raion

The real enemy
Spoiler for Something about episode 25:
raion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 10:01   Link #222
ArmisaelXVIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
^ Not really, their problem is that they read the manga and couldn't handle how different from the anime approach it was, not because it was over-the-top (edit : though the over-the-top-ness in itself is one of those different approaches, I'll give you that).
I completely agree with this. If this was the other way around we'd have a lot people complaining about the changes done in the manga distort the anime.

However I've to admit that there are many valid points there but they are not that important. After reading some comments it feels like the changes completely a utterly destroyed the series. xD

By the way, probably all those comparisons with the manga should go in spoiler tags; I don't mind them, but there might be someone who does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raion View Post
The real enemy
Spoiler for Something about episode 25:
Spoiler for About the walls:

Last edited by ArmisaelXVIII; 2013-09-29 at 10:13. Reason: Avoid double posting
ArmisaelXVIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 10:06   Link #223
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I thought it was was a thrilling finale but incredibly unsatisfying considering how much more there must be to the story but all i can see from the comments is how much it's different from the manga so I decided to check the manga version out: In all honesty, I prefer the anime version better for three main reasons:
1) Anime Eren puts up a better fight: Let's face it, Manga Eren gets his arse handed to him. For someone like me who's been eagerly anticipating a rematch, that would have been incredibly disappointing.
2) I don't think I could have reconciled a calmer Eren smashing Annie into a building full of people. If the show is to make a big deal about Erwin knowingly accepting the price of collateral damage, then it ought to at least make Eren acknowledge that as well since it was mostly his fault. Neither the anime nor the manga actually addresses this but at least in the anime it's easier to take if Eren is berserk again.
3) I think his hesitation in killing Annie and subsequent talk with Mikasa about what it's like to be Titan added some much needed depth to his character. I think it's highly interesting to know what being a Titan is like and how it can affect you so I think that was an interesting dimension added to his character.

I do however think the reveal that Titans are in the wall definitely had more impact in the manga.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 10:07   Link #224
Snow White
★ Starlight Breaker ★

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Isn't the manga progressing at like one chapter a month? That means one volume every half year or so. The anime finished volume 8 from what I can gather, the and manga is at volume 11, meaning that it'll be another 2.5 years or so before there is enough material (i.e. vol. 16) for S2. This is gonna suck.
Unless they decide to make the second season only one cour (12-13 episodes), in which we already have enough material to be adapted.
Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 10:12   Link #225
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmisaelXVIII View Post
I completely agree with this. If this was the other way around we'd have a lot people complaining about the changes done in the manga distort the anime.
Hmm, when I read this post I suddenly realized that I formulated that sentence wrong. It should have been.
Quote:
their problem is that they read the manga and couldn't handle how different from it (the manga) the anime approach was
My first post make it sound like the problem is the manga.
Old 2013-09-29, 10:20   Link #226
chi4ko
Astronaut

WHY SO SOON?! So many questions remained unanswered and no second season in sight so far!

So the stupid question time! I'm not sure if it was discussed before, but bear with me.
Why did Erwin's plan involve arresting Annie in the city if so many lives could be (and were) lost? He basically decided to genocide the entire town! Wouldn't it be a better choice to capture her in her sleep/involve her higher-ups to send her to a less populated area on an errand and then capture her? So does the whole deal make Erwin a really ruthless man? Or was it his intention to once more present Eren as the saviour to the masses?
chi4ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 10:23   Link #227
Winterson
Wrath of Her Fury

Spoiler for Nothing much of a spoiler but a superficial reaction:
Old 2013-09-29, 10:25   Link #228
desrtsku
Nympholept

By Armin Arlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi4ko View Post
So the stupid question time! I'm not sure if it was discussed before, but bear with me.
Why did Erwin's plan involve arresting Annie in the city if so many lives could be (and were) lost? He basically decided to genocide the entire town! Wouldn't it be a better choice to capture her in her sleep/involve her higher-ups to send her to a less populated area on an errand and then capture her? So does the whole deal make Erwin a really ruthless man? Or was it his intention to once more present Eren as the saviour to the masses?
I you really want to achieve something great, you need to make sacrifices.
What are you ready to sacrifice in order to capture the female titan, chi4ko?
Old 2013-09-29, 10:26   Link #229
ScudFace

