3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.30%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.65%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-10-01, 23:43   Link #361
zRichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
Would a second season really wrap up the story? Seeing as in season 1 they've made pretty much 0 progress. Haven't retaken the first wall. Haven't searched the basement. Haven't found out what titans are or where they come from. Haven't even been outside the walls. Seems like it would take lots of seasons to fill those blanks.
Right now, no.

The manga is currently at the climax of what you could call "Season 2 Arc 2", it may or may not end in the October chapter. Anyway, with 12 more chapters (a year) it should be enough to conclude "Arc 2" and a theoretical "Arc 3".

In my opinion, the next anime should contain 4 of these arcs like season 1 (Maria's Fall + Training, Trost, Female Titan, Stohess).
Old 2013-10-02, 00:20   Link #362
Iron Maw
Banned

This is why it's a good thing I wasn't manga reader first. I thought last episode ended solidly enough.

I've come to expect that kinda of thing from adaptations due to the medium and format differences between anime and manga. As such I'm not really surprised folks who read have read the source material and point things like that out with much displeasure. It doesn't like the changes are really unworkable to connect to a new season as long as it's proper handled. Still enjoyed the episode a lot eitherway especially the poignant scene with Eren and Mikasa in the (hospital?) sick room.

Gonna miss this show, but hey I got the manga to read until the next season (yes there will be a next one, count on it).
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 01:59   Link #363
DJ_Applejack
Space Pony

I'm really unsatisfied with the ending of the anime. It doesn't answer anything except who the female titan was, which showed up late in the season.

I really hope the next season (whenever that comes out) reaches the basement. I'm half expecting the basement to be nothing/looted already but still it would be nice to know why they're able to turn into Titans and where the Titans came from.

Anyone else think that all Titans are controlled by Humans that've been devoured by them?
DJ_Applejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 02:22   Link #364
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Applejack View Post
I really hope the next season (whenever that comes out) reaches the basement.
Sh*t they didn't reach it yet?!!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 04:08   Link #365
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
I'm really unsatisfied with the ending of the anime. It doesn't answer anything except who the female titan was, which showed up late in the season.
Well, if it makes you feel better, we haven't really had many answers in the manga yet either
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 13:07   Link #366
lateraldeath

Quote:
It doesn't answer anything except who the female titan was, which showed up late in the season.
Since I'm a manga reader as well I can only say this from a spectator's point. It's interesting to me that anime only viwers who are unsatisfied with the anime ending expects answers to be given in the final episode if they know there is a manga that goes beyond it. Why is that expectation there?
lateraldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 13:29   Link #367
Claym0re

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateraldeath View Post
Since I'm a manga reader as well I can only say this from a spectator's point. It's interesting to me that anime only viwers who are unsatisfied with the anime ending expects answers to be given in the final episode if they know there is a manga that goes beyond it. Why is that expectation there?

Any kind of adaptation has to be able to stand on its own and has to tie most of the loose ends while leaving room for further mysteries if necessary. This one fails to do that miserably. But to be fair most of the anime adaptations of ongoing mangas share the same "illness".

Sent in private because of manga comparison
Claym0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 14:09   Link #368
Hmm....

I wouldn't call it "failure" or "illness". It's simply a "nature" of ongoing manga adaptation.
The source material is incomplete. What do you expect ? :S

I believe the problem here is that many people assume the anime was ending at manga's chapter 34 while crippling it in the process.
I think the anime actually ended at chapter 33 with a few content/adaptation from chapter 34 to make it more complete.

If you just remove that titan-in-the-wall teaser after credit,
the ending is pretty conclusive, isn't it ?
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 15:36   Link #369
Double_Edge
Cool Lander

Quote:
Because we expected them to have enough source material to work with in order to justify an anime series. As it is now, they started this show WAY to early.

There were no questions answered about the world of AoT in the entire series. All we know is humanity is dying off and there are giants terrorizing them. There are no hints about the origins of these giants or anything aside from some humans are able to turn into them.

