Notices

Old 2013-09-03, 04:34   Link #321
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I'm... detecting Kaisei death flags.
That would be totally horrible. After seeing her cuteness, all her purpose was to be eaten?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 16:27   Link #322
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I thought the same at first, but her apology makes me think there might be some other reason why she hates Benten.
I thought her apology was more wistful, that she's sorry Yasaburou doesn't find her attractive like Benten. It's rooted in jealousy, but not in hatred.

Alternatively she might be musing over the rise of her family, whom she apparently generally dislikes, and the fall of the Shimogamo clan. Remember that Kaisei and the mother apparently had a warm relationship until Kaisei's father intervened.

Of course, she could also be apologizing in advance for what she knows is supposed to happen if the Ebusigawa's plan comes to fruition.

Man, they have a lot of bars of soap in that bathhouse, especially considering the number of patrons!

This is another show this season with an excellent score. Uchoten Kazoku is only the third anime that Fujisawa Yoshiaki has worked on according to ANN. At 32, perhaps he has been composing for other media up until now.

There was something weird about raccoon dogs eating KFC. According to this, they mostly eat small rodents, nuts, and berries, though apparently they have taken to scavenging garbage bins as well.

Kawaii! The one on the left could easily be Shimogamo okasan though she'd need the epaulettes.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-09-06 at 16:39.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 22:08   Link #323
SeaDoor

This series has now placed so many characters in play with differing motivations that it is impossible for me to "see the ending." The presentation has such a strong feeling of whimsy that any idea I can come up with just seems too pedestrian. I look forward to see how they wrap up or if they bother. It's been a fun ride so far.
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-07, 06:39   Link #324
Kirarakim

Aww look at those Tanuki
Old 2013-09-08, 10:49   Link #325
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Blargh. I was giving Benten the benefit of the doubt that she caught Papa under coercion from Uncle or something like that (being that she regrets her actions to this day), but after this episode I hold no sympathy whatever, as she was totally ruthless on her actions.

I can't even celebrate Yasaburo thinking so much of Kaisei, to the point where he is talking like Yajirou (who we know loved Kaisei). I dunno, I just felt totally betrayed by Benten.

On another note, going by the description of "being roused day or night for any trouble, having to take charge manner of all things", isn't that what Yasaburo been doing all series long? It seems at least to me he is the most suited for the job, and going by last episode where it seems the younger Yasaburo touching the stone, they're pretty much setting him up as the next true Nise-emon.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 11:25   Link #326
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Soun is pure evil. First his brother, now his nephews. The situation is looking pretty desperate right now. The only person I can think of who could save the day is Benten. It would be a good way for her to redeem herself. The only way. There is still Yajirou too, but it doesn't seem very likely he will be able to get out of his well.
Old 2013-09-08, 13:29   Link #327
Kirarakim

This episode was difficult to watch. Still I feel this series will have an uplifting ending, mainly because of who the protagonist is. I have faith.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2013-09-08 at 20:37.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 14:19   Link #328
Breimoon

hope for Benten and Soun death flag...... Was thinking Benten was forced to eat mc's father but to think herself captured him with a trap!! AH , and after that the two idiotic brother too should go to hell.
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 16:56   Link #329
Puu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I'm... detecting Kaisei death flags.
I'm personally hoping for this. As cute as she is, her death might be the worst punishment for Soun. If he dies, he's basically the only one suffering, but if he loses something that matters to him then all the better.

Also, as much as Benten became despicable this episode, I almost wonder if this is her way of protecting Yasaburo. Sacrifice a random raccoon (who, unfortunately for her, ends up being Yasaburo's sacrifice) to ensure Yasaburo and family never end up being hotpot.....

But yeah, what a shitty man that little bro is. No wonder the dad let himself be hotpot. I get a feeling he's always treasured family above all and to find out his little bro hated him enough to put him to hotpot probably made him miserable as whoa.
Puu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 19:23   Link #330
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

So basically we've now seen everyone's version of events except for Benten's. I'm sure it's just as complicated as the other flashbacks. She's still a fascinating character, and I don't think it's as simple as her being cold hearted. What is interesting is that she's called a Tengu again. Also interesting is that only herself, the professor, and Souichiro have used her human name, and only in the past. Everyone else calls her Benten.