I believe the anime format demanded the changes that were made to the story. This is the final episode of the season which meant the accumulated trials, tragedies, emotions which have been built up over the season must have at least some sort of catharsis. Eren having his ass handed to him as per the manga would have failed to give this season a satisfying end from a story telling POV.
BTW, did anyone else get some serious evangelion vibes from the way eren entered berserker mode? That and erwin doing a commander ikari impersonation on the bridge.
ScudFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 10:35   Link #230
kitten320

Erwin clearly did bad job there. Eren alone killed more than Annie in just one episode.

And he was not even in berserk mode yet. Eren went Berserk after Annie smashed his face in and went for the wall. Until then Eren was fully sane and simply ended up destroying everything in his way. It is especially noticeable right after the scene with church.

Annie rushed to an open area, sees people and changes the course and just keeps running to another open area.
Then comes Eren and randomly destroys a tower that wasn't even in his way.

He throws Annie on the buildings and smashes through them without a care.

Annie on the other hand switched Eren off in one hit and destroyed only part of one building.
Second building she destroyed is in open area when she had to finally stop and turn around to face Eren. She used it as momentum for a stop.

Annie literally destroyed only 2 buildings in whole episode and in both cases it was a needed action.
a) To stop and face Eren before he snaps her neck from behind
b) To effectively stop Eren from moving in near future which she did succeed in manga. Eren never caught up with her.

I'm sorry, but Eren came far more as an ass in this episode than Annie. Doesn't help that he never actually seemed to regret any of that.
And he is an MC!
Old 2013-09-29, 10:43   Link #231
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Erwin clearly did bad job there. Eren alone killed more than Annie in just one episode.

And he was not even in berserk mode yet. Eren went Berserk after Annie smashed his face in and went for the wall. Until then Eren was fully sane and simply ended up destroying everything in his way. It is especially noticeable right after the scene with church.

Annie rushed to an open area, sees people and changes the course and just keeps running to another open area.

Annie on the other hand switched Eren off in one hit and destroyed only part of one building.
Second building she destroyed is in open area when she had to finally stop and turn around to face Eren. She used it as momentum for a stop.

Annie literally destroyed only 2 buildings in whole episode and in both cases it was a needed action.
b) To effectively stop Eren from moving in near future which she did succeed in manga. Eren never caught up with her.

I'm sorry, but Eren came far more as an ass in this episode than Annie. Doesn't help that he never actually seemed to regret any of that.
And he is an MC!
You just opened Pandora's Box XD This should be fun
Old 2013-09-29, 10:44   Link #232
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi4ko View Post
WHY SO SOON?! So many questions remained unanswered and no second season in sight so far!

To take her from the MP barracks would involve telling the MPs about it beforehand, and he can't trust them.

Plus, having the titan fight in the middle of the city is a wakeup call for people - including powerful people - who felt a bit too safe.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 10:47   Link #233
ArmisaelXVIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
To take her from the MP barracks would involve telling the MPs about it beforehand, and he can't trust them.

Plus, having the titan fight in the middle of the city is a wakeup call for people - including powerful people - who felt a bit too safe.
That's probably one of the reasons, or even the main reason. The recon corps were about to be dismantled (or at least Erwin was about to be dismissed) basically because going out the walls is dangerous and we are doing fine inside, why bother going out and doing dangerous stuff. It really feels like this whole operation was also a wakeup call for the top brass. No one wants a rampaging titan in his city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomiq View Post
hmm i'm not manga reader but i checked and ok... it is in the ending.

Spoiler for manga:

So Mikasa saw him first? How will they change it now, who will notice him first i wonder.
Spoiler for Manga/Anime changes:
ArmisaelXVIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 10:48   Link #234
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
I regret nothing because Eren is responsible for all of the destructions.

I would take it easy if it was not for this:

I mean really, WTF?

Actually wait... he is not destroying a tower, he actually smashes through the building! That's even worse x_x

Anime team did horrible job with Eren's character.
Old 2013-09-29, 10:48   Link #235
desrtsku
Nympholept

By Armin Arlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Quote:
And I'll take the bait, like a fish man.

