dominated by Saki; they were simply ineligible. So the momentum ended up being carried over.

Quote:
Why? Mami defeated Madoka on the way to becoming J-SaiMoe 2011 Champion.

I don't particularly care who wins Madoka vs. Mami as I like both girls a lot, but I tend to view a match between them as a toss-up.
Exactly. Now Madoka's more likely to win than Mami, because Mami already won before. Unless of course I'm wrong and they want Mami to win twice... I don't know about you, but I'd find it unlikely.

And think about it. If there has to be a repeat champion series-wise, would most people (barring Madoka fans) rather have the girl who hasn't won yet, or the girl who won before? The latter case will mean that the series that was the first repeat champion would have the same girl win both times. Which do you think most voters (overall) would rather have?

Last edited by iamadooddood; 2013-08-09 at 05:20.
Old 2013-08-09, 06:30   Link #386
Subayai

Quote:
I really don't see how dominating a previous Saimoe could be an advantage to Saki or Madoka. If anything, it's more like the contrary, they are weakened because of it.

Saki and Madoka are not popular because they dominated; they dominated because they were popular. That popularity does not need to go away completely and immediately.

If Madoka had participated in 2012, maybe Saki would have not dominated or even won, but this would not diminish their present popularity. Some of Saki's characters were already popular in 2009 and 2010, before Madoka existed.

In the case of Saki, compare this year's performance with last year's preliminaries. With the notable exception of Ako's victory in Group 14, the results achieved by the other characters are not that impressive. Don't get me wrong they are still doing really well and some of their aces could progress very far into the tournament but they are also feeling the effects of last year's victory.

Finally, the reason GuP characters haven't performed as expected (so far at least) is very simple: they aren't as liked/popular as many of us thought they were. They are not "disadvantaged" by anything and certainly their performance has nothing to do with what other series did on previous years.
Old 2013-08-09, 07:09   Link #387
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subayai View Post
I really don't see how dominating a previous Saimoe could be an advantage to Saki or Madoka. If anything, it's more like the contrary, they are weakened because of it.

Saki and Madoka are not popular because they dominated; they dominated because they were popular. That popularity does not need to go away completely and immediately.

If Madoka had participated in 2012, maybe Saki would have not dominated or even won, but this would not diminish their present popularity. Some of Saki's characters were already popular in 2009 and 2010, before Madoka existed.

In the case of Saki, compare this year's performance with last year's preliminaries. With the notable exception of Ako's victory in Group 14, the results achieved by the other characters are not that impressive. Don't get me wrong they are still doing really well and some of their aces could progress very far into the tournament but they are also feeling the effects of last year's victory.

Finally, the reason GuP characters haven't performed as expected (so far at least) is very simple: they aren't as liked/popular as many of us thought they were. They are not "disadvantaged" by anything and certainly their performance has nothing to do with what other series did on previous years.
Agreed.

I can certainly understand why people thought that GuP would be a big deal in J-SaiMoe - Excellent DVD/Blu-Ray sales, all-girls show, generally cute and appealing character designs. But let's face it, they're not a big deal in J-SaiMoe. With that in mind, I agree with iamadooddood on at least one thing - Weak initial performance does tend to stick.

While anime shows that are popular in a general sense also tend to be popular in moe competitions (insofar as those shows have moe characters in them), there are always exceptions. Madoka Magica is one of the best-selling anime shows of all-time, but it has not done well in ISML. On the flip-side, Koreha Zombie Desuka? was not a particularly popular anime show, but Eucliwood Hellscythe has consistently been amongst the strongest ISML Girls since 2011.

On the J-SaiMoe side of things, many people once thought that IdolMaster would be a big deal (which would make sense for the same reasons as it would for GuP), but that never really materialized either.
Old 2013-08-09, 07:39   Link #388
chaosprophet

Results for Prelims 1 - Group 16
Spoiler for P1G16 Results:

Regarding the convo about Saki and Madoka previous domination helping them this year, I think it may be possible in light of the very reduced voter base. The number of votes have been decreasing every year now, and in that case fans of series that did that well as those two in recent years may have the extra incentive to continue voting this year.

Also no 1st place today huh

Last edited by chaosprophet; 2013-08-09 at 09:11.
Old 2013-08-09, 09:21   Link #389
iamadooddood
NOM.

Quote:

Said almost every voter before this Saimoe started.

Maybe I was not clear enough. To have positive momentum, you need to fulfill 2 criteria: (1) win, and (2) dominate all the way. If (1) is not fulfilled (i.e. you dominate all the way, but lose the final or something), that one I find it hard to call; it might depend on past records as well. If (2) is not fulfilled, then yes, they'll be weakened in subsequent years (and hence have negative momentum). But if both criteria are fulfilled, then it's a whole different ball game altogether, and what I've said before applies.

