Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-08-16, 04:26   Link #321
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I don't see what either of them see in the other, to be honest. Which is hardly a good basis for buy-in to a fictional relationship. The more the series focuses on Lucy/Hasebe and general office hijinks the better.
I wouldn't be surprised if some of Chihaya's feelings stem from her hobbies. For an attractive woman who runs around cosplaying and making cosplay wear, I feel like her options would be pretty limited. Especially at her age. From what's been said she's not actually supposed to be cosplaying while working there. Plus he is a genuinely nice and responsible guy, even if he is completely oblivious to Chihaya's feelings and then some (though frankly, who isn't?) The most important thing to me is that she's a bit eccentric, with an unusual way of thinking, so I don't think it's that surprising she'd like a guy like him.

Edit: Also, I'm reminded that the implication from this episode is that Chihaya must be quite lonely. She apparently spends more time at Ichimiya's house than Toko does...

It's more confusing to me why he likes her. I guess the most obvious answer is that she asked him out, therefore he's interested in her. But there has to be more to it than that. It seems to me that answering these questions about their relationship will have to wait until they tell us how it happened in the first place.

Tanaka's Grandson turns out to be, er, a responsible banker? I expected him to be something horrible, but it turns out he's exactly as advertised. His reaction to Hasebe was, however, my biggest "wait, what?" moment thus far. He's quite athletic!

It's hard to decide which cracked me up more, Tanaka's desk vault or Chihaya's BL comment.
Old 2013-08-16, 05:51   Link #322
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if some of Chihaya's feelings stem from her hobbies. For an attractive woman who runs around cosplaying and making cosplay wear, I feel like her options would be pretty limited. Especially at her age. From what's been said she's not actually supposed to be cosplaying while working there. Plus he is a genuinely nice and responsible guy, even if he is completely oblivious to Chihaya's feelings and then some (though frankly, who isn't?) The most important thing to me is that she's a bit eccentric, with an unusual way of thinking, so I don't think it's that surprising she'd like a guy like him.

Edit: Also, I'm reminded that the implication from this episode is that Chihaya must be quite lonely. She apparently spends more time at Ichimiya's house than Toko does...

It's more confusing to me why he likes her. I guess the most obvious answer is that she asked him out, therefore he's interested in her. But there has to be more to it than that. It seems to me that answering these questions about their relationship will have to wait until they tell us how it happened in the first place.

Tanaka's Grandson turns out to be, er, a responsible banker? I expected him to be something horrible, but it turns out he's exactly as advertised. His reaction to Hasebe was, however, my biggest "wait, what?" moment thus far. He's quite athletic!

It's hard to decide which cracked me up more, Tanaka's desk vault or Chihaya's BL comment.
I wouldn't think too hard on it for now, I expect some kind of backstory for both Chihaya and Ichimiya to show how it all got started.

Though if "Working!!" was any indication, it'll be a LONG time up till they could sort out their feelings

EDIT:

I think Ichimiya genuinely wants his relationship with Chihaya to work, but is unsure of how to go about it, so he naturally falls back on his usual routine but ends up ticking her off in the process

I don't think this is bad though, it's interesting to see in an Anime how people work through their relationship problems instead of just playing the break-up-get-back drama

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2013-08-16 at 06:06.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 06:42   Link #323
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

After watching this anime, I have to wonder what Chihaya sees in Ichimiya. It's a bit irritating to see them together. It seems that Hasebe is the main highlight of the series. For me I have to say it's Chihaya with her emotionless expression and top notch manipulating that keeps me watching this.
Old 2013-08-16, 06:52   Link #324
ustatsu

So is Chihaya always so annoyed of Hasebe and his womanizer characteristics because she actually wants Ichimiya to be more confident and direct like him in their relationship?
ustatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 07:10   Link #325
Arkeus

So, Ichimaya and Hasebe are getting more and more boring....

At least we have Chihaya and Lucy and that girl who gets assaulted by old grandma.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 07:24   Link #326
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I pity Chihaya. She may tease him a lot, but she's been very patient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I really can't pity him much. He's a really nice guy, but he really needs to grow a spine.
Chihaya has her own quirks, but she really is being patient for him, even though she clearly wants her own place in his life.