Quote:
No, I disagree with that. Had one prioritized the safety of the civilians over capturing the Female Titan, she would have escaped by now.
Erwin knew well a fight between Eren and Annie would have caused heavy collateral damage. He knew well Eren might cause more victim than Annie if he were to go berserk. But why would he care?

What was on the line?
The survival of humanity.

What were the sacrifices made? What did they lose in exchange of achieving that goal?
The lives of a few hundred civilians, a few buildings destroyed, insults and death glares.

Seems like a fair bargain to me, Erwin did a good job.
Old 2013-09-29, 10:51   Link #236
richardtengcy

Quote:

And he is an MC!
I beg to differ on why capturing Annie in the town is a bad idea from Captain Erwin.

We already know the fact that capturing Annie was impossible outside of the wall, even if they did, Annie could call up hordes of Titans to destroy her thus allowing her to escape.

Therefore, Erwin made the plan to capture her inside the city knowing the full consequence of it. Only man with steel balls have the ability to carry out this plan.

Annie is a person who is kind in nature. People deem her evil because she has killed quite a number of soldiers from the Survey corp but if we look closely, if they didn`t attack Annie first, she wouldn`t have bother defending herself thus causing the death of the survey corps.

Just like if the mosquitoes, if they would not have bother to suck my blood, i wouldn`t have bother killing them. Same analogy.
richardtengcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 10:53   Link #237
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post

No, I disagree with that. Had one prioritized the safety of the civilians over capturing the Female Titan, she would have escaped by now.
Erwin knew well a fight between Eren and Annie would have caused heavy collateral damage. He knew well Eren might cause more victim than Annie if he were to go berserk. But why would he care?

What was on the line?
The survival of humanity.

What were the sacrifices made? What did they lose in exchange of achieving that goal?
The lives of a few hundred civilians, a few buildings destroyed, insults and death glares.

Seems like a fair bargain to me, Erwin did a good job.
Ok I have to agree.

But my problem with Eren in anime still remains.
Old 2013-09-29, 10:54   Link #238
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
I regret nothing because Eren is responsible for all of the destructions.

I mean really, WTF?

Actually wait... he is not destroying a tower, he actually smashes through the building! That's even worse x_x
I don't really disagree on the point that he caused more destruction.

But, Erwin just made a pragmatic decision. A few hundred lives for the rest of humanity. Doesn't excuse the deaths, but I don't think Erwin made a bad decision.
Old 2013-09-29, 10:57   Link #239
lateraldeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Isn't the manga progressing at like one chapter a month? That means one volume every half year or so. The anime finished volume 8 from what I can gather, the and manga is at volume 11, meaning that it'll be another 2.5 years or so before there is enough material (i.e. vol. 16) for S2. This is gonna suck.
Keep in mind that 2.5 years will only give enough manga material. They will still need to plan, sign contracts, hire, organize before even start MAKING the first ep. So you will want to slap another half a year to year on top of that.

I actually had a dream that season 2 ep 1 got leaked somehow and I watched it.... yup... i can't wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
3) I think his hesitation in killing Annie and subsequent talk with Mikasa about what it's like to be Titan added some much needed depth to his character. I think it's highly interesting to know what being a Titan is like and how it can affect you so I think that was an interesting dimension added to his character.
But him hesitating has nothing to do with either of them being a Titan, it has to do with it being Annie and probably him seeing her cry. If they were just humans and this scene is played out by Eren storming her room at gun point in order to kill her. Seeing her crying would probably caused the same hesitation. It made his character weaker especially because his resolve towards Annie was already dragged and they dragged it out even more, pointlessly this time cause her crystallization has nothing to do with him.

The way the anime develop his char, it probably wouldn't happen but, I wouldn't be surprised if they spent half an ep in season 2 with Eren going emo about the people he killed while fighting Annie.

Last edited by lateraldeath; 2013-09-29 at 11:11.
lateraldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 11:00   Link #240
JamJackEvo

Quote:

I mean really, WTF?

Anime team did horrible job with Eren's character.
Amen to that.
JamJackEvo is offline   Reply With Quote