If Saki had not won '12, they'd have been known as the faction that "can dominate, but can't win". No longer.

Saki's Toki, the defending champion, won her group. You're saying that this is not a big deal? And Madoka (as a series) isn't looking any weaker than they were in '11 either.

For Saki and Madoka, they won their respective years not only because they were popular, but specifically because they were far more popular than their competition. Sure GuP is popular, but unfortunately, they're less popular than Saki and Madoka, so naturally they'll suffer.

Of course, their decreased performance could be attributed to their fans thinking "they'll win anyway, no need to vote seriously yet", which is what makes a champion: to not perform anywhere near 100% and still deliver (which is true especially in the early stages).

Quote:
Agreed.

I can certainly understand why people thought that GuP would be a big deal in J-SaiMoe - Excellent DVD/Blu-Ray sales, all-girls show, generally cute and appealing character designs. But let's face it, they're not a big deal in J-SaiMoe. With that in mind, I agree with iamadooddood on at least one thing - Weak initial performance does tend to stick.

While anime shows that are popular in a general sense also tend to be popular in moe competitions (insofar as those shows have moe characters in them), there are always exceptions. Madoka Magica is one of the best-selling anime shows of all-time, but it has not done well in ISML. On the flip-side, Koreha Zombie Desuka? was not a particularly popular anime show, but Eucliwood Hellscythe has consistently been amongst the strongest ISML Girls since 2011.

On the J-SaiMoe side of things, many people once thought that IdolMaster would be a big deal (which would make sense for the same reasons as it would for GuP), but that never really materialized either.
Point taken.

Anyone know the statistics for the Korea's Best Moe Tournament? If I'm not wrong there's another Saimoe-esque tournament that's in Chinese or something (held twice a year, once for winter/spring and once for summer/autumn)? Can someone help me check?

Old 2013-08-09, 11:04   Link #390
Subayai

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosprophet View Post
Regarding the convo about Saki and Madoka previous domination helping them this year, I think it may be possible in light of the very reduced voter base. The number of votes have been decreasing every year now, and in that case fans of series that did that well as those two in recent years may have the extra incentive to continue voting this year.
This is a fair point. If the reduced voter base means that it's mostly composed by Madoka and Saki fans from 2011 and 2012, the circumstances should favor these two series. But then, I wonder, these fans must have watched and liked new series in the meantime, right? Will they still vote for Madoka and Saki characters when they have to choose only one character per match in the main tournament? We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
I can certainly understand why people thought that GuP would be a big deal in J-SaiMoe - Excellent DVD/Blu-Ray sales, all-girls show, generally cute and appealing character designs.
Yes, I agree. I think that, based on these things, the appeal of its characters to Saimoe voters was overestimated. As you said, it happened with im@s too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamadooddood
For Saki and Madoka, they won their respective years not only because they were popular, but specifically because they were far more popular than their competition. Sure GuP is popular, but unfortunately, they're less popular than Saki and Madoka, so naturally they'll suffer.
I agree with this. If GuP were super popular like Madoka and Saki in their respective years, then they would dominate and probably even win this year. But they are not.

I just meant to say there's no need to invoke a "champion momentum" or anything to explain why a certain series is not performing as expected. There is a simpler explanation which you already posted here.
Old 2013-08-09, 11:14   Link #391
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Quote:
Results for Prelims 1 - Group 16
Spoiler for P1G16 Results:

Also no 1st place today huh
Erm...according to the RAW results, Amae Koromo was not in second place even if she's a joint-second.

2位 176票 清水谷竜華@咲-Saki- 阿知賀編 episode of side-A
2位 176票 天江衣@咲-Saki- 阿知賀編 episode of side-A

Anyway so sad that Koromo didn't managed to get first place D:

This time round most of my votes only qualified for Round 2 and not straight to the main round :/
Old 2013-08-09, 11:39   Link #392
iamadooddood
NOM.

Quote:
I agree with this. If GuP were super popular like Madoka and Saki in their respective years, then they would dominate and probably even win this year. But they are not.

I just meant to say there's no need to invoke a "champion momentum" or anything to explain why a certain series is not performing as expected. There is a simpler explanation which you already posted here.
You forgot one thing: the potential to be a dominating force like Madoka and Saki. Suppose Madoka and Saki weren't eligible for '13, and GuP dominated and won '13, and come '14, all 3 are eligible. What would happen is: all 3 would be on equal footing. This is what I meant by "momentum".

