AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-10-01, 09:06   Link #281
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This series worked for me. Packed a punch and was about real emotions. Faking love is bad for everyone. Asuka deserved love, but Haruto had to be honest with himself and with her. That was hard on everyone, but had to be done.

My only complaint is that we maybe didn't get enough info to make Yuzuki's need to stay with Kyousuke make sense. I felt as if it was explained better in the manga -- as inexplicable as it still seems to me, lol. In being with him, she was doing what seemed like a kind and responsible thing, but it was really not kind to anyone -- especially to her. I blame no-one in this show: everyone did what they thought was right in each circumstance. Even Rin, who has never seemed a very nice person to me, ended up doing what was best for her sister, in the end.

Anyway, despite the oddness of Seo Kouji's understanding of romance, this was a romance at a far higher level of interest, emotion and complexity than most in anime. I hope we will get more of this kind of dark, complex romance in White Album 2 this fall.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2013-10-01 at 09:20.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 15:08   Link #282
Aqua Knight

If it was at least 24 episodes, than I could agree that this was a romance at a far higher level of interest, emotion and complexity than most in anime.

But I think that White Album 1 had a more complex, though sometimes less real romance.
Old 2013-10-01, 19:06   Link #283
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Well the scene mentioning Akari made little to no sense due to several changes made, and Asuka was actually supposed to be not amused about him moving out for a certain reason they even built up in the Anime, but completely dismissed now...
The rest was fine... I guess?

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 21:07   Link #284
Frontier

Yeah, the reconciliation between Haruto and Asuka was handled much better in the manga in my opinion. It was amicable, and Asuka didn't say she'd be waiting for him in case Yuzuki dumped him. They just parted as friends.

The scene of Haruto and Yuzuki finally getting back together was a powerful scene... aside from the lack of mouth movement. Did Gonzo waste most of the animation budget on the romantic scenes in the last episode? Because that what it looked like for much of the episode .

And I think they could've picked a better moment from the manga to end on instead of just a montage of scenes...

But overall, aside from an okay finale, I thought this was a very good adaption. I'm glad to hear it's doing well in terms of sales .

Last edited by Frontier; 2013-10-01 at 21:19.
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 22:48   Link #285
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Well this was just dumb but if your going to dump someone that seem like the way to do it

5/10 doing all of that just to get a girl back is just stupid
It's a heart vs. mind sort of thing.

Intellectually, Haruto knows that Asuka is a great girlfriend, at least in all the practical ways. She's deeply in love with him, she expresses that clearly, she gives him his space, she's very understanding and supportive, she's totally faithful, her and him do a good job planning things together, and Asuka's very cheerful and upbeat about their time together.

There is absolutely nothing that Haruto can raise against Asuka. There's not the slightest pretext he can use to try to rationalize his decision to break up with her. He knows she's a great girlfriend and that many guys would love to be in the sort of relationship he has with Asuka. That's why it was so brutally hard for Haruto to break up with her.

"My heart belongs to Eba" is the only reason Haruto can give. That's it. That is 100% it.

This is another romance conflict in anime that's about the heart and passion and maybe even "the red string of fate" trumping the mind. It's one of the more powerful ones of it's type, because of how Asuka is presented.

Part of me wonders how true to life this romantic theme is. But in any event, Kimi no Iru Machi presented it compellingly, imo. It pulled no punches.

I have to say, though, that Haruto's actions are nowhere near as bad as those of a certain someone in School Days. Haruto didn't sleep around with every girl he set his eyes on. In fact, this anime seemed to imply that even him and Asuka never actually had sex together. If that implication is correct, then Haruto deserves credit for at least ending things with Asuka before it got any more serious than it already was.

A better comparison for Haruto is True Tears' Shinichiro.

I can certainly understand people disliking Haruto, but we shouldn't act like he's a shallow womanizer. If anything, he's the opposite - An one-woman man that unfortunately took a very messy route to ending up with the one woman in question.
Old 2013-10-02, 03:43   Link #286
Key Board
Carbon

first love means a different thing to each person

Haruto and Yuzuki chose this outcome. Clearly it weighed a lot for them.
But it doesn't necessarily mean that it's the choice everyone else has to follow.
I don't there is a right and wrong choice.

speaking of which, if you enjoyed Kimi no Iru Machi, you should watch White Album 2 when it airs.
It will have a similar mind vs heart theme
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 06:08   Link #287
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Really good art and direction for the final episode, with good viewing angles that make the scenes more poignant without becoming too jarring. The only screen cut that I did not like was when the scene between Haruto and Asuka was cut off by the cat mewing. Rin really grew on me in the last few episodes, with her trolling that is always underlined by an insightful understanding of the dynamics of the main trio, especially Haruto himself.

Overall, this was the series that I anticipated and enjoyed the most this season. It's not an easy story to tell because the manga is too long to be shown in chronological order, but the past and present scenes were weaved together very well in a manner that viewers do not get lost while watching. Of course, having my two favourite VAs, Ayane Sakura and Saki Fujita, playing roles outside of their standard repertoires is always going to be enjoyable.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 07:03   Link #288
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
The only screen cut that I did not like was when the scene between Haruto and Asuka was cut off by the cat mewing.
Oh, I remember that scene. Good job GONZO for being so lazy!

Anyways, they should have adapted KNIM to a two-cour series instead of one!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 16:21   Link #289
Black Phoenix
Photography is my life!

Finally had time to watch the last episode. It was a very strong one, really messing with the feelings. Haruto really had a difficult task, he can't point a finger to Asuka, she was in certain way a perfect girlfriend, but one of the things that I didn't liked in Asuka was she regarding the others instead of her feelings. The outcome was a difficult one, I really was empathised with both of Asuka, Haruto and Yuzuki.

From 1 to 10, for me was a 8. Good adaptation from the Manga, with flashbacks when needed and not a lot of fillers. Probably it deserved a Second Season. But this time focusing the beginning of the story for both of them at school.
Old 2013-10-07, 21:17   Link #290
DaSilverShadow

Finally got around to finishing this anime. I was a little bored of it even though I really liked the manga. I'd say it was around a 7-8ish range, it was a okay adaption for the part of the story they did but it was just a little slow and the changes from the manga were a little weird in my opinion.
DaSilverShadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
badass girls, cheating, frustration, love polygon, romance, shounen, slice of life