Though I can understand Ichimiya caring a lot about Tohko - it'd seem they're orphans, and he's got to play the role of the surrogate parent - he can't let that prevent him from finding his own happiness. He really should tell her Chihaya and him are in a relationship, instead of hiding that from her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Faith View Post
Really? I pity Chihaya instead. She may have a bit of a difficult personality, but I think she's been extremely patient regarding Ichimiya's spinelessness.
I can understand how frustrating it must be for her when he doesn't drop the co-worker act even when they're alone.

...That said, I could watch their antics all day. Her reactions are especially humorous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Like few in this thread, my sentiment is also the exact opposite. Why Chihaya still wants to be with him is beyond me. This episode made me want to bitch-slap him so much. If this was Agatha Christie novel, he would have been poisoned, stabbed, shot, pushed off a cliff, ran over by a car, and etc in no particular order. This is one annoying fellow who somehow is getting lucky with the women in his life for inconceivable reasons. He is like one of those harem heroes who is getting the girls for the lolz. That grandma who is trying to fix her grandson with Miyoshi is also annoying. Fortunately Hasebe and Lucy were in the episode to make things lighter once again.
There's a very simple reason I can't pity Chihaya: she was the one who asked him out. You can tell at first glance that Ichimiya is spineless, so you can't say she had no idea what she was in for. She is still interested in him in spite of this, so she either has to accept that side of him or try to help him change. It doesn't seem like she is doing either. She is clearly very annoyed by his attitude at times, but instead of telling him what bothers her so that he can better himself, she sends him extremely mixed messages leaving him completely confused as to what he did wrong. That just makes things worse. Ichimiya seems to be willing to make efforts but he needs guidance. Their relationship is never going to progress this way and it's partly her fault for remaining passive, so I can't feel too bad for her. Of course Ichimiya is also at fault for being so spineless, but as I said, she already knew about that before she started going out with him so she can't complain about it now (actually she could and should complain if it frustrates her, the problem is that she doesn't). Now I agree she's been extremely patient and that's commendable, but patience is not what is needed here.

I pity Ichimiya more because he's the underdog of the relationship. Chihaya holds all the power. He sometimes reminds me of a helpless little puppy.

With all of that said, Chihaya is actually my favorite character in the show. A woman like her would drive me nuts in real life but I love her personality.
Old 2013-08-16, 08:23   Link #327
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Actually, she told him straight up. No mind games, no subtle innuendos... She told him she wants him to tell her he loves her, and she told him she wants him to stop treating their relationship like some terribly shameful secret that'll spell the end of the world if it's found out. (She's not even asking to make it public. Just for him to be a bit less scared of discovery when they're alone together.)

If he does that, and she still isn't satisfied, then maybe we can talk about the ways she's wronged him. But so far, as I said, she's the one that's been more patient than he deserves.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 09:30   Link #328
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Actually, she told him straight up. No mind games, no subtle innuendos... She told him she wants him to tell her he loves her, and she told him she wants him to stop treating their relationship like some terribly shameful secret that'll spell the end of the world if it's found out. (She's not even asking to make it public. Just for him to be a bit less scared of discovery when they're alone together.)

If he does that, and she still isn't satisfied, then maybe we can talk about the ways she's wronged him. But so far, as I said, she's the one that's been more patient than he deserves.
That's not good enough. She's only scratching the real issue. I think she is too patient, actually. She should in fact ask him to make their relationship public. That would solve most of her troubles.

She also needs to scold him more. When he asked her if he did anything wrong in this episode, she denied it. She should have told have him straight up it pisses her off to have him act like he does at work. Similarly, she should have explained why she was mad he accepted to do overtime. It's obvious for us but Ichimiya is pretty damn dense... as long as he doesn't understand what he does wrong, nothing will change.

The teasing is probably no good either. Cosplaying as his sister or forcing his sister to cosplay is not exactly the best way to get her message across. I don't want her to change that though. That's part of what makes her so fun.
Old 2013-08-16, 10:38   Link #329
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That's not good enough. She's only scratching the real issue. I think she is too patient, actually. She should in fact ask him to make their relationship public. That would solve most of her troubles.
Maybe, but since I don't think the issue is the secrecy, I don't think it's necessary. The problem is one of commitment. She's insecure about whether he wants to be with her or not. So, baby steps to reassure her would be fine.

