Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-11-10, 18:33   Link #161
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
...I hate it even more...
You are so Tsundere for this series Haak

Anyways great episode, Satoru adds a lot of depth this series because he has so much room for growth. But poor guy his first experience connecting with others is with teenage girls.

Gintaro & Haru make a cute pair. Which is a good thing because we all know Makoto and Satoru are getting married.

I also really like how I am learning new stuff from this series. Never knew that it is better to buy charms for other people than yourself (although it makes sense).

Next week we have a topic that really interests me shrines vs temples. I know shrines are Shinto and temples are Buddhist but I don't know much else. Looking forward to it.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2013-11-10 at 19:10.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 18:42   Link #162
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I learned something new today as well. I had never seen a character in anime buy a charm for somebody else until now so I had no idea that's how it's supposed to be done.

I'm also curious about the difference between shrines and temples.
Old 2013-11-10, 18:46   Link #163
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I learned something new today as well. I had never seen a character in anime buy a charm for somebody else until now so I had no idea that's how it's supposed to be done.

I'm also curious about the difference between shrines and temples.
Iirc one difference is that shrines are mainly associated with "life"; you know, things like coming of age ceremonies, praying for particular things, etc., whereas temples are mostly associated with both "death" (esp funerals) and asceticism/monasticism type of stuff.

Those who know more please chime in!
Old 2013-11-10, 19:02   Link #164
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post

Gintaro & Haru make a cute pair. Which is a thing because we all know Makoto and Satoru are getting married.
I don't. While I don't particulary mind Gintaro and Haru (though it's quite hard to imagine), Makoto and Satoru is somehow annoying. Don't wanna.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 20:49   Link #165
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Hmm, it's taking a while for Satoru to grow on me, i'm having a difficult time liking his character as much as I like Makoto and Gin. Haru is the opposite though, she's quickly becoming a likable character for me. Gin is my favourite character in this anime and quickly becoming one of my favourite overall, although he didn't get a whole bunch of screen time this episode, he still impacted it plenty

By the way, I totally called Haru a "He" in that first paragraph before noticing and correcting it. I gotta remember Haru is a girl
Old 2013-11-10, 21:01   Link #166
deadite

Ryuuko blushing because of Senktsu...
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 22:01   Link #167
liquidmetal
procrastinating...

Haru is so cute!

Really relaxing episode.
liquidmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 22:14   Link #168
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

So it take 3 teen girls to make Satoru mad and less of a stiff
Old 2013-11-10, 23:51   Link #169
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMichael View Post
Hmm, it's taking a while for Satoru to grow on me, i'm having a difficult time liking his character as much as I like Makoto and Gin.
Yeah, I was really liking the show until his arc started... it's like the show jutted off into a completely different direction, with him showing up as a second protagonist... His whole story/situation/personality is just utterly boring. It's not original or even interesting...
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 01:02   Link #170
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Loved episode 6. I could sympathize with everybody, from Makoto to Satoru to Hana to Makoto's friends. I liked the fact that Satoru didn't thaw quickly, and that he was provoked to anger that he then felt ashamed of.

I'm surprised that some people don't like Satoru. He seems like a real person to me, reacting naturally in a difficult and interesting situation. I quite like him and have hopes that he will become happier and more human.

I'm not thinking about any romance, but if Satoru/Hana x Makoto/Gin came to pass, I wouldn't complain. For one thing, it would mean that he had thawed a lot. I don't want the two of them to be semi-forced into a relationship they don't feel, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
...I'm also curious about the difference between shrines and temples.
Is it helpful for me to say that shrine (jinja) is Shinto, temple (tera) is Buddhist? I (and others here) could say a lot more, but what do you want to know? What Flower wrote is a great general characterization. Or maybe next week's show will tell a lot.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 04:53   Link #171
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
Ryuuko blushing because of Senktsu...
In ep 2 when Makoto's father tells Funibashi about some of reasons why people walk on the left side of the steps at shrines and mentioned how it showed the importance of compromise I remember Funibashi blushing, but had no clue it could potentially blossom into attraction - although tbh I think it will not blossom into romance it's a pretty common pattern IRL....

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmetal View Post
Haru is so cute!