As a previous poster said, what really happened this entire season? what was resolved? not even Annie's end was solved because she froze herself.

I suppose it was a good introduction to the AoT universe but without confirmation of a continuation of the series, what was the point?

It was still entertaining but at the end of the day, the series continued with the cliffhangers and leaving you wanting more, which is by no means a bad thing, but it's a little hard on the viewer if they don't give you anything in return. Endlessly stringing someone on without giving them a break here and there is not a good thing.
Old 2013-10-02, 17:07   Link #370
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claym0re View Post

Any kind of adaptation has to be able to stand on its own and has to tie most of the loose ends while leaving room for further mysteries if necessary. This one fails to do that miserably. But to be fair most of the anime adaptations of ongoing mangas share the same "illness".
You are absolutely right that an adaption needs to be able to stand on its own, but that doesn't mean that an adaption or any work needs to answer everything at the end of an arc.

"Lost" was no adaption and yet it didn't answer all the questions after the first season (then again bad example but you should get what I mean).

I don't think you should consider the anime adaption of Shingeki no Kyoujin as completed anymore than Valvrave and Little Busters currently are.

But I guess you'd be right if you'd say that they should have given some clearer input that a second season is at the very least planned.

Anyway if for some kind of reason a second season won't come, you should consider this a work that remained incomplete because of lack of funds or something, and not a complete work that failed to provide the answers to all the questions that raised.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 21:43   Link #371
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Edge View Post
Because we expected them to have enough source material to work with in order to justify an anime series. As it is now, they started this show WAY to early.

There were no questions answered about the world of AoT in the entire series. All we know is humanity is dying off and there are giants terrorizing them. There are no hints about the origins of these giants or anything aside from some humans are able to turn into them.

As a previous poster said, what really happened this entire season? what was resolved? not even Annie's end was solved because she froze herself.

I suppose it was a good introduction to the AoT universe but without confirmation of a continuation of the series, what was the point?

It was still entertaining but at the end of the day, the series continued with the cliffhangers and leaving you wanting more, which is by no means a bad thing, but it's a little hard on the viewer if they don't give you anything in return. Endlessly stringing someone on without giving them a break here and there is not a good thing.
The fact matter is that SnK's was never going answer all of the questions in the show at the end of this season, only some by the nature of it being going work. It doesn't matter if the anime had aired year from now, because the plot would still be unfinished. Unless the anime plans on splitting from the established canon this should be understood even before the first episode. Don't like it? Then don't watch adaptations or wait till all seasons have been aired. You don't need to be a manga reader to realize this.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 00:25   Link #372
Claym0re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
You are absolutely right that an adaption needs to be able to stand on its own, but that doesn't mean that an adaption or any work needs to answer everything at the end of an arc.

"Lost" was no adaption and yet it didn't answer all the questions after the first season (then again bad example but you should get what I mean).

I don't think you should consider the anime adaption of Shingeki no Kyoujin as completed anymore than Valvrave and Little Busters currently are.

But I guess you'd be right if you'd say that they should have given some clearer input that a second season is at the very least planned.

Anyway if for some kind of reason a second season won't come, you should consider this a work that remained incomplete because of lack of funds or something, and not a complete work that failed to provide the answers to all the questions that raised.
I never said the first season should have answered everything related to the Attack on Titan universe. But if you want to know what I consider "complete on its own" here is an example.

Hunger Games. Yes I know they left out a few things but the movie itself is a complete on its own. I dont have to read the book to understand whats going on and I dont have to understand the deeper meaning of the relation of districts or the capital etc...to enjoy it.

In fact if a random person is gonna watch the movie in like ten years he will understand everything without knowing that a book version of the story exists.

Thats hardly the case with Attack on Titan.