Quote:
She also needs to scold him more. When he asked her if he did anything wrong in this episode, she denied it. She should have told have him straight up it pisses her off to have him act like he does at work. Similarly, she should have explained why she was mad he accepted to do overtime. It's obvious for us but Ichimiya is pretty damn dense... as long as he doesn't understand what he does wrong, nothing will change.
You could tell, at his hesitation before accepting, and his sweating bullets when he saw her just after, that he knew damn well what he did wrong.

Quote:
The teasing is probably no good either. Cosplaying as his sister or forcing his sister to cosplay is not exactly the best way to get her message across. I don't want her to change that though. That's part of what makes her so fun.
I don't think there's any message in her making Toko cosplay. That's just the sort of thing she likes to do. As for her own cosplay... it wasn't so much a message as an attempt to entice him. In case he actually had a schoolgirl fetish.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 10:44   Link #330
Sumeragi
Banned

I believe people are thinking too much into this.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 12:34   Link #331
finalfury
Incognito

Ichimiya-san needs to ask Chihaya-san on a date ASAP. I do wonder how Chihaya-san would react if Ichimiya-san started to become more like Hasebe.
Ichimiya-san is stuck between a rock and a hard place and I find that his sincerity to be his most detrimental trait.
Personally, I can relate to Chihaya-san better since her relationship with Ichimiya is something I'm familiar with and I gotta praise that woman for having that much patience with him.

Last edited by finalfury; 2013-08-16 at 12:55.
finalfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 13:41   Link #332
HandofFate

I forget, was it Chihaya or Ichimiya that wanted to keep the relationship secret in the office.
I remember in the first scene of them together, it seemed it like Ichimiya was going to let it slip, but Chihaya gave him a look, and he stopped. So I thought it was her that wanted to keep their relationship a secret.

Or maybe, she wants him to actually have a spine to say "nah, I want people to know we're going out" or something. Seems she doesn't mind if Toko found out though, she just wants Ichimiya to be the one take the lead.

In a way, while Chihaya has been very patient, she doesn't do much other than glare and get irrated at Ichimiya without saying anything. So he doesn't really know why she's mad and is just complacent with things because he doesn't know what she wants.

Chihaya's annoyance at Hasabe a bit more clear why now lol. I do think she wishes Ichi was as direct and assertive a little bit.

Episode overall was good, everyone in the cast got some screentime this episode.
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 14:29   Link #333
Humble Loser
Spineless Main Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Definitions are flexible. I don't consider China as part of East Asia.
Then what do you consider it? I'm genuinely curious.
Humble Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 16:34   Link #334
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Loser View Post
Then what do you consider it? I'm genuinely curious.
Japan, Korea, Manchuria (inner and outer), Karafuto (Sakhalin), Chishima (Kuriles).
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 20:49   Link #335
Ridwan

Seeing people like Hasebe and Chihaya having crush on idiots both give me good laugh and send me into deep thinking...

Quote:
Japan, Korea, Manchuria (inner and outer), Karafuto (Sakhalin), Chishima (Kuriles).
We all hate the People's Republic, Sumeragi, but that geography is just weird.
Old 2013-08-16, 21:05   Link #336
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

So thats Tanaka grandson and Chihaya just walk around with cosplay costumes
Old 2013-08-16, 21:24   Link #337
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Here's a rough of what East Asia looks like (Without mucking about with "historical borders" on Manchuria or really mucking about much at all).
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Is that about right?

I agree though, we probably are looking way too far into this relationship for what's been given. It's clear however that he needs to stop calling her Chihaya if he intends to survive to the last episode.
Old 2013-08-16, 21:59   Link #338
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I want to be like Chihaya when I grow up.

She is now my favorite female character in this series. I still love Lucy(and ship her and Hasebe like mad) but Lucy's emerging more and more as a complete idiot
Old 2013-08-16, 22:04   Link #339
Ridwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
I still love Lucy(and ship her and Hasebe like mad) but Lucy's emerging more and more as a complete idiot
She's still better then Yachiyo though. At least you know Lucy will grow out of it.
Old 2013-08-17, 01:02   Link #340
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post
She's still better then Yachiyo though. At least you know Lucy will grow out of it.
Well, in Yachiyo's case, Satou was extremely shy about his own feelings for her. However, despite that, there was a point in which she thought Satou liked her, until Satou lied to her saying he saw "a ghost behind her".

In Lucy's case, Hasebe couldn't be any more overt about how he feels for her.

Tags
comedy, seinen