Really relaxing episode.
Who woulda thought Haru liked crossword puzzles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Yeah, I was really liking the show until his arc started... it's like the show jutted off into a completely different direction, with him showing up as a second protagonist... His whole story/situation/personality is just utterly boring. It's not original or even interesting...
Really? Well, to each their own, I guess. I find his chara portrayal and development very real and interesting.... Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Loved episode 6. I could sympathize with everybody, from Makoto to Satoru to Hana to Makoto's friends. I liked the fact that Satoru didn't thaw quickly, and that he was provoked to anger that he then felt ashamed of....

Is it helpful for me to say that shrine (jinja) is Shinto, temple (tera) is Buddhist? I (and others here) could say a lot more, but what do you want to know? ... Or maybe next week's show will tell a lot.
Yikes! Forget about the Shinto and Buddhist identifications. Duh. Thanks for pointing that out.

Looks like next week we will finally meet the two monkey looking herald looking things that show up in the OP. Looks like they are a mischevious pair as well....
Old 2013-11-11, 06:48   Link #172
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

With Gingitsune, tone is utterly crucial. The appeal of the series is almost entirely grounded in the way it makes you feel: the scenery, the characters, the interactions, the history. This episode had very little flash to it but for me it was a total success, because the mono no aware was so thick in the air you could have cut it with a knife. The emotions of the characters were so clear without needing to be explained with a lot of heavy dialogue: you knew exactly what Satoru and Haru and Makoto were feeling at every moment and what's more, you knew exactly why.

I think there's one key thing that's changed in Satoru, and it's very simple: gratitude. Gratitude towards others humans is something he clearly hasn't felt for a long time (only towards Haru and Otomatsu) but Tatsuo and Makoto have shown him kindness with no ulterior motive, and accepted him unconditionally. Gratitude is very fundamental to the entire concept of the Shinto Shrine - it's a place to show appreciation for the gifts that give humans the opportunity to live their short and humble lives. That's why Satoru's act of giving the charms to Funabashi and Ikegami was a quietly important symbolic moment - not just because it's only in the giving of them to others one cares about that they have meaning, but also because it shows how far he's come in being able to appreciate that others can be good to him simply for its own sake.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 06:53   Link #173
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Iirc one difference is that shrines are mainly associated with "life"; you know, things like coming of age ceremonies, praying for particular things, etc., whereas temples are mostly associated with both "death" (esp funerals) and asceticism/monasticism type of stuff.

Those who know more please chime in!
Should I spoiler tag this, in case people want to be surprised next week?

In broad terms - which is I suspect where Gingitsune is going to take it - in Japan Shrines (Jinja) are Shinto and Temples (O-tera) are Buddhist. It gets pretty complicated, because Buddhism and Shinto are massively tangled together after co-existing (not always peacefully) here for something like 1500 years, and many Temple complexes have "guardian Shrines" or even Shinto Shrines on-site, and many Shrines have Buddhist relics and altars. But basically, that's the difference.
Old 2013-11-11, 09:03   Link #174
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
So it take 3 teen girls to make Satoru mad and less of a stiff
Very demanding isn't he?...Kinda makes you wonder what they did to keep them all up so late...

Oh God I'm a bad man...a bad bad man...
Old 2013-11-11, 21:04   Link #175
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Awwww this was the best episode so far....

Haru/Gin FTW.
Old 2013-11-12, 22:42   Link #176
LKK

How old are Makoto, Satoru, and her friends? Or at least what grade(s) are they in? Hubby & I disagree on their ages. He thinks they're middle school students while I think they're high school age. (I skimmed through the thread looking for the answer, but I didn't see it mentioned.)

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-12, 23:00   Link #177
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
How old are Makoto, Satoru, and her friends? Or at least what grade(s) are they in? Hubby & I disagree on their ages. He thinks they're middle school students while I think they're high school age. (I skimmed through the thread looking for the answer, but I didn't see it mentioned.)
I am almost positive they mentioned high school. But maybe that was just my imagination
Old 2013-11-12, 23:25   Link #178
FateAnomaly

My bet is on high school too
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-12, 23:38   Link #179
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

I also thought it was high school, and that they were in their first year?
Old 2013-11-13, 02:54   Link #180
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I also thought it was high school, and that they were in their first year?
Right on all counts.

Tags
fantasy, shrine maiden, slice of life