As for deaths, I'm not seeing it. Flags raised, to be sure, but I think the only death in the story will be Souichiro. I do expect Soun's plan to backfire dramatically, because his power was only gained by his brothers death, and his brothers children are capable enough to wrest his power back. If Tanuki society discovered the truth behind Souichiro's death, that would be the end of the Ebisugawa's family. It's one thing to be captured by your own folly or desire, but being sold out by one of your own is just not cool.

What I love about this show is how complicated and tangled these characters are, while still being straightforward and realistic about it. No convoluted or over played angst, no forced drama, no vague dialogue or plot elements for the sake of forced emotions. It just is what it is. Simply put, the quality of writing in this show is beyond superb.
Old 2013-09-08, 20:02   Link #331
Kenn
Stomp

Argh that Soun! The Ebisugawa family is pretty much done for if that his conspiracy is revealed.

Not seeing any flags go up for the Shimogamo family. It'd leave a bad taste if tragedy struck again for the family. At the same time, I don't see Yasaburo giving Soun to the FF either. Gut feeling is that Benten has something planned that'll throw both Soun and the FF into disarray.

http://k625.blogspot.com/ - Kenn's blog of random everythings
Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 21:00   Link #332
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Blargh. I was giving Benten the benefit of the doubt that she caught Papa under coercion from Uncle or something like that (being that she regrets her actions to this day), but after this episode I hold no sympathy whatever, as she was totally ruthless on her actions.
Wasn't she always like that, really? The key event is still the prank she played with Yasaburo on Akadama sensei (which resulted in his loss of power, as photo shop tengu pointed out). She's been portrayed as scheming from the start. The question I can't seem to answer is what she wants. Why would she want to join the Friday Fellows in the first place? That doesn't fit her character, from what we've seen. Something more is going on.

Quote:
I can't even celebrate Yasaburo thinking so much of Kaisei, to the point where he is talking like Yajirou (who we know loved Kaisei). I dunno, I just felt totally betrayed by Benten.
Another entry in the childhood friend list?

Quote:
On another note, going by the description of "being roused day or night for any trouble, having to take charge manner of all things", isn't that what Yasaburo been doing all series long? It seems at least to me he is the most suited for the job, and going by last episode where it seems the younger Yasaburo touching the stone, they're pretty much setting him up as the next true Nise-emon.
That's how they set him up from the get-go. He's also talking to everybody - tengu and humans included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Soun is pure evil. First his brother, now his nephews. The situation is looking pretty desperate right now. The only person I can think of who could save the day is Benten. It would be a good way for her to redeem herself. The only way. There is still Yajirou too, but it doesn't seem very likely he will be able to get out of his well.
One thing that might sense is for Benten telling Yajirou everything and then sit back and watch the "fireworks". Remember: Yajirou is in the well because he feels responsible. Who knows who he will react if he learns the truth. All bets are off. I can even imagine a berserk tanuki who has to be restrained by the power familial bonds.

Then, I sort of think that Yashirou might escape, since I don't see why else they would have shown him look around in that shed near the end of the episode. None of the other tanuki (Yaichirou, mum) were shown after being captured.

Next, it might be a good place to point out that the core situation between Soun and Souichiro seems to have been rivalry for a tanuki girl (mum, most likely). Doesn't that sort of resemble Yajirou/Yasaburo? I can't help but think that's going to be important. Some sort of epiphany in waiting for Soun?

