AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga > To Aru... Railgun [M/LN]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-10-14, 10:12   Link #5961
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nym View Post
Or easier put: did they reach great power through intelligence or did they reach great intelligence through the input of great power?
I'm an extremist, I like to push things on the edge. So here's my answer :
Spoiler for slightly off topic, long and Index Spoiler (?):
Old 2013-10-14, 16:56   Link #5962
Nym

Thanks alot for your input. I did not consider a few things you said beforehand and i guess you are right.

My mindset was (using an extremely simplefied example) that someone like a lvl 1 esper is doing the calculation of 10x10 to reach his way of personal reality. And after he did like a million or more times this easy equation he might get to the point of expanding his mindset. For example going so far as to think "if i use 10x10 i could also try out 10^2" etc. And like that slowly evolve into the state of a lvl 2. So through the permanent usage of his own reality evolving himself and his point of view further.

But you are absolutely right with mentioning Misaka as one of the few known example who didnt reach her full potential intantely. I didnt consider that so my whole theorie got destroyed =P
Old 2013-10-14, 21:43   Link #5963
SilverTalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
That was Mikoto, pretty sure. Referencing the Fake date, I believe.
Yeah, but I don't think who it was matters. I didn't really get the feeling at all it was that she could solve them because she was a level 5 but that she could solve them because the curriculum at her middle school is leagues above his high school. Which is also supported by the later mentioning that her school teaches college level classes.

On Aogami, if he turns out to be a level 5, I'm sure it will also turn out that he just acts like a moron on purpose due to his personality. We don't really have any specific instance of him appearing actually unintelligent.
Old 2013-10-15, 05:59   Link #5964
silvercover
Romance Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTalon View Post
Yeah, but I don't think who it was matters. I didn't really get the feeling at all it was that she could solve them because she was a level 5 but that she could solve them because the curriculum at her middle school is leagues above his high school. Which is also supported by the later mentioning that her school teaches college level classes.

On Aogami, if he turns out to be a level 5, I'm sure it will also turn out that he just acts like a moron on purpose due to his personality. We don't really have any specific instance of him appearing actually unintelligent.
Indeed, what he mostly shows is just being a slacker and an otaku. Most likely he just ends up neglecting his studies though rather than pretending to be idiotic.
Old 2013-10-15, 06:59   Link #5965
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Yeah, but I don't think who it was matters.
Yes, it does. Even Etzali could solve them rather easily. Etzali of all people, someone that isn't even a real AC student could, and Kamijou Touma couldn't.

Quote:
she could solve them because the curriculum at her middle school is leagues above his high school
Not really, "if a 14-year-old me were thrown in Oxford, would I be able to follow the rhythm" is a question anyone should ask themselves first.
Moreover, Tokiwadai only accepts high level ranked espers among their ranks in the first place (yes, for a few cases, passing classes has to do with level). It's not a school that miraculously changes commonplace stones into jewels, it's a school whose main vocation is to find diamonds and polish them further.
So no, whether she studied at tokiwadai or a normal middle school don't change the fact that she would have solve those problems in a blink of an eye. The simple fact that she can perform level 3-4 electrokinesis/magnetism in the first place means she's at least mastered highshool level maths and physics.
Old 2013-10-15, 10:38   Link #5966
silvercover
Romance Expert

as a side note guys, did anyone see this yet?
http://toarumajutsunoindex.wikia.com/wiki/Cloverfield
Old 2013-10-15, 12:12   Link #5967
Goldzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercover View Post
Indeed, what he mostly shows is just being a slacker and an otaku. Most likely he just ends up neglecting his studies though rather than pretending to be idiotic.
kamijou is simply to busy to study and you know that.
Old 2013-10-15, 14:13   Link #5968
FallenHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldzero View Post
kamijou is simply to busy to study and you know that.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about Aogami.
Old 2013-10-15, 14:24   Link #5969
SilverTalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
Yes, it does. Even Etzali could solve them rather easily. Etzali of all people, someone that isn't even a real AC student could, and Kamijou Touma couldn't.
For him to blend in inside AC he should need a certain level. But more importantly, do we know his age? I think he is probably at least Touma's age if not slightly older. Some one older solving your homework easily isn't a feat and really neither is some one in the same grade.

Quote:
Not really, "if a 14-year-old me were thrown in Oxford, would I be able to follow the rhythm" is a question anyone should ask themselves first.
Moreover, Tokiwadai only accepts high level ranked espers among their ranks in the first place (yes, for a few cases, passing classes has to do with level). It's not a school that miraculously changes commonplace stones into jewels, it's a school whose main vocation is to find diamonds and polish them further.
You think all but the very, very, very most intelligent 14 year olds could take a course in say Topology at Oxford and have any idea what is going on? I don't see how that is relevant to the conversation anyway.

And no, I'm pretty sure level is determined (or maybe I should say labeled) by those tests we saw in the railgun anime/manga and vol 7 (I think). Sure the classes are designed to help raise level, but I don't think there was any instance anywhere suggesting class performance is part of level determination.
That part about Tokiwadai actually supports my argument. Who solved the problems specifically (Mikoto) isn't relevant. Any middle school student in a top tier school on Tokiwadai's level would be able to solve them. Its basically the reverse of your Oxford example. Should some one who takes classes at Oxford be able to help a first (?) year high school student with his homework? Yeah.

