AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kill La Kill

Notices

Old 2013-10-18, 23:31   Link #861
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZabiLegacy View Post
I'm pretty sure that reading too much into the show is a great deal of what I'm doing. If it weren't so unique then it wouldn't demand such intense scrutiny. While the asuslt on senses scene of the second half of the episode was so spectacularly noticeable, the wedding dress scene at the beginning was the moment that stood out the most.

It simply demands too much analysis (yeah I know I already included a hyperlink to it, but the post was meant as a counterpoint to that statement)
Evaluating characters like what you did there is fine, but expecting super-serious social commentary on gender roles? That, I think, is pushing it.
Old 2013-10-18, 23:34   Link #862
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage

gender roles? No. But, the link I showed to Kevo's blog is a legitimate point. This may not be a commentary on gender roles but is a commentary on the Japanese public school system. the way that the school opresses it's students and turns it's students interchangeable is too notable. The series makes that clear by linking it's goku uniforms with both actual military uniforms and with the current school uniform system in japan.
Old 2013-10-18, 23:48   Link #863
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I'm borrowing another person's analysis here (and it may have already been mentioned in the thread), but...
Wedding dresses are something that women are given at a time when (in Japan, particularly) they're expected to throw away all of their own ambitions for the sake of supporting another's.
Satsuki? She STEALS her wedding dress to further her OWN ambitions.
Add this to Ryuuko looking longingly at a wedding dress in the ED... they're definitely building up to something here.
I know it's a tired comparison at this point, but Gurren Lagann was smarter than it looked too, so why shouldn't this be?
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-19, 00:02   Link #864
Triple_R
*Author

Why does it have to be smarter than what it looks? What's wrong with simply being a good, simple, fun, flashy, action-packed show that you don't have to think hard about? There's a place for shows like that too, you know.
Old 2013-10-19, 00:03   Link #865
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I'm borrowing another person's analysis here (and it may have already been mentioned in the thread), but...
Wedding dresses are something that women are given at a time when (in Japan, particularly) they're expected to throw away all of their own ambitions for the sake of supporting another's.
Add this to Ryuuko looking longingly at a wedding dress in the ED... they're definitely building up to something here.
I know it's a tired comparison at this point, but Gurren Lagann was smarter than it looked too, so why shouldn't this be?
It also means estrangement from the father, and as we have clearly established, Ryuko and Satsuki are both DEFINED by their fathers.
Old 2013-10-19, 00:05   Link #866
Triple_R
*Author

I wonder how long it'll be before people start bringing up Sigmund Freud and Electra Complexes...
Old 2013-10-19, 00:06   Link #867
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage

The bit where the teacher explains that her father wanted her to wear such a sexy outfit amused me.
Old 2013-10-19, 00:26   Link #868
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

I think a lot of you people are trying WAAAAAAY too hard to justify why the fan service is there. You're putting way too much thought into something that is honestly just really there for the hell of it.
Old 2013-10-19, 00:27   Link #869
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage

See my comment from last page for my reply.
Old 2013-10-19, 00:44   Link #870
Eragon
Still Alive

There is no facepalm big enough to contain my exasperation towards this episode.
Old 2013-10-19, 00:59   Link #871
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
But wedding dresses in Japan mean something different...

Quote:
At Japanese weddings, brides will often wear three or more dresses throughout the ceremony and subsequent celebrations with a traditional kimono, white and color dress combinations are popular. White is used because in Japan it symbolizes death - in this case, the bride becomes dead to her family. The bride will eventually remove her white kimono to reveal another colored one - usually red - to symbolize her rebirth into her husband's family.
https://www.marryjim.com/en/page/sho...mplate/history
Old 2013-10-19, 01:05   Link #872
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZabiLegacy View Post
The bit where the teacher explains that her father wanted her to wear such a sexy outfit amused me.
She has such a neat "holy shit" expression. Loved that.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-19, 01:23   Link #873
klare

i see, you need to become one with your uniform to unleash it full power

apart from the fun actions and services, I feel something is being schemed/plotted by Satsuki and that teacher
Old 2013-10-19, 01:26   Link #874
VirgilTheart
One Very Sexy Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post

https://www.marryjim.com/en/page/sho...mplate/history
I would argue that that actually only adds to the notion that the show is very likely building up to something between Ryuuko and Satsuki in terms of marriage.

I believe Satsuki is planning to use Ryuuko against her family. She's clearly not the person who killed Isshin Matoi, even though it's clear she knows who probably did it, and it's obvious that sending the other students in the school after Ryuuko now isn't going to work. I think she's just preparing Ryuuko for whatever she has planned.

Also, do we know for sure that Satsuki's father is still alive? Think about it, the only time he's personally been mentioned in the show so far (as far as I can remember) is in Satsuki's flashback. It's always been her mother or her family as a whole that has been referenced in the present time.

Whatever the case, I think Satsuki intends to rebel against her family, but she needs Ryuuko's help in order to do it.
VirgilTheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-19, 01:28   Link #875
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage

Her outfit does turn red. That is a fair point.
Old 2013-10-19, 01:31   Link #876
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Why does it have to be smarter than what it looks?
It doesn't have to be. It already is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
What's wrong with simply being a good, simple, fun, flashy, action-packed show that you don't have to think hard about?
It can also be this too. It can be both at the same time.
Just because something has depth does not necessarily mean you have to think about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor Jube View Post
I think a lot of you people are trying WAAAAAAY too hard to justify why the fan service is there. You're putting way too much thought into something that is honestly just really there for the hell of it.
I'm not "justifying" anything. Of course the outfits are the way they are because the staff like that sort of thing, but certainly there's also an actual reason for why they're so skimpy, as alluded to this episode.
That's not exactly what I'm talking about, though. I'm just objecting to assertions that the show is mindless and should be treated as such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Um. Maybe before the rise of Western culture in Japan, but...
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-19, 01:34   Link #877
VirgilTheart
One Very Sexy Teacher

Quote:
That's not exactly what I'm talking about, though. I'm just objecting to assertions that the show is mindless and should be treated as such.
Exactly. The people behind this anime are masterminds at making fun, insanely 'stupid' shows that actually have a lot of genius behind it. The choice is up to the viewer in how far down the rabbit hole they're willing to go.
Old 2013-10-19, 01:39   Link #878
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Anyone kind enough to translate this? seems to be talking about the upcoming episodes... particularly up to 8, If I'm reading right?

───今後の展開をお聞かせいただける範囲で教えていただきたいですが…。

中島 それは3話Bパートです!3話でここまで盛り上げて、4話で「こんなことやりやがって!」となって、5話は また味わいの違うもので。6話でみんな「え、もう?」になって、7話で「えー!」ってなって。8話以降は新 展開が待っていますので……、ああ、もう言えないです。
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-19, 01:46   Link #879
VirgilTheart
One Very Sexy Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
Images
while try to adapt with new size rule -_-
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I'll take the Teacher avatar! Greatly appreciated!
Old 2013-10-19, 03:12   Link #880
stassy

Do we have others character/anime/game featuring wedding dress as high end/final armor?
The only one that come into mind is Ignis from Jingai Makyo (and her popular model kit).
stassy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, aniplex, comedy, fanservice, high school, imaishi, trigger