And finally, I find it suspicious that we haven't yet seen the guy who's responsible for enfourcing the tanuki hotpot situation. I think that Soun might be even more messed up than we realise right now. Not only sold out, but joined in the eating. The Friday Fellows duped into being an execution squad for an alienated tanuki who has nothing left to live for, but power. I hope I'm not right. This thought sends shivers down spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puu View Post
Also, as much as Benten became despicable this episode, I almost wonder if this is her way of protecting Yasaburo. Sacrifice a random raccoon (who, unfortunately for her, ends up being Yasaburo's sacrifice) to ensure Yasaburo and family never end up being hotpot.....

But yeah, what a shitty man that little bro is. No wonder the dad let himself be hotpot. I get a feeling he's always treasured family above all and to find out his little bro hated him enough to put him to hotpot probably made him miserable as whoa.
Family is an important theme in this show, and I can't help but thinking that applies to Benten, too:

She's been abducted by a Tengu who then treats her like family. I'd bet she never took to that, but at the same time she can't ever go back home again.

If you don't feel connected, all you can do is take what life deals you... or take charge. I think that, in different ways, this applies to both Benten and Soun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
What I love about this show is how complicated and tangled these characters are, while still being straightforward and realistic about it. No convoluted or over played angst, no forced drama, no vague dialogue or plot elements for the sake of forced emotions. It just is what it is. Simply put, the quality of writing in this show is beyond superb.
Absolutely. Writing's been a hobby of mine for thirty years now: I stand in awe.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 21:20   Link #333
dx349

Cool benten cruel love

benten is deeply in love with yashomaru but he is fiance kaise ...so in oder to break his engagement benten plots cooking of father so that she could get what she wants.in the end she is left with misery of her decision
dx349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 21:39   Link #334
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

My mouth is still open.

Had a feeling that the uncle was involved all along....that wasn't a surprise. But....then I was seriously 'HOLY SHIT ALL OF THE FAMILY CAPTURED?!' The Uncle is a troll worthy of a shonen.

I hope no one dies, but I agree with everyone else...that it's either going to be Kaisei or hopefully the uncle. The E brothers are too stupid to actually succeed.

Otherwise, at this point? It's anybody's guess. All that's left is Benten's and the uncle's POV, I guess.
Old 2013-09-08, 21:44   Link #335
sikvod00

Let's not forget Akadama-sensei. I'm certain he's going to get involved somehow, especially considering that his best friend was already eaten by the Friday Fellows.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 22:30   Link #336
Puu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
Let's not forget Akadama-sensei. I'm certain he's going to get involved somehow, especially considering that his best friend was already eaten by the Friday Fellows.
Oh now that you mention it, Benten's tears may not be for Yasaburo or for any of the raccoons. Some part of her might actually still enjoy the high regard Akadama-sensei puts her on. I imagine that won't last when he finds out she fed his best friend to the Friday Fellows.
Puu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 23:05   Link #337
Used Can

Holy shit... I hope Souun, his 2 sons and Benten die horrible deaths.
I swear... there's only so much evil you can do out of personal issues, but those 3 are huge bastards.
Old 2013-09-09, 02:32   Link #338
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

The fact that Benten did all this probably had something to do with the fact that she was FUCKING kidnapped by a Tengu.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 02:52   Link #339
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

hmm, there's something more to this i'm sure, or else benten is one of the most cruel and evil antagonist (villainess?) i've seen in any series.

you just don't see that kind of scheme coming from a girl portrayed as the love interest of the protagonist.

and they haven't resolved everything, there's still the fact that benten goes to the well, sits there and cries when no one's watching.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 05:44   Link #340
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
The fact that Benten did all this probably had something to do with the fact that she was FUCKING kidnapped by a Tengu.
Oh, come on. Please don't take this personally, but let's drop the white-knighting, okay?
I'm sure being kidnapped sucks, but that doesn't justify anything she's done.
Either she has some ulterior good motive (which I just can't see right now), or she's simply lashing out to the world, because bad things happened to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
you just don't see that kind of scheme coming from a girl portrayed as the love interest of the protagonist.
Benten was always was a femme fatale. The story always made it clear that, by being around her, Yasaburou has been playing with fire.
It's always been an unhealthy crush.

Tags
p.a. works