Quote:
So no, whether she studied at tokiwadai or a normal middle school don't change the fact that she would have solve those problems in a blink of an eye. The simple fact that she can perform level 3-4 electrokinesis/magnetism in the first place means she's at least mastered highshool level maths and physics.
You're arguing something no one ever brought up. Mikoto can solve them because she already knows the method to solve it, where she learned it doesn't matter for what I said unless it is some level 5 specific curriculum specifically which we know isn't the case. No one ever said Mikoto can only solve it because she goes to Tokiwadai; in fact she was level 3-4 when she got there so odds are she learned that material in elementary school. The point is that she knew how to do it because the curriculum she and other elite students go through is faster than Touma's by enough that at 14 she considers his work to be easy as she has long since moved past that. But what is a stronger argument to show Touma's level: Touma is not as smart as Mikoto (who for students at least is probably easily top 10 out of their entire student population) or Touma is not as smart (academically) as any of those students at top tier middle schools on the level of Tokiwadai? The second clearly gives you more information which was my point when I said it doesn't matter that it was Mikoto that solved the problems as those problems would be a joke compared to the curriculum offered at that school.

Now that last part, sure, you could take it further than I did and say that the calculations needed for level 3-4 abilities should be greater than what Touma doing and try to further pin point how he stands in relation to the rest of AC, but that doesn't really counter anything I said.

Last edited by SilverTalon; 2013-10-15 at 14:38.
Old 2013-10-15, 14:47   Link #5970
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
For him to blend in inside AC he should need a certain level. But more importantly, do we know his age? I think he is probably at least Touma's age if not slightly older. Some one older solving your homework easily isn't a feat and really neither is some one in the same grade.
The whole point was to prove that Touma just isn't special at, which isn't up to discussion since it's something you acknowledge it yourself. The rest is just me nipticking.

Spoiler for Long, slightly off topic, nipticking:

EDIT : Seems like you modified your post, but I'm not gonna modify mine, since the ones you've done are off the point. The whole argument is about Tokiwadai, not what she's done before entering Tokiwadai. That's another discussion.

Last edited by desrtsku; 2013-10-15 at 14:58.
Old 2013-10-15, 17:16   Link #5971
SilverTalon

Yeah I did ninja edit it... really bad at that. I should just reread it to make sure it makes sense before I hit submit... But you're right, none of those edits really matter, I was just trying to clarify what I found to be awkwardly expressed.

Spoiler for Reply to Long, slightly off topic, nipticking:
Old 2013-10-15, 17:39   Link #5972
silvercover
Romance Expert

well for touma, you could excuse him perhaps due to his amnesia. he may have been able to solve those easily if he didnt lose his memories.
Old 2013-10-15, 18:22   Link #5973
lazydoggamer
Lazy and I know it

I think you guys are reading way too much into that homework scene. It was mostly for comedic effect
Old 2013-10-15, 23:56   Link #5974
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

Quote:
I lol'ed when I saw it for the first time, but now I wonder: was it a good idea to put it on the wiki? I mean, I'm pretty sure the majority of Raildex fans didn't like Railgun S second half, but wouldn't putting fanon on the wiki cause more tension with the Railgun fans only who actually liked the Silent Party Arc (and that...thing that was the last episode)?
This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six! ... Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four! ... Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight! ... Six, this is six. This is goddamn fucking six!
Old 2013-10-16, 04:11   Link #5975
desrtsku
Nympholept

^ I genuinely liked Silent party even though I find it mediocre myself (yet a minority that finds the last episode good), but I don't mind at all. Or maybe it's because I still loathe Nagai as most people does.

Quote:
The whole point was to prove that Touma just isn't special at performing complex task like those, which isn't up to discussion since it's something you acknowledge it yourself. The rest is just me nitpicking.
Holy crap, I want to kill myself. Screw it, I'm never gonna post anything when half asleep again.

Quote:
-snip-
Spoiler for Reply to Reply to Long, slightly off topic, nitpicking:
Old 2013-10-16, 14:17   Link #5976
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I'll throw it out there. Perhaps it's being looked at the wrong way. Sure all of the high level espers are genius and have high IQ, but there is more than one type of IQ. Perhaps Touma is a Kinesthetic genius. Then he would learn by actions and perceive things quite differently from other geniuses. For instance Mikoto could easily explain the theory of how to stop, I don't know, A giant floating island with a madman holding power equal to God in his right hand from destroying and recreating the world. Touma just does it and probably couldn't tell you how to do it. So the calculations happen in his head without him realizing it just like Accelerators unconscious reflection or Hamazura's loli barrier or Mikoto's auto radio waves. So in short Touma may just be a genius of a different type of intelligence from the others. He may be much more like Gunha. He doesn't know how he does it, he just does it.

The edge of sadomasochism is paper thin
Old 2013-10-16, 15:25   Link #5977
desrtsku
Nympholept

^ It was already mentioned. It's not calculations or anything like that, it's just priming.
It's not based on pure intelligence, it's based on how memory and experience sharpen your reflexes and intuitions.
Old 2013-10-18, 04:38   Link #5978
Thatguy3331
Pro Slacker

Quote:
Huh... didn't know he directed Toradora and "Lookame Lookame, cry your eyes out"... this explains many many things...

I stopped watching the railgun anime after the sisters arc ended (and right before kuroko showed up cause you guys know how I am~) So I know nothing of the 'silent party' with the exception of 'level 5's apparently not needing air'.... Yeah I have no regrets...

But getting on topic with the manga I'm gonna bet my money that whatever Touma does it doesn't actually end until the bonfire dance...
Old 2013-10-18, 05:06   Link #5979
hamazura
whatever

touma x gunha o_0
when chapter 64 released?
Old 2013-10-18, 06:38   Link #5980
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Not sure when 64 comes out so I looked on Amazon.jp and found this. I ended up hitting the one click buy.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I can't help but imagine the disgust/envy my employees/minions will regard me with after seeing this hanging in my office. Ah well I can use it as a filter for the ones who aren't "team players."

The edge of sadomasochism is paper thin
Closed Thread

Tags
fantasy, shounen