And yes I know most manga readers say its still an ongoing story but as a manga reader myself I have an opinion about this too which is spoiler territory so sent in private (assuming you read it too).
Claym0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 01:54   Link #373
larethian

Quote:

To promote the manga. Currently more than 23 million copies sold. There was a big spike, but I'm too lazy to check the numbers. aohige probably can remember them.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 02:05   Link #374
DJ_Applejack
Space Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordOfkichiku View Post
Well, if it makes you feel better, we haven't really had many answers in the manga yet either
Quote:
Damn, I hope they don't drag this out. Like another Naruto >_>
DJ_Applejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 05:05   Link #375
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
Damn, I hope they don't drag this out. Like another Naruto >_>
Small chance of that. Isayama says he wants to end it around volume 20, so with 11 volumes currently out (and the 12th coming in December), it will go on for a while longer, but not THAT long, so we should start getting some answers soon...
Old 2013-10-03, 12:30   Link #376
lateraldeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claym0re View Post

Any kind of adaptation has to be able to stand on its own and has to tie most of the loose ends while leaving room for further mysteries if necessary.
I don't know where this generalization that adaptation "has to" stand alone and be applied to all media comes from, if it comes just from your experience watching all forms of media, (2D, 3D, US, Japan) then I don't think it applies. There is no "rule" that says this needs to be done when it comes to anime. Some stories are episodic by nature and are easy to adopt. Others have one over arching story like SnK that makes it difficult. It make no sense for the same form of conclusion to apply if this conclusion will deviate from the original story that they clearly intend to continue into season 2. Besides, if you say that MOST anime has this "illness". To me that just sounds like this is should be norm of how anime adaptations work, and this majority should be the expectation.

Quote:
I would agree it'd be much better if they would have started this with more manga material existing. However, you have to keep in mind this is in the end a business. Either they were sceptical that this may flop and don't want tp wait and invest in a longer series contract, or maybe they felt the timing is right, who knows. I'm sure if they could look into the future and see how ridiculously successful it is, they might have made some changes.

Last edited by lateraldeath; 2013-10-03 at 13:10.
lateraldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 12:59   Link #377
chaos_animagic

Not sure how I feel.

Since it looks like Annie is still more "human" than the actual Humans inside the walls...

This entire episode showed Annie as more human when she tries to avoid any buildings and civilians, while Eren just runs through buildings regardless of anyone inside or not. (even before he went berserk and is in control)

Plus Annie's Grandfather seems to know the true Human's face and told her not to trust Humans.
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 14:02   Link #378
Byakou

Quote:
Originally Posted by zRichard View Post
Right now, no.

The manga is currently at the climax of what you could call "Season 2 Arc 2", it may or may not end in the October chapter. Anyway, with 12 more chapters (a year) it should be enough to conclude "Arc 2" and a theoretical "Arc 3".

In my opinion, the next anime should contain 4 of these arcs like season 1 (Maria's Fall + Training, Trost, Female Titan, Stohess).
What I mean is, when the manga will be finished, there will be only content for one more season? I was hoping that the manga would be long enough to have several more seasons.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 15:45   Link #379
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_animagic View Post
Not sure how I feel.

Since it looks like Annie is still more "human" than the actual Humans inside the walls...

Plus Annie's Grandfather seems to know the true Human's face and told her not to trust Humans.
So you think the Titan Shifters are all believers in the "Humans are Bastards"-trope then? .
And I wouldn't be so sure about Annie being "more human"; she does describe herself as a human who just goes along with the flow, sorta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
What I mean is, when the manga will be finished, there will be only content for one more season? I was hoping that the manga would be long enough to have several more seasons.
When the manga's finished, there should be enough material for three seasons overall (including the one we just saw, though the third one will probably be shorter than the first two if they go for three seasons)...
Old 2013-10-03, 18:02   Link #380
normp571

Quote:
Originally Posted by zRichard View Post
Right now, no.

This is season one.
normp571 is offline   Reply With Quote