However as we know, this is not what happened... now the chance for GuP to be a major force like Madoka and Saki has been lost forever.

Last edited by iamadooddood; 2013-08-09 at 11:55.
Old 2013-08-09, 11:57   Link #393
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Makes me wonder if Akarin~ can get revenge this year.
Old 2013-08-09, 13:41   Link #394
ion475
にこにこにー

8-1-1 for this round. Overall record for 1st prelim is 115-31-14.

Statistic So Far (by series...I haven't do Seiyuu yet):
Saki - 26
GuP - 12
Yuruyuri - 10
Idolm@ster - 9
Lovelive! - 8
Railgun - 7 (NOTE: If Index and Railgun are counted together, they have 10 girls)
Hidamari Sketch - 6
Oreimo, Minami-ke, Little Busters, Ro-Kyu-Bu, Haganai NEXT, Yuyushiki, Hayate no Gotoku, MadoMagi - 5
To-Love-Ru, DAL, Joshiraku, SAO, Oda Nobuna no Yabou, Chuunikoi, Vividred Operation, Nekomonogatari - 4
Hataraku Maou-sama, Kore wa Zombie Desuka OTD, Oreshura, Oregairu, Tari Tari, Index, Seizon, Nyaruko W, Hanasaku Iroha - 3
Sakurasou, Inu x Boku SS, Sasami-san, Accel World, Oniai, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, Tamako Market, Henneko, Miyakawa-ke, Ika Musume - 2
Leviathan, Nakaimo, Hyouka, Chihayafuru, Kanon 100%, Kaminomi, Crime Edge, Teekyuu, Magi, Precure, Kotoura-san, Dog Days, Papakiki, Mondaiji, Milky Holmes, Maoyuu Maou-sama, Psycho Pass, Steins;Gate, Muromi-san, Sankarea, Shingeki no Kyojin, Gargantia, Detective Conan - 1
Old 2013-08-09, 21:34   Link #395
chaosprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanbeKotori View Post
Erm...according to the RAW results, Amae Koromo was not in second place even if she's a joint-second.

2位 176票 清水谷竜華@咲-Saki- 阿知賀編 episode of side-A
2位 176票 天江衣@咲-Saki- 阿知賀編 episode of side-A

Anyway so sad that Koromo didn't managed to get first place D:

This time round most of my votes only qualified for Round 2 and not straight to the main round :/
When there is a tie, it doesn't matter who is listed first, it's interchangeable. On theirs Koromo is listed second because whatever process they use to produce the results file ended with that order, and in my translation the process I use end up with a different order.
Old 2013-08-09, 22:05   Link #396
Team Rocket Elite

7-3-0

Spoiler for Preliminary 1-16 Results:

I'm hoping the characters I support do better in second preliminaries but I think they usually do worse.
Old 2013-08-10, 00:56   Link #397
timbits
Harem Lead

And so the curtain closes on first preliminaries with Akari~n's victory. Mafuyu sneaks by at 14th, which is incredibly bittersweet for me. On one hand that's a really disappointing performance by a former quarter finalist, on the other hand she did get in, which is relieving.

Let's have a look at my initial projections and how accurate they turned out to be, shall we?
Spoiler for timbits' Fail Predictions of Badness:

In total, 6/16. AND THAT'S WHY TIMBITS NEVER WINS FANTASY SAIMOE. Be right back crawling into hole in ground.
Old 2013-08-10, 02:17   Link #398
iamadooddood
NOM.

You hit the nail for half of the first 10... and then only one of the last 6. Ouch.

Good thing I'm more of a neutral (ABS though). I'd never have gotten 6 right.

Old 2013-08-10, 05:10   Link #399
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Quote:
When there is a tie, it doesn't matter who is listed first, it's interchangeable. On theirs Koromo is listed second because whatever process they use to produce the results file ended with that order, and in my translation the process I use end up with a different order.
Ah. I thought you'll translate it according to the finalised results.

Quote:
Good thing I'm more of a neutral (ABS though). I'd never have gotten 6 right.
I'm more of a neutral too (NBS though)
Old 2013-08-10, 08:26   Link #400
chaosprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanbeKotori View Post
Ah. I thought you'll translate it according to the finalised results.
I do, but during the process I do sort the values back and forth so it's possible a tied chara order may not be the same on the final result. But of course, if that was something that mattered, then I would use a way that wouldn't change that order. But for most of saimoe, there is no such a thing as tiebreak, if there is a tie then all tied get the same fate (both advance, etc).

Tags
2013, anime saimoe tournament, saimoe, tournament