AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-11-09, 10:39   Link #1061
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
It's good to make it clear that this is a gag episode, since that can explain (at a meta-level) why the characters are acting more stupid than usual.

But people sometimes also need an in-canon reason to be cool with something. I'll probably leave it at that.
Old 2013-11-09, 10:50   Link #1062
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It's good to make it clear that this is a gag episode, since that can explain (at a meta-level) why the characters are acting more stupid than usual.

But people sometimes also need an in-canon reason to be cool with something. I'll probably leave it at that.
I think that's because a gag episode is more like a tradition, just like any tradition from different cultures out there.

Many traditions don't make sense, but it's there to be understood.
Old 2013-11-09, 10:56   Link #1063
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Ultimately it all comes down to what you want out of Kyoukai no Kanata. About half way through the episode, my suspicions were confirmed that this is just a gag episode so I enjoyed the rest of the episode as such. Well I enjoyed it as much as I could. In the end, I didn't hate it but I didn't particularly like it either so it was just average for me. But there are several problems that I personally have with this episode:

1) I was hoping to expect something different out of Kyoukai no Kanata. Something different from the typical moe/slice of life safe zone that KyoAni hardly strays from. Despite Free! targeting a different demographic, I didn't think its narrative was all that far from the safe zone either. So episodes like these are confirming my suspicions that Kyoukai no Kanata is falling back on that safe zone again and using the interesting supernatural setting as nothing more than a fancy dressing of what is essentially the same damn thing (I hope I turn out to be wrong on this but 'd rather I didn't have to hope being six episodes in). The truth is that I just don't want a gag episode.

2) PocariSweat says the episode is stupid but I heavily disagree. I don't think it was stupid at all: In fact i thought a good deal of the gags were fairly clever. What I do think is that the episode was silly. Silly doesn't necessarily mean stupid. Valvrave is pretty silly but it's silly in surprisingly clever ways. Uchouten Kazoku was also pretty silly but there was heart behind it ("idiot blood"). In the same vein as above, that's also another reason I didn't want a gag episode. If it's going to be silly, then it will easily lose its dignity. Some shows get away way with it for various reasons (e.g. Uchouten Kazoku gets away with it because it's generally light-hearted) but I just don't think it fits very well in this show because what we're hoping for are dark mysterious supernatural stories. That's where its dignity lies and it runs totally counter to gag episodes like these.

3) The gag episode wasn't even that good: As TripleR pointed out, you can have a gag episode that expands or develops characters at the same time. They can still get mixed results depending on how the comedy is done but Gargantia is a decent example. And despite people's complaints, HSI's third episode is also a good example. But here, we didn't get anything at all: It was just a rather pointless episode.

Last edited by Haak; 2013-11-09 at 12:09. Reason: Evidently can't count for shit.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 11:47   Link #1064
Arya

^Yep, for me your second-third forth point is the main reason I didn't like this episode, despite enjoying the idol section. It was a pointless episode. I never watch OVA's for the same reason. Unless the series were already silly to begin with, like IS.
I personally didn't like even the so predictable twist of the perverted-youkai, after all the Mirai shots already.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 15:01   Link #1065
RobotCat
In a Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post

2) PocariSweat says the episode is stupid but I heavily disagree. I don't think it was stupid at all: In fact i thought a good deal of the gags were fairly clever. What I do think is that the episode was silly. Silly doesn't necessarily mean stupid. Valvrave is pretty silly but it's silly in surprisingly clever ways. Uchouten Kazoku was also pretty silly but there was heart behind it ("idiot blood"). In the same vein as above, that's also another reason I didn't want a gag episode. If it's going to be silly, then it will easily lose its dignity. Some shows get away way with it for various reasons (e.g. Uchouten Kazoku gets away with it because it's generally light-hearted) but I just don't think it fits very well in this show because what we're hoping for are dark mysterious supernatural stories. That's where its dignity lies and it runs totally counter to gag episodes like these.

3) The gag episode wasn't even that good: As TripleR pointed out, you can have a gag episode that expands or develops characters at the same time. They can still get mixed results depending on how the comedy is done but Gargantia is a decent example. And despite people's complaints, HSI's third episode is also a good example. But here, we didn't get anything at all: It was just a rather pointless episode.
Spoiler for Comparison to Outbreak Company:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-11-09 at 22:57. Reason: please use spoiler tags when comparing to other shows
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 15:14   Link #1066
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotCat View Post

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-11-09 at 22:58. Reason: use spoiler tags when comparing to other shows
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 15:34   Link #1067
RobotCat
In a Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-11-09 at 22:58.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 15:51   Link #1068
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotCat View Post

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-11-09 at 22:58.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 21:23   Link #1069
OkamiNoKaze

This episode was pretty funny, caught me off guard for sure. I really thought Shizuku or one of the others would have swooped in at the end to finish it off "stealing" the kill out from under them, Ayaka did mention her possibly hunting it too. Maybe she did get it off screen after the episode. I did like the song though, then again it's always great to hear Minori singing. I can see it now, the next Kyoto Animation project, "Vocaloid"
Old 2013-11-10, 06:49   Link #1070
klare

1 week of practice in hell wasted... yup funny episode
Old 2013-11-10, 09:47   Link #1071
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
1 week of practice in hell wasted... yup funny episode
It's not wasted. They only need the 6th person who is willing to share the profits to do the actual kill.
Old 2013-11-10, 09:54   Link #1072
Anime Online

Well, it is unlikely they could have bagged that fruit dreamshade anyway. The anime seems determined to keep Mirai in a state of constant poverty. Anything she touches would be worth only a few hundred yen.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 11:45   Link #1073
FateAnomaly

Interesting show so far but why does it seems like the reward gets better the easier the bounty is?
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 11:48   Link #1074
Breimoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
It's not wasted. They only need the 6th person who is willing to share the profits to do the actual kill.
that rat would be enough if he only stopped getting fat.
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 11:55   Link #1075
FateAnomaly

They lost because they were being stupid. They just have to tank through the non damaging rush the fluid and kill it. There is also two rows of air conditioners that is more or less above the water level.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 13:14   Link #1076
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
They lost because they were being stupid. They just have to tank through the non damaging rush the fluid and kill it. There is also two rows of air conditioners that is more or less above the water level.
Mitsuki could have also controlled her youmu pet to attack from a distance. It was a silly episode that was never meant to be taken seriously.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 13:14   Link #1077
EroKing

Old 2013-11-10, 13:20   Link #1078
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Mitsuki could have also controlled her youmu pet to attack from a distance. It was a silly episode that was never meant to be taken seriously.
If she hadn't fed it so much, then he could have taken out the demon. The rat needs to be on a diet now.
Old 2013-11-10, 18:49   Link #1079
Dextro
He Without a Title

The only thing I got from this episode was that KyoAni is still very good at their usual slapstick comedy and that they really need to do an idol anime

I also don't get why people say this was worse than the scenes in idolm@ster. I'm a big fan of that franchise and loved the anime but I still cringed everytime those dance scenes came up. Mixing 2D animation with 3D doesn't make a dance scene good especially when both look awful on their own let alone together. :-\
Old 2013-11-11, 05:32   Link #1080
EroKing

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Tags
blood magic, demons, seinen, supernatural, tragic past